PDA

View Full Version : Factotum into Chameleon Build Help

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-12-06, 04:36 PM
I have been trying to build a character that can do a bit everything to pick up some of the slack in a party of mostly newbies. So, not wanting to play a bard (I'm playing one in another game and want to do something new) I turned to the Factotum due to its sheer versatility. Trying to continue with the 'do anything' vibe I thought I would prestige into the Chameleon. So here's what I have so far:

Human Factotum 1/Cleric 1/Factotum 3/Chameleon 2/Factotum 4/ Chameleon x/Factotum x

32 point-buy

Str: 8
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 18
Wis: 14
Cha: 8

Feats:
H: Able Learner
1: Font of Inspiration
(From Cleric): Knowledge Devotion, Travel Devotion
3: Font of Inspiration
6: Font of Inspiration
9:
12:
15:
18:

Some notes:
1) I have read the handbooks so you don't need to link them.
2) Flaws are not allowed right now, the DM might change this later.
3) I am considering taking the Cloister Cleric ACF so I can grab the Undeath domain to get extra Turn attempts to fuel Travel Devotion.
4) I hadn't planned on taking Iaijutsu Focus but am not opposed to the idea.
5) I am grabbing Collector of Stories at level 2 to aid with Knowledge Devotion so no need to point it out.
6) We will most likely start at level 1 or 3.

Thoughts on the build, feats, items that are must haves, good tactics to know?

Bloodgruve
2012-12-07, 12:18 AM
I currently run a factotum, the only thing that I don't like about the core class is that it's pretty weak in combat unless you do some focused optimizing. If you can work in some way to do more damage the class is just amazing... I just need to be somewhat proficient in combat to feel good about a class, but that's just me.

I run the Dark Whisper Gnome Iaijutsu Focus Quickrazor slashy Factotum. Its amazing damage but needs a lot of focus to get there. But with all the Factotum tricks you can have your cake and eat it too. Jack of all trades, master of hide and IF :P I would suggest against this though as you would need to burn a lot of options and LA1 to get it to trigger consistently.

I would highly suggest getting to Factotum8 Cunning Surge ASAP, extra standard actions are just way too good, this was a huge turning point in my character development and game play. You won't need a lot of Fonts until you get this, then you'll burn through inspiration quickly. Rules aren't clear so I limit this to once per round. Cunning Surge would be crazy with Travel Devotion... Don't waste your inspiration on Cunning Strike.

To maximize KD you'll want multiple attacks. A few suggestions to make this build good in combat;

*See if you DM allows Cunning Stike to qualify for Craven feat and get TWF. Good damage stacking through any class progression!

*Or get creative with Alter Self and get some good Natural Attacks and AC out of it. Even better with Craven ;)

*Lastly you could look at a trip build letting Brains over Brawn boost it.

My factotum was the funnest character I've played, you're in for a fun ride if you can get some decent damage going. :)

Blood~

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-12-07, 05:20 PM
I've been playing around with the idea to get Sculpt Spell (somehow) and mix it with the Whirling Blade spell for some damage that runs off Int without using Inspiration. Would this be a feasible way to do combat with a Factotum without Iaijutsu Focus or would it eat up too many resources?

Venger
2012-12-07, 06:47 PM
factotum handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0)

chameleon handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8750.0)

two great resources. I've been playing a factotum/chameleon for 3 years, it's the best.

My apologies. I haven't slept in like 30 hours. finals do terrible things to my reading comprehension.

if you have a level free someplace, a 1 lvl dip in mindbender is a good use of resources. factotum 5+ gives the caster level, and having all the skills it needs as class skills means you can qualify on time. it also lets you take lords of madness's mindsight (radar for intelligent creatures!) which can help you be a good scout for the party

For a 1 level dip Cloistered cleric is superior to cleric in almost every way. An alternative to the undeath domain is the Magic domain, now you can use Cleric AND wizard wands

I'd say every way, honestly, you don't care about the 1 hp on average you're losing:

here's a handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2773) about dipping cloistered cleric 1. it's very helpful

docnessuno
2012-12-07, 07:21 PM
1) I have read the handbooks so you don't need to link them.

factotum handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0)

chameleon handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8750.0)

two great resources. I've been playing a factotum/chameleon for 3 years, it's the best.

Funny isn't it?

On a more serious note, the build looks good but i'd grab factotum 8 before everything else. If you are going to take Font of Inspiration multiple times, Cunning Surge is pretty much the most powerful class feature of the whole game (well, excluding "spellcasting" and "manifesting")

RAW collector of stories doesn't work with Knowledge devotion, but any sane DM will houserule it to work.

You might want to grab Scrolls of Uncertain Provenience [MiC]. Forget about the relic power and everythign else, it's +5 to every knowledge skill for a couple thousands GP.

For a 1 level dip Cloistered cleric is superior to cleric in almost every way. An alternative to the undeath domain is the Magic domain, now you can use Cleric AND wizard wands.

About feats, you are a jack of all trats, so unless you want to pick up a field and specializa in it you can just keep selecting Font of inspiration untill your DM starts munbling about "rock fall, you die".

Tokuhara
2012-12-07, 10:14 PM
My only 2c, as someone who has played and played with a Factotum/Chameleon, is that level 1 works well as a Changeling Rogue 1. 10+INT skill Points @ level 1 is worth it.

Bloodgruve
2012-12-08, 03:09 AM
My only 2c, as someone who has played and played with a Factotum/Chameleon, is that level 1 works well as a Changeling Rogue 1. 10+INT skill Points @ level 1 is worth it.

This would definitely qualify you for Craven ;)

Blood

Wise Green Bean
2012-12-08, 03:14 AM
INT to STR checks has always screamed trip build to me.

Tokuhara
2012-12-08, 06:06 AM
This would definitely qualify you for Craven ;)

Blood

While true, without a lot of Sneak Attck dice, craven is irrelevant, since 1 point of damage/character level isn't worth a feat IMHO.