PDA

View Full Version : What was your new years resolution for 2012? What will it be for 2013?

INoKnowNames
2012-12-08, 03:04 AM
With the year almost over, just sorta curious. What did you guys want to get done this year? Did you do it? Are you gonna finish it before the end of the world year? What are you gonna do next year?

I resolved halfway through the year, that I'd start losing weight. My max weight in the year was 271 lbs. I've burned 41 lbs since, along with several inches off of my chest, waist, gut, and neck, and I've gained muscles in several areas. I intend to lose 9 more lbs before the end of the year, reaching my goal of droping 50 lbs.

Next year, I won't be working at McDonalds anymore, even if I submit my 2 weeks notice December 14th, 2013. Tired of getting paid minimum wage to do 3 people's jobs and recieving less respect than the trash cans.

What about you guys?

Bulldog Psion
2012-12-08, 04:09 AM
1. Writing more articles. Trying to branch out into graphic/logo design with PhotoShop CS6.

2. Spending time with my wife, as usual.

3. Growing a larger vegetable garden than last year -- a lot larger.

4. Getting the rest of my army of 15mm fantasy miniatures painted.

5. Taking the whole clan to a Renaissance Fair we've been planning to go to for like 5 years, but haven't.

Pretty tame stuff, but that's all I've got in mind at the moment.

Castaras
2012-12-08, 09:35 AM
Don't normally do new years resolutions, but going to make a couple that aren't official resolutions but things I really need/want to do.

1. Learn Python and Guitar - both these are things I can do over summer when I finish this year of uni
2. Get 2:1 at least for this year of university - I'm redoing first year in a new degree, and last year's degree I was on the edge of failing and switched course due to not enjoying it. I'm working harder this year and enjoying the course more, so aiming to do better than last year. I only need to pass this year to continue doing the course, but I want to do better.
3. Paint my dystopian wars army - Starting this when this term ends, but really want to get round to at least painting my main force that I use for my naval army, and hopefully my land as well.
4. Try not to clutter my boyfriend's room up as much :smalltongue: - Seeing as I stay over his all the time, there's a lot of my stuff cluttering up his floor because I never get round to taking my stuff back. So aiming to make less of a mess. x)
5. Be happy - Most important one.

Drakeburn
2012-12-08, 09:42 AM
- Graduate from High School. Check

- Learn how to draw. In progress

- Write my own fantasy novel. No check........

That is all I can remember so far.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-08, 09:30 PM
For 2012...not really sure.:smallconfused: Did I have a resolution? Maybe it was to get a New Years Resolution.:smallwink:

As for 2013, I've decided I'm going to start a blog, and I'm going to update it everyday. What's the theme? Homebrewed 3.5 D&D content other people can use I what came up with. That sound like it might appeal to people?

JoshL
2012-12-08, 09:44 PM
Excellent work on the weight loss, INoKnowNames. I could stand to do the same myself. That's my plan for next year: exercise on a regular basis. For more than a week straight.

This year my goals were all career goals:
-do two feature film scores, get paid for at least one of them. The second will be done on Tuesday, and I am getting paid for it. So, check.
-release an EP with the band, do some shows. Again, check.

Next year, similar plans:
-two more films, get money for both.
-build some decent promo/demo reels to market myself better for part 1.
-at least an album's worth of songs prepared for shows. Develop them live, record full length early 2014.

pffh
2012-12-08, 09:48 PM
Didn't have any for this year put I'm going to pick up the guitar again starting next weekend (cheating I know but meh I've got time) and try to practice for a minimum of 20 minutes every day. Preferably longer.

arguskos
2012-12-08, 09:50 PM
Taken from the 2010-->2011 resolutions thread, since I failed to make a resolution list for 2011-->2012 (herpderp).

My personal resolutions:
-Cut back on my profanity. I'm basically a sailor without a ship in regards to my swearing sometimes. Gotta cut down on that.
-Focus on positivity more. I've got a bad habit of seeing the negative in things, not the positive.
-Find a relationship. I'm tired of being single, and I think it's time to try my hand at the dating scene again. I'd like to share my time with someone special, that's something I dearly miss.
-Find work. :smallsigh:
-Be less angry. I get too angry sometimes. Need to take a deep breath and walk away from stuff sooner (like poker, and this forum).

In the last two years, I've actually done better on all of these. I swear less (though a lot still). I'm still negative, but working hard on improvement. I'm dating again and very happy with her. I had a job for awhile but had to quit due to stress and moral reasons. I'm better at controlling my temper, though not yet perfect.

Overall, I did alright. Took an extra year, but hey, it got there.

This year? Hmm. I think that for 2013 I'm going to make these resolutions:

Begin work on my seminal text. Forum rules prevent me from giving details here, sorry. It's very important to me though.
Explore my faith further.
Build up my relationship with my girlfriend. We've got some tough times ahead and I want to do everything I can to push through them and get to the good times I know we can reach.
Finish school! This should be my last year as an undergrad! Huzzah!

I think that's enough. For this year, anyways.

noparlpf
2012-12-08, 10:36 PM
With the year almost over, just sorta curious. What did you guys want to get done this year? Did you do it? Are you gonna finish it before the end of the world year? What are you gonna do next year?

Well, I'm Jewish, and our New Year is nowhen near now, but I got forced into making a New Year's Resolution last December.
I think I got out of it by resolving to think of a resolution for this year.
Crap.

(I don't really bother resolving to do things anymore because I know that a resolution won't affect whether or not I actually do something, but it will make me feel a little bad for not doing the thing, which is usually. One might think that that guilt would make me do said things, but I found an easier solution, which is just not caring.)

JoshL
2012-12-09, 11:47 AM
Didn't have any for this year put I'm going to pick up the guitar again starting next weekend (cheating I know but meh I've got time) and try to practice for a minimum of 20 minutes every day. Preferably longer.

Suggestion for you (and any guitar beginner): when you're sitting around watching TV, have your guitar handy. Run scales. Run through chord forms. Don't use this to replace your daily practice session, but to augment it. In fact, those 20 minutes will go a lot better (and better playing leads to wanting to play more) if you've built up a bit more muscle memory and finger strength. Can't begin to describe how much it's helped me over the years!

Morbis Meh
2012-12-10, 01:38 PM
2012: Stop making resolutions.... Check :smallbiggrin: besides don't you all know that the world only has 11 days left before it spontaneously disappears :smallwink:

noparlpf
2012-12-10, 02:44 PM
Does anybody have advice on keeping resolutions? I'm absolutely awful at that and my counselor says I need to work on some crazy idea called "doing things".

Morbis Meh
2012-12-10, 03:00 PM
Does anybody have advice on keeping resolutions? I'm absolutely awful at that and my counselor says I need to work on some crazy idea called "doing things".

Have a bunch of smaller goals that lead to a larger one with certain rewards at each check point. Keeping motivated is the toughest part hence why the little rewards as an incentive. I myself decided to get in shape a lose weight, lost about 100 lbs... then met my fiancee and got lazy damn it lol Oh well trying something a little more realistic than running 3 miles, swimming a mile and weightlifting 2 hours a day.

pffh
2012-12-10, 03:03 PM

Start small, set weekly or monthly goals.

Mordokai
2012-12-10, 03:07 PM
I resolved to eat more fruit this year than I did on previous. I think I managed to achieve that. Yes, it's a small goal, but if life has taught me anything it's not to aim too high.

For 2013... drink less alcohol... maybe. I know it's bad for me, but I love my booze too much to give it away.

noparlpf
2012-12-10, 03:14 PM
Have a bunch of smaller goals that lead to a larger one with certain rewards at each check point. Keeping motivated is the toughest part hence why the little rewards as an incentive. I myself decided to get in shape a lose weight, lost about 100 lbs... then met my fiancee and got lazy damn it lol Oh well trying something a little more realistic than running 3 miles, swimming a mile and weightlifting 2 hours a day.

Start small, set weekly or monthly goals.

How do you meet small goals? I'm serious, I can't try things like rewards because if I say I'll get ice cream after I do my homework, I'll just go have ice cream now and watch Pokémon instead. Even small goals usually get stuck at the "I'll go do that first" stage because then I don't.

pffh
2012-12-10, 03:27 PM
How do you meet small goals? I'm serious, I can't try things like rewards because if I say I'll get ice cream after I do my homework, I'll just go have ice cream now and watch Pokémon instead. Even small goals usually get stuck at the "I'll go do that first" stage because then I don't.

Getting someone to do it with you means it's harder to flake for both of you since the other person keeps you going. It can also spark some healthy competition since you don't want your mate to be better at X then you.

noparlpf
2012-12-10, 03:30 PM
Getting someone to do it with you means it's harder to flake for both of you since the other person keeps you going. It can also spark some healthy competition since you don't want your mate to be better at X then you.

Hmm so I need friends?

pffh
2012-12-10, 03:41 PM
Hmm so I need friends?

Not necessarily. When I lived with my parents I used to take walks with my Dad and not to be outdone by my old man kept me walking further and further each week and not wanting to be out done by his brat son kept him walking further and further each week. :smalltongue:

Giggling Ghast
2012-12-10, 03:45 PM
I resolved to stop being a loser. Should have known better than to make a promise I couldn't keep. :smalltongue:

noparlpf
2012-12-10, 03:49 PM
Not necessarily. When I lived with my parents I used to take walks with my Dad and not to be outdone by my old man kept me walking further and further each week and not wanting to be out done by his brat son kept him walking further and further each week. :smalltongue:

Well, I don't live with either of my parents...and besides if I tried to keep up with my mum on homework I'd crash in a day. She's crazy.

Helanna
2012-12-11, 12:35 AM

I am so, so glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

Hmm so I need friends?

. . . or this one.

I mean, I could resolve to eat right and lose weight . . . for the fourth year in a row. Or to be more organized, for the third. Or to stop spending so much money on random junk (which would also help greatly with the other two) for the second.

I mean, I always really, really want to do really well . . . for like two weeks. Then I lose all interest and willpower. And the 'start small' thing just doesn't seem to work well for me, I just lose interest faster.

noparlpf
2012-12-11, 12:38 AM
I am so, so glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

. . . or this one.

I mean, I could resolve to eat right and lose weight . . . for the fourth year in a row. Or to be more organized, for the third. Or to stop spending so much money on random junk (which would also help greatly with the other two) for the second.

I mean, I always really, really want to do really well . . . for like two weeks. Then I lose all interest and willpower. And the 'start small' thing just doesn't seem to work well for me, I just lose interest faster.

Hey, two weeks isn't bad. I usually last two minutes, tops.

Dumbledore lives
2012-12-11, 12:46 AM
I couldn't say what I wanted to do this last year, be happy I guess. I tried, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but overall I guess I was probably happier than last year, though that may be due to other factors.

Over this next year I don't know, I want to pick up an instrument, probably either the ocarina or the ukelele. I also will try to eat healthier, though given my current budget I don't know how realistic that is. I want to write more I guess, though I finished a novel last month so I'm pretty happy, maybe next year I'll try to do that twice, once in November and once during the summer.

I want to get a job over summer, though that is sort of out of my control, I guess I'll try though. Finally I'd like to get a girlfriend much as I hate to say it. Maybe try to be more social as well, that's always been a problem of mine, and going to college and abandoning the friends I had just started loving hasn't exactly been easy.

Winter_Wolf
2012-12-11, 11:42 AM
I don't make resolutions for the new year. "The New Year's Resolution" might as well be called "The Promise I Don't Intend to Keep" for all the people that make 'em and never follow through. "Be a better parent and spouse" is not new year resolution material in my book; that's a daily goal.

I DO make goals for myself, but why limit it to the start of a new year, even if it's a big, long term project? No time like the present, and given that the next year is still several weeks away, that's way too much time to just sort of forget about my plan.

That said, my goals for the next several months are to write more poetry, finish the copy of the Elder Edda I just got yesterday, pick up that copy of Beowulf that has the Icelandic/Old Norse on one page and the English on the other and read it, draw more, keep practicing gong fu, and take some CEU classes so I don't lose my State license and national certification for my profession.

That last one seems like a given, but my profession isn't generally highly paid, the national board is getting ambitious to screw us all with their attempt to reinvent the profession in the public eye, and continuing education is both expensive and requires travel to get to (also expensive when you look at travel cost and lodging).

If I were to make a New Year's Resolution, it would be to get a job that is at least a comfortably paid salary and deals with my actual area of expertise and interest (foreign language, yay!).

Inglenook
2012-12-12, 09:51 PM
This year was the first time I ever really kept any of my resolutions. The biggest ones, I guess, were:

- Lose weight. So far I've lost 71 lbs., from 260 down to 189.
- Stop being a doormat. I have an almost compulsive aversion to confrontation, but lately I've been a lot better about standing my ground and stating my opinion.
- Get to work on my 10,000 little projects I have. Uh, I guess I've improved, but not as much as I'd like, yet. :smallredface:

Not sure yet what my resolutions for this next year will be.

Drakeburn
2012-12-12, 10:12 PM
For my New Years Resolutions next year, I'll do the following:

- Do well in my first semester of college

- Get a job

- Make at least one new friend

- Learn how to draw

- Play at least one D&D game (real life or online)

- Write at least one fantasy novel

- Write at least 3 gamebooks

SaintRidley
2012-12-12, 10:16 PM
Not really a resolution person. But I did get married and start graduate school this year.

Arutema
2012-12-19, 11:38 PM
2012:
Lose 10 pounds
Find a steady girlfriend

2013:
Lose 15 pounds
Find a steady girlfriend
Change jobs to one that will allow me to have a social life

Sometimes things don't work out.

The Succubus
2012-12-21, 06:43 AM
My resolutions:

1) Be more happy in myself and seek to undertsand who I am

2) Make other people happy ^_^

3) Get my butt down the gym more regularly

4) Continue working on my succubus project

5) Visit more playgrounders =)

Mauve Shirt
2012-12-21, 06:51 AM
Lose the Christmas weight. Learn quickly and be the best I can be at my job.

Not accomplished, pretty dang well accomplished.

New ones: Along with the usual losing weight goal, I need to move out, grow a social life, and start dating again.

Em Blackleaf
2012-12-23, 11:22 PM
Oh god I suck at remembering New Year's resolutions. I must've resolved to get more flexible or to get more toned or something. I didn't do that.

If I resolved to get better at guitar I did that.

In fact, I resolve to get even better at guitar this year. And to write more. And to get straight As!

And to get more flexible and toned (but I'm resolving to do that every five seconds). >.>

Eldariel
2012-12-24, 02:04 AM
I'm just going to stop slacking and get my studies in order:
- I will stick to my main subject instead of a switch (or an intended switch) a year.
- I will stop missing lectures no matter how useless and boring I might find them (the road to deciding which to attend is apparently too slippery for me right now so I'll just attend all of 'em).
- I will sign up for at least five courses each period.
- I will ultimately strive to graduate in a reasonable schedule (at best I'll be done when I'm 30; I'd rather not postpone it much further than that).

Everything else seems to be more or less in order right now. But I need to make myself accountable to someone for my studies and I'm not sure I can trust myself on that note.