PDA

View Full Version : Daring Weaponeer [3.5 Base Class][PEACH]

gooddragon1
2012-12-07, 03:11 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Tanuki Tales
2012-12-07, 03:20 PM
So, let me ask a question:

What makes me want to take levels in this class instead of Fighter, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue or a similar non-ToB Melee guy?

gooddragon1
2012-12-07, 03:23 PM
So, let me ask a question:

What makes me want to take levels in this class instead of Fighter, Barbarian, Monk, Rogue or a similar non-ToB Melee guy?

If you want to be a Dex fighter without multiclassing and PrCs, this is the way to do it.

Amechra
2012-12-07, 03:33 PM
This is pretty damn awful.

I can build a better dex based warrior with a Fighter 20, which says something for how weak this is.

At least give them more class features.

Tanuki Tales
2012-12-07, 03:39 PM

I can build a better dex based warrior with a Fighter 20, which says something for how weak this is.

This sums up my opinion and a comment I would have made next, but I'd have been more polite about it.

But Amechra does bring up a good point: If you can make a similar or better build with a single-classed Fighter, then your class hasn't earned it's right to be a class.

gooddragon1
2012-12-07, 03:43 PM

Where are you getting Dex to damage from and how are you planning on overcoming DR?

Tanuki Tales
2012-12-07, 03:52 PM
Where are you getting Dex to damage from and how are you planning on overcoming DR?

A Transmuting, Fey-craft weapon.

No class feature or feat investment required.

Edit: Sorry, that's Dex to Hit.

Three feats can get you it with the Shadow Blade Feat. Three feats is still a better investment than 9 levels.

gooddragon1
2012-12-07, 03:55 PM
A Transmuting, Fey-craft weapon.

No class feature or feat investment required.

Fey craft is to hit, not to damage. Transmuting does not bypass all damage reductions (many, but not all).

4 levels, 9 is for the DR bypass.

Tanuki Tales
2012-12-07, 03:56 PM
Fey craft is to hit, not to damage. Transmuting does not bypass all damage reductions (many, but not all).

Ninja-editted my post ~one minute prior.

Edit: Nine levels is required to mimic what a Fighter with 3 feats and an amount of gold can do.

And Transmuting overcomes all forms of DR.

gooddragon1
2012-12-07, 04:13 PM
Ninja-editted my post ~one minute prior.

Edit: Nine levels is required to mimic what a Fighter with 3 feats and an amount of gold can do.

And Transmuting overcomes all forms of DR.

Hm, I guess it does but meh. I think this class seems good enough. Also fighters do not get extra attacks and putting points towards that enhancement bonus on a weapon precludes other possible enhancement bonuses.

Tanuki Tales
2012-12-07, 04:17 PM
Hm, I guess it does but meh. I think this class seems good enough. Also fighters do not get extra attacks and putting points towards that enhancement bonus on a weapon precludes other possible enhancement bonuses.

It's good as an NPC class, I'll say that.

But there are two issues with your further statement:

The Haste spell or an item that casts it X/day and the TWF lines, among other things, are incredibly cheaper than 10 or 20 levels in a single class.
Gold and Weapons are a far more common and approaching unlimited resource than class levels.

DaTedinator
2012-12-07, 04:21 PM
If you ask me, this seems like a great concept for a 5-level PrC.

Amechra
2012-12-07, 06:18 PM
Hit-and-Run Fighter (everyone calls it Drow Fighter. It does not require you to be a Drow, people; it is an ACF, not a Substitution Level) gives me +2 Initiative,, Dex to damage against flat-footed creatures as a competence bonus (on top of Strength to damage). I get all that at 1st level.

Getting more attacks is kinda trivial.

Piercing DR? Get a nice weapon. Seriously, spend some gold on that sucker.

My apologies for being blunt, but I feel that I have to be as straight as possible when I say the following:

The class is bad; it gets, over it's entire career:

Dexterity to damage (I can get that with a feat/ACF easily)
Weapon Focus, Weapon Finesse, and Fighter level=HD. For one weapon.
Ignore all DR.
Ignore ACP in light armor.
2 extra attacks.
+4 to hit vs. enemies with natural armor or an armor bonus from actual armor.
The ability to deal weapon damage to whatever they damn well feel like.

If you were building a Martial Adept, you could grab stuff that duplicate this guy's entire schtick without much trouble; hell, when magic items can give the entire benefit of your class, you need to rework it.

Also, I'd suggest that you find someone that you can PM about better wordings for class features; it took me two read-throughs to fully parse Adaptive Fighter, and a proofreading bud would help you with that.

Really, I would suggest looking around other homebrew, finding stuff you like, and then figuring out what you like about them. Then, extend that to anything that you make.

Because ask yourself: How many levels would you take in this class?

Because I might take it to level 4, if I really needed another ability to stack Dex onto my attacks.

I mean, the next interesting ability after level 4 is at level 7, meaning that you've pretty much lost out on 4 levels of good stuff to get some really, really mediocre payback.

Zman
2012-12-07, 09:54 PM
This class lacks enough punch it make it Viable.

It has too many dead levels and it's bonuses aren't great for the level investment.

I'd suggest filling in those dead levels, maybe a couple of bonus feats.

How about an ability that improves Crit Range for the choses weapon by one, stackable with Keen or Improved Critical.

How about a few other bonuses, ie no penalties for using a light weapon for maneuvers? Maybe even a free disarm attempt on a hit, our auto disarm on a Natural 20?

These would help give a bit more substance to the class. It probably needs a bit more as well.

Wyntonian
2012-12-07, 11:04 PM
Honestly, I'd take the best five or seven abilities, and make this a five-level PrC. Give it a base reflex save requirement, maybe BAB and Dexterity, and let people spend five levels getting all the goodies, then move on to something else. Bonus points if it advances maneuvers at least 3/5 or so.

Also....there's almost no reason to use a light weapon. They're easier to disarm, worse at tripping/sundering/disarming/etc, and you give up 1.5 str bonuses and 2:1 returns on Power Attack for two-handed weapons. I'd suggest either giving this class some of those goodies, or something else to compensate for that opportunity cost.

Oh, and a fear immunity seems thematically appropriate, if they're so "daring".

gooddragon1
2012-12-08, 10:41 AM
Oh, and a fear immunity seems thematically appropriate, if they're so "daring".

Ok, added fearless. Also added evasion and freedom of movement.

This class is meant to fix the problems a dex fighter has without needing to resort to items, feats, prc, and multiclassing.

Tanuki Tales
2012-12-08, 12:37 PM
This class is meant to fix the problems a dex fighter has without needing to resort to items, feats, prc, and multiclassing.

I just want to make sure that you understand that spending resources on items and feats is incredibly more attractive than class levels. So if you plan for your class to address these things in the Dex Fighter concept, then they need to be significantly better than the feat and item options open to a single classed Fighter.