PDA

View Full Version : Red Hoof of Doom OOC

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Shunka Warakin
2013-08-27, 06:51 AM
Good to hear from you Bones. Hope everything sorts out well for you soon. We'll be waiting!

MandibleBones
2013-09-04, 07:38 PM
An explanation of my computer woes, from which I am now recovered, set to the tune of a popular children's song:

The power surge fries the... battery.
Sudden power loss corrupts the... registry.
Since it's on, that kills the... hard drive,
and precedes the loss of the 'board.

But I am back now, with a working laptop, and though the internet in my new apartment is not yet hooked up, I will update you through the caffeinated magic of Starbucks until then.

Mandibles, you really need to stop making promises you can't keep. :smalltongue:

*Snorts* Story of my life, yes.

Are we allowed to send angry but encouraging letters to Apple yet?

Not sure that helps. On the one hand, my computer broke twice. On the other… repairs were all under warranty. So I guess that's good eventually.

Hi gang!

*snip*

All of which translates to HI I'M BACK SO SORRY!

Holy Celestian monkeys with pointed spoons, welcome back. You were missed in your absence.

Drama can be boiled down to

Moved into new apartment mid-May which was fine and no drama, barely mentioned it. Hadn't been there two months when stupid neighbor's barbecue got out of hand, most of my stuff survived water damage but some didn't, landlord decided to tear down what was left and start over.
Second location was untenable, horrible roach and ant problems. Internet was "when the stars are right."
And now finally in a moderately decent place with acceptable bandwidth.

I am still stirred and shaken and feel 'not at home' and have not in some while but hopefully we will be in this place for a bit.

Hubby has pointed out that my desire not to take my drama online is bad when it means I totally lose contact with people. I'm sorry.

If I'm reading right, the game is still going, but the 'adventurer team' has been silent about a month? And the Bridle crew seems to be about two weeks down?

Am I too late?

You are, as others have said, not too late - your troubles and travails far eclipse mine, but mine also led me to be out of internet contact for some time.

IT LIVES! *gasp*

Good to hear from you, bones. ^^ I'm glad things are finally getting worked out for you! sorry to hear about the computer, though. :smalleek: I can't say I've ever had a new computer fail on me THAT quickly...

Apparently it was all connected; they fixed the broken wi-fi the first time but the real problem was the logic board. And the battery. And a number of other things. And the hard drive -- AGAIN. Which means I'm still re-downloading things from the cloud (this time? This time I backed up. Because I learned from the last time I lost a hard drive).

OKAY SO.

I see five out of six Mane Cast players and three of three Bridle Crowd players are present, with two of the Mane Cast quiet but as around as can be given technical difficulties.

Unless there are strenuous objections, I'm going to merge the games Friday, because I am bad enough about updating two games and because I would like to give you all the attention you deserve. And I will commit to not less than one post every two days (hopefully more, but as someone pointed out, I need to stop promising things I can't deliver).

When we get into combat, this means I expect to turn around a combat round every two days. I don't require people to post in order, but posting contingency plans ("If Meteor charges and drops that dragon before I can do X, I'll do Y instead") in spoilers is both accepted and advised.

I will try try to put the enemy either ahead of you or behind you in the initiative, in a clump, to ease combat.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Random breaks into songs? No, Pinkie. Not today.

Theoboldi
2013-09-04, 08:10 PM
He has returned! HE HAS RETURNED! PRAISE CELESTIA! PRAISE MANDIBLEBONES! CAN I HEAR AN AMEN? LET'S SING A-

Random breaks into songs? No, Pinkie. Not today.

...aww...

Seriously Mandibles, you are showing determination where other DMs long would have given up. (I'm speaking from experience on that one.) That's what's so great about you. Thanks a lot.

Nihilarian
2013-09-04, 09:07 PM
Good to see you again, Mandible

THEChanger
2013-09-04, 09:34 PM
Nice to see you're around, Mandible. And nice to see two games becoming one.

Rendel Nep
2013-09-05, 01:47 AM
Yay! The more ponies about, the more effective, my character becomes! Also glad to see you're back.

Noctemwolf
2013-09-05, 02:28 AM
An explanation of my computer woes, from which I am now recovered, set to the tune of a popular children's song:

The power surge fries the... battery.
Sudden power loss corrupts the... registry.
Since it's on, that kills the... hard drive,
and precedes the loss of the 'board.

But I am back now, with a working laptop, and though the internet in my new apartment is not yet hooked up, I will update you through the caffeinated magic of Starbucks until then.

*Snorts* Story of my life, yes.

Not sure that helps. On the one hand, my computer broke twice. On the other… repairs were all under warranty. So I guess that's good eventually.

Holy Celestian monkeys with pointed spoons, welcome back. You were missed in your absence.

You are, as others have said, not too late - your troubles and travails far eclipse mine, but mine also led me to be out of internet contact for some time.

Apparently it was all connected; they fixed the broken wi-fi the first time but the real problem was the logic board. And the battery. And a number of other things. And the hard drive -- AGAIN. Which means I'm still re-downloading things from the cloud (this time? This time I backed up. Because I learned from the last time I lost a hard drive).

OKAY SO.

I see five out of six Mane Cast players and three of three Bridle Crowd players are present, with two of the Mane Cast quiet but as around as can be given technical difficulties.

Unless there are strenuous objections, I'm going to merge the games Friday, because I am bad enough about updating two games and because I would like to give you all the attention you deserve. And I will commit to not less than one post every two days (hopefully more, but as someone pointed out, I need to stop promising things I can't deliver).

When we get into combat, this means I expect to turn around a combat round every two days. I don't require people to post in order, but posting contingency plans ("If Meteor charges and drops that dragon before I can do X, I'll do Y instead") in spoilers is both accepted and advised.

I will try try to put the enemy either ahead of you or behind you in the initiative, in a clump, to ease combat.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Random breaks into songs? No, Pinkie. Not today.

HAAAAIIIIIIII BONES! :smallbiggrin: happy to see you.

Mial
2013-09-06, 11:54 PM
Welcome back Bones! Brohoof! / ][ \

Theoboldi
2013-09-08, 12:36 PM
Say, Mandibles, have you already sent those PMs you mentioned in the bridle thread? Because I didn't get one, either way.

MandibleBones
2013-09-08, 01:42 PM
I had not, but I have now!

THEChanger
2013-09-08, 02:49 PM
Hey Mandible. I think it got lost in the transition we had there, but what was that Amulet we recovered at the temple? Charcoal would've been able to identify it via Artificer's Monocle/Detect Magic.

MandibleBones
2013-09-08, 03:10 PM
It's the amulet to control a shield guardian, which was nowhere to be found.

MandibleBones
2013-09-08, 08:24 PM
Apropos of nothing...

"And who are you," the Nightmare said, "That I must bow so low?
Only a horse of a different hue; that’s all the truth I know.
In a coat of white or a coat of blue, an alicorn still has powers —
and mine can raise the sun and moon, as well, as well as yours.”

And so she spoke, and so she spoke, that Princess of the Night,
But now she’s lost upon the moon, held by Celestian might.
Yes, now the Nightmare’s on the moon, held by her sister’s might.

But now she’s lost upon the moon, held by her sister’s might.
Yes, now the Nightmare’s on the moon… until the stars are right.

Noctemwolf
2013-09-09, 06:16 PM
Apropos of nothing...

"And who are you," the Nightmare said, "That I must bow so low?
Only a horse of a different hue; that’s all the truth I know.
In a coat of white or a coat of blue, an alicorn still has powers —
and mine can raise the sun and moon, as well, as well as yours.”

But now she’s lost upon the moon, held by Celestian might.
Yes, now the Nightmare’s on the moon, held by her sister’s might.

But now she’s lost upon the moon, held by her sister’s might.
Yes, now the Nightmare’s on the moon… until the stars are right.

Ooooooo..... I like. (3

Will post up IC later.

Shunka Warakin
2013-09-14, 06:32 PM
Oh for pete's sake, I've been refreshing the IC page without noticing the little "9" at the end of the page-thing that indicated it wasn't the LAST page. What happens when one doesn't visit a website for a while. :6

Sorry all, anyway, almost three months later, postage.

MandibleBones
2013-09-16, 09:26 AM
I'll start posting responses for the goblins this evening (after 6 MDT); if people want to get some more questions in, I can try to answer all of them :-)

Doxkid
2013-09-16, 11:31 AM
Oh cool, this is active again. Welcome back everyone.

Rendel Nep
2013-09-23, 05:34 PM
Prod, prod. C'mon, more post.

Doxkid
2013-09-23, 05:49 PM
Which reminds me: am I running anyone atm or has that been resolved?

Noctemwolf
2013-09-23, 05:49 PM
Prod, prod. C'mon, more post.

Ow, OW! hey! Not so hard... *pouts*

I'll be posting up later tonight, I promise! :smalleek:

MandibleBones
2013-09-23, 07:33 PM
Which reminds me: am I running anyone atm or has that been resolved?

That's been resolved. I have absolutely no idea what happened to Gfawkes, but Shining Host has been sent back to Bridle.

Doxkid
2013-09-23, 08:33 PM
Excellent. I'm back to lurking then.

MandibleBones
2013-09-26, 07:49 AM
Just wanted to confirm to everyone that I am here, I am reading the IC with interest, and I am ready to jump in and post whatever needs to be posted, but I'm pretty happy you all are talking with each other at the moment. :smallbiggrin:

Theoboldi
2013-09-26, 12:53 PM
Since I probably should ask now before it is too late, can we assume that the members of the bridle party had time to heal their injuries by now? Or that shining servant at least was nice enough to spring for a restoration spell? Because Charcoal still has that CON damage. And he has little enough HP as is.

MandibleBones
2013-09-26, 05:14 PM
Since I probably should ask now before it is too late, can we assume that the members of the bridle party had time to heal their injuries by now? Or that shining servant at least was nice enough to spring for a restoration spell? Because Charcoal still has that CON damage. And he has little enough HP as is.

Yes, you may absolutely make that assumption.

Noctemwolf
2013-09-28, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3QQHurZrrU

I found my next game...

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-03, 09:13 PM
All these big bonuses to Intimidate (at least given the character levels) and all these low dice rolls.

Man, it's HARD being an intimidating pastel pony!!!

Theoboldi
2013-10-03, 09:20 PM
All these big bonuses to Intimidate (at least given the character levels) and all these low dice rolls.

Man, it's HARD being an intimidating pastel pony!!!

Well, we wouldn't have that problem if warlocks didn't get only 2 skillpoints per level. And why does Hellfire Warlock require me to put points into spellcraft anyway? Sigh.

Noctemwolf
2013-10-03, 09:35 PM
I will post up tomorrow!

Theoboldi
2013-10-03, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure whether I should roll a bluff for that last one. Should I?

MandibleBones
2013-10-03, 11:14 PM
Unless you don't actually want Meteor to cut them free, I don't know why a bluff would be needed.

Theoboldi
2013-10-04, 08:03 AM
Well, Charcoal doesn't really know all that much about this Koth guy, so I thought that a bluff might be needed to make him look as though he knows what he's talking about. And the whole part about it being honorable. That's a complete lie.

radmelon
2013-10-04, 11:15 AM
My posting might be kind of slow for a bit, it's midterm season. Shouldn't last too much longer though.

MandibleBones
2013-10-04, 11:24 AM
Theoboldi: Yeah, roll bluff.

Radmelon: Understandable. Thanks for the warning, and post when you can (we're mostly a little slow now, but as long as we just keep swimming, just keep swimming...)

Theoboldi
2013-10-04, 11:30 AM
Well, this is going to suck. [roll0]

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-04, 04:36 PM
Coup de grace is a full-round action, but I remain a bit curious how Charcoal went from 'walking away' to 'attempting to interrupt' via a stunning attack.

In any case, whether that goes off before or after Meteor complete her curbstomp is up to Bones, but it'll have results anyway:

Will Save: 1d20+1

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-04, 04:38 PM
*Sigh* Different forums with their different dice tag thingies...

[roll0]

Theoboldi
2013-10-04, 04:38 PM
He does so after she has killed the first one. I believe that it's fair to say that he has an opening to do so while she's busy screaming at goblin Nr. 2. :smallwink:

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-04, 04:40 PM
I'd like to wait and hear Bones' call on the order-of-events (i.e., whether you successfully interrupted Meteor's CdG) before proceeding, if you don't mind.

If I remember, Charcoal and Meteor met when Meteor was being a (civilian) courier...But right now, she IS wearing full militia armor (i.e., obviously in uniform) including rank fletches. So she shouldn't have to tell him that he just interrupted a member of the military pursuant to their duties during what (Meteor is now convinced) is a war.

And as we've developed them, the Stalliongrad Militsiya do have this teensy little history of pursuing war without waiting for Princess Celestia's official declaration.

P.S. Other ponies will probably need to make Will checks as well, that's a radius effect (30' I think?).

EDIT: Ah, okay, so it's ex post curbstomp...Going to wait for everyone else in any case, as this is definitely going to be a moment I imagine ponies will want to weigh in on (both Meteor's and Charcoal's actions).

Theoboldi
2013-10-04, 04:46 PM
And as we've developed them, the Stalliongrad Militsiya do have this teensy little history of pursuing war without waiting for Princess Celestia's official declaration.

Meanwhile, Charcoal is fiercely loyal to Celestia and would never do something that would go against her wishes (Or at least what he believes her wishes are). Comes with being one of her students. Right now, he doesn't really care who Meteor is, he's just trying to stop her from doing something wrong.

P.S. Other ponies will probably need to make Will checks as well, that's a radius effect (30' I think?).

That's true. But I personally hope, depending on what happens next, that we can just handwave that part.

MandibleBones
2013-10-04, 04:49 PM
So: Order of events.

1. Goblin smirks.
2. Meteor kills him and drops his body on other goblin.
3. Charcoal, horrified, shouts.
4. Goblins wake up. Goblin 2 wails and wails. All three remaining goblins are dazed, having failed will saves.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-04, 04:55 PM
Aw, you woke up ALL the babies at once! (No more single interrogations. XD)

MandibleBones
2013-10-04, 05:01 PM
Aw, you woke up ALL the babies at once! (No more single interrogations. XD)

In fairness, if his shout hadn't, the goblin's screaming would have.

Noctemwolf
2013-10-04, 09:08 PM
I'm sorry I didn't have that long of a post 0-0*

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-05, 02:40 AM
I'm sorry I didn't have that long of a post 0-0*

Last I checked, posts need to be as long as they need to be. If it says what you need said, ta-da! You're good.

I'm sort of waiting on Cordon and Bookend to weigh in as things are probably going to get a little twitchy in a moment.

Theoboldi
2013-10-05, 08:41 AM
Got inspired somehow...And yes she should look both intimidating AND a little spooked.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/428768a16ee5643819cde58504b1534e/tumblr_mu6pmuuxFV1r9tnh2o1_1280.png

Okay, that's just awesome. Wonderfully done.

....You do know that art like this means that we'll be hoping for more illustrations from now on, right? :smalltongue:

It is pretty good, though.

MandibleBones
2013-10-05, 10:44 AM
I saw you drawing that on Tumblr :-) It made me happy.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-05, 01:26 PM
Okay, that's just awesome. Wonderfully done.

....You do know that art like this means that we'll be hoping for more illustrations from now on, right? :smalltongue:

It is pretty good, though.

My problem is having time to do it in. My life gets really stupid busy and many days it is hard for me to even find time to do sketches like, on the back of a napkin or something, much less sit down at my computer and really jam on something. That took roughly seven and a half hours.

I saw you drawing that on Tumblr :-) It made me happy.

Ahhhhh, you should've come by the stream! I was drawing it live last night from 5pm-1230am PST.

Theoboldi
2013-10-05, 01:40 PM
My problem is having time to do it in. My life gets really stupid busy and many days it is hard for me to even find time to do sketches like, on the back of a napkin or something, much less sit down at my computer and really jam on something. That took roughly seven and a half hours.

No worries. It's good enough already that we have anything at all. Most other PbPs I'm in don't get any illustrations. And besides, aren't good things better when they're a Rarity?

...OUCH! Sorry, I didn't mean to make that pun! Stop throwing rocks at me.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-05, 05:02 PM
I was kind of figuring ponies might end up having a talk with Meteor in regards her decisions about the prisoners (she WAS pretty up front about her intentions when laying the ambush though!).

I totally didn't expect to have the additional issue of 'pardon me, did you just use demonic magic on the party' though. It'll add some spice to the conversation. ;)

Noctemwolf
2013-10-05, 05:29 PM
It's all good... I expect Sojourner to actually agree with her decision. At least she won't be alone in the decision making.

Theoboldi
2013-10-05, 05:42 PM
I have a strange feeling that this is going to end with an 'I AM DA LAW' moment for Charcoal.

"I will use whatever magic is necessary to stop you from going against Celestia's will!" or something along those lines. Didn't think I had put him quite that close to the slippery slope, though.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-05, 08:40 PM
I have a strange feeling that this is going to end with an 'I AM DA LAW' moment for Charcoal.

Honestly? I would encourage you to go there. While Hope was with the party there was a certain amount of tiptoeing around the young unicorn because of who and what she was. I think one of the things that draws people into building more elements onto the existing structure of MLP:FiM is they're constantly exploring the elements of real-world life which aren't represented in a children's story. It's often taken to extremes (vide the various incarnations of Pinkie Pie, and of course the r34...About which I'm in no position to make snarky comments, having done my share), but it's what makes things interesting.

Well, that and, someone has a Royal Writ in her saddelbag and this'd kind of be a good time and topic for that to come out...Which is Yet Another reason I'm hoping our dear librarian will post soon.

More than anything, right now Meteor is feeling the strain of having to act with inadequate resources, and rather than simply carrying back the word to her betters, having been put in a position where she has to make field decisions Of Significant Import (perhaps even to the future of Equestria). Even though she has no intention of 'taking command', she really, really wants to be able to feel like the various ponies in the party understand just how grave the situation is, and how drastic measures might be necessary.

As usual, she's meeting her problems head-on and leaving something to be desired in terms of grace.

Theoboldi
2013-10-05, 08:51 PM
Honestly? I would encourage you to go there. While Hope was with the party there was a certain amount of tiptoeing around the young unicorn because of who and what she was. I think one of the things that draws people into building more elements onto the existing structure of MLP:FiM is they're constantly exploring the elements of real-world life which aren't represented in a children's story. It's often taken to extremes (vide the various incarnations of Pinkie Pie, and of course the r34...About which I'm in no position to make snarky comments, having done my share), but it's what makes things interesting.

Well, that and, someone has a Royal Writ in her saddelbag and this'd kind of be a good time and topic for that to come out...Which is Yet Another reason I'm hoping our dear librarian will post soon.

More than anything, right now Meteor is feeling the strain of having to act with inadequate resources, and rather than simply carrying back the word to her betters, having been put in a position where she has to make field decisions Of Significant Import (perhaps even to the future of Equestria). Even though she has no intention of 'taking command', she really, really wants to be able to feel like the various ponies in the party understand just how grave the situation is, and how drastic measures might be necessary.

As usual, she's meeting her problems head-on and leaving something to be desired in terms of grace.

Very well. Charcoal slowly turning into an overly zealous knight templar actually sounds like something that might be a ton of fun to roleplay. He's really being put on the spot here, the basic morals that he has followed as closely as possible for the entirety of his life being challenged in an increasingly desperate situation. I can see him clinging to these things as much as he can.

Noctemwolf
2013-10-05, 08:58 PM
Very well. Charcoal slowly turning into an overly zealous knight templar actually sounds like something that might be a ton of fun to roleplay. He's really being put on the spot here, the basic morals that he has followed as closely as possible for the entirety of his life being challenged in an increasingly desperate situation. I can see him clinging to these things as much as he can.

Glad to see you guys are having fun figuring out the directions for your characters. that, honestly, is the best part of all this. ^^ So crazy this game picked up again so well after the hiatus.

I don't want to feel like I'm intruding, but I guess I am! I'm going to have Sojourner come out after cooling off from seeing Charcoal's *ahem* thing. And, agree with Meteor with what she did. He's very pragmatic, and can tell that letting them go simply isn't an option. And of course, pragmatism (What is useful to you) can lead to many things being useful, even the not so sightly (or good) things....

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-05, 09:07 PM
One of the most unfortunate things about war is that it forces 'pragmatism' that under any other circumstances would be horrible. It's an ancient moral question. Would you kill someone? No, that would be bad. What if killing them provably saved ten people? A hundred? The world? Alright, let's up the ante, would you commit someone innocent to death because they were standing next to someone whose death would save ten people...etc. and there was no way to hit one without hitting the other?

Pity the poor policy makers who do actually give a damn. They've had time to think these matters through and discover that there's no choice that doesn't make one look like a bastard.

Meteor has some IC thoughts on the matter due to her experience with the gryphons, but I think I'd better leave those to come out IC.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-05, 09:08 PM
I don't want to feel like I'm intruding, but I guess I am!

Nope! Not intruding. Last I checked you were part of this game, and if me and Theo wanted to develop this in private messages, we could...Your input (everyone's input!) is totally welcome.

Noctemwolf
2013-10-05, 09:12 PM
Nope! Not intruding. Last I checked you were part of this game, and if me and Theo wanted to develop this in private messages, we could...Your input (everyone's input!) is totally welcome.

XD Gotcha. Gotcha. Totally fine with me.

THEChanger
2013-10-05, 10:10 PM
Will Save v. Maddening Moan-[roll0]

radmelon
2013-10-05, 11:28 PM
So far Dusty Tomes' main issue is that while he has some experience with adventuring (much to his dismay), he has never had to deal with these kinds of cut-throat decisions being made. Meteor at least is in the military, and is more hardened to this kind of thing.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-06, 01:41 AM
So far Dusty Tomes' main issue is that while he has some experience with adventuring (much to his dismay), he has never had to deal with these kinds of cut-throat decisions being made. Meteor at least is in the military, and is more hardened to this kind of thing.

You know she'd be the most bumbling, heavy-hoofed assistant around when it comes to archaeology. :)

MandibleBones
2013-10-06, 11:12 AM
There will definitely be some time for archeology in this adventure, by the way. Even if it wasn't written into the adventure path (which it totally is), I'd put some in.

radmelon
2013-10-06, 11:20 AM
You know she'd be the most bumbling, heavy-hoofed assistant around when it comes to archaeology. :)
It's a deal then. You deal with the screaming bloody killing, I'll deal with the mind-numbing excavation, dusting, and cataloguing.

There will definitely be some time for archeology in this adventure, by the way. Even if it wasn't written into the adventure path (which it totally is), I'd put some in.
You are the best DM ever.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-06, 03:12 PM
Definitely awesome GM.

Have we heard from our Bookend this week?

MandibleBones
2013-10-06, 04:05 PM
We haven't, but Nihilarian has some laptop-troubles-related posting issues I'm prepared to overlook if we need to move on, because I'd be a total hypocrite if I didn't and because I enjoy Bookend's contributions to this story whenever I can get them.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-06, 05:14 PM
We haven't, but Nihilarian has some laptop-troubles-related posting issues I'm prepared to overlook if we need to move on, because I'd be a total hypocrite if I didn't and because I enjoy Bookend's contributions to this story whenever I can get them.

As if >I< was someone with any room to talk about timely posting!

I was just thinking the Bookend/Meteor dynamic might play out interestingly in what comes next, that's all. The two see eye to eye occasionally. And not just due to height. :smallbiggrin:

Nihilarian
2013-10-06, 08:33 PM
Will save: [roll0]

Theoboldi
2013-10-06, 08:51 PM
I'll be laughing for days if this ends with everyone except for Charcoal being either stunned or too scared to do anything.

Rendel Nep
2013-10-07, 12:17 AM
Hmm, odds are it might happen.
[roll0]

Noctemwolf
2013-10-07, 12:42 AM
[roll0] +11 [14]

Probably not for me. :smalltongue:

edit: Right. Of course. OF COURSE. I WOULD FAIL. RIGHT? XD My best possible save too. shows you just how reliable dice are. even virtual ones. The dice Gods never loved me.... *sniff*

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-07, 12:03 PM
I guess that little discussion will have to be put off for a bit.

I have a hunch this is UN-natural, but just in case...

Meteor's Knowledge:Nature [roll0]

MandibleBones
2013-10-07, 12:28 PM
I guess that little discussion will have to be put off for a bit.

I have a hunch this is UN-natural, but just in case...

Meteor's Knowledge:Nature [roll0]

That roar is absolutely a manticore.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-07, 02:50 PM
And does Meteor know anything useful about fighting manticores? [roll0] (Ignore if you're counting the earlier 'identify roar' as her knowledge-check in re: vulnerabilities et al.)

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-07, 02:53 PM
Getting all the mediocre rolls out of the way in preparation for great success or terrible failure!

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-07, 03:14 PM
Actually, I just realized, looking at Meteor's sheet, that she's got 5 ranks in Survival which means all of her Kno:Nature rolls should be +2 to what they were...If that matters in this case.

MandibleBones
2013-10-07, 08:12 PM
Nope. DC was 12; Manticores aren't terribly uncommon in Equestria, and on the frontier like this, even less so. But keep it in mind for the future :-)

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-08, 02:49 AM
Nope. DC was 12; Manticores aren't terribly uncommon in Equestria, and on the frontier like this, even less so. But keep it in mind for the future :-)

Yep, I updated Meteor's character page on Mythweavers to reflect synergy bonuses with a list, and added them to misc. bonuses on those few skills where they apply to any use of the skill.

Man, D&D used to be so simple back in the good old days. >_>

You know, when there were only three classes?

MandibleBones
2013-10-08, 08:58 AM
Fighter, Mage, Elf?

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-08, 10:42 AM
Just for OOC clarity, Charcoal, player to player:

If you check poses, Meteor didn't look 'angry' when she was doing what she was doing. The only indicator I gave was rushed/in a hurry. Now, it looks like Charcoal had his back turned and was walking away when she made the actual kill...But if he hadn't, what she was presenting was being intimidating/ruthlessly willing to kill...not 'enraged'. Which may not make a single iota of difference if Charcoal is working on his own fiction of what's going on...Or may make it worse.

But just verifying what page we're on, player to player. Charcoal wasn't around when Meteor set up the ambush with the rest of the 'adventuring' team, explicitly to capture goblins for information and to reduce the numbers guarding the keep. If Charcoal is being idealistic, that'd most likely just make it worse/pre-meditated, but he's your character. ;)

Oh, and Bones: Fighter, Mage, Cleric. It DID have separate races.

Theoboldi
2013-10-08, 10:54 AM
Just for OOC clarity, Charcoal, player to player:

If you check poses, Meteor didn't look 'angry' when she was doing what she was doing. The only indicator I gave was rushed/in a hurry. Now, it looks like Charcoal had his back turned and was walking away when she made the actual kill...But if he hadn't, what she was presenting was being intimidating/ruthlessly willing to kill...not 'enraged'. Which may not make a single iota of difference if Charcoal is working on his own fiction of what's going on...Or may make it worse.

But just verifying what page we're on, player to player. Charcoal wasn't around when Meteor set up the ambush with the rest of the 'adventuring' team, explicitly to capture goblins for information and to reduce the numbers guarding the keep. If Charcoal is being idealistic, that'd most likely just make it worse/pre-meditated, but he's your character. ;)

Oh, and Bones: Fighter, Mage, Cleric. It DID have separate races.

I see. Indeed, I think I'll go with Charcoal just thinking that she was angry, though he would indeed be even more shocked if he ever learned that these goblins were actually captured in an ambush and that Meteor had this in mind from the very beginning.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-08, 10:58 AM
I see. Indeed, I think I'll go with Charcoal just thinking that she was angry, though he would indeed be even more shocked if he ever learned that these goblins were actually captured in an ambush and that Meteor had this in mind from the very beginning.

The odds of him learning that are pretty high. Meteor didn't hide what she was trying to do from the other ponies around her when she set this up. She didn't ask their help with the interrogation, though. As far as she was concerned, that was her burden. If Hope had still been with the party she'd have had to ask for some help in getting Hope taken off somewhere out of sight/earshot, however. Then again, she might not've tried this gambit quite this way.

I'm not discouraging you from making that post, please feel free to leave it up and we can play the ball where it lies if you like. Meteor and Charcoal are from very different backgrounds and clearly have a very different view of what is going on, and what has to/should be done about it.

Back when this first started up and Hope was in the party that was clearly out in the field encountering a horde of goblinoids, and Meteor was the only 'military' pony present, I had a feeling that sooner or later this IC conflict would occur...Really, it had to! :smallwink:

But as a player I'm amused as heck that the demon-summoner is the one calling for it.

Theoboldi
2013-10-08, 11:01 AM
The odds of him learning that are pretty high. Meteor didn't hide what she was trying to do from the other ponies around her when she set this up. She didn't ask their help with the interrogation, though, as far as she was concerned, that was her burden.

I'm not discouraging you from making that post, please feel free to leave it up and we can play the ball where it lies if you like. Meteor and Charcoal are from very different backgrounds and clearly have a very different view of what is going on, and what has to/should be done about it.

I'd like that very much, actually. I'd really love to see where this will go.

Edit: The chaotic neutral demon summoner, mind you. :smallwink:

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-08, 11:18 AM
I'd like that very much, actually. I'd really love to see where this will go.

Edit: The chaotic neutral demon summoner, mind you. :smallwink:

Meteor's "Detect Alignment" is on the fritz, alas! All she knows is what she's seen you do. However, she's not about to engage you on the demon-related elements of that...You were at Celestia's school, so she trusts that whatever magic you're doing, you know the boundaries of it. No, she's purely bothered by what she sees as you doing things that put the rest of the party at risk.

Such as stunning them all in the middle of enemy territory, alerting enemy monsters to their presence, and freeing prisoners in the middle of what is definitely going to be a battle with their allies. She'd expect you to be bothered by her interrogative methods, even if all she's really doing is bullying/frightening. (The poking/prodding has explicitly been characterized as 'wake up', not 'Meteor is torturing this goblin physically.')

Just checking for roleplay/writing clarity, because I know her 'voice' is a muddled mess at times: was it fairly obvious in Meteor's little monologue (via hesitation before speaking and clearly biting down on her initial reflex) that she didn't say the first thing that came to the tip of her tongue before trying to explain herself to Charcoal?

Theoboldi
2013-10-08, 11:24 AM
Oh, that was clear enough, don't worry. And Charcoal was pretty much joining in on the putting the goblins down, so he didn't have a problem with that. His problem is entirely with the killing of an unarmed prisoner, no matter how pragmatic it may be. As for endangering the entire party, I'd hope she'll call him out on this at some later point. He can be quite reckless and impulsive at times, and it is one of his most prominent flaws.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-08, 02:52 PM
Alrighty Theoboldi, I just always get extra twitchy and careful with inter-character conflicts to be sure nobody sees them as an inter-player conflict. Because those do suck.

Bones, Meteor's final Kno:Nature roll on the Manticore was an 18 after adjustment, so if 12 was needed she's 6 over...

I really haven't used that system much previously (I admit it, most of my D&D experience is 1 and 2.0). So my question then becomes, what DOES Meteor know? I assume the obvious 'It's huge, it can fly, and it's very nasty.' Does she know they're pony-level intelligent (if Equestrian ones are)? And is this a classic D&D "my tail is an iron porcupine" manticore or an Everfree Forest Ep.2 scorpion-stinger tailed manticore? Haven't looked at an MM in a while so I'm mostly going from player memory here.

Also, in re: freeing goblins, Meteor is effectively holding action right now to see what other ponies do. There are about half a dozen other ponies on the ground who might have an opportunity to stop Charcoal, and only one scout up a tree actively looking out for an incoming threat.

MandibleBones
2013-10-08, 03:33 PM
What Meteor knows is that it's huge, flies, looks kind of like a lion if a lion were drawn by H.R. Giger, has pony-level intelligence, and ranges from the single-stinger version all the way up to the iron porcupine version.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-08, 04:36 PM
Good to know that my head canon of Meteor having an appreciation for Giger's aesthetic has an in-game foundation.:smallbiggrin:

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-09, 03:33 AM
Pardon TheChanger, but is Lord Emeraldcoat, long may he reign, doing anything about Charcoal continuing to untie goblins?

Also, bloody hell, what is with the RNG and middling rolls lately?!

MandibleBones
2013-10-09, 10:04 AM
So I will have a description of what is coming your way this afternoon. In the mean time, some discussion as to whether you want to fight here in this clearing, hide amongst the trees, or try to find a better combat place, might be in order. You do have a few minutes before the manticore and whatever else is coming comes.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-09, 12:48 PM
Ah...A mile in light forest doesn't take long at all for a large predator to traverse if it's heading somewhere in a hurry, 2-3 minutes tops for something like a mountain lion, and they don't fly. So I (and Meteor) assumed the attack was imminent.

That rather changes things. Going to null my last post. Keep the 16 on hide and 19 on spot rolls as appropriate, because I think post-editing is going to screw them. Also, how far from the keep are we? In minutes as a-goblin-bearing-warning runs. Bearing in mind that the ambush was placed with the idea that we might have to chase a runner down.

Meteor or any other slow pegasus could cover the mile to roughly where the roar came from in 2 minutes time (twice the move speed of a human and capable of zipping up to treetop level and beelining without regard for terrain), and a really fast pegasus could be there even more rapidly.

I really hate retconning.

Meteor is going to do something she wants to do least of all, because it's arguably going to end up leading to more questioning of her decision than killing bound goblins.

My current Meteor music: Der Feuerkreiner - Soldiers to Arms (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZII-R85hOug) (originally NaprzÓd do Boju ŻoŁnierze (Soldiers to Arms) by Kazimierz Kumaniecki 'Kozakiewicz', October 1942; Translation: Norman Davies in '44...Written in those terrible days of the Uprising when it looked as if Poland might successfully revolt after the revelation of the Warsaw Ghetto.

MandibleBones
2013-10-09, 04:36 PM
The keep is slightly over a mile, and it would take the goblins perhaps ten minutes to run there. They are in perhaps average cardiovascular shape, and as small creatures, have a slower move speed / shorter legs than a human.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-09, 07:22 PM
I'm guessing due to the revised timetable that Meteor has time (2 minutes) to take 20 on her hide?

Nihilarian
2013-10-09, 07:55 PM
I should probably change my speech color, considering the other guy's named Emeraldcoat.

MandibleBones
2013-10-09, 09:21 PM
Yes, you have time to take 20.

Sorry I'm a few hours late; that whole "being sick" thing meant I've been pushing fluids and watching Pacific Rim instead of getting ready for this game.

You still have the equivalent of ten rounds before they get here, but if I could have everypony roll initiative (in this thread is fine), that would be very kind.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-09, 09:35 PM
Yes, you have time to take 20.

Sorry I'm a few hours late; that whole "being sick" thing meant I've been pushing fluids and watching Pacific Rim instead of getting ready for this game.

You still have the equivalent of ten rounds before they get here, but if I could have everypony roll initiative (in this thread is fine), that would be very kind.

Agh, sorry to hear you're sick! Definitely take good care of yourself. Fluids & PR is a good step. ;D

Initiative: [roll0]

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-09, 09:39 PM
I want a new dice roller.

MandibleBones
2013-10-09, 10:48 PM
Practical assessment answer: this is not going to be fun, but you can do this.

There are eight of you to six of them
Those eight are:

Yourself, an officer of the Stalliongrad militia,
A cleric of Luna.
A librarian whom you've seen nearly destroy these goblinoids before.
A surprising-handy-in-a-fight archeologist with some knowledge of arcane lore.
A world traveller with spells rivalling the cleric and a depth of knowledge unmatched by any save perhaps the librarian.
The best cook in Equestria, who seems to possess motivational capacity that would make a militsya sergeant envious.
A demon-augmented unicorn whose voice is apparently capable of flattening the party.
The notorious Lord Emeraldcoat, whose mad mechanical ambition is matched only by his capacity for destruction.

:-) From an OOC standpoint, this is a climactic but level-appropriate encounter, and you're all basically rested.

Rendel Nep
2013-10-09, 11:33 PM
Yeah Let's Do This!!! Leeeeeeeeeeeroooooooy Jeeeeeeeeeenkins!!

THEChanger
2013-10-10, 12:59 AM
Initiative-[roll0]

Hmm. Question. Would a sort of net/fence of branches be considered a complex item for the purposes of Minor Creation? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/minorCreation.htm) Simon would have just enough time to weave it, and it might be useful to hinder the Manticore.

EDIT: Shunka, I'll go in with you on a new dice roller. :smallsigh:

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-10, 01:40 AM
OMG you guys LOOK AT THIS, LOOK AT IT.

http://xenocidaender.deviantart.com/gallery/37824545

*Flailing madly*

http://xenocidaender.deviantart.com/art/Equestria-1404-Standard-bearer-388230005

*Tryingtobreatheohgodthere'ssomuchmore*

http://xenocidaender.deviantart.com/art/The-Alicorn-Scrolls-third-animation-test-353819564

Rendel Nep
2013-10-10, 06:13 AM
I should rolled initiative when I Leroyed [roll0]

Edit:Yes This is going to be a painful fight at this rate...

MandibleBones
2013-10-10, 09:52 AM
Initiative-[roll0]

Hmm. Question. Would a sort of net/fence of branches be considered a complex item for the purposes of Minor Creation? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/minorCreation.htm) Simon would have just enough time to weave it, and it might be useful to hinder the Manticore.

I'll allow a bramble fence barricade without a check; make one at DC20 for an actual net. It may not be useful for the manticore, but it probably will be for the hobgoblins.

Noctemwolf
2013-10-10, 09:54 AM
Will post up later today!

radmelon
2013-10-10, 12:48 PM
Will post up later today!

As shall I.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-10, 01:57 PM
"eh (sic) waits for an okay from the goblins, then begins binding their arms and feet with the little amount of rope he has left."

I swear, we have the most cooperative goblin prisoners! :smallbiggrin: Except when they're being interrogated. :smallmad:

Per Meteor's post, she expressly didn't stick around for any sort of an answer. Charcoal may find he has to repeat himself in the future, dependent upon circumstances.

THEChanger
2013-10-10, 02:09 PM
I'll allow a bramble fence barricade without a check; make one at DC20 for an actual net. It may not be useful for the manticore, but it probably will be for the hobgoblins.

Alas, my skills do not turn themselves to a net, and a natural 20 I dare not rely upon. A barricade I shall raise, against such dastardly creatures.

Noctemwolf
2013-10-11, 01:45 AM
Warning: My post is overloaded with spoiler text! 0-0*

Rendel Nep
2013-10-11, 02:07 AM
Nocternwolf, Magic circle of protection from evil is a 10ft emanation from a designated creature you touch so Sojourner could cast it on himself if he desires

Noctemwolf
2013-10-11, 03:35 AM
Nocternwolf, Magic circle of protection from evil is a 10ft emanation from a designated creature you touch so Sojourner could cast it on himself if he desires

Then yes, he casts it on himself. :smallcool:

MandibleBones
2013-10-11, 09:34 AM
I was going to say, yes, I'll allow it either as an aura-like effect or as a fixed position; pick one at casting time. As for your knowledge roll, I'll have to check Tome of Magic when I get home to see if you get anything.

Noctemwolf
2013-10-11, 03:10 PM
I was going to say, yes, I'll allow it either as an aura-like effect or as a fixed position; pick one at casting time. As for your knowledge roll, I'll have to check Tome of Magic when I get home to see if you get anything.

Fair Enough. ^^

MandibleBones
2013-10-13, 06:15 PM
Knowledge Result
He's a binder. There are Goddesses like the Princesses and Discord, and mortals, like you, and then there's something in between. What happens when a god dies? What happens when the unkillable is killed? Some vestige of the original is left... and the binders feed the memory to draw its power. It influences them, but does not control them.

Nihilarian
2013-10-13, 07:41 PM
Where's the campfire? Bookend will be there.

[roll0]

Hana, oh lovely, I rolled a 1.

Rendel Nep
2013-10-14, 06:12 AM
I apologise for what was done but I believe that it's truly society's fault.

Theoboldi
2013-10-14, 09:21 AM
Say, Rendel. Would Cordon be okay with Charcoal using shield self to transfer half of his taken damage to him? I would try using it on Koth, but I think he'd just make his save.

MandibleBones
2013-10-14, 10:05 AM

[roll0]

Hana, oh lovely, I rolled a 1.

I have no idea; give me a spot and I will put you there and the campfire next to you.

Edit: It may be worth noting, the three goblins on the map are the ones you have tied up, hence why their outlines are black instead of red. They are effectively noncombatants at the moment.

Rendel Nep
2013-10-14, 03:36 PM
Say, Rendel. Would Cordon be okay with Charcoal using shield self to transfer half of his taken damage to him? I would try using it on Koth, but I think he'd just make his save.

Should be Ok, just don't let Charcoal get hurt. I think cordon going to be in the middle of it very quickly.

Nihilarian
2013-10-14, 08:49 PM
Let's go with K12 then

Rendel Nep
2013-10-14, 11:56 PM
Edit: It may be worth noting, the three goblins on the map are the ones you have tied up, hence why their outlines are black instead of red. They are effectively noncombatants at the moment.

Awww... "Look there, threee little goblins" fitted so well.

THEChanger
2013-10-15, 12:37 AM
Initiative-[roll0]

And let us have Simon at G11. Gives him a good line of sight on that lizardy fellow there.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-15, 02:17 AM
I was confused and started noting down where people were, then I decided since I'd wasted time doing that there was no reason Bones should have to repeat the effort.

{table]Pony|Init|X/Y
Bookend|2|K12
Charcoal|13|???
Cordon|3|G16
Lord Emeraldcoat|3/22?|G11
Meteor|9|S12
Sojourner|4|J17[/table]

Bones, I am a little confused by something.

We're in ambush, some of us are visible, some of us aren't. We have the 'surprise round', but how do you handle the hidden ones in ambush waiting for enemies to come closer?

I.E., Meteor's goal is to do a diving charge into the manticore's flank when it comes down to ground level to engage Bookend. Normally if everyone was going the same round she'd just be holding her action until the manticore had moved.

How's that sort of thing handled in a surprise round? Does Meteor just lose her turn, effectively?

I can't think of a situation in D&D where I've had something liek this going on before, sorry!

MandibleBones
2013-10-15, 09:34 AM
Shunka, thank you for recording locations - I'll update the map when I get home tonight. As for actions, you can ready an action in the surprise round. You'll only lose your action if the manticore doesn't act before you go again - given most of your initiatives, I assume that's not an issue.

Still awaiting initiative and location for Sapphire Moonchaser (Mial), initiative from Dusty Tomes (radmelon), and location for Charcoal (theoboldi). Shunka, Dusty is parked across from you (on the ground, of course), also hiding. I'll arbitrarily place him somewhere near you unless radmelon tells me otherwise.

THEChanger, you rolled initiative earlier, so I can't take the 22. However, since natural twenties are far and few between, you can have it for your next die roll of combat, whatever that might be.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-15, 02:32 PM
As for actions, you can ready an action in the surprise round. You'll only lose your action if the manticore doesn't act before you go again - given most of your initiatives, I assume that's not an issue.

So...To be sure I understand: Shunka's initiative is 9. We have a surprise round. But her intention is to HOLD her action until the Manticore moves, because she intends to blindside it (charge it) after it has engaged Bookend (or whoever it chooses to target).

So if she doesn't act in the surprise round, but instead readies/holds her action, and the Manticore goes BEFORE initiative 9 of the first real round, then she gets to use her held action when the Manticore moves...And then she goes again at initiative 9 'for the first real round', thus not losing her action?

I apologize if I am not making sense. Today is apparently migraine day.

MandibleBones
2013-10-15, 03:16 PM
So...To be sure I understand: Shunka's initiative is 9. We have a surprise round. But her intention is to HOLD her action until the Manticore moves, because she intends to blindside it (charge it) after it has engaged Bookend (or whoever it chooses to target).

So if she doesn't act in the surprise round, but instead readies/holds her action, and the Manticore goes BEFORE initiative 9 of the first real round, then she gets to use her held action when the Manticore moves...And then she goes again at initiative 9 'for the first real round', thus not losing her action?

All of that except the last sentence is true. Essentially, if the Manticore does not move before initiative 9 (say it moves on Initiative 20, for example), you take your action, your initiative becomes the same as the Manticore (in this case, 20, going before the Manticore), and that's your turn.

So yes, you'll lose an action - but on the other hand, you won't be at initiative 9 anymore either.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-15, 07:21 PM
Maybe it isn't possible to do what I'm hoping to do. Go after the Manticore has moved into range?

MandibleBones
2013-10-15, 07:31 PM
Oh. Yes, you can do that. You'll delay action; your initiative will reset to immediately after the manticore's, and you'll act then.

MandibleBones
2013-10-15, 07:48 PM
Map with placed ponies is up in the IC. Dusty, if you wanted to be closer in your "hiding in the bushes to provide pincer movement with Meteor" plans, let me know by tomorrow. I'll give Mial until tomorrow to give us Sapphire's actions, then on to round one!

MandibleBones
2013-10-15, 09:24 PM
Incidentally, some of you might be wondering from where my forum name comes. Some of you may not have. But in the interest of sharing our creative things (as we sometimes do in this OOC)...

The Ballad of Mandible Bones (http://mandiblebones.tumblr.com/post/64171765220/theres-a-story-behind-the-name-naturally-with-every)

'Twas many and many a story ago
(and oh, how the cold wind moans)
Off the coast of a nation without any flags
Where the waves crash against the cold stones
Begins the tale of the worst pirate ever
By the name of Mandible Bones.

They say his mother was a kobold lass
From a swamp where the mosquito drones,
And they say that his father was dragon of black
(who left the lass all on her own)
To raise the child up to be like unto a god —
But all they got was young Mandible Bones.

Nine siblings made Io, the dragons’ high god
But two could not leave well ‘nuff alone
"Too many!" spake Bahamut. "Too few," Tiamat said
And seven more voices lost in their groans.
Finally blind Io proposed a solution
One day heard by Mandible Bones.

"If one dragon born of a true dragon rise
And destroy a thousand of his own,
Should he lay claws on the Heart of the Ocean
Then no matter the gnashing and moans
We’ll raise him among us, a god like the rest,
Even if he’s Mandible Bones.”

Back on Creation, the young kobold child
Having cleared out the low-level zones
Laid hands on a ship, he called the Black Dragon
And heeded the wind’s dulcet tones,
Turned pirate - dread pirate - and plied the salt sea:
The pirate called Mandible Bones.

Lost the first Black Dragon in a fight with the navy,
And the second and third to cyclones
The fourth to a kraken, the fifth to a whale
And the next ten to old Davy Jones
Until nine hundred ninety nine Black Dragons were lost
At the hands of young Mandible Bones.

"He’s the worst pirate ever!" sailors all exclaim
And the loansharks won’t give him more loans
But he’s seeking a crew and a ship to go with it
To go explore the world’s great unknowns
For one more Black Dragon and the Heart of the Ocean
Makes a god out of Mandible Bones.

http://media.tumblr.com/c2a71b4e4997eed1e49bd5350c95a3bd/tumblr_inline_muqp68EDex1s0h4ue.png

radmelon
2013-10-15, 10:16 PM
That location looks fine to me.

THEChanger
2013-10-16, 12:55 AM
THEChanger, you rolled initiative earlier, so I can't take the 22. However, since natural twenties are far and few between, you can have it for your next die roll of combat, whatever that might be.

With respect Bonesie, I just forgot I had already rolled initiative. I'll have no bonuses for rolling dice I wasn't supposed to. Thank you for the gesture though. :smallsmile:

On another note, your nom de plume may have just found its way into my next game. The Ballad of Mandible Bones is awesome.

MandibleBones
2013-10-16, 09:40 AM
*shrugs* I figured it was an honest mistake and didn't want to penalize anyone, given how the forum roller's been for the party this week :-)

Here's the original Pirate Contest entry (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9717) for Mandible Bones... it was years ago, of course, so it's... mildly suboptimal. You're welcome to use him in your campaign.

Theoboldi
2013-10-16, 09:40 AM
I do believe I now have something to sing if I ever play a bard in a nautical campaign. 'Tis a thing of beauty.

MandibleBones
2013-10-16, 09:17 PM
So here I was going to update the combat, and it appears that Myth-Weavers' server is too busy. So maybe later.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-16, 09:23 PM
The ballad is hilarious!

I guess we haven't heard from Mial?

MandibleBones
2013-10-17, 11:17 PM
We have not. Anyone else maybe know if zie's okay?

Anyway, I owe you a combat update, and will get one to you Soon.™

MandibleBones
2013-10-20, 12:11 AM
:smalleek: Combat is up. How 'bout a little fire, scarecrow?

Rendel Nep
2013-10-20, 12:41 AM
One reflex save, en flambé; [roll0]

Theoboldi
2013-10-20, 09:28 AM
Fun fact: If Charcoal doesn't make this save, he'll be at exactly 0 hp. That would be worrying. [roll0]

Edit: Thought so.

Rendel Nep
2013-10-20, 09:43 AM
Wait.... Cordon has the most hit points? Wat??

MandibleBones
2013-10-20, 10:31 AM
As a reminder - when I checked your sheets last night, some of you were showing less than max hit points. This is was incorrect. You were at full health before this fight.

THEChanger
2013-10-20, 05:47 PM
Welp. Somehow it didn't register that we were in a surprise round. I'm just not on my game this combat.

Reflex Save-[roll0]

EDIT: So. With the healing Sapphire cast my way...I'm at 15 HP?

MandibleBones
2013-10-20, 06:58 PM
Welp. Somehow it didn't register that we were in a surprise round. I'm just not on my game this combat.

Reflex Save-[roll0]

EDIT: So. With the healing Sapphire cast my way...I'm at 15 HP?

Looks like, yes.

THEChanger
2013-10-21, 02:27 AM
It looks like the RNG agreed with your previous ruling, Bones.

To Confirm-[roll0]
Damage-[roll1]

Rendel Nep
2013-10-21, 07:28 AM
Shunka, For the Rally it's so long as you can hear me and the Aura is 60 ft. Edit :Oh and Motivate Ardor and Over the top won't stack.

MandibleBones
2013-10-21, 08:40 AM
Sadly, Lord Emeraldcoat's crit won't confirm with 13... but 28 should confirm Meteor's, at least.

Nihilarian
2013-10-21, 05:53 PM

[roll0]

Haha, oh lovely, I rolled a 1.This was supposed to be Initiative, but I posted from my tablet and forgot to type in "Initiative"

Unless there was another reason you rerolled for me?

MandibleBones
2013-10-21, 06:55 PM
Actually, I began with your initiative as you rolled it, but I assumed you held action (since I didn't see a surprise round action for you), and made the further assumption you'd want to attack the manticore after it came in range and attacked you, so I reset you to the higher initiative. You are more than welcome to reset anywhere, at this point.

Rendel Nep
2013-10-21, 07:13 PM
Bookend needs to add 1d6 to all of his damage rolls.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-21, 07:30 PM
Nihilarian, it probably won't matter for most of those rolls (what is with the RNG lately?!) but did you remember to add the bonus for your target being flanked by Meteor?

Rendel Nep
2013-10-21, 10:58 PM
Can I ask what the range for Rally is? There doesn't seem to be anything specifically stated.

It's not defined because it's somewhat based off Inspire Courage; just as you need to hear a Bard sing to gain the benefit, you need to hear the Marshal to gain the benefit of Rally.

If you still need a fixed range: always assume that, on typical combat against monsters, the Marshal is heard regardless of the distance (so as long as everyone is nearby; someone within 100 ft. of the Marshal, or Bard in the case of its Bardic Music, would be far away; but could use a Listen check to gain the benefit). On large-scale battles, the range is limited to less than 100 ft.; any larger, and you'll need a spell like Resounding Voice (Heroes of Battle, page 127) to extend the range of your orders.

I'd say that, for the most part, ignore the distance unless common sense says so. It should only matter if you're not in the same room as the Marshal, in the case there's an area of Silence (because then, if you were on that area, you wouldn't hear the Marshal), in a large-scale battle (because it's VERY noisy), or if there's something that would impede you hearing the Marshal (deafness, for example, would be one). In cases of noise, a Listen check could easily solve that, though.
Here's what TG Oskar says about the range for Rally in case anyone is wondering.

Nihilarian
2013-10-23, 08:19 PM
I didn't include the flanking bonus, should I reroll or just add 2? I'm fine with holding my action - couldn't have done much, and now I'll have better init for combat.

Damage rolls

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

MandibleBones
2013-10-23, 09:21 PM
I didn't include the flanking bonus, should I reroll or just add 2? I'm fine with holding my action - couldn't have done much, and now I'll have better init for combat.

Damage rolls

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Just add 2 is fine. And it's not going to matter one way or the other. :smallsmile:

Noctemwolf
2013-10-26, 12:15 AM
I will post up tonight. Sorry about my time taking. :smalleek:

MandibleBones
2013-10-26, 12:36 PM
... I need Bookend and Meteor to act again, please. They go before the worgs and their riders. Ruddy random number generator...

MandibleBones
2013-10-26, 02:32 PM
Shunka, that action for Meteor will do. The worgs are large, so their riders are probably visible over the hedge.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-26, 09:49 PM
Awesome, adjusted for effect...I assumed her attack landed on a 20.

I noticed her sheet wasn't updated to reflect the whole thing with Drellin's Ferry: Had not listed the three CMW potions purchased from Brother Sunny (had marked off the gold, at least) or the 2x CLW potions allocated to Meteor after the first encounter.

I know I'm realizing this in the MIDDLE of an encounter, but Meteor's intent back in town when she bought them had been to hand off one of the CMW potions to Bookend and one of the CLW potions to the casters who were with her at Drellin's Ferry, depending on which seemed they most might need something extra in a hurry (and neither she, nor I really understand all of our current caster classes well enough to know who that might be). Can we have that a 'done deal' prior to the start of this combat?

Additionally, I am not 100% sure of Meteor's current XP mark. I tried looking at the other character sheets of the Adventurer team, but everyone seems to have slightly different numbers. Do you have this all easily noted down somewhere? If not I can track back through the posts to find out how much and where.

Nihilarian
2013-10-27, 06:41 PM
I went as well. Since the warg is blinded I went whole hog and did max Power Attack. Looks like it payed off. :)

I honestly haven't been keeping up with my experience. After my laptop died, I lost track for a while.

Rendel Nep
2013-10-27, 07:56 PM
Bookend needs to add another d6 to his damage

MandibleBones
2013-10-27, 10:12 PM
On the XP issue, it's a conundrum. You may recall that I made the mistake of recruiting for 6th-level characters instead of 5th. By the book, you're supposed to level up just before the fight with Wyrmlord Koth (who you just handily sniped out of the sky along with the manticore; these were supposed to be separate fights and both fairly resource-intensive).

At this juncture, I'm already retooling a lot of the things you're going to face - trying to strike a lovely balance between someone who you will take down in a round and someone who will take you down in a round (for full disclosure: as Koth would have, had I replaced his feats as I would a PC).

What does this mean for XP? It means a point sometime before you would have made level seven in the published campaign, but not immediately after this fight, I'm going to just level you up to seven. We'll gloss over XP for crafting scrolls, and we can talk about a replacement for other crafting, if that works.

Alternately I can go back through the threads and calculate your XP, if you like - but it will take a few days.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-27, 10:45 PM
On the XP issue, it's a conundrum. You may recall that I made the mistake of recruiting for 6th-level characters instead of 5th. By the book, you're supposed to level up just before the fight with Wyrmlord Koth (who you just handily sniped out of the sky along with the manticore; these were supposed to be separate fights and both fairly resource-intensive).

At this juncture, I'm already retooling a lot of the things you're going to face - trying to strike a lovely balance between someone who you will take down in a round and someone who will take you down in a round (for full disclosure: as Koth would have, had I replaced his feats as I would a PC).

What does this mean for XP? It means a point sometime before you would have made level seven in the published campaign, but not immediately after this fight, I'm going to just level you up to seven. We'll gloss over XP for crafting scrolls, and we can talk about a replacement for other crafting, if that works.

Alternately I can go back through the threads and calculate your XP, if you like - but it will take a few days.

I will go with whatever folks want to do.

And I appreciate all the trouble you've gone to in adapting this campaign!

MandibleBones
2013-10-28, 04:07 PM
Thanks, Shunka. In any event, while it's a lot of work, trying to react to the ever-changing party is also very fun. And you all rock.

... combat is updated.

Nihilarian
2013-10-28, 06:04 PM
To be fair, I chose to play a lion totem barbarian. It'd be weirder if things didn't die quickly.

I thought Meteor went to the West? I chose the north east one because Meteor was going the other way.
Strength check: [roll0]

MandibleBones
2013-10-28, 07:17 PM
I may have completely misread Shunka's direction for Meteor. This may be a good thing, given that I believe the hobgoblin's sword would have put Bookend at -8 and dying if it had hit him instead of Meteor.

Edit: On review, I still didn't see a direction for Meteor. However, I did notice I forgot to take off Meteor's DR from that longsword strike. So, uh, have 2 hp back.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-28, 07:32 PM
I may have completely misread Shunka's direction for Meteor. This may be a good thing, given that I believe the hobgoblin's sword would have put Bookend at -8 and dying if it had hit him instead of Meteor.

Edit: On review, I still didn't see a direction for Meteor. However, I did notice I forgot to take off Meteor's DR from that longsword strike. So, uh, have 2 hp back.

I screwed things up when I edited the post to put fluff in post die-rolls. Originally it had specified the NW worg and rider. All that remains now is 'Meteor arrows off to the West.'

But (1) you've made the map, which is a time investment, and (2) as you point out, it'd be bad if Meteor wasn't over there on the Eastern worg sucking up some of the beating, so I figure we'll play the ball pony where it lies flaps.

P.S., you answered my question about XP but not about whether Bookend has a potion of CMW (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16298097&postcount=906). Which might be immediately relevant...

MandibleBones
2013-10-28, 07:56 PM
Given that even reincarnation isn't feasible until Sojourner hits 7 (or you're back in Bridle, which is probably going to be after that), I am perfectly okay with Bookend having a potion of CMW on him, yes.

Noctemwolf
2013-10-29, 12:57 AM
I'm fine with whatever is done with Experience. I trust you all. =3

I must say as well, thank you Bones for keeping up with this. I don't know if I can express how much I enjoy this game.

SO MUCH LUV IT BREAKS MAH SCREEN

either way, I might just need to figgur' somethin' out for combat here. Reminding everyone about my circle against evil if your within 10 feet of Sojourner. And the other bonuses I cast just before combat for everyone that was close enough to get the buffs.

It should have been everyone, but if people ran off before it was cast, than only Sojourner and Cordon got the effects of divine protection.

spells in effect:

Circle of Protection from Evil, 60 minutes
(+2 deflection to AC and +2 deflect to saves against evil creatures for all allies who stay within 10 feet of Sojourner)

Magic weapon (Crossbow) 6 minutes (+1 to damage [+1 attack subsumed by MWK]) [this is my buff, so)

Divine Protection, 6 minutes
(+1 morale bonus to AC and saves)

Total against evil creatures: +3 AC and +3 saves

which reminds me, I forgot to add those save bonuses to mine against the fireball. Woulda failed still though, so no harm done.

Time to cause more chaos....

Edit: Also, Bones, it seems you missed my movement. 0-0* I had moved to O15, so I'm making my post assuming that's where I am.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-29, 05:58 AM
Edit: Also, Bones, it seems you missed my movement. 0-0* I had moved to O15, so I'm making my post assuming that's where I am.

Had a thought, so checked quickly...Fortunately, going by initiative, Charcoal moves before Sojourner, so while M11 is within range of his whoop'n'holler, Sojourner won't be entering that zone until after the initial auditory assault.

Rendel Nep
2013-10-29, 06:36 AM
I'm all for leveling.. Cordon is going to want ranks in Perform (Yaplap) after this.

Theoboldi
2013-10-29, 08:23 AM
I'll go with everyone else and just say that you can handle the xp thing however you want. You're already doing more than your fair share of work on this, and if you want to handwave the xp issue then that's absolutely fine.

Noctemwolf
2013-10-29, 01:07 PM
Had a thought, so checked quickly...Fortunately, going by initiative, Charcoal moves before Sojourner, so while M11 is within range of his whoop'n'holler, Sojourner won't be entering that zone until after the initial auditory assault.

You would be correct Shunka. (3

Nihilarian
2013-10-29, 07:49 PM
That area around the wary and rider is glitterdust, right? The one in post 320?

MandibleBones
2013-10-29, 08:18 PM
Yes, it absolutely is. I completely forgot that sticks around, and will make sure it re-appears in the next combat update. I have, however, been factoring in the miss chance for the hobgoblin, who totally failed his save (so did the mage, though it, uh, only mattered briefly).

MandibleBones
2013-10-30, 10:01 PM
It may be Friday before I update you all.

... I lost my job today. I need a couple days to get my head on straight.

Theoboldi
2013-10-30, 10:07 PM
Don't know what else I can do but give you my condolences. Feel really sorry for you.

Anyway. Take your time, Mandibles. No one expects you to write up an update for this when you don't feel up to it yet.

radmelon
2013-10-30, 10:16 PM
That really sucks. I hope you find a good one soon. You 'liberate' any office supplies?

MandibleBones
2013-10-30, 10:26 PM
No - honestly, I applied for a position well beyond my skill set, and left because I didn't have the skill set to do the job to the level it needed to be done. I still believe in the work they're doing; no need to FUBAR the other people I worked with.

radmelon
2013-10-30, 11:09 PM
I admire you for having the WIS to recognize it and the CON to admit it.

Shunka Warakin
2013-10-30, 11:27 PM
It may be Friday before I update you all.

... I lost my job today. I need a couple days to get my head on straight.

*Hugs*

Best of luck to you, I know these aren't the best times for hunting.

Sometimes it IS good to take a job which will stretch your capabilities, but it is always a risk. We only know our own measure when we try our hardest to go the distance and don't quite make it.

Here's hoping your next job is something that doesn't strain you terribly but which you still find rewarding and fulfilling!

Nihilarian
2013-10-31, 10:18 PM
Take your time, Mandible, and good luck with your next job. :)

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-02, 02:07 AM
Just filling the space with a little image by Earthsong9405 of Twilight in fantasy mail.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/5f3ce74b952102cb78e29e77df4d4fec/tumblr_mvmgvn9opk1se0w0bo1_1280.jpg

A little sketchadoodle I did because… reasons. o3o

I actually drew this half asleep last night, so please ignore the mistakes in anatomy and whatnot. :’(

Anyway, this little sketchadoodle is of a militaristic Twilight Sparkle, because I haven’t done such a thing in a while. I’m actually working on a practice fanfic that features this version of Twily, along with the rest of the mane 6, with the fantastic Liam Neighson. The story itself is something of a different take of the Hearth’s Warming Eve play they starred in, but instead of using the characters of that play’s name, they keep their own names and the world they live in is… uh… well, let’s just say the play version is a rated G retelling of the history of what happened so it’d be more appropriate for foals. o3o

And it also features my top OTPS because it CAN! >8D

Ahem… anywho. This Twilight is still a unicorn because Celestia and Luna aren’t present yet, so she couldn’t ascend. Anyway, Twily here is a very skilled and dangerous knight of Rarity’s court, and has been appointed as Rarity’s personal bodyguard due to her unmatched skill. She’s not heartless, and she’s quite passionate toward magic of ALL forms(love, friendship, spells, ect), but being born in a militaristic family hadn’t really allowed her to be exposed to it fully. Years of training and fighting as hardened her considerably, and it gives her a rather grey moral compass. Thankfully Rarity’s there to help sort that out, but it’ll take some time.

For this story, Twilight and Shining Armor are literally bred as soldiers, in a sense; their mother and father were soldiers, their parents were soldiers, their parents before them, so on. And because of this, Twilight has a little more draft horse in her, making her tall and packed with muscle. She’s no where near as strong as Applejack as far as physical strength goes, but she can certainly pack quite a punch, and this isn’t even adding her magic into the equation.

I also drew her with her mane cut short, because I’d think that’d be the usual among the soldiers, of all the breeds. You can keep your mane long, but it’s simply easier to keep it shorter. She’ll eventually let it grow out though, specifically when Rarity compliments on it when it gets a little longer than it usually was.

I… actually really like her mane short. It’s a good look for her. :3 But anyway.

The armor was sort of thrown on there so I didn’t really plan it out or anything. Soooo… let’s just say this is… training armor? I’ll probably go back and refine it…. probably.

Whatevs. But yeah, I’ll eventually draw out the other 5 for this universe too, so keep your eyes peeled. I’ll also include Spikey Wikey, but he’d be REALLY young in this story. Like… between the ages of infant to 4.

Anywho, as always, feel free to ask me any questions, and thanks for stoppin’ by. :3

radmelon
2013-11-02, 03:08 AM
Oh yes, I'm a big fan of earthsong's art. THey have an excellent grasp of anatomy, and I find that most of their headcanons are good enough to adopt as my own.

I do want to note though that you should probably put that in a spoiler tag to stop it stretching screens too much.

MandibleBones
2013-11-02, 04:33 PM
Alright, everypony, I'm back and awake and alive. I'll update your combat tonight (I'd do it now, but I've got to leave in a couple minutes and would rather not rush, given my propensity for missing small details like pony placement and damage reduction when I do). See you in a couple hours!

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-02, 08:13 PM
Oh yes, I'm a big fan of earthsong's art. THey have an excellent grasp of anatomy, and I find that most of their headcanons are good enough to adopt as my own.

I do want to note though that you should probably put that in a spoiler tag to stop it stretching screens too much.

Fixed, sorry! I didn't realize how big that was.

MandibleBones
2013-11-02, 10:41 PM
And combat update, as promised. Thanks, you all, for being supportive and understanding. This week has been somewhat difficult for me.

Though I did get to be part of shooting a Ravenclaws house pride music video the previous weekend, so maybe it balances out? I'll let you know.

Edit: And that art is awesome. Definitely the kind of feel I'm going for, anyway.

Doxkid
2013-11-03, 05:24 PM
Just wandered back. Hope you find something that suits you better Mandible.

If ya'll need me I'll probably be lurking still.

Rendel Nep
2013-11-05, 02:44 AM
I want Cordon to charge hobgoblin #1 but need to know what everyone else is doing.

Noctemwolf
2013-11-05, 03:11 PM
I want Cordon to charge hobgoblin #1 but need to know what everyone else is doing.

I'll be posting up here soon!

And combat update, as promised. Thanks, you all, for being supportive and understanding. This week has been somewhat difficult for me.

Though I did get to be part of shooting a Ravenclaws house pride music video the previous weekend, so maybe it balances out? I'll let you know.

Edit: And that art is awesome. Definitely the kind of feel I'm going for, anyway.

I'm sorry to see your on tough times. It happens. I'm glad your trying your best to reinvigorate things. Best of luck!

Rendel Nep
2013-11-05, 06:20 PM
Just a friendly reminder to add 1d6 to your damage for any melee or ranged attacks otherwise Cordon's terrible singing was all for nothing.

radmelon
2013-11-06, 12:35 PM
Fortunately, the sneak attack damage I rolled can be used for that. I'll roll the actual SA damage here then.

[roll0]

Noctemwolf
2013-11-06, 07:48 PM
Rolling for possible Crit.

[roll0] +6
[roll1]

Edit: ...

dang it. I'll try this again in a moment.

Noctemwolf
2013-11-06, 07:50 PM
[roll0] +6 []
[roll1]]

edit: No critical hit.

MandibleBones
2013-11-07, 03:36 PM
If I could get an action for Meteor, Bookend, and Lord Emeraldcoat, I will be pleased to finish the last round of this combat tomorrow (and get to the looting, which I'm sure is everpony's favorite part).

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-07, 08:14 PM
If I could get an action for Meteor, Bookend, and Lord Emeraldcoat, I will be pleased to finish the last round of this combat tomorrow (and get to the looting, which I'm sure is everpony's favorite part).

Hee. I was actually typing it up when you posted. Hopefully others will post shortly.

That's going to be a very dead hobgoblin, I imagine.

Rendel Nep
2013-11-09, 06:53 AM
RNG hates us :(

MandibleBones
2013-11-11, 02:56 PM
First of all, the RNG has loved you this fight so far, not hated you. Second, I am sorry - "tomorrow" turned into "Bucking Tarterus, I have a paper due on Sunday that I haven't started." I got it done on time last night, and I'm updating you all now.

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-11, 03:19 PM
First of all, the RNG has loved you this fight so far, not hated you. Second, I am sorry - "tomorrow" turned into "Bucking Tarterus, I have a paper due on Sunday that I haven't started." I got it done on time last night, and I'm updating you all now.

Eek! Glad you got your paper done on time. I hope the "last minute deadline surprise" still left you enough time to do well on it. :)

Real life (especially things like school and work) always, always takes priority and that is NOT something you need to apologize for.

MandibleBones
2013-11-11, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I started Saturday and ended up getting it done several hours before deadline. Wasn't so long that I couldn't do it at the last minute, but I needed to slog through the journal article I was critically analyzing first.

But I appreciate my players' patience :smallbiggrin:

Noctemwolf
2013-11-11, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I started Saturday and ended up getting it done several hours before deadline. Wasn't so long that I couldn't do it at the last minute, but I needed to slog through the journal article I was critically analyzing first.

But I appreciate my players' patience :smallbiggrin:

Patience is a virtue after all. :smalltongue:

Nihilarian
2013-11-11, 08:15 PM
"Mercy!"
"Hah! No!"

Well then.

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-11, 08:35 PM
Wordy, wordy frightened pegasus. Wordy, wordy writer.

Doxkid
2013-11-11, 08:41 PM
It contains an arcane scroll (mount)
What. How would that even...

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-11, 08:49 PM

I, uh...

I imagine someone casting that in Equestria might find themselves suprised by the results.

Or maybe it's one of those spells which exist primarily for the comfort and convenience of the caster. You know, the ones which summon food and drink, or palatial extra-dimensional shelters or various extraplanar servants. You know. Just slightly kinkier.

Mount
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One mount
Duration: 2 hours/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You summon a light horse or a pony (your choice) to serve you as a mount. The steed serves willingly and well. The mount comes with a bit and bridle and a riding saddle.
Material Component: A bit of horse hair.

And the R34 artist wanders away, dusting her hands off, having implanted an image in your head without even resorting to an art program. "My work here is done!"

Doxkid
2013-11-11, 09:00 PM
My main problem was that I already had that idea in my head.

I've been trying to find those pics in my archives...and located 4 of them so far. There are probably more, but my folders are not very organized.

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-11, 09:18 PM
My main problem was that I already had that idea in my head.

I've been trying to find those pics in my archives...and located 4 of them so far. There are probably more, but my folders are not very organized.

The internet has MANY. I am personally fond of an artist by the name of Longinius. A search for "longinius" and "Rarity's secret" will produce quite a selection of, er, saddle-wear...

Doxkid
2013-11-11, 09:26 PM
Once I start sorting my images I might set up a proper archive and then post the .rar in one of the normal places. I've been meaning to do it for a while, but once I hit 40+ gigs I got lazy...

Rendel Nep
2013-11-11, 11:07 PM
Equestria already dealt with this in the tale of Hearts and hooves day.

http://derpicdn.net/img/2012/7/8/36317/large.png

MandibleBones
2013-11-12, 01:21 AM

You're welcome to cast it and see.

Theoboldi
2013-11-12, 02:18 AM
I'd personally like to claim one of those curing potions for Charcoal. His squishiness is getting very worrying at times.

Oh, and also that scroll, if no one else wants it. :smallamused:
Because it's still worth 25 gold, and I'm nothing if not a miser.

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-12, 11:37 PM
I'd personally like to claim one of those curing potions for Charcoal. His squishiness is getting very worrying at times.

Oh, and also that scroll, if no one else wants it. :smallamused:
Because it's still worth 25 gold, and I'm nothing if not a miser.

Could be wrong, but I think at this point, between the captures and the ones Meteor brought, there's enough for everyone to have at least one CMW potion and two for the melee types.

Theoboldi
2013-11-13, 03:15 AM
Well, I guess that means I'll help myself to a share of the gold too, which should be a number I'll calculate later since I don't have time now. Yay!

Edit: 92 gold and 372 silver. Not too much, but at least the weapons should add to that once we can sell them.

MandibleBones
2013-11-13, 02:09 PM
As an OOC note, as this is pretty much the one part of the adventure where I feel I should say so: you will regret it for the rest of the campaign if you don't explore the ruins.

Theoboldi
2013-11-13, 02:24 PM
Which ruins? Do you mean the keep? :smallconfused:

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-13, 03:22 PM
As an OOC note, as this is pretty much the one part of the adventure where I feel I should say so: you will regret it for the rest of the campaign if you don't explore the ruins.

Oh goody, I was half-worried that you'd sent us the map because you figured we were going to scaredy-cat away from the Keep, but Meteor's logic is based on the idea that a timetable is useless if you can't figure out a real date for at least one part of it. Meteor doesn't know (nor do I, having not done modules, all my GMs like to roll their own adventures) if the hobgoblin army is two weeks out or two minutes out. She needs a hobgoblin who can answer some questions, or some more paperwork.

Fortunately we now have Elixirs of Truth. That should make things easier. No accident, I'm sure.

Which ruins? Do you mean the keep? :smallconfused:

At least two of our party actually got involved in this because they had archaeological interest in the Keep...And at Drellin's Ferry, the adventuring party agreed to investigate the Keep. So, hobgoblins or no, Meteor intends to find out as much as she can.

Due to the Princess's message, Meteor has been on a combat-footing the whole time. She's confused and worried that the Princesses (who usually are not people a silly little Militsiya pony thinks to question) are unsure and in active disagreement with each other to the extent that she's been sent along by Luna when Celestia apparently doesn't think it necessary.

Which is a weird sort of place to be! "Minor Deity 1 doesn't think you're required but Minor Deity 2 is sending you along anyway and has said they think highly of you." Damned and praised!

Also, the way Meteor reads that message is that Big C thinks it's just another "minor skirmish" with the gryphons, and Luna thinks it's worse.

Meteor does not consider another "minor skirmish" anything to sneeze at. She lost friends and comrades in the last one. So she has been expecting things to go bad from the start.

MandibleBones
2013-11-13, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I mean the keep. Sorry :-)

THEChanger
2013-11-14, 12:38 AM
Rereading Lord Emeraldcoat's little speech there, I realize he's a little bit specieist. Huh. Who knew.

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-14, 01:38 AM
Rereading Lord Emeraldcoat's little speech there, I realize he's a little bit specieist. Huh. Who knew.

Awwwwww, he and Meteor can be a bit speciesist, together.

Rendel Nep
2013-11-14, 05:36 AM
Cordon would ascribe to that opinion too. They eat meat for Celestia's sake. What uncouth barbarians eat meat? Who's to say they aren't Equinovores?

Theoboldi
2013-11-14, 05:52 AM
Heck, add Charcoal to that pile. We can all be one big, happy, specieist family!

Also, am I the only who noticed that he called Meteor a he in that last paragraph? :smalltongue:

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-14, 12:20 PM
Heck, add Charcoal to that pile. We can all be one big, happy, specieist family!

Also, am I the only who noticed that he called Meteor a he in that last paragraph? :smalltongue:

Do you mean "He very clearly had his heart in the right place."? I thought that was referring to Lord Emeraldcoat.

Meteor's really feeling the love right now. ;D

But this is like a retired state-governor addressing on-duty military. It'd be smart for them to be polite, but he'd have to go to her CO to get her orders changed. And right now she's treating Luna's missive combined with her TDY affidavit as meaning that her normal, standing orders are in force.

And in most militaries, if you're a normal soldier out of contact with your command and have discovered hostiles invading your nation, you have a duty to find out what you can, then report back. Meteor is also a scout/courier/reconnaisance/Aufklarungspezialist/what-have-you, which means it is her duty to provide better intel of what's coming than a normal soldier would, including making contact with the enemy (does not mean the same thing at all in the military "in contact with hostile forces" does not mean you are chatting with them), etc.

Theoboldi
2013-11-14, 12:33 PM
Do you mean "He very clearly had his heart in the right place."? I thought that was referring to Lord Emeraldcoat.

Well, in that case it would be worded rather akwardly. But that's just my opnion.

Meteor's really feeling the love right now. ;D

But this is like a retired state-governor addressing on-duty military. It'd be smart for them to be polite, but he'd have to go to her CO to get her orders changed. And right now she's treating Luna's missive combined with her TDY affidavit as meaning that her normal, standing orders are in force.

And in most militaries, if you're a normal soldier out of contact with your command and have discovered hostiles invading your nation, you have a duty to find out what you can, then report back. Meteor is also a scout/courier/reconnaisance/Aufklarungspezialist/what-have-you, which means it is her duty to provide better intel of what's coming than a normal soldier would, including making contact with the enemy (does not mean the same thing at all in the military "in contact with hostile forces" does not mean you are chatting with them), etc.

While we are on that note, Charcoal may right now be just a few more sentences away from flinging a massive rant at Meteor. He really is angry about her apathy towards the goblins, and especially that she placed the responsibility for them solely on him.

Depending on what she says next, this may go either way.

MandibleBones
2013-11-14, 02:59 PM
It's an interesting situation, to be sure. On the one hand, Meteor is right - she is active militsya in the area and tasked with investigating the situation. On the other hand, this is Equestria, and titled nobility do have some military authority - even if Lord Emeraldcoat's purview is not anywhere near here.

To put this into real world perspective, let me put this out as I see it:

Secretary of Defense Luna issues orders directly to Air National Guard 2nd Lt. Meteor to gather information and intelligence on a possible threat to Equestrian Security. Meanwhile, retired Army National Guard Maj. Emeraldcoat is called back to service to investigate a similar threat, though his orders come from a much lower authority than Luna.

On the one hand, Emeraldcoat clearly outranks Meteor. On the other, he's nowhere in her Chain of Command. When it comes to performing her duties (gathering information and intelligence on the goblin menace), she can get away with telling him "Sir, go buck yourself." In other situations, it's unlikely to go well if she does.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party are civilians assigned/voluntold by local law enforcement to the same task. They don't have to listen to either Meteor or Emeraldcoat, or follow their orders. Most of the time, they should be required to get out of the way — but on the other hand, Charcoal is right in standing between Meteor and the prisoners, because Equestria, like most civilized nations, has a conscience clause (Roughly paraphrased: "It is the duty of any servicemember to recognize orders contrary to the Law of Armed Conflict, to refuse such orders, and to act against such orders' completion.").

(Wyrmlord Koth, incidentally, had no such clause, and thought nothing of torching the prisoners as well as the ponies, because Lawful Evil is still Evil).

So it's a very moral gray area situation, and everybody seems to be doing precisely what they think they should be doing. And as a DM, so long as my players are all okay with this IC argument, I think it's pretty awesome.

What the IC "correct" answer is, at the end of the day, is going to depend greatly on how the campaign turns out, which Princess is judging, and the assumption that all of you survive this.

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-14, 03:50 PM
On the one hand, Emeraldcoat clearly outranks Meteor. On the other, he's nowhere in her Chain of Command. When it comes to performing her duties (gathering information and intelligence on the goblin menace), she can get away with telling him "Sir, go buck yourself." In other situations, it's unlikely to go well if she does.

Meteor does have a few options that are politer than that. But she also feels she is operating under time pressure...And in most societies, feudal on forward, "I report directly to the Queen (Princess)" takes precedence over landed nobility...Or ex-landed nobility, as I think Lord Emeraldcoat is, which makes him purely titular.

However, she's going to try more polite options. She needs people to work together.

Voluntold. Wow, I haven't heard that in a while. Also, re: "most civilized nations" either you use a different definition of "civilized" from the rest of the world, or...Well. If you'd said "Most European nations" I'd have gone with that.

It's also worth noting that there are records of every single one of those nations going beyond that boundary deliberately and sacrificing personnel to take the blame as necessary when it was a question of national security. Not that Meteor intends to volunteer in that regard...Although she stepped really close to that line when she stated that it could be taken up with her CO after this situation was taken care of.

I'm looking forward to seeing Bookend's IC take, because he's CG, which will probably not dispose him to any arguments having to do with rank/orders, but he's also more aware of the full situation at this time than the newcomers (non-adventurer party) who arrived just in time to be hit by a manticore.

And I surely hope everyone is keeping any negative feelings purely IC! I definitely am.

Doxkid
2013-11-14, 04:54 PM
What the IC "correct" answer is, at the end of the day, is going to depend greatly on how the campaign turns out, which Princess is judging, and the assumption that all of you survive this.

I maintain that each player should leave this game utterly paranoid, mildly traumatized, and very happy that they played things though.

But no~o~o~o. You want their characters to do silly things like live and not cry themselves to sleep when they see lettuce.

THEChanger
2013-11-14, 05:12 PM

Well. That was my mistake. I was under the impression Meteor was male. I'm sorry. :smallfrown:

Gotta get used to a new cast. Post edited.

Theoboldi
2013-11-14, 05:20 PM
Meanwhile, the rest of the party are civilians assigned/voluntold by local law enforcement to the same task. They don't have to listen to either Meteor or Emeraldcoat, or follow their orders. Most of the time, they should be required to get out of the way — but on the other hand, Charcoal is right in standing between Meteor and the prisoners, because Equestria, like most civilized nations, has a conscience clause (Roughly paraphrased: "It is the duty of any servicemember to recognize orders contrary to the Law of Armed Conflict, to refuse such orders, and to act against such orders' completion.").

If I may expand on Charcoal's viewpoint some more, I think it is important to realise that he is in some ways surprisingly lawful, if I may use that term. He does not give much, or any consideration to such things as circumstances. Things that are wrong under one circumstance are wrong under any other to him, and every decision has to be made accordingly. This is what causes him not to care about who has authority in this situation, or what anyone's orders are.

Also, he places much importance on taking responsibility for the things one does, and standing up for ones beliefs. This is why the fact that Meteor put the fate of goblins into his hands angers him so much, since he percieves it as her trying to keep her hooves clean of guilt. Essentially, he thinks of her as cowardly and immoral.

Well. That was my mistake. I was under the impression Meteor was male. I'm sorry. :smallfrown:

Hooray! Time to be smug about having been right. :smallamused:

Doxkid
2013-11-14, 05:23 PM

No! Dont edit that out! It's hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

I'd at least like for Meteor to correct you...or to not correct you if she think's being identified as the right gender isn't important enough to waste words on.

THEChanger
2013-11-14, 05:26 PM
No! Dont edit that out! It's hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

I'd at least like for Meteor to correct you...or to not correct you if she think's being identified as the right gender isn't important enough to waste words on.

The thing is Lord Emeraldcoat never refers to Meteor as he. Only I, THEChanger, referred to Meteor as he. So that's something I should change. :smallredface:

Doxkid
2013-11-14, 05:34 PM
:smallfrown:Aww...alright, I guess...:smallfrown:

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-14, 07:20 PM
Also, he places much importance on taking responsibility for the things one does, and standing up for ones beliefs. This is why the fact that Meteor put the fate of goblins into his hands angers him so much, since he percieves it as her trying to keep her hooves clean of guilt. Essentially, he thinks of her as cowardly and immoral.

Okay, there is a HUGE world-view disconnect there.

Meteor took responsibility for what she was doing. In fact, she volunteered herself for courts-martial AFTER the battle was done.
This time she does look at Charcoal. "Uze no zpellz or ev'ectz t'at can 'arm zhuor alliez. Iv anyv'un doez zo, ant it rezultz in t'e deat' ov anot'er pony, I v'ill zee t'at t'ey are 'eld rezponzible v'en all t'iz iz ofer, az I exzpekt to 'ave my actionz kveztioned, ant to be 'eld rezponzible v'or t'em, v'en all t'iz iz ofer. V'e do nyeight argue in t'e v'aze ov t'e enemy. Zafe it v'or later." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16183083&postcount=306)
When Charcoal used FORCE to prevented her from carrying out what she saw as her responsibility, he took responsibility for the lives of those goblins. From where she is standing, he tried to take them into civilian custody.

She either has to look at it that way, or look at it as giving willing aid and succor to enemies of Equestria. You want her to look at it as taking them into civilian custody, trust me. She's a signatory of paragraph two, and I dare say the entire Militsiya is (and it's certain that the Royal Guard are as well (efen iv t'ey are a bunch ov effete krupper-polizherz...) It'd be necessary for them to ACT as the Royal Guard).

And yeah, that's a pretty weirdly lawful mentality for someone who is putatively CG. Not that I much enjoy D&D's alignment systems.

MandibleBones
2013-11-14, 10:57 PM
Also, re: "most civilized nations" either you use a different definition of "civilized" from the rest of the world, or...Well. If you'd said "Most European nations" I'd have gone with that.

Yeah, there's a few outside there that also have that rule, with some variation on implementation. It was kind of drilled into our heads when I was an Airman.

radmelon
2013-11-15, 12:28 AM
Back on the note of potential speciesism, I view Dusty Tomes as having spent far too much time outside of equestria to really hold a dim view of other races. However, he wouldn't be likely to object to Meteor's phrasing if it is indeed true that Gryphonian tactics are fairly brutal.

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-15, 03:23 AM
Yeah, there's a few outside there that also have that rule, with some variation on implementation. It was kind of drilled into our heads when I was an Airman.

Yah. It's historically something one sees in nations that have the luxury of excessive force and warfighting technologies that minimize their own casualties and human investment. When one doesn't have those advantages, things get a lot less focused on method and more on result.

Back on the note of potential speciesism, I view Dusty Tomes as having spent far too much time outside of equestria to really hold a dim view of other races. However, he wouldn't be likely to object to Meteor's phrasing if it is indeed true that Gryphonian tactics are fairly brutal.

You mean Lord Emeraldcoat's phrasing? ;)

First gender, then identity. The boundaries are slipping!

Also I'd imagine that to most ponies, anyone's warfighting tactics are brutal. Bearing in mind that there has historically been a distinction between war and 'honorable combat'. No matter how much people stand on ceremony and honor/chivalry/bushido/what have you, when you start threatening people's homes and families the gloves tend to come off.

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-15, 04:58 AM
And now it says "She very clearly had his heart in the right place."

In a shoebox, under the bed?

Theoboldi
2013-11-15, 06:44 AM
Okay, there is a HUGE world-view disconnect there.

Meteor took responsibility for what she was doing. In fact, she volunteered herself for courts-martial AFTER the battle was done.
This time she does look at Charcoal. "Uze no zpellz or ev'ectz t'at can 'arm zhuor alliez. Iv anyv'un doez zo, ant it rezultz in t'e deat' ov anot'er pony, I v'ill zee t'at t'ey are 'eld rezponzible v'en all t'iz iz ofer, az I exzpekt to 'ave my actionz kveztioned, ant to be 'eld rezponzible v'or t'em, v'en all t'iz iz ofer. V'e do nyeight argue in t'e v'aze ov t'e enemy. Zafe it v'or later." (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16183083&postcount=306)
When Charcoal used FORCE to prevented her from carrying out what she saw as her responsibility, he took responsibility for the lives of those goblins. From where she is standing, he tried to take them into civilian custody.

She either has to look at it that way, or look at it as giving willing aid and succor to enemies of Equestria. You want her to look at it as taking them into civilian custody, trust me. She's a signatory of paragraph two, and I dare say the entire Militsiya is (and it's certain that the Royal Guard are as well (efen iv t'ey are a bunch ov effete krupper-polizherz...) It'd be necessary for them to ACT as the Royal Guard).

And yeah, that's a pretty weirdly lawful mentality for someone who is putatively CG. Not that I much enjoy D&D's alignment systems.

Gee, it's almost as though Charcoal is being unreasonable. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, from his perspective the prisoners are everypony's responsibility. That his main crux with the whole situation.Because the group of ponies of which he is now part has taken those goblins prisoner, they must also take responsibility for treating them correctly, no matter what. Hurting or actively abandoning them (though he was saying earlier that he would do this, it was just a bluff as you may remember) is wrong from anyone involved.
His view on this is rather black and white, I admit.

Anyway, yes. The thing that would probably be best for him is the one that will make him hate Meteor the most. Funny thing, that.

Also, he is chaotic neutral, not good. Though an alignment-shift to TN may very well be in order at some point in the future.

radmelon
2013-11-15, 12:44 PM
...:smallredface: Right, I am referring to the phrasing of a sentence said by a small horse who may or may not have extraneous features. Hope that clears things up.

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-15, 06:13 PM
Also, he is chaotic neutral, not good. Though an alignment-shift to TN may very well be in order at some point in the future.

If you want to shift AWAY from Good then defending helpless prisoners is a weeeeeeeeeeeeird way to go about it. ;D

Nihilarian
2013-11-15, 08:38 PM
What's everyone's colors? Me and Emeraldcoat have the same color and I'm not going to compete for green with a guy named Emerald, lol.

MandibleBones
2013-11-15, 09:12 PM
Personally, I think the fact that it's still morning makes Bookend deliberately falling asleep on Meteor and Emeraldcoat all the more poignent, but in case you wanted to change that...

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-15, 11:47 PM
What's everyone's colors? Me and Emeraldcoat have the same color and I'm not going to compete for green with a guy named Emerald, lol.

Meteor has been using blue.

So very blue...

Personally, I think the fact that it's still morning makes Bookend deliberately falling asleep on Meteor and Emeraldcoat all the more poignent, but in case you wanted to change that...

Yeah, given that we waited out the night to ambush the scouts in the morning, and it's only been perhaps an hour or so since that first ambush happened, I assumed that was absolutely deliberate on Bookend's part.

Which is part of why Meteor is trying her damnedest to make her position on what's happening (and what must be done) clear to who she is assuming is the leader of the newcomers.

Rendel Nep
2013-11-16, 04:32 AM
Cordon's was Dark orange but I might switch to Sandy Brown

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-16, 05:53 AM
Cordon's was Dark orange but I might switch to Sandy Brown

Those look nearly identical on my screen?

Theoboldi
2013-11-16, 06:48 AM
If you want to shift AWAY from Good then defending helpless prisoners is a weeeeeeeeeeeeird way to go about it. ;D

I'm not the one who made torturing vestiges for power the main ability of Anima Mages. :smalltongue:

Charcoal is and probably always will be Dark Red.

radmelon
2013-11-16, 01:01 PM
That would work if Dusty Tomes wasn't Sandy Brown.

Nihilarian
2013-11-16, 02:16 PM
It's absolutely deliberate, though he is tired anyway. Barbarian rage fatigues you (though it has no mechanical effects after the combat has ended)

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-16, 05:35 PM
By the by, I did a little research, because as a historian I am perenially fascinated by how quickly historical norms are forgotten. It turns out that Conscience Clauses are purely a 20th c. invention (1916). I also did some digging into the regulations surrounding the summary execution of prisoners.

Spoilered for folks who have no interest in such things:

The U.S. military does not, strictly speaking, have a conscience clause of the type you were discussing, Bones. What it does have is a set of orders and oaths which share the phrase "lawful order" as in, the violation or refusal of lawful orders. This is Section 92 of the UCMJ (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitivearticles/a/mcm92.htm).

Meteor's killing of a prisoner of war (questionable: missing declaration of war) is definitely shady by modern American standards. It doesn't fall under a violation of lawful orders (standing, general, or delivered). Rather, it would be addressed under that part of the UCMJ which requires upholding the law of the nation and would be tried as murder. It is entirely possible that the extenuating circumstances of being in contact with a known enemy who could benefit from that prisoner's intelligence might be taken into account (such things have happened, though not in recent conflicts). It is also entirely possible that the extenuating circumstances would have been dismissed in light of alternatives, i.e., "You could have tied him to a tree."

If Meteor were trying to be disingenuous rather than acting out of desperation/perceived necessity, the hobgoblin probably would've been released, then "killed while attempting to escape," a phrase which has been used in the real world frequently enough that it should sound familiar in a very ugly manner. This is viable (in circumstances where it has not been contrived) because an enemy combatant running to potentially warn other enemy combatants is contributing to an action of war. This is why Napoleonic paroles for a captured or surrendered force often included clauses that the captured troops swear not only to not bear arms again, but also to not aid their nation's armed forces in any manner...Supposedly they would keep their mouths shut, not that anyone believed this (or, for that matter, believed they would not bear arms again...A nobleman's word was valuable, but it was commonly expected that commoners had no such standards of behavior).

The "I was just following orders." phrase has come under a great deal of scrutiny since the mid-twentieth century, but before that, more often than not, it was expected. Wars before WW2 were far more brutal than people seem to realize. We think of WW1 as modern, undertaken by nations which we consider "civilized" but an examination of the acts by the high commands on all involved sides in places like Flanders (Paaschendale) and Gallipoli would never survive modern scrutiny as "acceptable."

It has also, historically, been rather common for scouting parties to take prisoners for interrogation, and such prisoners were summarily executed more frequently than not because such scouting parties tended to be too small to allocate guards to a prisoner or ensure the prisoner did not delay their movement or give away their position to the enemy, and invariably tended to acquire such prisoners when they were not in a position to turn them over to friendly forces.

This was never universally counter to military law. In the infamous case of Breaker Morant, for example, the Manual of Military Law permitted the summary execution of prisoners. It was expected, in fact, when surrenders were made after the order (again, historically frequent enough that it has made its way into common cultural awareness) "take no prisoners" had been issued...Invariably, enemy forces did not attempt to cooperate with "take no prisoners" orders, but tried to surrender when out of ammunition or faced with overwhelming force...And were then executed. There are a lot of shady issues surrounding the Morant court-martial to this day, but the big nail that got pounded in for the verdict was less about him having shot a prisoner, and more about him having shot a civilian witness because he feared the witness talking about him having shot the prisoner who surrendered under a white flag, a wholly different situation from a prisoner who is captured while undertaking military operations.

If there had been no white flag, Morant's execution of the prisoner would've been standard process under his CO's "no prisoner's" directive (which was on record) and even if no such directive existed would've been excused if Morant's command had encountered the enemy and the prisoner became a liability to their survival. If there had been no white flag, Heese (the reverend) could have talked the live-long day about what he'd seen and military officials would have responed with "that's regrettable but that's war" or words to similar effect. The white-flag and the murder of the civilian were what earned Morant his trial and his infamy.

It's also notable that "The Law of Armed Conflict" is an international convention, (and one which not all modern nations have signed). If Equestria is signatory to such an agreement with, say, the Gryphons, it's still doubtful that it applies to hobgoblins.

But all of this is getting pretty far away from Meteor's thought processes, which were more simple and immediate, something along the lines of:

1. We're in contact with and cut off from support by an unknown hostile force.
2. We have a responsibility to acquire the necessary tactical and strategic information to permit Equestrian forces to engage with minimal loss of Equestrian life and maximum effect on hostiles.
3. We do not have facilities or personnel capable of holding prisoners in such a fashion that they do not represent a threat to the safety of the group.

It's notable that Meteor didn't give orders to anyone to kill the hobgoblins. She took the responsibility on herself, and expects (as she said) to have her actions questioned later. Meteor does not have prior command experience (which will come up pretty soon due to the way things are heading between her and Emeraldcoat) and is in that very dangerous position not uncommon to isolated and desperate groups of weighing the penalties she may suffer (execution for murder) against the benefits of potentially excusable infractions (killing a prisoner might permit the team to survive longer and acquire better information; better information will save pony lives...In this case good and timely intel about a large invading force could save hundreds or thousands of lives...And if that means Meteor will have her head handed to her later, she can live with that possibility).

All in all, as Bones pointed out, it's a very gray situation with a lot of unpleasant decisions being made based on different pony's different ethical perspectives.

Edit: Forgot to date the Morant trial. 1902.

Noctemwolf
2013-11-17, 01:46 AM
I'll be posting and reading everything everyone has posted tomorrow. :smallcool:

Noctemwolf
2013-11-19, 08:48 PM
Sojourner colors for speech is Sienna.
Bah. I'm not happy with my post. It's something at least, though. Anyone willing to help me figure him out? Seems I have no idea who Sojourner actually is. 0-0* Or why the hell he's still around. He's not a warrior, for sure.

Also, it seems Dndsheets is acting up, and I don't have my gold totals 'nor my languages anymore...

Shunka Warakin
2013-11-20, 03:02 AM
Sojourner colors for speech is Sienna.
Bah. I'm not happy with my post. It's something at least, though. Anyone willing to help me figure him out? Seems I have no idea who Sojourner actually is. 0-0* Or why the hell he's still around. He's not a warrior, for sure.

Also, it seems Dndsheets is acting up, and I don't have my gold totals 'nor my languages anymore...

I honestly don't see any issue at all with that post.

Sojourner hasn't been a heavily visible participant in any of the fights so far. Support-spell casters rarely are. Everyone notices the big heal. Nobody remembers the protection circles, the prayer bonuses, and other little effects that certainly did matter but aren't flashy. He HAS been a participant, though.

When the party first assembled, he did seem more interested in Dusty's intentions to research some ruins, rather than to do reconnaissance of something weird going on (though he did receive a missive from Celestia). And if you see him primarily as a scholar, that's absolutely dandy.

I don't see any conflict at all with him being played as a scholar stuck in the middle of a war zone and feeling ill-equipped for it. (Hint: most of the party seems to be feeling ill-equipped for it...Meteor occasionally behaves in ways that ought to make this obvious even though she's trying to cover herself with Kazak bravado.)

Edit: I had little to do tonight and couldn't sleep so I scrolled back through the IC, paying special attention to Sojourner.

Sojourner has been a fish out of water from before the start; as a pony raised by zebras he has been a little distant and a little hesitant in all of his conversations with the group. That's fine! And it has been consistent. As a combatant, he has had little visibility, but he has given good advice a few times about the enemies the party has faced. He's also apparently the one who has picked up the most about extraplanar involvements and the like. He IS acting very much as the party low-key mystic/scholar and that seems to be fine.

But it has definitely been consistent.

If you are seeing it as an inconsistency, is it perhaps something you're dissatisfied with about the character?

Is there some direction you'd like to take the character in that you'd feel more comfortable with?

To date, most of what has been happening has been chit-chat and OHGODCOMBAT.

These are definitely straining situations, so a bit of an evolution in personality would not be amiss if that's something you want to change.

Meteor was initially meant to be relatively shy (and it still comes out here and there, if one is looking for it...I hope!). Except, you know, when it comes to things that she's highly trained for. Which means most of what she's seen herself in. If we get into any sort of diplomatic situation, she's probably going to duck and hide behind the less combative ponies. It would be dangerous to try to let her brazen it out...Any real diplomat in such a situation would be able to see pretty handily that she was internally terrified and hiding it with a head full of stubbornness and "WHAT DO?!".

(As an aside, I was kind of surprised to see that Sojourner didn't have diplomacy, given his background and having moved between two tribes/nations.)

Meteor is scared spitless of the idea of command responsibility for a bunch of civilians and has been ducking it whenever she could (she even said out loud at one point that she had been trying to avoid taking charge and giving direction). When she called out what certainly sounded like orders before the beginning of the Manticore/etc fight, they were tempered by leading with the phrase "I suggest..." and as part of her suggestion she put Bookend in charge of the ground fight and immediately turned it back around and asked for his approval of her suggestions. If anybody followed that, she's KIND OF trying to elect him. At the same time, she does see herself as surrounded by a bunch of civilians with no idea how to deal with what (to her) is clearly a military crisis (she barely has an idea herself, and is falling back on her protocol of scouting for information while denying the enemy any, thus her repeated insistence that none of the enemy are allowed to escape and warn others). So, on the one hand, she really, really doesn't feel competent to take charge, and on the other hand she feels like she's the one who knows what needs doing in military matters and her (*COUGH* STRONGLY STATED) opinion should damned well be respected. She is somewhat bad at keeping her mouth shut around people who (clearly) aren't in her chain of command, and Charcoal was freaking her out even BEFORE he started doing things which (in her view) threaten the rest of them (as well as their mission).

So there's a good chance there will be some changes in her demeanour as things progress.

Theoboldi
2013-11-20, 10:14 AM
Charcoal was freaking her out even BEFORE he started doing things which (in her view) threaten the rest of them (as well as their mission).

Can I put this on a plaque? Because 'unsettling' is something I've been going for with him for some time now, and I'm happy that between the influence of vestiges, the mood-swinging and the moral absolutism it's working out at least somewhat.

MandibleBones
2013-11-20, 03:27 PM

As promised, I am working on it. Check your PMs.