PDA

View Full Version : Tripper swordsage for maximum (con)trolling

tilde
2012-12-07, 12:49 PM
I'm creating a new character to complement an existing party of 3 melee brutes in a quite brutal old-school "f-u players" campaign. Thus, the character needs to be able to cause headache to the things that could cause headache to the other players, pure hp damage power is a secondary if not tertiary priority.

Thus a tripping/throwing swordsage with crowd control and utility abilities seems like a good choice. Setting sun throws, shadow hand teleports etc.

However, I'm having some trouble choosing precisely how to do this.

Combat Expertise and Improved Trip are appealing, so are Falling Sun/Distant Horizon and Unnerving Calm/Perfect Clarity... combos. Spiked chain is obviously so. Unfortunately, I just can't afford all of these even though I can skip the usual DPS feats.

Depending on how much the DM allows monk and (if necessary, unarmed variant) swordsage abilities to stack dipping 2 levels of monk could be useful as well.

RAW multiclassing, available races are human, wood, wild or high elf, desert, jungle or normal dwarf, orc. In addition to core and ToB, CAdv, CDiv, CArc and CWar are allowed. 25 point buy.

Oh, and I'll be joining a level 4 party with a level 1 character.

So far I've been thinking human, 10/14/14/13/14/8, feats CE and Imp.Trip, EWP at level 3, Adaptive style at 6. Alternatively swapping CE/IT for FS/DH taken at 3 and 6 with 2 levels of monk at 2-3 or 3-4. If CE and IT are dropped altogether I'd have 4 more stat points to play with. After that collecting the rest of the trip boosters (or something else, possibly Weapon Finesse when str/dex disparity grows too large although with touch attack tripping it doesn't seem so critical at lower levels) with the remaining feats if the character survives.

What does the Playground think?