PDA

View Full Version : Character roleplaying

thriceborn
2012-12-06, 10:12 PM
Curious how people would play different character archetypes. List a character back story, and any class/race/whatever and see how others would play the same character.

My question, how would you play a war veteran, the war basically being Vietnam who's entire enemy base was the Vietcong, no other forces involved, who is inventive and creative? Would you reference the war often or not at all. What type of spells would you favor if you were a spell caster, and what tactics would you employ? Played with a good sense of strategy, or with to many memories of war to be a good tactician?

Matticussama
2012-12-06, 10:25 PM
Since you compared it to a Vietnam-style war (I'll assume similar jungle terrain as well as political conditions) then the attitude probably depends upon whether or not the character's side won. If it did, then I would take influence from the character The Comedian from Watchmen: tough, arrogant, and somewhat brutal. If you haven't watched or read, basically he believes that humans are savage in nature, and that civilization can never be more than an idea. He fought with brutal efficiency, and since his side won he believes that his opinions on human nature were essentially validated.

If the character's side lost, then there are plenty of examples of Vietnam vets to draw inspiration from. The character probably wouldn't talk about it a whole lot, other than when he has to.

As far as war and strategy, it would probably inspire a lot of guerrilla warfare style tactics. In most games, those are the sorts of tactics a party will favor anyways (small groups v.s big groups) and this character would know quite a bit about them. Regarding spells, he would probably favor a lot of terrain controlling spells, spells allowing ambushes (invisibility, illusions, etc) and debuffs that can demoralize the enemy. A frightened and weakened enemy is much better to spring an ambush on than a strong and confident enemy.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-12-06, 10:25 PM
Inventive and creative 'Nam vet. Hmmm...

MacGyver. :smallamused:

Razanir
2012-12-06, 11:52 PM
Well you managed to double post 12 hours apart... somehow. Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263551) an identical thread

thriceborn
2012-12-07, 06:58 AM
In my defense, I posted after just waking up for a class, and didn't realize I had the issue until just now. Is there anyway to sync the threads?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-07, 07:12 AM
In my defense, I posted after just waking up for a class, and didn't realize I had the issue until just now. Is there anyway to sync the threads?

Report the OP from both threads to the mods, preferably in as short a time frame as you can manage, and they'll fold the two together. Alternately, just PM one of them. There's a list at the bottom of the page where threads are listed.

Bastian Weaver
2012-12-07, 01:55 PM
I'd play a war vet who returned from Vietnam as a strange, quiet guy with long hair and a beard, who moves from little town to little town, looking for some place that will accept him. He'd be also prone to outbursts of violence when placed in little damp rooms, or when facing someone who holds a razor blade.
And he'd eventually get to Mexica and live in a little town and swim in the sea every day.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-07, 03:00 PM
I'd play him as a quiet spoken man with surprising skills. Not easily angered, but if sufficiently provoked, he will use those skills on you. Speaks rough, but usable Vietnamese or whatever the language of the nation in question was.
He won't talk about his experiences unless he really, really trusts you.

Susano-wo
2012-12-10, 01:08 AM
Just gotta say: The Commedian's side didn't win, and his worldview is informed by what he has seen and done(well, he's said to be a reflection of the world at one point, but that's really speaking to his meta role as a representative of the 'Ages' of comic books), and he feels it is validated by the ubiquitous presence of similar behavior in the world.:smallsmile:

Matticussama
2012-12-10, 03:59 AM
Just gotta say: The Commedian's side didn't win, and his worldview is informed by what he has seen and done(well, he's said to be a reflection of the world at one point, but that's really speaking to his meta role as a representative of the 'Ages' of comic books), and he feels it is validated by the ubiquitous presence of similar behavior in the world.:smallsmile:

I don't want to go too off-topic from the OP's topic, but the Comedian's side did win. He fought for the US Government, which won the war after they deployed Dr. Manhattan and North Vietnam surrendered. That is a pretty big part of the Comedian's nihilistic attitude towards life in-character. That aside, I agree that his worldview was most definitely influenced by what he had seen and done both in the war and elsewhere which is why I suggested him as one possible option to take influence from for a Vet character in that sort of environment.

GoddessSune
2012-12-10, 09:01 PM
My question, how would you play a war veteran, the war basically being Vietnam who's entire enemy base was the Vietcong, no other forces involved, who is inventive and creative?

Macgyver, Rambo, and the entire A-team come to mind...

thriceborn
2012-12-12, 10:02 AM
Thank you for all the replies, I was worrying about how I was playing my current character, an artificer who was based on the initial post, and was hoping I could get some more advice, and I definitely got some. Love Macguyver and A-Team so this is a good thing.

Next question of roleplay. If someone brought in a beserker, how would you react? It's more a matter of personal curiosity. I know how my character himself would react, but I want to know how peoples imagined 'vet' would react.

Greylond
2012-12-12, 10:40 AM
Want some inspiration for a character like that? Check out Glen Cook's novels in his Garrett series. It is a Fantasy world with Pulp Detective mixed in and the main character, Garrett, is a veteran of a war very similar to what you describe. Except in that war there are two major combatants battling for control of an area rich in Silver and there is a native, guerrilla element between them. The first book deals with a mission back to the war area but the rest of the books are all based in and around the city Garrett lives in. Many of the characters that Garrett interacts with are veterans of that war.

thriceborn
2012-12-12, 10:54 AM
Want some inspiration for a character like that? Check out Glen Cook's novels in his Garrett series. It is a Fantasy world with Pulp Detective mixed in and the main character, Garrett, is a veteran of a war very similar to what you describe. Except in that war there are two major combatants battling for control of an area rich in Silver and there is a native, guerrilla element between them. The first book deals with a mission back to the war area but the rest of the books are all based in and around the city Garrett lives in. Many of the characters that Garrett interacts with are veterans of that war.

THanks, I'll check those out once I get some money, being a broke college student sucks sometimes. I have been watching a lot of old movies, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, and some others, they're really good for inspiration. They don't show the after effects, but it's good for showing what it was like, even watching it through a screen.

Susano-wo
2012-12-12, 06:23 PM
I don't want to go too off-topic from the OP's topic, but the Comedian's side did win. He fought for the US Government, which won the war after they deployed Dr. Manhattan and North Vietnam surrendered. That is a pretty big part of the Comedian's nihilistic attitude towards life in-character. That aside, I agree that his worldview was most definitely influenced by what he had seen and done both in the war and elsewhere which is why I suggested him as one possible option to take influence from for a Vet character in that sort of environment.

You know I forgot about that. I was just thinking Vietnam in general. :smalleek: