PDA

View Full Version : New Skilltricks! (Post if you have any ideas!) (PEACH)

WaylanderX
2012-12-08, 01:13 PM
Yo peeps of the playground,

After I searched around a bit for homebrew skilltricks for my Improviser class, I came to the conclusion that there are very few or no homebrew skilltricks aviable. When it is such a nice concept! (Imo, mind you)
So, for the sake of expanding my own class and the option of other classes such as the ones in CS, I decided to make some of my own.

If you have any good idea's for other Skilltricks, just post it here and I'll put them in the list.

P.S. It also doesnt help that the search function on this forum is gone, before you all say I didn't search well enough. :smallbiggrin:

Skill tricks (per Skill)

Note: Some of these are not encounter based despite being skilltricks. See the individual description for more information.

Sense motive:

Soul Piercing Stare

Prerequisites: Sense Motive 12 ranks
Benefit: By spending a full round action during a conversation, you can tell if a person is deliberately telling lies. The subject must make a Will save with a DC of your Sense Motive result minus 5 or be affected as through a Discern Lies Spell. Only 1 subject can be subject to this at a time and it only lasts for 1 round. This is an Ex ability. This ability can only be used once in any given conversation.

Use Magic Device:

Residual Consumption

Prerequisites: Use Magic Device 9 ranks
Benefit: When a magic wand or staff is depleted, you can squeeze one last use out of that item. To do so, you must succeed on a Use Magic Device check with a DC of 25. You can only get 1 charge out of a depleted item and it can only be used once per encounter and you can only squize out a magic item once. Only fully depleted, nobody can ever use this skilltrick on that item again and it is completely empty. This skilltrick can not be used on items with daily charges.

Use Psionic Device:

Residual Power

Prerequisites: Use Psionic Device 9 ranks
Benefit: When a psionic wand or staff is depleted, you can squeeze one last use out of that item. To do so, you must succeed on a Use Psionic Device check with a DC of 20+2 per level of the power contained within. You can only get 1 charge out of a depleted item and it can only be used once per encounter and you can only squize out a psionic item once. Only fully depleted, nobody can ever use this skilltrick on that item again and it is completely empty. This skilltrick can not be used on items with daily charges.

Skill Combo's

Survivalist's Medkit

Prerequisites: Survival 9 ranks, Heal 9 ranks
Benefit: As a Full Round action, make two checks, one Survival and one Heal at DC 15. If you succeed, then after one hour, you or someone else you treated, recover 2d6 hitpoints. No person can benefit from this more than once per 2 hours.

Morph Bark
2012-12-08, 01:24 PM
The DC on that second one is way too low. Caster level +5 means the DC for an item made by a level 3 character is 8. To use a wand normally you already need to hit a 20 (see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm)).

Instead, simply increase the DC by 5. Also, making it useable once per encounter per item makes it incredibly powerful. Basically, you'll never have to buy more than one wand of anything and save a lot of money, especially on healing. That's too much for a mere skill trick. Now, if it were only once, ever, then I could see it.

WaylanderX
2012-12-08, 01:28 PM
The DC on that second one is way too low. Caster level +5 means the DC for an item made by a level 3 character is 8. To use a wand normally you already need to hit a 20 (see here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/useMagicDevice.htm)).

Instead, simply increase the DC by 5. Also, making it useable once per encounter per item makes it incredibly powerful. Basically, you'll never have to buy more than one wand of anything and save a lot of money, especially on healing. That's too much for a mere skill trick. Now, if it were only once, ever, then I could see it.

Nope, you can use the trick once per encounter and once per magic item. So you can only use it once on any given magic item and then its totally empty. It is already once ever, at least, that was the intention. As for the DC, your kinda right, I'll make it a static 25.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-12-08, 01:36 PM
Not bad. I agree that the concept of skill tricks is neat, the execution? Not so much.

Onto the PEACH.

Optimal Consumption:

Not sure the name makes sense. If it let you cast without using the charge, maybe. Right now, Risidual Charge seems more fitting. Making one for Psionic Devices wouldn't be out of place.

Now one from me:

Survivalist's Medkit:
Effect: Make two checks, Survival and Heal. Both DC 15. After one hour, you or someone else, recovers 2d6 hitpoints. No person can benefit from this more than once per 2 hours.

WaylanderX
2012-12-08, 01:43 PM
Not bad. I agree that the concept of skill tricks is neat, the execution? Not so much.

Onto the PEACH.

Optimal Consumption:

Not sure the name makes sense. If it let you cast without using the charge, maybe. Right now, Risidual Charge seems more fitting. Making one for Psionic Devices wouldn't be out of place.

Now one from me:

Survivalist's Medkit:
Effect: Make two checks, Survival and Heal. Both DC 15. After one hour, you or someone else, recovers 2d6 hitpoints. No person can benefit from this more than once per 2 hours.

Hhmm, on the name part, you are kind of right, I'll rename it. Thx for the idea. I'll also duplicate it for Use Psionic Device, but I'll put the DC somewhat higher, because Psi-wands (Dorjes) go up to 9th level. And free 9th level powers without much investment is just.....bleh.

That healing skilltrick is also kinda nice. Extra healing is always welcome and it doesn't give that much anyway. Thx for the input ^^.

Way

Pyromancer999
2012-12-08, 03:22 PM
Hmm....seems good, although Complete Scoundrel, from which skill tricks come originate, says that skill tricks are all only good to be used 1/encounter, while not all of these do. So, you should probably either discern these and say that these are not like traditional skill tricks, or change the duration.

Other than that, good work!

WaylanderX
2012-12-08, 03:32 PM
Hmm....seems good, although Complete Scoundrel, from which skill tricks come originate, says that skill tricks are all only good to be used 1/encounter, while not all of these do. So, you should probably either discern these and say that these are not like traditional skill tricks, or change the duration.

Other than that, good work!

Thx for the reply, I've clarified the matter.