PDA

View Full Version : The Truth Will Out! [Template]

Jack Mann
2006-10-29, 01:14 PM
This is my entry for the Indigo template contest. Haven't gotten any feedback in the contest forum, so I figured I'd post it here, see if any of you have any pointers or tips. I'm entering it in the following categories:
Best Overall Template
Best Articulation of the Theme
Best Detrimental Template
Best Caster-oriented Template
Best Skill-oriented Template
Rookie Award

It's my first template, so I'm sure I've screwed up somewhere.

----------------

"A Kenning is, at its simplest, an idea, but it is far more than that. A living idea, blurring the line between thought and disease. No one knows whence these strange entities came from, nor exactly what they are. They have no existence on the material, nor yet on any plane of which Men have knowledge. Neither magic nor any other method at my disposal has allowed me to measure them directly. Their effects, however, are present, and easily measured.

"Kennings are transmitted from host to host through the medium of language. Usually, passing from host to host requires one to listen to a person who carries it, but some of these affected individuals are able to pass on the Kenning through written documents, which are then passed on to others, spreading the Kenning far and wide. To be so affected, one must have a mind suitable to the Kenning. A Kenning may require one to be wise, or yet to be crafty. Some require a strong force of personality. Each has different needs, and changes the mind in different ways.

"The affected being becomes focused on the idea that has taken root in their mind. This can be beneficial, yet is normally a detriment, as the afflicted individual's attention becomes overly focused on the goals of their Kenning.

"Many Kenning hosts have achived Fame. Azarn Trelai, the author of such Romances as The Knight and his Lady, Journey to the Far Moons, and Dead are the Valleys, was the host for a Scarlet Kenning. Of interest, his Kenning was a sport (even as a dog of the kennels might be, or a horse from a noble line), for it lacked a means of transmission. As well, the mad inventor Ludvarian der Transelheim, who destroyed the village of Vermitz, was, in his later years, a host of an Indigo Kenning, that being Paranoid Dementia, a terrible affliction.

"The greatest changes are in the mind, but there are changes in the body. The most obvious of these is the aura. Every host glows faintly even to mundane sight with a specific aura, the color of which shows what general kind of Kenning has taken root in their mind. Many are these auras, but in general can be grouped by color, though whether this is due to similar affects creating similar colors, or yet if Kennings of one color are related, no one knows.

"Indigo is the color of mysteries, and the uncovering thereof. Opposed by those of Saffron, Indigo Kennings provoke their hosts into seeking out mysteries, probing hidden matters, and even into seeing things that are not truly there. The Indigo Aura marks one obsessed with the truth, whatever they may believe the truth to be."

--From "An Arcane Treatise On Language, Vol. III" by Khabian Daenry, Archlibrarian of Zerial

Paranoid dementia is an Indigo Kenning. It affects the highly intelligent, especially those with weak wills. It is crystallized paranoia, the unfailing belief that the world is out to get you. Hosts become obsessed with hidden conspiracies, plots against them. They suspect even their most trusted friends and allies. They retreat from others, holing up in towers, caves, anyplace where they feel secure, leaving only to find more clues to the conspiracy against them. They sell off valuables to purchase books, scrolls, anything that might lead them to the truth.

Because the conspiracies they see usually don't exist, Paranoid Dements are typically irritable and prone to fits of anger. They stop caring for themselves, hygiene becoming an afterthought. They treat anyone attempting to talk to them as an interloper and possible spy. Every few months, they leave their lair to try to convince others about the conspiracy, passing out manifestos and, when meeting a particularly likely convert, using their Rant ability.

From time to time, a Paranoid Dement discovers an actual conspiracy. This makes them valuable to those seeking information on such hidden organizations, but because of their tendency to assume the worst about others, they can be a two-edged sword.

Paranoid Dement
Paranoid Dement is an acquired template that can be added to any creature with an intelligence score of at least 16 that has a language. Do not change size, type, hit dice, or speed.

Size and Type
Size and type remain unchanged.

Hit Dice
Hit dice remain unchanged.

Speed
Speed remains unchanged.

Armor Class
The Paranoid Dement gains a +2 dodge bonus against all attacks. He believes himself to constantly be in danger.

Special Attacks
A Paranoid Dement retains all the special attacks of the base creature and also gains the following special attack.

Rant (Su)
The Dement can pass his Kenning on to others. Once per day, the Paranoid Dement can try to convert another to his way of thinking. Doing so requires three full rounds. The subject must succeed on a will saving throw (DC equal to 10 plus half paranoid dement's hit dice plus Int modifier) or become a Paranoid Dement. This is a mind-affecting ability. Only creatures who share a language with the Paranoid Dement and have an intelligence greater than 16 are susceptible.

Special Qualities
A Paranoid Dement retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following.

Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Spell resistance equal to the creature’s HD + 10
If the base creature already has one or both of these special qualities, use the better value.
Paranoia (Ex)
The Paranoid Dement always suspects those around him are out to get him. He can make sense motive checks as a free action (1/round per target). However, if he fails, he always assumes the worst possible scenario.
Conspiracy Theory (Su)
A Paranoid Dement believes there is a vast group secretly persecuting him. He believes that anyone else is either a fellow victim or a member of this conspiracy. His madness is almost infectious. When using diplomacy, bluff, or intimidate to convince someone else of the truth of a conspiracy, he uses his intelligence bonus instead of charisma. By succeeding on a diplomacy check (DC=Subject's Hit Dice+Wisdom Modifier), the Paranoid Dement can make them more susceptible to his Rant, giving them a -5 penalty to the saving throw.
Manifesto (Su)
A paranoid dement with an intelligence of at least 22 can write a manifesto that can literally change the minds of others. It takes them a week to create it, costing only the materials needed to write it (typically cheap parchment and ink). Those who read it (which takes one hour) are affected as through his Rant special attack. They still must be of at least Int 16. The manifesto has a faint enchantment aura from the dormant essence of the Kenning stored within. The manifesto can transmit the Kenning to any number of people.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
A Paranoid Dement retains his dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If he receives Uncanny Dodge from another source, he has Improved Uncanny Dodge instead.
Indigo Aura (Su)
A Paranoid Dement's Kenning marks him with a faint indigo glow. He can suppress it at will, but while it is active, he is supernaturally aware of his surroundings. He is always entitled to a search check for secret doors or traps, even if he isn't actively searching.

Abilities
Adjust the base creature as follows: Dex +2, Int +4. Wis -2, Charisma -2

Skills
A Paranoid Dement gets a +5 inherant bonus to search, sense motive, spot, and listen.

Challenge Rating
Same as the base creature +1

Level Adjustment
Same as the base creature +2

Removing a Kenning
A kenning can be removed, though the hosts will almost always resist it. There are several ways to do so. Dispel Magic can remove the kenning if cast within three days of the infection. The DC for the caster level check is 25. Remove Curse cast by a cleric of at least level 10 gives the victim a chance to shake off the kenning. If the victim makes a DC 20 Will save, they are no longer affected by the kenning. If the victim fails the save, the process must be repeated, and a week must take place between each attempt.

tgva8889
2006-10-29, 11:51 PM
Nice flavor. Except...doesn't the +4 bonus to Intelligence make sure that all creatures which qualify for this template have 18 or more Intelligence, and are thus automatically able to make the Manifesto? Just wondering if that was your intention.

For all those bonuses, I might up the CR or LA a bit, but none of the bonuses seem too ridiculous...at the ease that this template passes, I'm surprised the whole D&D world isn't infected with Paranoid Dementia.

Jack Mann
2006-10-30, 01:31 AM
Good points. Minimum Int is now up to 16, and necessary intelligence for manifesto is up to 22.

As for why there aren't more of them, they can only rant once a day, and they tend not to go out in public that often (only when they feel compelled to go preach). They can make manifestos, but that doesn't mean anyone reads them. And they have no particular ability to infer who's intelligent enough to be converted, so they're likely to waste their attempts more often than not.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-10-30, 01:53 AM
Still, one of them at a school of wizardry would cause major havoc. How is it cured?

P.S. I commented on other things in your other thread.

Jack Mann
2006-10-30, 03:34 AM
Responded to your commment there, Mike. Sorry for not noticing it sooner. I've adjusted the template accordingly.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-30, 04:00 AM
You did [b] then [/i] on dispel magic, under removing a kenning.

I think templates need to specify weither or not size, type and hd are affected.

Love the flavour, however.

Jack Mann
2006-10-30, 04:14 AM
Fixed. I had size, type, hit dice, and speed, but they were in the paragraph under Paranoid Dement. Sorry, I'd been looking at 3.0 templates when I was writing that section. They were organized funny.