PDA

View Full Version : Sacred Vows and Gray Guards: Loophole?

Getsugaru
2012-12-06, 07:42 PM
I've recently been looking at the rules for the Exalted feats, specifically Vow of Poverty. While it does grant some great stuff (especially when combined with this homebrew prestige class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227872)), the benefits aren't as good as Wealth by Level. So, I've been trying to find a way to get around the "no gear, no money, no borrowing" restriction. And then, while looking through Complete Scoundrel (let's face it, if anyone knows how to bend the rules, it's a Scoundrel), I found this:

Sacrament of the True Faith
A 10th level gray guard has his order's full confidence, and can act freely (within reason) to uphold the goals and tenets of his faith. He never needs to atone for violating his code of conduct in pursuit of a just cause, nor does he risk losing his class abilities.
Note, however, that this sacrament does not allow wanton slaughter or immoral behavior. The loosening of the code is a privilege, one that can be revoked if the gray guard commits grossly evil or immoral acts. The deity or leaders of the faith may see fit to expel you from the order, costing you both paladin and gray guard powers permanently.
Now, my question is this: could this be a possible way to get around the restrictions on equipment from VoP?

Chilingsworth
2012-12-06, 07:51 PM
By RAI, I'd guess no.

By RAW, well, Vow of poverty isn't a class ability, so it wouldn't be protected. As for looking at it as part of a code of conduct, voluntarily breaking your vow (which willingly using gear would be) doesn't even allow attonement as a way to get it back, so not having to attone wouldn't help. Involuntarily breaking your vow does allow attonement, so if you're dominated into using gear, you wouldn't lose your vow, I guess?

chaotician375
2012-12-06, 07:56 PM
I don't think so. the code of conduct its referring to is actually listed in the class descriptions of those classes who can loose power by violating them. And further more as a DM I wouldn't allow this for two reasons.

1: stacking vow of poverty with magic items is just too OP. The design was that it could replace needing magic items all together. It does not accomplish this as you can get better capabilities from the magic items u cant use, but using both is too much.

2: It's almost impossible to break it within the freedom of Sacrament of Truth. Now I realize that that's the point of the ability, but What does that mean for vow of poverty. Do you loose the abilities of the vow when u act in extreme violation of its tenants, saying that you cant use or own magic items can only be taken so far, you either use them or not, VOP doest specificly say anything about how the items or abilities granted are used, just that you cant use them.

pHalcyon
2012-12-06, 08:05 PM
The text of Sacrament of True Faith seems pretty explicit in only affecting your code of conduct. While they might overlap a bit in some places, a Paladin's code of conduct and any exalted vows he may have are different things entirely.

limejuicepowder
2012-12-06, 08:33 PM
I would agree with the above posters in that RAW or RAI, it's a no. The ability doesn't have a blanketing clause like "all of the characters vows are relaxed;" it's pretty obvious it's for the classes' own vows.

With that said, I would allow it in my game, with these qualifying conditions:

1) the item(s) must not belong to the character, but borrowed or picked up
2) it must be for a short (but non-specific) amount of time to accomplish a specific goal
3) the reason for item use must be to serve a Good purpose greater than the vow itself

Now I know these conditions leave all kinds of exploit room for the lawyer-minded, but I think common sense makes it rather obvious. Essentially, the character can use items when they are in desperate need.

Really, I would make a rule like this to be used in general. The vow as-written is ridiculously strict, and in the worst of cases forcing the character to break their vow to do what is good. It's silly, in other words.

TypoNinja
2012-12-06, 09:04 PM
There's no such thing as a Loophole. Not if you are Exalted.

The BoED mentions multiple times that many of the abilities and powers have an RP cost as well, the Saint template is the most obvious example. Look at all that power for a LA +2! And most completely overlook that you have to act like a Saint.

VoP is similar, its not just a OP choice, in universe your character has sworn an Oath to his Deity and is being reward for adhering to it and acting in accordance with the Exalted ideals.

Its not just a feat you trained in and learned something. God is granting you that power and if you upset him(or her) it can and will be revoked.

Considering the high standards of behavior for Exalted characters, just looking for a loophole is probably a no-no. You swore an Oath to your God, you must uphold the spirit as well as the letter of the agreement.