PDA

View Full Version : 3.5, help me build a powerful cohort

Xcalibur
2012-12-07, 01:35 PM
Hi,

I play a bard, 20 charisma. All in all, that bard is a buffer built to handle some combat. At level 8, i'll drop bard and go paladin. Alignement problem is already taken care of, so no worry about it.

My spells are stats buffing (strength and charisma for me) and I recite while fighting with at +3 right now (song of the heart and that inspirationous boost swift spell). At 8 level, i'll sing +4. With level 8, will get good haste and so on.

Right now, I'm level 6. Just took leadership.
RP wise, bard is a scolar, kinda teacher with knowledge devotion. Already got hands on a elven chainmail.

I want to "complete" myself with a good cohort. I thought about getting a cleric, human, and turning him into a more defensive character to hold the bad guys, summon to help control whatever will be on us.

Any suggestions how to build him? Feat wise? Maybe something else?
All books 3.5 are ok but I'm not a big big expert in building OP pcs.....

:)

Urpriest
2012-12-07, 01:41 PM
Well, you're capable of giving an ally a big accuracy boost with +3/+4 inspire courage, plus the strength boost you can give, and you'll be able to add more attacks with haste. If your cohort has Power Attack with a two-handed weapon they'll be able to make good use of your accuracy boosts to turn them into more damage.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-07, 03:14 PM
I always thought that the relationship between Van Helsing (in the movie by the same name) and Carl was a great example of good synergy between a character and his cohort. Or maybe Buffy the Vampire Slayer (again in the movie by the same name) and her Watcher. To me, you would be best advised to do the same, in reverse. While you supply coaching and guidance, get yourself a strong melee character to go toe-to-toe with your adversaries.

I am a huge proponent of Tome of Battle classes - including prestige classes. But any good melee class would work wonders syncing up with your support. I personally think Two-Weapon Fighting and other multiple attack builds benefit more from Bard support than Two-Handed/Power Attacking builds - due to the simple math of the multiplier effect on your bonuses over many attacks.

gorfnab
2012-12-07, 11:16 PM
For your character:
Bard 8/ Paladin (of Freedom normally) 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 3 - Fairly decent Gish build that gets 9th level spells and BAB 16 at level 20.

For your cohort:
A lockdown based Crusader -
Human Barbarian (Wolf Totem ACF - UA, Spirit Totem: Lion ACF - CC) 2/ Fighter 2/ Crusader 16
1.Combat Reflexes
[1] EWP: Spiked Chain
[2] Improved Trip
3. Stand Still
[3] Power Attack
[4] Mage Slayer
6. Pierce Magical Protection
9. Deft Opportunist
12. Robilar's Gambit
15. Defensive Sweep
18. Overwhelming Assault
The primary stance for this character will be Thicket of Blades.