PDA

View Full Version : [PH] 1st campaign, flying Strix ranged: ranger, fighter, or gunslinger

SaltyEmperorX
2012-12-07, 01:11 AM
So I am really interested the flying race Strix and would like to make a ranged character around him for my first Pathfinder campaign. I am sure that there are better/easier ways of doing it, but this is really the only thing that I want set in stone. I just do not know if fighter, ranger, or gunslinger would be best. I have read some people say that gunslinger is just a no-no. I found an alternate gunslinger here (http://heroesofalvena.wikidot.com/gunslinger), but that simply provides a link to a mediafire download. I checked it to be fine, but of course, use your own discretion.

I THINK we might be starting at lvl 5, and the DM is coming up with his own ability score determining system. No one else has decided or said what they want to be, yet. Weapons and other equipment, feats, traits, the works, everything is welcome and very much appreciated.

Deathkeeper
2012-12-07, 01:55 AM
Don't go fighter. Fighter doesn't get free feats.
Ranger or Gunslinger. And honestly, there's nothing wrong with Gunslinger. If you go for a rifle you pretty much have to go Musket Master, but as a damaging range character, they work fine. Their level 5 power means they can put all their points into Dex for damage, unlike Rangers who need a Dex/Str split and Composite bows if they want any decent damage modifiers (although they do alright without them)
However, Rangers have more versatility; they have more skill points and more uses outside of combat. If you don't mind being a character whose main utility is damage and nothing else, Gunslinger is fine. If you want to have more versatility at the cost of some damage output, Ranger may be better.