PDA

View Full Version : Cleric domains for Wizards

Story
2012-12-07, 09:31 PM
How can a Wizard get cleric domains without losing levels? So far, the only one I've found is Divine Oracle. Rainbow Servant gives you up to 3 domains, but each one costs you a level.

Hirax
2012-12-07, 09:32 PM
In the same book, check out the arcane disciple feat. In the Planar Handbook, the planar touchstone (catalogs of enlightenment) feat also grants you the domain power of a cleric domain, and a limited ability to cast spells from that domain.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-08, 01:01 AM
Domain powers, spells, or both?

Domain Granted Power ACF in CC gives the power but not spells.

Story
2012-12-08, 01:33 AM
Well I was mostly looking for tricks that could be pulled with Substitute Domain.

Of course, I just noticed that Substitute Domain lets you pick "another that your deity offers" which raises the question of how it works for non clerics.

nedz
2012-12-08, 01:45 AM
Read Rainbow Servant again.
Hint: Text trumps Table.

Story
2012-12-08, 01:56 AM
Oh, that debate again. A) The translations have corrected text, B) it was obviously meant to work the way the table shows. For some reason it got left out of the errata, but I'm assuming that no sane DM would rule that it gives full progession, unless the game was already cheesy enough that it didn't matter (Incantrix, anyone?)

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-08, 02:10 AM
Well I was mostly looking for tricks that could be pulled with Substitute Domain.

Of course, I just noticed that Substitute Domain lets you pick "another that your deity offers" which raises the question of how it works for non clerics.

That's not really a new question though. Clerics don't have to worship a god, and the most optimized clerics generally don't.

The suggested answer in the books is to have the player pick a god whose dogma most closely aligns with his character's world-view and use those domains as the ones offered.

The op-fu answer is; No god, no limit. Pick any domain you like.

I'm sure there're some options in between those extremes as well, such as eberron's worshipping of a pantheon.

Arcanist
2012-12-08, 02:15 AM
*snip*

Kelb, I am going to nit pick you on this and bluntly object to your accusation that "No God" is better then "A God/Demon Lord/Celestial Paragon/Duke of Hell"!

... I choose to Worship Sertrous who offers me to pick my own Domains, grants me 5 Bonus vile feats and allows me call upon the great power of Pazuzu to have up to 3 Wishes granted. I challenge a "Cleric of a Cause" to top this! :smallamused:

Story
2012-12-08, 02:33 AM
Unfortunately, that sounds like it's only an option for evil characters.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-08, 02:37 AM
Kelb, I am going to nit pick you on this and bluntly object to your accusation that "No God" is better then "A God/Demon Lord/Celestial Paragon/Duke of Hell"!

... I choose to Worship Sertrous who offers me to pick my own Domains, grants me 5 Bonus vile feats and allows me call upon the great power of Pazuzu to have up to 3 Wishes granted. I challenge a "Cleric of a Cause" to top this! :smallamused:

A) None of those are gods. Therefore highlighting them doesn't actually contradict my statement of not choosing a god being a good idea, but rather supports it. I didn't actually say that choosing not to worship anything was a necessarily better choice than any of those non-god options.

B) Except for the elder evils, those do, in fact, have domains associated with them. The demon lords, the archdukes of hell, the members of the celestial hebdomad, Talisid and his five companions, and the court of stars all have domains assigned to their individual members.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-08, 02:41 AM
Unfortunately, that sounds like it's only an option for evil characters.

Sertrous would require his clerics be one of CN, CE, or NE. This creates a snag in his claim of getting 3 wishes from pazuzu as well, since each boon pazuzu grants moves you either a step toward chaos or a step toward evil if you're already chaotic.

Being a cleric of sertrous would mean getting 1 wish out of pazuzu at most, and only if he couldn't grant the boon you requested without resorting to his wish spell-like.

Story
2012-12-08, 01:50 PM
I guess the next question is what the best domain power to use with Planar Touchstone is? It sounds like you can't change it, so it needs to be one that's generally useful and you always want active. From what I've seen, Pride looks like the best. Luck and Destiny are limited to 1/day (plus I'll probably be trying to get Luck through Substitute Domain anyway). Inquisition is nice, but dispelling seems like a much more situational advantage, while Pride is extra insurance against rolling badly 24/7.

Hirax
2012-12-08, 01:54 PM
That depends, though. Is your op fu high enough that you'll only be failing saves on a 1? If so, you could also look into the destiny domain's spells, and get a pearl of power so you can keep a copy of warp destiny prepared. It grants you a save reroll and a significant bonus, and you can cast it after you've learned that the result of your first roll would fail.

Story
2012-12-08, 02:02 PM
I don't actually have much experience playing, so my op-fu comes entirely from what I've read on the internet.