View Full Version : Blood & Treasure

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-12-07, 05:36 PM
Blood & Treasure (http://www.lulu.com/shop/john-stater/blood-treasure-complete-game-e-book/ebook/product-20349522.html) is a class-and-level d20-based fantasy RPG. It is based D&D 3.5, but is rebuilt to be much simpler and easier to pick up. It also has some stylistic and mechanical elements from AD&D and BECMI.

B&T is currently my go-to fantasy RPG, and will remain so until D&D Fifth Edition is released. It isn't perfect, and I'm not sure I like its handling of higher levels, but it does many things right.

Also worth checking out is Heroes of Lore (http://www.mediafire.com/view/?1eu780db4375e7e), a superb fan-made supplement containing a wealth of alternate class features.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-07, 10:20 PM
So... yet another 3.5 clone.
Why is it better than Pathfinder, Iron Heroes, Legend...?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-12-07, 10:56 PM
So... yet another 3.5 clone.
Why is it better than Pathfinder, Iron Heroes, Legend...?

Its thing is being much simpler and easier to learn.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-07, 11:08 PM
Its thing is being much simpler and easier to learn.
Which is also the thing of about half of 3.5 clones out there, isn't it?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-12-07, 11:11 PM
Which is also the thing of about half of 3.5 clones out there, isn't it?

Not that I know of. Usually, their thing is to be deeper, more balanced, more cinematic, or richer. B&T instead aims mainly to be quick and easy.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-08, 12:00 AM
Not that I know of. Usually, their thing is to be deeper, more balanced, more cinematic, or richer. B&T instead aims mainly to be quick and easy.

Thinking about it, I can only remember Ambition & Avarice and Warriors Against Darkness as being "D&D, only simpler", so you're probably right.

Occasional Sage
2012-12-09, 05:31 PM
*snip*
Ambition & Avarice
*snip*

For a D&D Xerox, that name wins for Most Truth in Advertising.

Chambers
2012-12-12, 06:57 PM
I've downloaded the Blood and Treasure freebies and glanced over them, which are mainly some issues of the Nod magazine. The magazine has a lot of content which would probably be useful to people running OSR games. I haven't been able to see the actual system as I haven't bought the game but I'm imagining a stripped down version of 3.5 with some OD&D type rules.

I'd like to try it but ultimately I don't see the need for another retro-clone.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-12-12, 07:17 PM
I've downloaded the Blood and Treasure freebies and glanced over them, which are mainly some issues of the Nod magazine. The magazine has a lot of content which would probably be useful to people running OSR games. I haven't been able to see the actual system as I haven't bought the game but I'm imagining a stripped down version of 3.5 with some OD&D type rules.

I'd like to try it but ultimately I don't see the need for another retro-clone.

Its not a retro-clone, but I see what you mean. There are a lot of those.

Its basically 3.0, plus retro aspects, minus some complexity, minus some options, minus production value and support, plus quick pliability.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-12, 11:38 PM
Its not a retro-clone, but I see what you mean. There are a lot of those.

Its basically 3.0, plus retro aspects, minus some complexity, minus some options, minus production value and support, plus quick pliability.

Yeah, that's pretty much the definition of a retroclone, right there. :smallbiggrin: