PDA

View Full Version : Pure Barbarian build

Sgtpepper
2012-12-06, 09:03 PM
I have access to Unearthed Arcana, Complete Warrior, Phb1 and 2, complete adventurer, and the fiendish codex. I don't know how relevant these books are but I need a pure, PURE Barbarian build.

gorfnab
2012-12-06, 10:25 PM
What kind of Barbarian do you want to build? Lockdown, charger, grappler, natural weapon fighter?

These handbooks may be of some use:

Consolidated Barbarian Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1472)
Being Bane: A Guide to Cracking Small Men (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=486)

Venger
2012-12-06, 10:40 PM
cityscape's web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) also has some useful stuff for barbarian, including the ferocity and streetfighter ACFs

Telonius
2012-12-07, 12:15 AM
I have access to Unearthed Arcana, Complete Warrior, Phb1 and 2, complete adventurer, and the fiendish codex. I don't know how relevant these books are but I need a pure, PURE Barbarian build.

Pure, as in, has to be Barbarian20? Or pure, as in, Barbarian plus an obviously Barbarian-related Prestige Class?

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-07, 12:36 AM
Fiendish Codex I (Hordes of the Abyss) or II (Tyrants of the Nine Hells)?

If it is I, the only part really worth any consideration is the Poison Healer feat. II on the other hand has the Hellbred race which is worth considering (Body Aspect) and the Hellreaver prestige class which has decent synergy with the Barbarian class.

In Complete Adventurer you should look at the feats Brutal Throw, Power Throw, and Leap Attack.

Complete Warrior has the prestige classes Bear Warrior, Eye of Gruumsh, and of course Frenzied Berserker. Reaping Mauler is worth a look too. Feats include Extend Rage, Extra Rage, Instantaneous Rage, Intimidating Rage, and Throw Anything.

As for Unearthed Arcana, I am not sure any of the races actually give you anything you need - a standard Half-Orc is probably a better Barbarian than any of the variants introduced. I'm also not impressed with the Totem Barbarian alternatives introduced here, but feel free to take a look.

As for PH2, don't go with the Berserker Strength ACF, it's not as good as Rage overall. Of the feats, Brutal Strike and Mad Foam Rager are worth a look.

Mostly though, you are going to be relying on the standard PH1 fare with a Barbarian build given the books available. Nothing wrong with a good-old Barbarian 20 if you decide to go that route.

[Edit: Sorry, I had Reaping Mauler confused with something else. DO NOT ever take this PrC. It's just bad.]

docnessuno
2012-12-07, 09:52 AM
The Bear totem barbarian from UA is nice for a grappler build, granting Improved grapple at level 2 and a +4 unnamed bonus to grapple checks while raging at level 5. The rest of the features are underwhelming tho.

Wolf totem allows you to pick up Improved trip without needing Int 13 or Combat expertise.

Dragon totem grants you Frightful presence at level 5, wich might be useful for fear-stacking builds.

Whirling frenzy variant from UA is very nice (amazing at low levels or in low-magic campaigns).

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-07, 10:35 AM
The Bear totem barbarian from UA is nice for a grappler build, granting Improved grapple at level 2 and a +4 unnamed bonus to grapple checks while raging at level 5. The rest of the features are underwhelming tho.

I know I said I wasn't impressed with any of the totem barbarian variants, but this could actually go pretty well with Bear Warrior from CW.