PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Games in 17 hours: Which psionic class do I take?

AdInfinitum
2012-12-08, 08:19 PM
I'm a Mnk (sensei/Martial Artist) 2 / Inq (heretic) 2 / Sorc (Empyreal) 3 / Force Missile Mage 5, with Int 14, Wis 28, a lot of metamagic at -2 total level, etc.

Last week we all found an artifact that gave us 3.5 psionic powers. Because of the nature of the item, he's letting me go Cerebromancer without taking the required base class. But which type of psionics should I take? Psychic Warrior with my high wis? Psion because it's so much better? Or just say no thanks and early entry my way into Argent Savant (which the DM gave spellcasting to at 1st level, same with FMM)?

He's only allowing 3.5 if it directly helps the missiles...or is psionic, I guess. Oh, and we gained two levels...so there's that. I don't understand anything anymore.

I've looked at this off and on all week...and I'm, still lost.

avr
2012-12-08, 10:45 PM
You're 12th level, you have what, 8th level sorcerer casting and 2nd level inquisitor? If you take a level in cerebremancer you would then have sorcerer 9, inquisitor 2, psychic warrior (or whatever) 1 manifesting at 13th level. I'm not sure what use you'd find for the last.

If you have an effective level in a psionic class from the artifact this may change things, depending on what that level is.

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-08, 10:58 PM
I've read lots of people saying that monks with psychic warrior powers are pretty killer. There is a feat you can take (really two feats) that lets you improve monk abilities while taking a psionic class. I believe it's Tashalatora, from Eberron book Secrets of Sarlona. It requires Monastic Training, I think it's called, from Eberron Campaign Setting, which requires you to pick the class that you want for Tashalatora. I've seen some ridiculous builds with that, but I don't know how well that is going to work with Cerebremancer levels. Might be more useful to just go psywar if you want better monk abilities, but improvement to arcane casting is hard to pass up.

Even without Tashalatora or w/e, the psychic warrior list is very good for monks, since you can add/vary damage types with some powers, while buffing self with others. I would definitely go for Wis-based, since your Wis is high enough to net you some good bonus power points (.5 x manifester level x key modifier = bonus power points, if I recall correctly).

In particular, lots of raving has been done over the expansion power, which seems like it was designed for a greek-themed wrestler monk build.

Practiced Manifester might work here. You seem to be pretty diversified for optimization, frankly, but dual-advancement casting/manifesting classes are all quite strong, albeit usually reserved for 100% casters (except Fochlucan Lyrist).