PDA

View Full Version : Adventures modules including Simulacrums

Clistenes
2012-12-08, 01:58 PM
Do you know of any adventure that include Simulacrums as a relevant part of the plot/relevant characters?

I already know about "Headless" and "Explore the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk", and while Simulacrums were used as mere weapons in the first adventure, in the second one we learned that, while a Simulacrum can't disobey its master, it can indeed nurture its own ambition and pursue them while fulfilling its duties.

We also learn that a Simulacrum whose master dies becomes a free-willed creature, and may want to "become real", gain a soul and replace the original.

I find all that really interesting...do you know of any other module or adventure that offer similar insights?

Silverbit
2012-12-08, 02:59 PM
One of the sample dungeons in Frostburn has simulacrums involved. AFB right now, but I think it involves a mad wizard and a white dragon. No idea about page number though, sorry.

Clistenes
2012-12-08, 04:25 PM
One of the sample dungeons in Frostburn has simulacrums involved. AFB right now, but I think it involves a mad wizard and a white dragon. No idea about page number though, sorry.

Yes, Delzomen's Iceforge. I have read that, but I forgot it when writing the OP.

By the way, the text in pag 168 explicitly says that the Simulacra don't need to eat or sleep and doesn't age. They probably don't get tired, either, and they maybe don't even need to breathe.

The text also implies that normal Simulacra lack true personalities or knowledge, and the magic powering them just duplicates it (sort of an illusion), which contradicts the Greyhawk adventure I mentioned in the OP.

All of this is interesting because, depending if the normal Simulacra are emotionless robots that can't eat, sleep or need rest like it's implied in the Frostburn adventure, or sentient human-like creatures like it's implied in the Greyhawk adventure, their use could be evil or not.

If a Simulacra is sentient, using them as kamikazes or keeping them locked in a dungeon working or just sitting there while they wait for you to demand their help, would be an evil act akin to slavery.

If they are emotionless robots, you can do with them as you please without alignment troubles.

Clistenes
2012-12-10, 05:24 PM
Paizo's 3.5 adventure Rise of the Runelords - Sins of the Saviours also uses Simulacrums. They are said to be "...Without the capacity to grow more powerful or the drive to improve themselves, these effectively immortal duplicates were used by........ as assistants. Now that ..........is dead, the four simulacra continue to carry out his last orders: to keep anyone from disrupting his studies...".

So those Simulacra seem to be quite robot-like.

I know the adventures "The Asylum Stone" and "The Golemworks Incident" also include Simulacra...does anybody know how those were?