PDA

View Full Version : Your Top Five Systems

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-12-07, 02:22 AM
What are your top five favorite generic (or at least flexible) RPG systems?

Mine are, in no particular order ...

Savage Worlds (Deluxe Edition). Savage Worlds is basically the action movie system. It favors being cinematic over being realistic, and being simple over being deep. SW doesn't work for everything, but its fast, free-wheeling, and fun. It almost requires miniatures, but makes good use of them.
New World of Darkness. NWoD isn't a generic system, but it can be very easily adapted to many different genres. It even has a supplement called Mirrors, which is essentially a manual for doing just that. The dice pool system is easy, stylish, and internally consistent. There are also interesting mechanics specifically designed to mechanically reward good roleplaying.
D&D Fifth Edition (or D&D Next). Also not exactly a generic system, but D&D 5e is designed to work with any sub-genre of fantasy. The d20-based core mechanic makes it familiar, and the innovative features and well-crafted content makes it worth switching to. Still in open Beta.
Basic RolePlaying. Basic RolePlaying (or BRP) is a rather obscure generic system that powers Call of Cthulhu. It is gritty and reasonably realistic, while still being simple. The d100 core mechanic is nicely easy to explain to newcomers.
Risus. The only system I have completely memorized, that I can explain the entirety of to anyone in under three minutes.

Totally Guy
2012-12-07, 03:22 AM
Isn't the point of generic systems that you don't need five of them? :smalltongue:

I've yet to find a generic system that works for me. I'm interested in the new Fate kickstarter although I haven't backed it yet.

Scots Dragon
2012-12-07, 03:45 AM
I actually personally dislike most generic systems. If only because I like many different genres, and I find that a system built to try and encompass every single genre is often on to a losing streak before it begins. The closest I've seen is GURPS, and I still wouldn't use that to run genres outside of science fiction and modern-day stuff, along with a bit of low-level fantasy.

Nonetheless, for me, I suppose it'd be...

GURPS
AD&D
Rolemaster/MERP
Star Wars D6
Mutants & Masterminds

hiryuu
2012-12-07, 03:52 AM
In no particular order?

Deadlands - I just got done running a pseudo-Rifts game with Hell on Earth and it was beautiful. (I despise Savage Worlds, personally. It is literally the unit creation rules from Deadlands: Rail Wars expanded into a pseudo-system, and it does not really work for my group.)
Mutants & Masterminds - I haven't found something I can't make.
ORE/Wild Talents - I haven't found something I can't make.
Legend of the Five Rings (4E) - Roll and keep is fun and wonky. I want to use it to run Avatar. I want to use it to run modern spy shenanigans. I want to use it to run deep space hijinks.
Shadowrun (4E) - I am wanting to run Fallout using this system.

Eldan
2012-12-07, 04:04 AM
Ooh, Generic is hard. I haven't played many of those.

I can't think of any other than FATE. Shadowrun, WoD, Mutants and Masterminds, D&D... you can all use them for different genres, but they are clearly intended for one thing.

Morph Bark
2012-12-07, 06:10 AM
"Or at least flexible".

D&D 3.5 with lots of homebrew. :smallamused::smallwink:

eggs
2012-12-07, 06:41 AM
1. Fate 2e - Fudge+Aspects, no Stunts. Rules provide an explicit and simple way of integrating qualitative traits into the game's numeric engine, with no big set of character-contingent rules to feel obligated familiarize with before making an informed character-building choice.
2. Fudge - Like Fate, but with less explaining and fewer big empty lines for new players to fill in.

Does Fiasco count?

I'm much more a fan of specialized games.

Killer Angel
2012-12-07, 06:51 AM
I'm much more a fan of specialized games.

Me too, but my vote for generic systems, goes to GURPS.

Yora
2012-12-07, 07:11 AM
D&D 5th Edition
AD&D 2nd Edition
Star Wars Saga
Shadowrun 4th? Edition
Mouse Guard

prufock
2012-12-07, 09:51 AM
1. Mutants and Masterminds (3e). This is almost the only system you need. It models any cinematic setting pretty well, but is best suited to superheroes.

2. D&D 3.5. It's the system I've had the most play under, and the most time DMing. I know it has its flaws, but I've grown to love it like a comfy chair.

3. Star Wars SAGA. This is the Star Wars system done right.

4. D6 homebrew anything. For one-shot, simple style games, this is my go-to system. I've used it for space exploration, Ghostbusters, and a horror campaign. I tweak it for whatever the setting needs, and it's oh so easy.

That's pretty much all I ever use any more, but if I have to pick a 5th:

5. Paranoia! XP. The rule system is easy and fits the feel of the game. And that is all I will say about that. Oh, and reading this white text is treason. Please report to your nearest re-education facility.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-12-07, 10:20 AM
Does Fiasco count?
And here I thought I was the only one who'd come up with that idea...

Wyntonian
2012-12-07, 11:55 AM
I still like 3.5. It's flawed, poorly administrated, whatever, but it's still fun.

Pathfinder is good too.

I'm also developing a strong affinity for the Dresden Files RPG. It's pretty fun.

Siegel
2012-12-07, 01:47 PM
Burning Wheel
Mouse Guard
Fiasco
Apocalypse World
5? Not sure. Maybe Burning Empires (still no chance to play) or Fate(Dresden Files)

Grod_The_Giant
2012-12-07, 02:21 PM
I don't know that I've got 5 different systems, but another vote for Mutants and Masterminds. Really, all you need to do is rewrite the ranks and measures table to scale more slowly, and it will work for anything. (Some of my friends and I are using it to play Exalted, for example. It works much, much better than the "real" rules).

Mordar
2012-12-07, 02:34 PM
While they aren't really "generic", there are a few that I've seen applied to pretty diverse settings (and really liked). They are:

ICE/RoleMaster
Chaosium (Call of C'thulhu (multiple eras), Stormbringer, Pendragon, etc.)
OWoD

I guess this harkens back to the era when each company created a system, and then created multiple settings for fun play within that system...

If I could only ever play one of them, it'd be a tough choice between RoleMaster and Chaosium.

- M

Tengu_temp
2012-12-07, 02:57 PM
Let's see now:

5. Exalted - the system is an imbalanced and clunky mess, yes, but I like how much creativity in brings up in me. Also, the setting is great, but we're talking about mechanics here.
4. nWoD - I'm only learning it now, but it's a streamlined version of Exalted with most (but not all) of its issues fixed and a more elegant combat mechanic. Definitely an improvement.
3. Legends of the Wulin - a system that's very balanced and encourages roleplaying and tactical solutions at once. Pity the rules are explained in such a confusing manner in the book... The system is not universal per se, but it works well for all games that focus on flashy martial arts, no matter the setting.
2. Fate/Spirit of the Century - cinematic, fast, fun, well-balanced, encourages roleplaying, extremely versatile, rules-light. My go-to system for games where the characters are supposed to have little to no supernatural abilities.
1. Mutants and Masterminds - cinematic, fast, fun, well-balanced, encourages roleplaying, extremely versatile, pretty rules-heavy. My go-to system for games where the characters are supposed to have supernatural abilities, and my favorite RPG system ever. I played countless different games in this system and it worked well for all of them, and amusingly enough none of them were even about traditional Marvel/DC-like superheroes.

Honorable mentions: I'd probably put Burning Wheel and Savage Worlds on the list, but I haven't actually read their books and I want to be fair in my judgement. I'd put Earthdawn on the list, but its mechanics are too closely tied to the setting to count as a flexible system.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-12-07, 09:41 PM
I haven't really played all that many generic systems, certainly not five of them. Instead, I'll just echo that Mutants and Masterminds is my favorite (though it's hard to me the top on a list of one, so I suppose it's also technically my least favorite).

I've yet to find a generic system that works for me. I'm interested in the new Fate kickstarter although I haven't backed it yet.

Ah, it's caught my eye too. Been meaning to look at Fate/Fudge, and was thinking that this Fate Core thing would be just the excuse to do so. Currently trying to decide on whether or not I want to throw down the extra $20 for a physical copy of the rules.

Link, for those interested. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/fate-core)

Libertad
2012-12-08, 04:57 PM
Don't have a top 5, but I really like the D20 System, Mutants & Masterminds, and Mouse Guard (Burning Wheel).

D20's my most familiar system, and my group can easily digest it. Plus it's got a lot of versatility.

M&M is the best system to use for superhero RPGs, bar none. Great for other action genres, too!

Mouse Guard. Haven't had the chance to play it, but I love how it blends game mechanics with descriptive storytelling, and puts the initiative on player action with its unique "turn" system.

Draz74
2012-12-08, 05:31 PM
Legend is surprisingly good at adapting to different genres. Fantasy, modern, sci-fi ... it doesn't matter, as long as you want an over-the-top-cinematic feel to the game.

Other than that, my favorite systems are mostly pretty specific rather than generic. RISUS is ok, and I here enough about Fate to at least be curious what I've "missed" when I've looked over the system in the past.

I have to disagree with D&D (any edition) being adaptable for other genres. I'd much rather adapt Legend than adapt D&D if I'm going out of the traditional high fantasy style. Same with CRE8 -- it doesn't try to be generic or even flexible. Likewise, I'd rather use Legend than try to adapt Mutants & Masterminds to a non-superhero genre. Etc., etc.

EDIT: Hmmm, what are the main differences between Fate and Cortex, again? Remembered.

snoopy13a
2012-12-08, 07:04 PM
I like:

1) Marvel Super-Heroes (percentile die)
2) Star Wars D6
3) Mechwarrior (Battletech RP game, uses D6 but a different system)

erikun
2012-12-09, 01:51 AM
Systems I like include WoD, Fudge, HeroQuest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroQuest_(role-playing_game)), and Burning Wheel. Sadly I have a group to play these systems (my current is mostly interested in D&D d20), but I have liked what I have played in them.

Link, for those interested. (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/fate-core)
Thank you for linking this. I know what I'm spending money on next.

rorikdude12
2012-12-09, 05:27 AM
1) GURPS
2) Savage Worlds
3) Risus
4) BRP
5) True20

"Homebrewed D&D 3.5" or "Homebrewed Shadowrun", or "tweaked" variations, DOES NOT MAKE A SYSTEM GENERIC!!!

Tengu_temp
2012-12-09, 12:02 PM
Good that the OP said "or at least flexible", then.

IdleMuse
2012-12-16, 07:01 PM
Fiasco is great fun. I've read Risus, and it seems okaaay, I'd much prefer it to Fate, which I really dislike (despite being in some good games of it; Fate Dark Sun was... odd), but oversimple systems don't really float my boat, save for Fiasco. My five would have to be, in the order I think of them..

1. Star Wars SAGA, as people above have mentioned, Star Wars done right. You can run any kind of star wars game with this.

2. Legend of the Five Rings (4th). The system is good, the setting is great. Some of my most special roleplaying moments have come from L5R, and it can so easily be adapted to any oriental theme.

3. Traveller. I'm actually surprising myself by listing this; I haven't played or run very much Traveller, but to me it evokes a feeling that I get from no other sci-fi game; very, sort of, ground-level. Sci-fi with no setting required.

Beyond that, I dunno really.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-12-16, 08:25 PM
Isn't the point of generic systems that you don't need five of them? :smalltongue:

Well, depends on how you define "generic." A generic system, to me, is a system that is neutral as to the details of the setting: It works just as well if you're playing with robots and spaceships or cavemen and dinosaurs. Both FATE and In A Wicked Age are "generic" systems by this definition (exempting the oracle deck), but they're very, very different styles of game.

Vitruviansquid
2012-12-16, 08:29 PM
My top five systems... jesus, I think I've only ever played five systems. :smalleek:

OverdrivePrime
2012-12-16, 08:31 PM
Pathfinder / D&D 3.5
Shadowrun 4th edition (I ran a totally sweet bronze age campaign with the Shadowrun system. It was pretty boss.
nWoD
Immortal 3rd Edition

Gurps was fun to make characters in, but took forever to get through any interactions that involved dice.
Palladium... requires way too much making @$(#& up off the top of your head.