PDA

View Full Version : Mindblank Reflex Equivalent?

roguemetal
2012-12-07, 06:42 AM
I'm well aware of Mindblank and Undead or Construct immunities as ways of countering many Fort or Will saves, but is there any equivalent for Reflex? Is there a way to get close?

Darth Stabber
2012-12-07, 06:47 AM
I'm well aware of Mindblank and Undead or Construct immunities as ways of countering many Fort or Will saves, but is there any equivalent for Reflex? Is there a way to get close?

Lots of hp counters 95% of reflex save effects. On a more serious note, not really other than contingent teleports, which counter a great many things

Keltaris
2012-12-07, 06:52 AM
Evasion and its Improved version sure help.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-07, 07:29 AM
Evasion + withstand + a monster concentration check modifier.

Withstand subs concentration check for reflex save. You don't auto-fail skill-checks on a 1 so you now cannot fail the save if your check modifier is greater than, or equal to, the save DC minus 1. Evasion makes it so that, if you make the save, you ignore the effect completely and explicitly functions when you make the save via concentration from withstand.

I'm pretty sure this is as close as you can get, and at a guaranteed negation against any effect that isn't seriously DC stacking, that's pretty close.

The withstand class feature is on kensai (CW) for sure, and I think I remember seeing it on one or two other PrC's as well.

Talderas
2012-12-07, 08:11 AM
Evasion + withstand + a monster concentration check modifier.

Withstand subs concentration check for reflex save. You don't auto-fail skill-checks on a 1 so you now cannot fail the save if your check modifier is greater than, or equal to, the save DC minus 1. Evasion makes it so that, if you make the save, you ignore the effect completely and explicitly functions when you make the save via concentration from withstand.

I'm pretty sure this is as close as you can get, and at a guaranteed negation against any effect that isn't seriously DC stacking, that's pretty close.

The withstand class feature is on kensai (CW) for sure, and I think I remember seeing it on one or two other PrC's as well.

Withstand is the first thing that came to mind but it's important to note that Withstand and Evasion only functions against damage based Reflex saves. They provide no benefit against spells or effects like Grease or Entangle. I'm not sure what grants immunity to non-damaging reflex saves.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-12-07, 09:46 AM
Withstand is the first thing that came to mind but it's important to note that Withstand and Evasion only functions against damage based Reflex saves. They provide no benefit against spells or effects like Grease or Entangle. I'm not sure what grants immunity to non-damaging reflex saves.

Freedom of Movement.

Talderas
2012-12-07, 11:47 AM
Freedom of Movement.

Semi. It allows you to move and attack normally and win grapple checks. So if the spell in question is a reflex save or have you movement impeded or it's a reflex save to avoid being grappled then it works.

Grease has two separate effects. The first effect (which is the reflex save) is reflex save or fall down. That save only applies if you're in the area of grease when it's cast or if you stop on grease. The second effect impedes movement (can't move through it) and requires a balance check DC10 to move at half speed.

The second effect is most certainly negated by FoM since it impeded your movement (you're moving at half speed). The first effect is more questionable since falling down isn't directly impeding movement and being prone doesn't affect your ability to attack or move normally. Being prone is being prone and it has its own rules for what is normal. It's kind of like FoM not allowing a human in full plate to move 30ft instead of 20ft. The 20ft is the normal movement in full plate, not 30ft, but it is certainly open for interpretation.

Earthquake is another Reflex save spell that FoM will not protect you from. Fail the DC20 save and you fall into a fissure which crushes you to death after the spell ends. With a river it's a DC15 reflex save or you risk drowning.

FoM is a good spell and it does cover a wide arrange of Reflex saves, unfortunately unlike Fortitude saves, which can be mostly avoided by becoming undead, or Will saves, which can be mostly avoided by becoming immune to mind-affecting effects, Reflex saves have two major categories of damage and other and I don't think there's a cureall for both.

Grelna the Blue
2012-12-07, 12:28 PM
Well, in 3.5 you could use the feat Martial Study (http://dndtools.eu/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/martial-study--1879/) from Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, used to pick up the Action Before Thought (http://dndtools.eu/spells/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/action-thought--3619/) maneuver, allowing a Concentration check in place of a Reflex saving throw. It specifically states that a roll of a 1 is not an automatic failure. However, I believe for non-ToB classes any maneuver is useable only once per encounter. Of course, you'd have to have Concentration maxed beyond whatever save DC you ever expect to encounter for it to be an autosuccess.

TopCheese
2012-12-07, 12:28 PM
Reflex Manuever from ToB + Evasion + Concentration Max + (+20) Concentration Item + Whatever else you want to stack on...

You also could Iron Heart Surge + FoM anything else.

So essentially...

DMM Persist the FoM and Fly (should be easy to gain)
Item: Necklace that gives you a globe of air around your head.
Have a warblade or warblade/crusader build
Reflex = con check manuever
Iron heart surge
Evasion/Imp Evasion

That should cover your reflex saves.. Though Ref save isn't as scary as Fort and nowhere as scary as Will saves...

Rubik
2012-12-07, 01:20 PM
Nearly anything Reflex save-based is negated by a tinfoil hat or Contingencied Synchronicity/Celerity. Interrupt line of effect or just move/Teleport/Dimension Door and get the Abyss out of Dodge.

Urpriest
2012-12-07, 03:15 PM
Mindblank doesn't block all Will saves and Undead/Construct immunities don't block all Fort saves. Both just block keywords (well ok, Undead/Construct block things that lack keywords). So all you really need is to cover keywords for Ref saves, which Freedom of Movement and Energy Immunity do fairly thoroughly.