PDA

View Full Version : Temporary HP question

Nexahs
2012-12-06, 09:18 PM
I was just reading about temporary hit points, and I'm a little confused. The SRD makes it sound like if you have any temporary HP, if you take damage you'll lose those, but not regular HP. So like, example:

Gorn the half-Orc fighter is locked in a deadly struggle with a vampire. The vampire bites Gorn and drinks his blood, gaining five temporary hit points on top of its remaining 9 HP. Gorn responds with a vicious downward swing of his greatsword, dealing 8 points of damage to the hideous creature.

How much HP does the vampire have left? Nine, or six?

pHalcyon
2012-12-06, 09:21 PM
You lose temporary hitpoints before normal ones, but additional damage over the temporary ones are subtracted from your regular total.

So the vampire has six.

Nexahs
2012-12-06, 09:51 PM
You lose temporary hitpoints before normal ones, but additional damage over the temporary ones are subtracted from your regular total.

So the vampire has six.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. :smallamused:

Torben Raibeart
2012-12-07, 08:17 AM
While we're on the subject of temporal hitpoints: Can they keep you alive if you should be dead?

For example: Let's say I'm a mid-level wizard (let's say 8) battling a vampire. I only have 4 hp left, and cast False Life on myself, giving me 14 temp hp. then I get blooddrained, losing 4 con. Now I'm at -12 hp, but got 14 temp. Am I still alive?

Cranthis
2012-12-07, 08:19 AM
While we're on the subject of temporal hitpoints: Can they keep you alive if you should be dead?

For example: Let's say I'm a mid-level wizard (let's say 8) battling a vampire. I only have 4 hp left, and cast False Life on myself, giving me 14 temp hp. then I get blooddrained, losing 4 con. Now I'm at -12 hp, but got 14 temp. Am I still alive?

Yeah, but you had better get healed quickly, because when those temp points fade, you die.

mattie_p
2012-12-07, 08:57 AM
Cranthis, that is incorrect.

Temporary Hit Points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#temporaryHitPoints)
Certain effects give a character temporary hit points. When a character gains temporary hit points, note his current hit point total. When the temporary hit points go away the character’s hit points drop to his current hit point total. If the character’s hit points are below his current hit point total at that time, all the temporary hit points have already been lost and the character’s hit point total does not drop further.

Cranthis
2012-12-07, 09:02 AM
Huh. Confusing.

jindra34
2012-12-07, 09:11 AM
MAttie_P while in effect Temporary Hitpoints do raise your total, and loosing CON lowers your total as opposed to actually doing damage(ergo why I like to keep track of top HP, and damage seprately with Temp HP on a Die on top.). The hypothetical wizard would be at -8 and bleeding out (which would go to temp HP but at this point it doesn't really matter) and would die in a couple of rounds regardless with out healing. Err... forgot numbers, the wizard would still have 2 HP but still emergency healing is a good idea.
EDIT: Made numbers mistake.

mattie_p
2012-12-07, 09:53 AM
Yes, confusing all around. Remember that regardless of your constitution modifier and the size of your hit die, you still get a minimum of 1 HP per level.
You apply your character’s Constitution (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#constitutionCon) modifier to:

Each roll of a Hit Die (though a penalty can never drop a result below 1—that is, a character always gains at least 1 hit point each time he or she advances in level

So even if your constitution gets drained, subtract HP, but not to the extent that your max HP dips below your total hit dice.

And healing at that point is kind of moot - time to run away (if you can).