PDA

View Full Version : Magic Systems

prufock
2012-12-07, 12:56 PM
I'm compiling a list of magic and magic-like systems in D&D 3.5/pathfinder and I want to make sure I haven't forgotten any. These can be mechanical OR fluff differences, and I'm only looking for WotC published material, including setting sources.

Arcane Magic (Prepared)
Arcane Magic (Spontaneous)
Divine Magic (Prepared)
Divine Magic (Spontaneous)
Psionics
Soul Binding
Incarnum
Truenaming
Shadowcasting
Blade "magic"
Alchemy
Supernatural abilities
Spell-like abilities
Artifice (Infusions, "magitech")
Invocations
Incantations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm) (variant rule)
Ki (Monk, Ninja)
Spell Retrieval (Spirit Shaman, Shair; spontaneous casting from a list that can be changed each day)
Weave/Shadow Weave (not a different system as such, more a fluff distinction)
Inspiration (Factotum, not really magic, but can use it to DO magic)
Spell points (Variant rule)
Recharge Magic (Variant rule)
Psionic spells (Erudite ACF)
Psi-like abilities
Spell-Stalks (Beholder Mage)

Am I missing anything significant?

AmberVael
2012-12-07, 01:00 PM
I would think Invoking is definitely distinct enough to count as its own thing. It has two classes and some unique mechanics, after all.

You may also want to list Incantations. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm)

Also, what about artificers? They probably count.

Feralventas
2012-12-07, 01:03 PM
A Monk's Ki pool functions as a measure of supernatural resources, particularly with the Hungery Ghost and Quingong archetypes.

Ghost abilities from Ghostwalk campaign setting might count. Spellfire likewise if those count (another feat that grants magical abilities).

If you're counting Arcane (spontaneous) and Arcane (prepared), then you might also consider Arcane (invocation) for Warlocks and Dragonfire Adept.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-07, 01:04 PM
Unearthed Arcana has Incantations.

I know you have Spell-Like Abilities listed, but I think you may want to treat Invocations (from Warlocks and Dragonfire Adepts) as distinct.

[Edit: Swordsaged!]

prufock
2012-12-07, 01:08 PM
I've added Infusions, Invocations, and Incantations. I missed all the "I" words! Also added Ki pool.

Ghost abilities from Ghostwalk campaign setting might count. Spellfire likewise if those count (another feat that grants magical abilities).

I'm not real familiar with Ghostwalk, so I'm not sure of the ghost abilities you're referencing. I've also never heard of Spellfire. Do you have a link to a guide or something that explains what these are?

darkbuu_1
2012-12-07, 01:09 PM
The Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine is a kind of prepared spontaneous caster. Imaging a sorcerer that can repick his known spells every morning, except it's a druid.

prufock
2012-12-07, 01:11 PM
The Spirit Shaman from Complete Divine is a kind of prepared spontaneous caster. Imaging a sorcerer that can repick his known spells every morning, except it's a druid.

This description actually made me chuckle. I like it! I also think it's distinct enough to merit its own entry.

PlusSixPelican
2012-12-07, 01:24 PM
What's Incarnum from? I saw it mentioned in the MiC and am curious.

AmberVael
2012-12-07, 01:31 PM

It has its own book, called Magic of Incarnum.

prufock
2012-12-07, 01:33 PM

Magic of Incarnum. It's a somewhat complex, but also somewhat awesome system. The fluff is that you act as a sort of vessel for energy siphoned from souls, which you can use for various effects. The effects sort of mimic magic items, in the sense that they occupy a slot on your body. There are a couple good (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19862398/The_Incarnum_Handbook) guides (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215723) that can relate the basics.

docnessuno
2012-12-07, 01:44 PM
Inspiration (Factotum)
Spell points (Variant rule)
Recharge Magic (Variant rule)
Psionic spells (Erudite ACF)
Psi-like abilities

prufock
2012-12-07, 01:46 PM
Added. Thanks for all the input so far, everyone!

Lapak
2012-12-07, 01:46 PM
Does Sha'ir casting count as separate from your current lists? It's the same spells as Arcane (and/or Divine) magic, but neither Prepared nor Spontaneous in the usual sense.

EDIT: To clarify, they can potentially cast from the entire Sorc/Wiz list. When they want a given spell, their genie familiar/partner/whatever goes and collects it for them, which takes time and (if I recall the 3.x version correctly) a Diplomacy check. So they can walk around with filled-up slots, locking down what they can cast but having it ready to go, or they can leave some slots empty, which gives them flexibility as long as they have some time to prepare.

docnessuno
2012-12-07, 01:49 PM
Also, Beholder-mage spellcasting might be "different" enough to warrant his own entry.

prufock
2012-12-07, 01:53 PM
Does Sha'ir casting count as separate from your current lists? It's the same spells as Arcane (and/or Divine) magic, but neither Prepared nor Spontaneous in the usual sense.

I think I would consider this similar to Spell Retrieval by the Spirit Shaman. It's the same basic system, with 2 distinctions: 1) the familiar retrieves the spells for him and 2) he can cast a limited list of divine spells as well. I'll note it under Spell Retrieval, unless someone can provide a good argument against that.

Also, Beholder-mage spellcasting might be "different" enough to warrant his own entry.

I would almost consider this just spontaneous casting from a very large list, but then again it does use its own rules for casting time and stuff. What the hey, I'll add it.

Feralventas
2012-12-07, 02:09 PM
I'm not real familiar with Ghostwalk, so I'm not sure of the ghost abilities you're referencing. I've also never heard of Spellfire. Do you have a link to a guide or something that explains what these are?

I got in trouble for linking things a little while ago, so I'm going to avoid doing so for the time being.

The Ghostwalk campaign setting is one in which the Land of the Dead has a physical portal on the material plane, and a city has sprung up around it where the ghosts of the dead can still interact with the living; Manifest. Ghosts are represented by a non-undead Ghost template, or by the Eidalon or Eidoloncer classes; one is a full BAB class that grants Ghost feats like a Fighter gets Combat feats. Eidaloncer progresses spellcasting, and grants ghost feats like a wizard gets bonus metamagic or crafting feats.

The ghost feats are technically spell-like or supernatural abilities, but due to the fact that they have their own feat title, I felt they were worth mention, especially as most of them require that you are a ghost in some form or another. They fall into 6 categories.
Poltergeist. (moving objects and materials, mage-hand and telekinesis effects
Corruptor. (Destroying or warping matter)
Dominator (Posession)
Shaper (Crafting material from ectoplasm.)
Traveler. (Movement, flight, teleporting.)
Haunt. (appearances, sounds, illusions).

Spellfire is a feat from Magic of Faerun that allows you to function as a Rod of Absorption with a readied action. It lets you absorb spell levels and deconstruct the magic to its rawest form, then re-purpose it for a number of effects, mainly either damage or healing. There is a prestige class dedicated to it in the same book.

Lapak
2012-12-07, 02:15 PM
I think I would consider this similar to Spell Retrieval by the Spirit Shaman. It's the same basic system, with 2 distinctions: 1) the familiar retrieves the spells for him and 2) he can cast a limited list of divine spells as well. I'll note it under Spell Retrieval, unless someone can provide a good argument against that.I'm not as familiar with the Spirit Shaman, but as I understand it you pick your spell list at the beginning of the day and then it's locked. One of the more significant benefits of the Sha'ir is that you can leave a slot empty and then fill it with whatever you need in the middle of the day as long as you have the time to do so.

Gigas Breaker
2012-12-07, 02:23 PM
Does Arcane Swordsage count?

nedz
2012-12-07, 02:23 PM
We had a thread which did this some months ago — I will try to dig it out.

You're missing Epic magic incidental, also Divine Powers and Xorvintal powers.

docnessuno
2012-12-07, 02:29 PM
I'm not as familiar with the Spirit Shaman, but as I understand it you pick your spell list at the beginning of the day and then it's locked. One of the more significant benefits of the Sha'ir is that you can leave a slot empty and then fill it with whatever you need in the middle of the day as long as you have the time to do so.

Also retrieving the spell takes a random amount of time, depending on the type of spell (arcane / divine) and if it is a known spell or not.

Spell weavers [MM2], Phaerimms [MoF, updated in 3.5] and Sharns [MoF, updated in 3.5] also have weird casting:

Spell weavers has standard sorcerer casting but can cast 6 spell levels / action (so, for example, 1 lvl 6 spell or 3 level 3 or 6 level 1 as a standard action)

Phaerimms also have standard sorcerer casting, but all their spell are cast as SLAs, so no components.

Sharns have both arcane and divine casting, and have two standard action and a move action each round, but if they cast two spells in a round they have to come from the list of different classes.