PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] the most powerful or impressive or interesting undead monster?

Viscerator
2012-12-07, 11:39 PM
Greeting! I am looking for some undead creature with some powerful or interesting abilities, say Ex, Su and etc. For example as far as I know there was one in Libris Mortis, called tomb mote. It has two standard action per round, the same abilities as choker. Anyone has some other suggestions? Thanks!:smallsmile:

Snowbluff
2012-12-08, 12:03 AM
Atropal.
(http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Atropal)
A fetus terrible (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FetusTerrible), undead, abomination, aborted fetus (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DepartmentOfRedundancyDepartment) of a god.

It's almost too hardcore and awesome. :smallannoyed:

That's my serious face. ^

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-08, 12:56 AM
Ulgurstasta (Fiend Folio), a gargantuan undead with a necromantic acid breath weapon, imp. grab, swallow whole, that can regurgitate its former victims as skeletons.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-08, 12:59 AM
Have someone creating the undead who has the feats Corpsecrafter and Destruction Retribution from Libris Mortis. You can use the Dread Necromancer base class in Heroes of Horror for a huge boost to the number of undead you can control via Animate Dead.

Make Dire Bat Zombies (8 HD) and Bugbear Zombies (6 HD). They should be encountered in a ruin of some sort, in a large courtyard with no roof. The Bugbear Zombies are hiding under leaves/sand/etc., not visible at all. The Dire Bat Zombies are on the rooftops around the courtyard. When the party gets halfway across the courtyard, the Bugbears spring out around them and the Bats swoop in overhead.

Whenever one of that zombies is destroyed it explodes, dealing negative energy damage in a 10-ft. radius that heals other undead. The bats deal 5d6, the bugbears deal 4d6. I'd use 4-8 of each, depending on party level. If the Cleric destroys them all in one turn, the party could collectively take lethal damage from all the explosions.

Telok
2012-12-08, 04:02 AM
Fast zombifiy a 10HD giant octopus?

If you put it somewhere normal (in water) and keep it fresh then they can mistake it for a normal octopus. They will be surprised when it starts crawling out on land after them. For best effect have it stationed in an outer room and ordered to come out and attack anything in the inner rooms when a noisy trap (Glyph of Warding: Sound Burst?) goes off.

Make it a fast zombie half dragon giant octopus and it can fly.

Clovis
2012-12-08, 07:44 AM
Falazure (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5&start=164) as Dicefreaks put it. I especially like the entry about combat:
Combat: Falazure usually begins combat by killing his foes. So far this strategy seems to work for him.

Even stronger Dicefreaks version (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=714). Even gods have difficulties in putting him down or even finding him.

Crinias
2012-12-08, 10:21 AM
Perhaps the Hullathoin from Fiend Folio, p. 96? It's rather impressive in its mook-making abilities. Not to mention it can rebuke undead as well; overall its CR should probably be a bit higher than 15.

Gildedragon
2012-12-08, 03:13 PM
A wizard necropolitan with the right spell loadout is my vote for powerful
For flavor I'd say lacedons, they have their horrifying backstory built right in. A ship forced to cannibalism.
For impressiveness: the nightwalker; sure it isn't HUGE, but it has a good comprehensible yet horrifying proportion.

As a honorable mention, there is that undead moon from the Elder Evils book

nedz
2012-12-08, 09:39 PM
I had hours of fun with a Trap Haunt. It's a template from DR321 p32.
Basically the spirit of a rogue who died here trying to disable the trap.
More lateral problem solving than anything.

Also Kyuss spawn.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-08, 09:50 PM
Dracoliches and vampiric dragons are interesting.

navar100
2012-12-08, 10:07 PM
I was quite disappointed heceuvas never survived passed 2E. I like their story.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-08, 10:17 PM
I was quite disappointed heceuvas never survived passed 2E. I like their story.

They're in Fiend Folio Pg 94.

Also, Fiend Folio has a free 3.5 conversion. It can be googled by searching "fiend folio update 3.5"

navar100
2012-12-09, 12:49 AM
They're in Fiend Folio Pg 94.

Also, Fiend Folio has a free 3.5 conversion. It can be googled by searching "fiend folio update 3.5"

I see. I never got that book. Nice to know.

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-09, 02:09 AM
I will second hullathoin. It's a dragon-like undead thing with pus, vampire spawn, and flesh eating insect swarms. What's not to like?

And angel of decay, Libris Mortis. As a friend of mine once said "So beautiful." Can't say I agree with that particular sentiment, but it can definitely throw its weight around. Especially when they show up en masse, tee hee.

The Viscount
2012-12-09, 02:56 AM
The Atropal Scion from LM is a smaller-sized horror for lower level parties. It's the remaining fragment of an Atropal that somehow reformed. It's still an abnormally large fetus, just Medium, and greatly reduced in power.

The Vitreous Drinker from MM4 has all sorts of odd abilities. It's constantly surrounded by a flock of crows that it spies with and can inflict rather long lasting blindness.

The Slaymate's ability to reduce the cost of metamagic on necromancy spells to 0 is highly situational, but necromancers love it. Easily rebuked and small for the cleric on the go! Also in LM.

Conceptually I always liked the Dessicator, Cinderspawn, and Voidwraith as the undead versions of water, fire, and air elementals, respectively, all from LM. The Voidwraith is surrounded by a constant vacuum, which is highly dangerous because it requires players to look up suffocation rules. Drowned (MM3) have a similar result with their drowning aura, though it's more powerful.

Crimson Death from MM2 has the neat ability to lift you off the ground and drain your blood, all while incorporeal.

The Plague Blight from LM has a nightmarishly strong ability, the only one of its kind I've seen. It has a supernatural disease transmitted by slam. The save is only 15, but you must make it every round or receive 1d4 Con damage until you make 2 successful saves (good luck making it with your reduced Con) or receive remove disease.

The Dust Wight from MM3 has the ability to inflict large damage to stone objects, which you don't care about until he petrifies you with his very presence.

The Vasuthant from MM3 has the ability to make any roll be rerolled 3/day, which makes them a steal at only 2 HD. The bigger badder version can do it once per round at will.

Ephemeral Swarm from MM3 are quite dangerous because as a swarm they automatically hit and their only attack deals 1d6 Str. Like with shadows, if they reduce you to 0 Str you die.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to be thorough.

Venger
2012-12-09, 03:45 AM
The Slaymate's ability to reduce the cost of metamagic on necromancy spells to 0 is highly situational, but necromancers love it. Easily rebuked and small for the cleric on the go! Also in LM.

slaymates autoreduce necro spells' metamagic adjuster by 1. this can be devastating with arcane thesis (enervation) and a slaymate hanging around your tummy in a papoose. LM really says that. it's a weird book

Gildedragon
2012-12-09, 05:48 AM
so we have, in order of increasing power, the Atropal Scion, Atropal, and Aspect of Atropus

The Viscount
2012-12-09, 01:28 PM
Why they decided we needed three different fetal undead escapes me. Then again, these are the same people who gave us three slightly different versions of a person with a scorpion for a lower half (scorpionfolk, stingers, and scorrow, four if you count using the tauric template).

Psyren
2012-12-09, 01:41 PM
Necropolitan {T1 class.}

The Viscount
2012-12-09, 02:41 PM
Dry Lich gained from Walker in the Wastes makes for a fairly potent character as well, though it requires more build specification than Necropolitan. If your DM allows you to be horrible, ask if you can have your rite of crucimigration take place in a desecrated area and administered by a Dread Necromancer of level 8 or higher for +4 Str, Dex, and hp per HD.

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-09, 02:56 PM
Dry Lich gained from Walker in the Wastes makes for a fairly potent character as well, though it requires more build specification than Necropolitan. If your DM allows you to be horrible, ask if you can have your rite of crucimigration take place in a desecrated area and administered by a Dread Necromancer of level 8 or higher for +4 Str, Dex, and hp per HD.

That would be horrible. Plus, if that were allowed, couldn't all of those necromantic and corpsecrafter feats be put on the character? Not that all of them are even useful, but this is starting to smell a little cheesy.

Upon reflection, I guess some of said feats require specific circumstances that wouldn't apply, like using a certain spell to create the undead, whereas this is a uber-gray area ritual-like thing.