PDA

View Full Version : Watchin' Big Trouble in Little China for the first time

Cikomyr
2012-12-08, 04:19 PM
Yes, I am expanding my cinematographic pool to include cult 80s movie :smalltongue:

As this is Spoony's favourite movie, it was on my list for some time. I am just getting in the White Tiger, and the green explosion just happened. I had to stop the movie and come post something:

Man, this movie is ****ed up.

Awesome, but ****ed up.

Mabn
2012-12-08, 04:37 PM
Yes it is.

Cikomyr
2012-12-08, 04:46 PM
The movie just gets more awesome and cliche as we go. It's great!

Sewer escape! A dozen asian girls in underwear swimming? Man, movie, where were you all my life?!?! :smallbiggrin:

MLai
2012-12-08, 05:21 PM
How come I don't remember a dozen swimming underwear'ed Asian girls?

All I remember are giant buddhas with neon lights mounted on them. When I was a kid watching the movie, I couldn't decide whether it was some sort of intentional Chinatown-deco-chic happening (for some reason) in an underground evil lair, or if the studio was just trying to save money on "evil aura" sfx.

Cikomyr
2012-12-08, 05:28 PM
Oh man, he just caught the knife.

BEST. VILLAIN. DEATH.

EVER

Zen Monkey
2012-12-08, 07:03 PM
You were not put upon this earth to get it!

Forget Dumbledore and Voldemort, I'll take Egg Shen and Lo-Pan as my wizards any day.

JustSomeGuy
2012-12-09, 06:12 AM
It'd be better if Kurt Russell learnt how to act by any means other than doing John Wayne impressions, pilgrim

Cikomyr
2012-12-09, 06:23 AM
It'd be better if Kurt Russell learnt how to act by any means other than doing John Wayne impressions, pilgrim

Hey, the cheesyness of the movie was part of the charn, IHMO.

I mean, I've never seen such an ensemble of bi-dimensional character. The only character who had any sort of depth at all was the protagonist.

But they were still cool! :smallbiggrin:

HandofShadows
2012-12-09, 06:27 AM

Yep, you missed the joke.

Russell's cahracter in this movie is someone who THINKS he is the hero but is not. Even if he killed the main bad guy. The real hero is Wang Chi (his buddy). Burton is just some guy who gets caught up in a huge mess and does not have a clue as to what is going on.

Glad, you learned the GLORY that is this movie Cikomyr. :smallcool:

Cikomyr
2012-12-09, 07:00 AM
Glad, you learned the GLORY that is this movie Cikomyr. :smallcool:

Aye

I shall never doubt Spoony's taste in movies ever again

Traab
2012-12-09, 10:35 AM
That movie was epic in so many ways. And yes, the death scene was freaking hilarious.

Friv
2012-12-09, 11:17 AM
Man, this movie is ****ed up.

Awesome, but ****ed up.

This is the best summary of Big Trouble In Little China ever.

MLai
2012-12-10, 06:15 AM
It's like Asianxploitation done right.

BTW, I think Lightning Man predated Mortal Kombat's Raiden.

HandofShadows
2012-12-10, 07:25 AM
BTW, I think Lightning Man predated Mortal Kombat's Raiden.

Lightning is actually the major inspiration for Raiden.

Morph Bark
2012-12-10, 07:40 AM
It's like Asianxploitation done right.

I always called it Exploitasian.

I think I may have seen this movie. Did it involve something about green dragon eyes? I'm probably thinking of something else. As a kid, I watched many movies, most of which I don't even remember anymore.

SanguisAevum
2012-12-10, 07:41 AM
Lightning is actually the major inspiration for Raiden.

MK's Raiden almost certainly drew art inspiration from "lightning" from BTILT, and "Lightning" himself is almost certainly based on the shinto mythology god of storms & thunder, "Raijin" (Means Thunder-God).

no idea where the spinning cutlery came from though :P

Killer Angel
2012-12-10, 07:46 AM
The movie just gets more awesome and cliche as we go. It's great!

Sewer escape! A dozen asian girls in underwear swimming? Man, movie, where were you all my life?!?! :smallbiggrin:

You have been enlightened. :smallcool:

That movie is so full of quotes and epic scenes it hurts. :smallbiggrin:

Friv
2012-12-10, 07:53 AM
I always called it Exploitasian.

I think I may have seen this movie. Did it involve something about green dragon eyes? I'm probably thinking of something else. As a kid, I watched many movies, most of which I don't even remember anymore.

"Green Dragon Eyes" was a thing, yeah. The villain needed to marry a green-eyed girl, which are rare in China but less so in Europe. ;)

Brother Oni
2012-12-10, 07:55 AM
no idea where the spinning cutlery came from though :P

A fantasy variant of emei piercers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emeici), using Lightning's abilities to spin rather than the more mundane ring mounting.

The villian, Lo Pan, needed to marry then sacrifice a girl with green eyes to free him from has curse, if that's what you mean.

Edit: ninja'ed by Friv!

Dispozition
2012-12-10, 07:56 AM
Now watch Escape from LA, They Live, and The Thing (the original one) and bask in the glory that is Kurt Russel being the best actor of all time.

Cikomyr
2012-12-10, 08:03 AM
Now watch Escape from LA, They Live, and The Thing (the original one) and bask in the glory that is Kurt Russel being the best actor of all time.

Oh, I already went through both Escapes. My sis and I cannot stop cracking up with "I though you were dead, Snake"

I've seen They Live recently. I still think it's an analogy to either Colonialism (from the Alien) or Russel became a drug addict (wearing big sunglasses? Seeing things? Forcing other people to take up the same things that "opened his eyes"?)

Brother Oni
2012-12-10, 08:04 AM

Escape from LA? Escape from New York, surely?

Don't forget Stargate and Soldier! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Was Kurt Russell in They Live?

Morph Bark
2012-12-10, 08:11 AM
"Green Dragon Eyes" was a thing, yeah. The villain needed to marry a green-eyed girl, which are rare in China but less so in Europe. ;)

The villian, Lo Pan, needed to marry then sacrifice a girl with green eyes to free him from has curse, if that's what you mean.

Edit: ninja'ed by Friv!

Then yes, I've seen it. :smalltongue: There were two girls with green eyes, weren't there? One caucasian, one Chinese.

I remember thinking when seeing that "oh cool! I've got dragon eyes!" Thank god though that no old'n'ugly evil wizard ever forced me into marriage.

And Kurt Russell is one of the best 80s movies actors, if not the best. Don't recall seeing any recent things by him. And didn't Disney mention him on his deathbed?

HandofShadows
2012-12-10, 09:16 AM

Not that I remember. :smallconfused:

Brewdude
2012-12-10, 09:23 AM
Roudy Roddy Piper was in "They Live".

SmartAlec
2012-12-10, 09:26 AM
I feel dirty at linking this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFrJ1J3VHA8) already, but so be it.

Brother Oni
2012-12-10, 01:08 PM
Then yes, I've seen it. :smalltongue: There were two girls with green eyes, weren't there? One caucasian, one Chinese.

Kim Cattrall (yes, that Kim Cattrall) and Suzee Pai, although Ms Pai obviously wore contacts.

I think it's time for you to go refresh your memory and re-watch the film. :smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2012-12-10, 02:46 PM
I think it's time for you to go refresh your memory and re-watch the film. :smalltongue:

Tsss, you say that like it only applies to me. :smallwink:

Cikomyr
2012-12-10, 03:29 PM
Kim Cattrall (yes, that Kim Cattrall) and Suzee Pai, although Ms Pai obviously wore contacts.

Oh man. Pai was so beautiful...

Dispozition
2012-12-11, 01:28 AM
Escape from LA? Escape from New York, surely?

Don't forget Stargate and Soldier! :smallbiggrin:

I've only seen LA, and I've heard it touted as the better one. Also They Live because it's John Carpenter just like The Thing, Escape from X and Big Trouble :P

HandofShadows
2012-12-11, 06:43 AM
Always though New York was better than LA. LA seemed to over the top. NY was more subtle and real. Which made it more effective.

MLai
2012-12-11, 07:37 AM
Oh, and ofc Russell's Snake is the inspiration for Solid Snake's English VA. Guy said so himself, IIRC.

Morph Bark: I always called it Exploitasian.
That... is so perfect. I'm stealing that forever.

It can't be true, but now I'm beginning to think this is why Saber was given green eyes.

Brother Oni
2012-12-11, 08:04 AM
Oh man. Pai was so beautiful...

You are aware of her appearance in a certain gentleman's publication?

January 1981 is the issue you're looking for, according to IMDb... not that I've been looking or anything. :smallredface:

Cikomyr
2012-12-11, 08:07 AM
You are aware of her appearance in a certain gentleman's publication?

January 1981 is the issue you're looking for, according to IMDb... not that I've been looking or anything. :smallredface:

I'd rather remember her as a chaste and pure young lady, mmkay? :smallbiggrin: