PDA

View Full Version : (Su) melee touch attack at range?

Jeriah
2012-12-08, 02:59 AM
As the title suggests, I'm trying to find a way to use a melee touch attack at range, specifically a supernatural ability. Any thoughts?

Chilingsworth
2012-12-08, 03:03 AM
Spectral Hand (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spectralHand.htm) might help, either take enough levels to cast it, or UMD a wand of it. Of course, it normally only works for spells, but it's the best option I can think of atm. What supernatural ability are you thinking of?

Jeriah
2012-12-08, 03:06 AM
Unfortunately, that only works with spells of 4th level or lower. I need something that works with supernatural abilities... :smallfrown:

Chilingsworth
2012-12-08, 03:13 AM
Unfortunately, that only works with spells of 4th level or lower. I need something that works with supernatural abilities... :smallfrown:

Yeah. Umm If the ability is based on a natural attack, maybe Bloodwind out of Spell Compendium?

Snowbluff
2012-12-08, 03:15 AM
Eldritch Theurge eventually gets the ability to attach your melee touch spells to your Eldritch Blast, giving them some range. I don't think it'll work with Su though...

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-08, 03:33 AM
The only thing that comes to mind is a dip in monk then kensai so you can use signature weapon to give your hands the throwing property, followed by a quick dip in warblade and bloodstorm blade to make thrown weapons count as melee attacks. You can now make an unarmed strike as a melee attack at range. If that won't let you deliver your touch attack at range, nothing will.

I'll bet a 4+ level dip-a-thon that requires a lawful alignment is a bit more convoluted than you were hoping for though.

doko239
2012-12-08, 06:09 AM
Aberrant Bloodline Sorcerer (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/sorcerer.html#_sorcerer) from Pathfinder allows you to extend your melee touch range out to 15 feet. That's all I got, though.

The Viscount
2012-12-09, 03:57 AM
Is it a specific supernatural ability you are looking at? Perhaps there is another way to solve this problem. The only thing that springs to mind that hasn't already been mentioned is spider hand, and that spell isn't clear on whether you can use the spider for touch attacks. It would probably require some discussion with a DM.

Rubik
2012-12-09, 04:01 AM
The only thing that comes to mind is a dip in monk then kensai so you can use signature weapon to give your hands the throwing property, followed by a quick dip in warblade and bloodstorm blade to make thrown weapons count as melee attacks. You can now make an unarmed strike as a melee attack at range. If that won't let you deliver your touch attack at range, nothing will.

I'll bet a 4+ level dip-a-thon that requires a lawful alignment is a bit more convoluted than you were hoping for though.You don't need kensai if you either take Ancestral Relic (requires Good alignment) or a necklace of natural weaponry (requires $$$s). And you don't need to be Lawful if you're going chaos monk. You don't even need THAT if you go unarmed swordsage.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-09, 04:08 AM
You don't need kensai if you either take Ancestral Relic (requires Good alignment) or a necklace of natural weaponry (requires $$$s). And you don't need to be Lawful if you're going chaos monk. You don't even need THAT if you go unarmed swordsage.

Ancestral relic doesn't work with unarmed strike but, otherwise, all valid points.

I tend to forget chaos monk exists since it's in an issue of dragon, and I thought Swordsage might be a bit redundant since I was already suggesting a warblade dip. Besides, monk 2 gets you the good unarmed strike, 2 feats, and evasion on a decent HD chassis.

It's still 4+ levels of dipping, but you at least killed the alignment restriction.

Rubik
2012-12-09, 12:58 PM
Ancestral relic doesn't work with unarmed strike but, otherwise, all valid points.

I tend to forget chaos monk exists since it's in an issue of dragon, and I thought Swordsage might be a bit redundant since I was already suggesting a warblade dip. Besides, monk 2 gets you the good unarmed strike, 2 feats, and evasion on a decent HD chassis.

It's still 4+ levels of dipping, but you at least killed the alignment restriction.Well, you DO get your body from your ancestors, and in the case of monks and unarmed swordsages you can count your unarmed strikes as manufactured weapons (which are items), making them count as items for Ancestral Relic.

I do believe it works, though it does require a bit of logic to get there.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-09, 04:23 PM
Well, you DO get your body from your ancestors, and in the case of monks and unarmed swordsages you can count your unarmed strikes as manufactured weapons (which are items), making them count as items for Ancestral Relic.

I do believe it works, though it does require a bit of logic to get there.

Unfortunately, the feat description demands you designate a masterwork item as your ancestral relic. If an unarmed strike could be counted as a masterwork weapon, you could just enhance it directly instead of having to jump through the kind of hoops you have to jump through.

Rubik
2012-12-09, 06:43 PM
Unfortunately, the feat description demands you designate a masterwork item as your ancestral relic. If an unarmed strike could be counted as a masterwork weapon, you could just enhance it directly instead of having to jump through the kind of hoops you have to jump through.I think spending 300 gp on character creation would be a good use of your higher level WBL.

Jeriah
2012-12-19, 07:53 PM
I think the Necklace of Natural Attacks is probably my best option, as I don't have class levels to throw around. Thanks.

The Viscount
2012-12-20, 12:47 AM
Oh, if you have monk levels anyway you can always take Ring the Golden Bell. It's limited use per day, but it's less head-scratchingly odd than throwing fists.