PDA

View Full Version : PSP help me please !

Timberwolf
2006-10-29, 10:44 AM
Hi, I'm a graphical newbie and I'm currently having fun playing around with PSP X and I can't quite work something out. Could someone please tell me how to remove the background from my image so that the image is not rectangular or square but conforms to the outline of my image.

Say, for the sake of argument that I didn't want my sig to be rectangular but rather having it hug the outline of the mech and the swordfighters, how would I go about removing the rectangularness ?, kind of so that it works like my old mechwarrior sig. http://www.geocities.com/dwgh2000/TBSiegfried.gif

Thanks for any help and if it made no sense, sorry

DArKandEViL
2006-10-31, 06:12 PM
If you have PSP, photoshop or Fireworks, or many other Programs, select magic wand, or live select and ctrl x on any thing you want, Then on a new canvas with the same size, you paste what you want on to it. Make sure any unwanted areas are transparent.

Or you can send it to me and I'll get it done over the weekend, if the original artist lets me.

I hope that helps some.

The Prince of Cats
2006-10-31, 06:40 PM
Well, JPG doesn't support transparency. If you save as GIF (in 256 colour, so you lose a lot) then PSP makes you select a colour from the palette which you consider to be transparent. I use a really lurid pink, make that color the background colour from the colour selector, then go to 'select transparency' and choose 'current background colour'. Trick is to make sure the colour is already used for the transparent sections before reducing the colour-depth.

If you want to use PNG, I will warn you not to bother - IE does not support PNG format except the most recent version (7, I think) and most people don't use that one.

B-Man
2006-10-31, 06:59 PM
If you want to use PNG, I will warn you not to bother - IE does not support PNG format except the most recent version (7, I think) and most people don't use that one.

IE does support PNG though. I'm running 6.0, but I remember that 5.5 was able to support it too.

TinSoldier
2006-10-31, 08:31 PM
Yes, but IE < 7 does not properly support PNG transparency.

Timberwolf
2006-11-01, 10:55 AM
Cheers guys, I'll have a shot at this later, I've been running around saving things as JPEGs so that looks like where I'm going wrong, thank's a lot !