PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Spellcasting Feat?

Chilingsworth
2012-12-06, 07:11 PM
Hey Guys,

I was wondering, what feats are out there that allow a wizard to hide the fact he's casting a spell? I could have sworn there was at least one, but I can't seem to find it.

I know a still silent spell will do the job, but I'm trying to avoid anything that will increase spell level.

Amnestic
2012-12-06, 07:22 PM
I dunno about feats, but there's the Conceal Spellcasting skilltrick from Complete Scoundrel.

pHalcyon
2012-12-06, 07:23 PM
Does the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick work? It's only once per encounter, but that's probably all you're going to need it for anyway.

False Theurgy, also a skill trick lets you change the verbal and somatic components, and the Invisible Spell metamagic feat makes the spell, well, invisible, at no increased spell level.

You could also bother your DM about being able to whisper and make minuscule motions as your verbal and somatic components, perhaps with bluff and sleight of hand checks a la Conceal Spellcasting, but houserules are houserules.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-06, 07:30 PM
Deceptive Spell from Cityscape can help too. If you can avoid being seen when you cast the spell, they won't be able to simply follow the ray or whatever back to the source to determine it came from you.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-06, 07:40 PM
Deceptive spell sounds useful, but I'd like to be able to cast a spell in full view and not have it be automatically (or even easily) known.

My DM doesn't allow skill tricks.
Invisible Spell only hides the effect of the spell, not the spellcasting itself (still useful though.)
I can't just whisper and make small movements while casting. I already tried pressing the issue. When I did, my DM swore there was a feat to allow me to hide my spellcasting. I haven't found it yet.

Specifically, I expect to use this feat (if it can be found) to cast charm, domination, and suggestion spells without any companions my target might have realizing I've done anything to him/her.

Venusaur
2012-12-06, 07:52 PM
A skill usage in Races of Stone lets you do that, but you need good sleight of hand.

Viscerator
2012-12-06, 07:52 PM
Deceptive spell sounds useful, but I'd like to be able to cast a spell in full view and not have it be automatically (or even easily) known.

My DM doesn't allow skill tricks.
Invisible Spell only hides the effect of the spell, not the spellcasting itself (still useful though.)
I can't just whisper and make small movements while casting. I already tried pressing the issue. When I did, my DM swore there was a feat to allow me to hide my spellcasting. I haven't found it yet.

Specifically, I expect to use this feat (if it can be found) to cast charm, domination, and suggestion spells without any companions my target might have realizing I've done anything to him/her.

the easiest but not most efficient way is to select still/silent/eschew material feats, to get rid of your somatic/verbal/material components of spells.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-06, 07:56 PM
the easiest but not most efficient way is to select still/silent/eschew material feats, to get rid of your somatic/verbal/material components of spells.

I know about that option, but I'm looking for ways that don't cause spell level increase. If the playground can't find the feat by Sunday (my next session), I'm willing to assume it doesn't exist and will report as much to my DM. He did say something about being willing to allow skill tricks as feats, or maybe he'll homebrew something.

Viscerator
2012-12-06, 08:25 PM
I know about that option, but I'm looking for ways that don't cause spell level increase. If the playground can't find the feat by Sunday (my next session), I'm willing to assume it doesn't exist and will report as much to my DM. He did say something about being willing to allow skill tricks as feats, or maybe he'll homebrew something.

you can use race changeling, and enter recaster prestige class. It is a 4/5 class, but grant many good bonus, including free eschew materials/still spell/silent spell/maximize spell/empower spell/quicken spell/sculpt spell/widen spell etc. depends on how many level you stay.

or figure out ways to make your charm/suggestion/domination be spell-like ability which need no verbal/somatic/materials, like enter runesmith/archmage.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-06, 08:37 PM
you can use race changeling, and enter recaster prestige class. It is a 4/5 class, but grant many good bonus, including free eschew materials/still spell/silent spell/maximize spell/empower spell/quicken spell/sculpt spell/widen spell etc. depends on how many level you stay.

or figure out ways to make your charm/suggestion/domination be spell-like ability which need no verbal/somatic/materials, like enter runesmith/archmage.

Sadly, the character already exists and isn't a changeling. Also, I only one unclaimed level in my build, and I wont have the feats to qualify for Archmage.

nedz
2012-12-06, 08:41 PM
Eshrew materials is +0, well technically it's a general feat.

Sudden Silent and Sudden Still spell will do the rest for +0, but only once per day.

Quicken and Sudden Quicken, though the former is +4 and the latter has 6 pre-req feats.

Metamagic reducers, such as Arcane Thesis, will reduce metamagic costs. Applying two of these can get you Still Spell and Silent Spell for +0

Innate Spell can make one spell an SLA, which will have no V, S or M components. Requires 3 feats as pre-reqs {Silent, Still, Quicken}. you can take it multiple times — each time for a different spell.

If you were a Bard you could use Disguise Spell

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-06, 08:43 PM
Races of Stone p 133. Sleight of Hand skill check.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-06, 08:45 PM
Hmm, I didn't realize that Innate spell only had three prereqs. I'm not sure if my DM will allow it, though.

I'm playing a wizard 4/ Beguiler 1 going into Ultimate Magus.

Slipperychicken
2012-12-06, 08:46 PM

To identify a spell being cast, you need only observe its Verbal or Somatic components. I'm going to assume that if you don't need Somatic components, the material/focus components aren't visible either, since you aren't physically removing them from the pouch or waving them around.

Easy Metamagic (Dragon Magazine 325) can cut the spell level costs down to zero. It's very feat intensive (4 feats. Doable at level 1 with Human and two flaws), but you can take both Verbal and Somatic components off all your spells for no spell level adjustment. Easy Meta: (Silent Spell), Easy Meta: (Still Spell), Still Spell, and Silent Spell. Apply those feats to every spell you prepare, ever. Add Eschew Materials if you feel like it.

Removing Somatic components actually allows you to wear armor and shields without incurring Arcane Spell Failure chance (No Somatic = No ASF), which is a pretty sweet deal for you, aside from applying ACP to Initiative checks. You can really screw with people's expectations by wearing equipment which people don't expect a Wizard to wear.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-06, 08:48 PM
Races of Stone p 133. Sleight of Hand skill check.

Thanks, but I don't see it on the page you listed. What's the feat called?

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-12-06, 08:51 PM
Thanks, but I don't see it on the page you listed. What's the feat called?

It's not a feat, merely an extension of the skill "Sleight of Hand." So you spend skill points versus a feat slot.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-06, 08:52 PM
To identify a spell being cast, you need only observe its Verbal or Somatic components. I'm going to assume that if you don't need Somatic components, the material/focus components aren't visible either, since you aren't physically removing them from the pouch or waving them around.

Easy Metamagic (Dragon Magazine 325) can cut the spell level costs down to zero. It's very feat intensive (4 feats. Doable at level 1 with Human and two flaws), but you can take both Verbal and Somatic components off all your spells for no spell level adjustment. Easy Meta: (Silent Spell), Easy Meta: (Still Spell), Still Spell, and Silent Spell. Apply those feats to every spell you prepare, ever. Add Eschew Materials if you feel like it.

Removing Somatic components actually allows you to wear armor and shields without incurring Arcane Spell Failure chance (No Somatic = No ASF), which is a pretty sweet deal for you, aside from applying ACP to Initiative checks. You can really screw with people's expectations by wearing equipment which people don't expect a Wizard to wear.

That would be extremely useful, except my DM doesn't allow material from Dragon, or flaws, and the character already exists.:smallfrown:

Chilingsworth
2012-12-06, 08:55 PM
It's not a feat, merely an extension of the skill "Sleight of Hand." So you spend skill points versus a feat slot.

I'll point that out to my DM, but seems convinced there's a feat for the purpose and so lmight not let me do it. He'll probably be reasonable though, especially if it turns out there really isn't such a feat.

Strange that a skill use like that didn't turn up in I don't know... either one of the sneaky-class books or one of the mage books, isn't it?

Slipperychicken
2012-12-06, 09:00 PM
Strange that a skill use like that didn't turn up in I don't know... either one of the sneaky-class books or one of the mage books, isn't it?

Rules Compendium 117. You do need to succeed on Sleight of Hand vs. Spot against each observer, which is no mean feat for a Wizard.

The_Snark
2012-12-06, 09:00 PM
I suspect your DM was thinking of the feat Disguise Spell, found in Complete Adventurer (p. 108). Unfortunately, it's useless for your purposes, because it's designed for bards - it requires Bardic Music and several ranks in Perform.

I recommend showing your DM the expanded Sleight of Hand rules in Races of Stone and seeing how he feels about those; if you have beguiler levels, you should be able to manage a passable Sleight of Hand check. Otherwise, yeah, see if you can get him to allow Conceal Spellcasting as a feat, or change Disguise Spell to key off Bluff/Sleight of Hand instead of Perform (and drop the bardic music requirement).

Lapak
2012-12-06, 09:10 PM
Hmm. Beguiler 1, hmm?

Glibness is on the Beguiler list. Get a wand of it. Cast it before entering the situation you think you may need a Suggestion/Charm/Dominate in.

Then you can go ahead and cast your spells as obviously as you please, as long as you precede it / follow it up with a +30 Bluff check:

- "May I perform a chant to bring the blessings of the gods upon us?"
- "Before we begin, I should ward the area against magical eavesdropping."
- (To the companions of the target) "Oh my gracious! An assassin is lurking in the shadows!" (Cast away while they momentarily hunt for an intruder.)

Invader
2012-12-06, 09:25 PM
Invisible spell wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Invader
2012-12-06, 09:30 PM
Admittedly it's more retroactive than proactive but it still helps plus it doesn't increase spell level.

Mephit
2012-12-06, 09:51 PM

Easy Metamagic (Dragon Magazine 325) can cut the spell level costs down to zero.

The feat description clearly states you cannot reduce the level below the spell's level + 1. In other words, it can never reduce the spell level increase to 0.

rot42
2012-12-07, 12:38 AM
In addition to Glibness suggested above, you might consider Voice of the Dragon (SpC 232). You can pre-cast it to buff your social skills for 10 min/level and then discharge the spell for Suggestion once you meet your mark. It takes a fourth level slot, though, so it will not be available for a few levels. The enterprising social magus might stack it with Insidious Insight (RoE 187).

Korivan
2012-12-07, 02:28 AM
Was invisible spell mentioned? That makes the spell itself invisible. Couple that with greater invisibility and silent spell and your pretty much golden. Against casters, add an extended range true seeing and non-detection (halfing luckstealer gets nondetection on spells themselves), avoid the range of regular true seeing, and deceptive spell to target them with spells that come at them from angles their vision can't see.

Slipperychicken
2012-12-07, 11:18 AM
The feat description clearly states you cannot reduce the level below the spell's level + 1. In other words, it can never reduce the spell level increase to 0.

Wow, I totally missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

PlusSixPelican
2012-12-07, 11:32 AM
You could always just do the somatics behind your back and cast in a weird language to help throw the enemy off. Not quite hiding it, but putting penalties on their check, surely.

Kalirren
2012-12-07, 11:43 AM
Gotta second the Snark here. Ask your DM for a home-rebrewing of Disguise Spell that keys off of Sleight of Hand. There's no reason for Disguise Spell to require bardic music. Nothing in the feat makes direct use of it.

You might still have difficulty arguing that a version of Disguise Spell that keys off of Sleight of Hand should suppress Verbal components, though.

My Bard uses both Disguise Spell, and Lyric Spell + Subsonics to accomplish hidden casting without spell level increase. Lyric Spell allows her to add her Bardic Music as an implement/component of a spell. Subsonics suppresses the audible portions of her bardic music effects, including spells cast through Lyric Spell, though it doesn't grant her the capability to cast in silence, and Disguise Spell suppresses her Verbal and Somatic components, subject to a opposed check of Spot versus her Perform check.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-10, 01:31 PM
Update:

Thanks to you guys' input and consensus, my DM believed me when I reported to him that there was no feat matching my needs. He's agreed to homebrew a solution. Thanks guys!

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-10, 01:32 PM
Update:

Thanks to you guys' input and consensus, my DM believed me when I reported to him that there was no feat matching my needs. He's agreed to homebrew a solution. Thanks guys!

Playground, FTW!!!

The Dark Child
2012-12-10, 05:27 PM
I've seen it seems finished, but there is a feat i know that can be used to conceal the verbal part of spellcasting: Nonverbal spell from the Planar Handbook allow anything that is a sound made using your mouth, be it a sight or an actual word, to be used as the verbal component of a spell.