PDA

View Full Version : Red Hoof of Doom OOC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

Shunka Warakin
2014-01-27, 01:23 PM
Humor, Meteor is bad at it.

Apparently by not posting that day I set us back a few days since Bones was waiting on me (and I am guessing is now busy with life). My apologies, folks. :(

People have any thoughts on the new season? I was disappointed with the Discord episode because there was an opportunity there for the moral to talk about trusting rather than testing your friends, but noooooo...

They really need to stop using him in the constant 'I'm your friend! *tweaktweaktweak*' role and either have a talk with him about how friendship is a two-way street or have him actually do something apologetically and unselfishly beneficial for the ponies one episode (while everyone tries to figure out what the scam is).

Anything other than keeping him in his current ridiculous position.

Rendel Nep
2014-01-27, 08:31 PM
Discord is just being a Q for kids or that's how they seem to be writing him.

Theoboldi
2014-01-29, 12:11 PM
I loved the new season so far. Not a single episode I really disliked, even if I had some small nitpicks with them. Discord's role is not one of them, however. Him completly abusing the diplomatic immunity his friendship with Fluttershy gives him is fits his character exactly. I assume there will be some development closer to the end of this season, or maybe in the next one, with him actually becoming nicer, but I actually am glad that he still is an absolute bastard at this point. Otherwise it would just feel somewhat rushed to me. (Heck, we waited for three seasons before Fluttershy got an episode that developed her to be more assertive. Poor Discord's only had four episodes.)

Anyway. I liked the rest of the season. Just enough silly with some well to decently executed stories. Though Pinkie is getting somewhat annoying at times. Oh well.

Shunka Warakin
2014-01-29, 04:37 PM
Discord's role is not one of them, however. Him completly abusing the diplomatic immunity his friendship with Fluttershy gives him is fits his character exactly.

Yah, my issue isn't with Discord's behavior...It's with everyone overlooking/forgiving it and the producers bypassing the opportunity to say something that is (IMHO) pretty important about false friends or abusive friends.

Because his recent behavior ("How do I know you're my friend if you won't drop everything and revolve your world around meeeeee?") definitely qualifies.

Theoboldi
2014-01-30, 03:10 AM
Yah, my issue isn't with Discord's behavior...It's with everyone overlooking/forgiving it and the producers bypassing the opportunity to say something that is (IMHO) pretty important about false friends or abusive friends.

Because his recent behavior ("How do I know you're my friend if you won't drop everything and revolve your world around meeeeee?") definitely qualifies.

I see your point, though last episode would really not have been a good point to give that lesson. For that, an episode where both Discord and Fluttershy feature as the main focus would be needed. They'd have wasted a lot of potential by just having Fluttershy show up near the end and then having her chastice Discord. It would have felt very much tacked on.

Shunka Warakin
2014-01-30, 01:52 PM
I see your point, though last episode would really not have been a good point to give that lesson. For that, an episode where both Discord and Fluttershy feature as the main focus would be needed. They'd have wasted a lot of potential by just having Fluttershy show up near the end and then having her chastice Discord. It would have felt very much tacked on.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head, it wouldn't have worked well with the way the episode resolved at all.

And I would PAY to see the episode you're describing. The only problem I see is that Shy HAS put him in his place before about 'things friends don't do to each other.' They'd definitely have to notch the confrontation up considerably, but I still really don't like the fact that in a series where 'Friendship' is a real, and even empowering, thing, Discord can act the way he does without being called out on it being unacceptable. Ah well.

Anyone heard from Bones recently? *worrying*

MandibleBones
2014-01-30, 03:41 PM
And then came the knowledge that I have both bitten off more than I can chew this semester and been a terrible DM by disappearing without warning. Fear not. I remain here, and will never abandon this game that I love.

Going to go read through and make an update now.

Edit: Posted. And Shunka, not your fault that I took so long to post. I should have made the time.

As a note, I have seen none of this season except for the premier two-parter, and while I don't mind spoilers at all, just be wary of acting on any of that information as if it's canon to this game yet.

Theoboldi
2014-01-30, 03:43 PM
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head, it wouldn't have worked well with the way the episode resolved at all.

And I would PAY to see the episode you're describing. The only problem I see is that Shy HAS put him in his place before about 'things friends don't do to each other.' They'd definitely have to notch the confrontation up considerably, but I still really don't like the fact that in a series where 'Friendship' is a real, and even empowering, thing, Discord can act the way he does without being called out on it being unacceptable. Ah well.

Anyone heard from Bones recently? *worrying*

If it worth anything to you, I am pretty sure that they'll have an episode like this at some point down the line. If not this season then it will surely be in the next.

As for Mandibles, I have no idea what he is doing. I suppose he's simply busy with work, judging from his most recent posts and how things have usually been.

Edit: Dear goodness. I've been ninja'd by the DM.

MandibleBones
2014-01-30, 03:51 PM
Edit: Dear goodness. I've been ninja'd by the DM.

A once-in-a-game opportunity, I'm sure.

And busy with school, actually —*going back to get a second bachelor's in convergent journalism, working on the newspaper, worrying about finances... the usual.

Theoboldi
2014-01-30, 03:58 PM
And busy with school, actually —*going back to get a second bachelor's in convergent journalism, working on the newspaper, worrying about finances... the usual.

Eh, close enough. I'm gonna write that down as a success for my guessing abilities.

MandibleBones
2014-01-30, 04:03 PM
Eh, close enough. I'm gonna write that down as a success for my guessing abilities.

You do that!

Shunka Warakin
2014-01-30, 04:57 PM
A once-in-a-game opportunity, I'm sure.

Congratulations! Good luck with your schooling, and yeah, that totally takes precedence over gaming. :)

Hang on, she's interested in the gauntlet? Is she the same sort of 'giant skeleton' that was lying around the courtyard?

MandibleBones
2014-01-30, 05:48 PM
Her skeleton could easily be the same as the ones in the courtyard, yes. I mean, it was a little confusing, because she has tusks and the skeletons in the courtyard didn't, and she has two eyes where it looks like the skulls have one big one, but yeah, this could easily be the same kind of giant.

Shunka Warakin
2014-01-31, 12:28 AM
Her skeleton could easily be the same as the ones in the courtyard, yes. I mean, it was a little confusing, because she has tusks and the skeletons in the courtyard didn't, and she has two eyes where it looks like the skulls have one big one, but yeah, this could easily be the same kind of giant.

Lack of tusks could be explained by trophy-taking, perhaps...But I have a feeling that linking cyclops to two-eyed giants is probably a stretch. Eh, we'll see where this goes, I imagine.

radmelon
2014-01-31, 12:31 AM
Have you ever seen an elephant skull? They look cyclopean despite elephants obviously having two eyes. What looks like an eye socket is actually the sinuses or something.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Elephant_skull_at_Serengeti_National_Park.jpg

Shunka Warakin
2014-01-31, 01:34 AM
No, I hadn't...and that's amazing.

I don't think Meteor would make that connection, though.

She can be cunning about things which have to do with information, woodscraft, or warfare...as an officer and a scout, she has significantly more training than an average soldier, as well as a reasonable amount of veteran experience...but in general problem-solving, she's just a fraction above average in the smarts department, and perhaps a fraction below average in the common sense department.

She could likely be characterized by her superiors as 'reliable'...and this is a useful quality in a soldier but can be interpreted as 'predictable' and makes a dangerous flaw in a warrior.

I probably wouldn't have had her suggest Cordon cook something if Cordon hadn't said something about forgetting nuts out loud. That's a pretty lateral approach for her.

I imagine her late-night spice delivery to Cordon's restaurant resulted in a meal that probably wasn't much effort for him...But given her low pay grade and accompanying lack of experience with haute cuisine was almost certainly a mind-blowing event for her. So I'm comfortable with her putting two and two together and realizing that Cordon's cooking could cause even a strange creature like this to react quite favorably.

I have a list of things Meteor is probably fairly clever about due to her experience, and diplomacy isn't on it. (Although by now that is probably blatantly apparent!)

Noctemwolf
2014-01-31, 03:38 AM
Don't forget, Radmelon, I cast Comprehend Language on Dusty... he can understand the elephant ^^

radmelon
2014-01-31, 01:25 PM
I know that, but he's the only one. So I'm repeating everything she says so that perhaps a more eloquent pony can help with the negotiations. This is going to be hard without a way of communicating back easily.

MandibleBones
2014-01-31, 01:51 PM
Have you ever seen an elephant skull? They look cyclopean despite elephants obviously having two eyes. What looks like an eye socket is actually the sinuses or something.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Elephant_skull_at_Serengeti_National_Park.jpg

Yep. That's where I was going. There's some thought (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclops#Origins) that the myth of the cyclops was spawned by finding dwarf elephant skulls in the first place, which I thought seemed appropriate to this campaign (and trying to deal with the pile of giant skeletons in Vraath Keep).

Theoboldi
2014-02-02, 04:32 PM
Does anyone have any problems with Charcoal handing (hooving?) over the gauntlet? Otherwise I think I could just edit my post to include him floating it over to the giantess, if no one wants to write a post that basically amounts to 'X hands over the gauntlet'. (I don't think we ever determined who exactly was carrying it around, did we?)

Noctemwolf
2014-02-02, 05:30 PM
Does anyone have any problems with Charcoal handing (hooving?) over the gauntlet? Otherwise I think I could just edit my post to include him floating it over to the giantess, if no one wants to write a post that basically amounts to 'X hands over the gauntlet'. (I don't think we ever determined who exactly was carrying it around, did we?)

I don't mind at all.

and actually, I had a question.

Sojourner's a scholar by trade, and supposedly extremely smart. So I was wondering if he might be able to make a relevant check (or even perhaps a simple intelligence check), and using Dusty's translation of the words to perhaps understand enough of the Giant's language to speak with her in basic, broken giant?

It was a random idea that came across my head last night, so I thought I'd shoot it out for consideration.

Theoboldi
2014-02-02, 07:50 PM
Well, I've edited it. If anyone is bothered, I'll return things to how they were ASAP.

MandibleBones
2014-02-03, 04:50 PM
I don't mind at all.

and actually, I had a question.

Sojourner's a scholar by trade, and supposedly extremely smart. So I was wondering if he might be able to make a relevant check (or even perhaps a simple intelligence check), and using Dusty's translation of the words to perhaps understand enough of the Giant's language to speak with her in basic, broken giant?

It was a random idea that came across my head last night, so I thought I'd shoot it out for consideration.

I'll allow it. Give me a roll in the OOC, and then send me what you're trying to say via PM :-)

Noctemwolf
2014-02-06, 08:30 PM
I'll allow it. Give me a roll in the OOC, and then send me what you're trying to say via PM :-)

Alright... so, assuming just an intelligence roll?

[roll0] +5 [24]

oooh, me likey =3

Noctemwolf
2014-02-09, 03:29 PM
Double post I apologize.

I also apologize for post lacking. I'm getting home from my Air Force reserve weekend tonight and I will post up then.

MandibleBones
2014-02-10, 02:13 PM
I am sick, but will collect my thoughts and post sometime today anyway.

Noctemwolf — what AFSC? I'm an Air Force veteran myself.

Noctemwolf
2014-02-11, 10:37 PM
I am sick, but will collect my thoughts and post sometime today anyway.

Noctemwolf — what AFSC? I'm an Air Force veteran myself.

2A5X3- Avionics. =3 It's an interesting thing to be, most certainly.

Also, Sojourner is about to be VERY disheartened. Everyone thinks he actually managed to communicate, but he failed miserably according to the Giant. XD well, it was worth a shot I guess. Too bad I didn't have two comprehend langu-

*checks sheet*

- never mind, I thought I might have a had a scroll of it somewhere XD crap.

MandibleBones
2014-02-12, 11:49 AM
In fairness, she got that you were trying to talk instead of attack, which was what you were trying to communicate.

I was 3N0X1 / Public Affairs, incidentally.

Noctemwolf
2014-02-15, 06:41 AM
In fairness, she got that you were trying to talk instead of attack, which was what you were trying to communicate.

I was 3N0X1 / Public Affairs, incidentally.

That's good at least 0-0

I will post up tomorrow. AKA later today.

Shunka Warakin
2014-02-17, 04:41 PM
Sorry folks. I'll have something up this evening.

Noctemwolf
2014-02-17, 05:38 PM
Sorry folks. I'll have something up this evening.

Slow and Steady wins the race. :smalltongue:

Shunka Warakin
2014-02-18, 05:10 PM
Slow and Steady wins the race. :smalltongue:

Awake and alert posts better than exhausted and passed out anyway.

MandibleBones
2014-02-20, 01:03 PM
I certainly agree. Updating the IC now, if this network cooperates.

Theoboldi
2014-02-20, 01:33 PM
Her name's Meteor, not Shunka. Just thought you may wanna edit that.

Anyway, next post will be when the giantess' words have been translated.

MandibleBones
2014-02-20, 07:12 PM
Her name's Meteor, not Shunka. Just thought you may wanna edit that.

Eeyup. Thanks!

Shunka Warakin
2014-02-21, 12:02 AM
Oh boo, I mixed up who was playing giantess interpreter. Sorry Rad. I guess Meteor was just distracted by having a two-ton critter waving a spiked cestus around on its trunk.

radmelon
2014-02-21, 02:57 AM
Apology entirely accepted. I know that'd distract me.

Noctemwolf
2014-02-24, 01:40 AM
I shall post up tomorrow.

MandibleBones
2014-02-25, 07:47 PM
IC updated, however shortly.

... one of these days, I will have a weekend where I am not busy. But it is not this day.

Shunka Warakin
2014-02-26, 05:09 PM
IC updated, however shortly.

... one of these days, I will have a weekend where I am not busy. But it is not this day.

Yesterday was your weekend?

On an unrelated note, I am mildly amused at the prevalence of strongly-accented griffons in MLP fanon. Gilda had no discernable European accent, just a Germanic name. Then there's the French (heavily accented) pelican griffon chef from Mmmystery on the Friendship Express, and a set of griffons at the Equestria Games who were unnamed and had no speaking roles that I recall. Still, the fanon seems to lean hard on the 'European, heavy accent' motif.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/4db3fdb1dc279067aeb4a6010bb955bc/tumblr_n1dipvimci1s2ew2jo1_1280.png (http://ask-prof-smirk.tumblr.com/post/77432598185/mod-notes-this-is-only-half-of-the-update-i-had)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/bd48e1ac0b597a096462354f13ec3840/tumblr_n1fhr1aI6j1s2ew2jo1_1280.png (http://ask-prof-smirk.tumblr.com)
Which, despite it being purely fanon (we have seen more varied accents among ponies than griffons), makes me feel ridiculously comfortable with casting the Southern Gryphon tribes as Russ/Kazakh and continuing to fiddle up Meteor's outWAYjous acSONT.

We haven't heard from Bookend in a bit. Hopefully he's doing well.

Theoboldi
2014-02-26, 05:19 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/4db3fdb1dc279067aeb4a6010bb955bc/tumblr_n1dipvimci1s2ew2jo1_1280.png (http://ask-prof-smirk.tumblr.com/post/77432598185/mod-notes-this-is-only-half-of-the-update-i-had)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/bd48e1ac0b597a096462354f13ec3840/tumblr_n1fhr1aI6j1s2ew2jo1_1280.png (http://ask-prof-smirk.tumblr.com)

I always find it weird how every german accent I see seems to include using 'der' as often as possible. Even when referring to female nouns. 'Der Princess', indeed. :smalltongue:

We haven't heard from Bookend in a bit. Hopefully he's doing well.

I'm hoping for that too, though I'm not too worried. He's always been pretty silent, fittingly enough.

That said, I must point out that Charcoal may want to make a snide response to Meteor at this point, since he does have a grievance with her mistrust. That's just some loud thinking of what might happen IC on my part, though.

Shunka Warakin
2014-02-26, 05:28 PM
I always find it weird how every german accent I see seems to include using 'der' as often as possible. Even when referring to female nouns. 'Der Princess', indeed. :smalltongue:

Well, yes, people who haven't studied the language aren't going to to keep track of der/das/die, particularly English-speakers who aren't used to having gendered declarative articles. It's Hollywood German. I am confining Meteor's "Russ" to how I've heard a Ukrainian speak English...Mostly voicing shifts of stops (t/d, k/g) and some fricatives (f/v, s/z). I could almost write a 'Meteor-speak' converter that just flipped those pairs automatically, except there are times I 'correct' away from Meteor-standard-speak in order to make things a little more readable (for instance, in her last post, I render little as liddle but not better as bedder, because 'liddle' is clearly non-English spelling but 'bedder' gives us pause since it seems almost grammatically correct).

I'm hoping for that too, though I'm not too worried. He's always been pretty silent, fittingly enough.

True, and we've all been posting a bit more slowly this past month.

That said, I must point out that Charcoal may want to make a snide response to Meteor at this point, since he does have a grievance with her mistrust. That's just some loud thinking of what might happen IC on my part, though.

Oh, he's welcome to do so, but she's moving away. And do you mean her mistrust of Charcoal or her mistrust of Warkle? Because the latter isn't really mistrust-of-giant-elephant so much as reflex. If a pony who Meteor couldn't communicate with and who she had yet to decide was friendly suddenly began waving a large weapon around for no discernable reason, Meteor would still step in front of any smaller or less-trained (her estimation) ponies.

Or both, in Charcoal's case. ;)

Theoboldi
2014-02-26, 05:38 PM
Well, yes, people who haven't studied the language aren't going to to keep track of der/das/die, particularly English-speakers who aren't used to having gendered declarative articles. It's Hollywood German.

Which is why it inevitably ends up sounding somewhat akward to actual germans. Though in my case I personally always find it silly when people throw in foreign words every few seconds to make something sound accented. Especially since the words more often that not end up being used wrongly.

Oh, he's welcome to do so, but she's moving away. And do you mean her mistrust of Charcoal or her mistrust of Warkle? Because the latter isn't really mistrust-of-giant-elephant so much as reflex. If a pony who Meteor couldn't communicate with and who she had yet to decide was friendly suddenly began waving a large weapon around for no discernable reason, Meteor would still step in front of any smaller or less-trained (her estimation) ponies.

Or both, in Charcoal's case. ;)

Actually, in his case it's both as well. :smalltongue:
It's the same attitude that irritated him during the discussion about warning the griffons, and back when she didn't listen to him about Tirek's shadow. (At least that's what it seems like to him.) Her caution in this case is more than reasonable, but he is disliking a trend that he thinks he sees emerging.

Shunka Warakin
2014-02-26, 05:50 PM
Though in my case I personally always find it silly when people throw in foreign words every few seconds to make something sound accented. Especially since the words more often that not end up being used wrongly.

Yeah, it's tricky. Translanguaging is tricky enough in reality, unless you've grown up multilingual. (If I hadn't decided to teach history I'd probably have been a linguist...Communication fascinates me.)

Her caution in this case is more than reasonable, but he is disliking a trend that he thinks he sees emerging.

And it suits his preconceptions of her better than noticing that she didn't draw a weapon and instead waited to see if it was violence or posturing.

Theoboldi
2014-02-26, 05:55 PM
And it suits his preconceptions of her better than noticing that she didn't draw a weapon and instead waited to see if it was violence or posturing.

Actually, he is going to ackowledge that. Though probably not enough for it to change his opinion of her. And he is unlikely to actually mention that he acknowledges it. :smalltongue:
Anyway, I'll be writing that post tomorrow. Right now I'm tired.

Nihilarian
2014-02-26, 06:30 PM
Since it seems you guys were wondering, I'm still alive. To be honest I thought the game had died so I haven't checked the OOC or IC forums in a while (since this is one of two games I was in at the time, and the other also seemed to die). I have no idea what's happened for the past couple of months or so. I think the last I was around we'd gotten a map and left the keep?

Rendel Nep
2014-02-26, 07:58 PM
We found an elephant (giant) and no one can speak her language and Charcoal is being increasingly rude to Cordon.

Shunka Warakin
2014-02-27, 02:03 PM
Meteor sneaks in with a red pencil, then sneaks out again.

We found an elephant (giant) and no one can speak her language and Charcoal is being increasingly rude to Cordon.

Theoboldi
2014-02-27, 02:26 PM
Meteor sneaks in with a red pencil, then sneaks out again.

There's something to be said about ponies in glasshouses. :smalltongue:

On a side note, I really need to make sure that I am satisfied with my posts before I post them. I always end up correcting minor problems in the flow of the dialogue every hour over the next few days. :smalleek:

Shunka Warakin
2014-02-27, 06:37 PM
On a side note, I really need to make sure that I am satisfied with my posts before I post them. I always end up correcting minor problems in the flow of the dialogue every hour over the next few days. :smalleek:

Yeah, that's a thing. Every so often I am sorely tempted to go back and rewrite my posts. I am especially tempted when people seem to take a post in a tone I didn't mean it, I.E., assuming that Meteor was shouting/etc. when I didn't say it, but also didn't specify that she wasn't. Generally, the more upset Meteor is, the flatter she gets in her speech. She gets intense, curt, sharp, not loud, and that's particularly deliberate in front of allies/the enemy. Yelling is a bad habit to have in such cases. So any audible 'squabbling' at this moment...Yeah, that's going to be one-sided.

And honestly, in regards to rewriting/flow of dialogue, I am not always sure with Charcoal if you mean him to sound disjointed/psycho or if it's a mistake.

For example:
I think it would be a pretty stupid idea to rely on the help of somepony who even I was able to take down with only one attack.

This confuses the heck out of me-the-player here (which means Meteor, who couldn't grasp sublety if you welded handles to it, is lost). Did Charcoal one-shot smack down someone else in the party and I just missed it? I'll skip the conflation of reliableness and raw attack power, I'm more concerned with what the heck/who the heck Charcoal is talking in the past tense about taking down.

And since Meteor had no intention of responding to him well before he opened his mouth, she's not about to ask for clarification on what she probably interprets as more weird warlock babbling.

Theoboldi
2014-02-27, 07:22 PM
This confuses the heck out of me-the-player here (which means Meteor, who couldn't grasp sublety if you welded handles to it, is lost). Did Charcoal one-shot smack down someone else in the party and I just missed it? I'll skip the conflation of reliableness and raw attack power, I'm more concerned with what the heck/who the heck Charcoal is talking in the past tense about taking down.

And since Meteor had no intention of responding to him well before he opened his mouth, she's not about to ask for clarification on what she probably interprets as more weird warlock babbling.

Actually, he is referring to what he did after Meteor killed that prisoner, the incident where he stunned pretty much all of the party. It's not really a knockout, bu tbeing taken out of the picture that easily, even if it was only for a few seconds. And he is exagerating for dramatic effect after she made something that could easily be considered a threat.
That aside, I thought it was pretty obvious he was talking about that, since it's the only time he's shown signs of actual violence against her and you called it out so often as a defining point for her view of him.

That said, I am posting from my phone right now, so excuse me if my answer seems somewhat shortrt. I'll take a look at what you posted in the IC tomorrow.

Also, does anyone else think that Charcoal's speech is disjointed? I'm beginning to worry that I might have screwed up his character completly at this point, beyond anything I actually tried to represent. You see, there' a lot of things I was going for with his character. Angry. Confused. Desperate. But underneath it all, I thought his actions and thoughts are at least somewhat understandable and even relateable, even if he is making mistakes. I honestly thought that he was acting at least like person, albeit not a rational one at all times. But with you calling him psychotic OOC, Im really beginning to worry. Not just about him as a character, but also me as a person.

Shunka Warakin
2014-02-28, 12:36 AM
Actually, he is referring to what he did after Meteor killed that prisoner, the incident where he stunned pretty much all of the party. It's not really a knockout, bu tbeing taken out of the picture that easily, even if it was only for a few seconds. And he is exagerating for dramatic effect after she made something that could easily be considered a threat.
That aside, I thought it was pretty obvious he was talking about that, since it's the only time he's shown signs of actual violence against her and you called it out so often as a defining point for her view of him.

Ah, see, I do not equate 'momentarily stunned' with 'taken down', which is the phrase Charcoal used. That'd be short for 'taken out of combat' not 'briefly interrupted'. And you can make the argument that it's a small step from A to B, but the phrasing makes it sound to me as if he feels he took that step and defeated somebody.

That said, I am posting from my phone right now, so excuse me if my answer seems somewhat shortrt. I'll take a look at what you posted in the IC tomorrow.

No worries. :)

Also, does anyone else think that Charcoal's speech is disjointed? I'm beginning to worry that I might have screwed up his character completly at this point, beyond anything I actually tried to represent. You see, there' a lot of things I was going for with his character. Angry. Confused. Desperate. But underneath it all, I thought his actions and thoughts are at least somewhat understandable and even relateable, even if he is making mistakes. I honestly thought that he was acting at least like person, albeit not a rational one at all times. But with you calling him psychotic OOC, Im really beginning to worry. Not just about him as a character, but also me as a person.

There are times when (to me at least) the needle seems to skip in the groove a bit, and he makes sudden leaps/transitions between things that strike me as disjointed. And he IS acting like a person. If he were ONLY babbling all the time and making no sense whatsoever there'd be no question of his sanity. There are just occasional moments when (I thought) you were deliberately having him shift conversational topics without any preamble, and which I interpreted as deliberate roleplaying of short-attention-span-theatre. Please excuse me, I didn't mean anything negative by it, I thought you were deliberately playing him in (if you will excuse me using a general term) the party dangerous psycho role. vide the internal conversations he has with himself about losing his temper. That suits just fine the angry/confused as you were saying you intended. Also 'psycho' does not directly map onto the medical/clinical term 'psychotic.' I was using it in the more generic slang meaning of 'behaving unpredictably confrontational and aggressive and violently angry as a means of establishing space/presence through intimidation' (which most real psychotics don't do).

Theoboldi
2014-02-28, 10:12 AM
Ah, see, I do not equate 'momentarily stunned' with 'taken down', which is the phrase Charcoal used. That'd be short for 'taken out of combat' not 'briefly interrupted'. And you can make the argument that it's a small step from A to B, but the phrasing makes it sound to me as if he feels he took that step and defeated somebody.

I knew it was a bit of a stretch when I wrote it, you don't have to remind me. ^.^
That said, it's just a small bit of boasting on his part. I may possible change it to something along the lines of 'if you really think I'm too weak to defend myself, then why are you even carrying me along?' (or something else, I'm not sure yet) if it bugs you that much.

There are times when (to me at least) the needle seems to skip in the groove a bit, and he makes sudden leaps/transitions between things that strike me as disjointed. And he IS acting like a person. If he were ONLY babbling all the time and making no sense whatsoever there'd be no question of his sanity. There are just occasional moments when (I thought) you were deliberately having him shift conversational topics without any preamble, and which I interpreted as deliberate roleplaying of short-attention-span-theatre. Please excuse me, I didn't mean anything negative by it, I thought you were deliberately playing him in (if you will excuse me using a general term) the party dangerous psycho role. vide the internal conversations he has with himself about losing his temper. That suits just fine the angry/confused as you were saying you intended. Also 'psycho' does not directly map onto the medical/clinical term 'psychotic.' I was using it in the more generic slang meaning of 'behaving unpredictably confrontational and aggressive and violently angry as a means of establishing space/presence through intimidation' (which most real psychotics don't do).

To be entirely honest, I still don't quite see it. Maybe he does change topics a bit abprubtly, but even so, the most I tried to imply with that was that he tends to be somewhat overly active and hectic. That said, I'd describe him as a character as emotional, maybe even hot-blooded, but not just aggressive. To use a comparison, he's the (quite a lot more active and direct) McCoy to Meteor's Spock. He is somewhat psychotic in combat, if that's what you're thinking about, but I think it fits him seeing fighting the goblins as a righteous battle for good. That, and I like my mages somewhat insane during combat. :smalltongue:

That all aside, I would like to note that you do have a strange ability to make people feel bad about their RP capabilities. I'm starting to think that I'm doing everything wrong. :smalleek:

Shunka Warakin
2014-02-28, 05:38 PM
That all aside, I would like to note that you do have a strange ability to make people feel bad about their RP capabilities. I'm starting to think that I'm doing everything wrong. :smalleek:

Crap. Dude, that is entirely not what I was trying to do. I thought you were intentionally playing him up...Agh. Argh. I'm sorry.

Theoboldi
2014-02-28, 06:28 PM
Crap. Dude, that is entirely not what I was trying to do. I thought you were intentionally playing him up...Agh. Argh. I'm sorry.

Don't worry. I tend to get overly worried about these things all the time. At least we've got that sorted out now. :smallwink:

Noctemwolf
2014-02-28, 06:58 PM
If it's any help, I always think of this when I see the two of you begin talking in the ooc...

http://dumbadmin.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/energizer-bunny.jpg

I only mean to be silly :smalltongue:

Nihilarian
2014-02-28, 09:44 PM
As a player, I saw you bristle at the implication that you were too weak to defend yourself, privately acknowledge that Meteor's actions had "not been entirely senseless", after which you insulted her trustworthiness. Bookend did not see the acknowledgement, so Charcoal's coming off as a bit of a tool at the moment.

However, I think this particular squabble might have started due to a misunderstanding. To me it seems like Shunka responded to
"What do you think she is doing? We've gotten ourselves a new friend!"as though it read

"What do you think you're doing? We've gotten ourselves a new friend!"and took it as Charcoal complaining about Meteor's actions rather than Charcoal being sarcastic. I could be wrong though.

One more thing: what do you mean by a "Shadow"? I must have missed or forgotten it.

Noctemwolf
2014-03-01, 01:19 AM
I also need to add- did Sojourner ever send the animal messenger about the bridge? If not, than we have another thing to handle before the group continues to move.

Theoboldi
2014-03-01, 08:53 AM
If it's any help, I always think of this when I see the two of you begin talking in the ooc...

http://dumbadmin.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/energizer-bunny.jpg

I only mean to be silly :smalltongue:

The only thing about this post that makes me angry is the fact that you've chosen such a tacky bunny to represent us.

As a player, I saw you bristle at the implication that you were too weak to defend yourself, privately acknowledge that Meteor's actions had "not been entirely senseless", after which you insulted her trustworthiness. Bookend did not see the acknowledgement, so Charcoal's coming off as a bit of a tool at the moment.

Probably a bit, yeah. Then again, he did only complain about her when she went on about him becoming a red smear on the ground without her aid, after which I think defending his abilities and questioning her loyality (considering the general tone of her words) is a somewhat understandable course of action, though not one that would help diffuse the situation or is really all that reasonable. But either way, it's an entirely valid opinion of him.

However, I think this particular squabble might have started due to a misunderstanding. To me it seems like Shunka responded to as though it read
and took it as Charcoal complaining about Meteor's actions rather than Charcoal being sarcastic. I could be wrong though.

Charcoal meant that in an actually completly innocent 'Isn't it obvious?' kind of way. I could see why one would take it that way, though he'd have done that exact same thing even if he actually liked Meteor.

One more thing: what do you mean by a "Shadow"? I must have missed or forgotten it.
He's actually talking about the Shadow of Tirek, which Meteor did not believe Charcoal about and needed Sojourner to convince her that it was real.

I also need to add- did Sojourner ever send the animal messenger about the bridge? If not, than we have another thing to handle before the group continues to move.

Didn't Charcoal already send that bird? It's the entire reason he's still got Malphas bound. Or did we want to send a second bird?

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-03, 05:01 AM
Guys I have been busy as hell with catastrophic RL interference, very sorry! I will try to get a post up tomorrow.

However, I think this particular squabble might have started due to a misunderstanding. To me it seems like Shunka responded to as though it read and took it as Charcoal complaining about Meteor's actions rather than Charcoal being sarcastic. I could be wrong though.

Waaaaagh. I did exactly that thing. I misread it somehow as a player. Well, at this point I guess Meteor is tense enough to've misheard it as a character.

Don't worry. I tend to get overly worried about these things all the time. At least we've got that sorted out now. :smallwink:

Okay, I'm glad, I really had no intention in any way of offending you.

Probably a bit, yeah. Then again, he did only complain about her when she went on about him becoming a red smear on the ground without her aid, after which I think defending his abilities and questioning her loyality (considering the general tone of her words) is a somewhat understandable course of action, though not one that would help diffuse the situation or is really all that reasonable. But either way, it's an entirely valid opinion of him.

Meteor's recollection of the only fight she's seen Charcoal in was that Charcoal damned near got killed in the opening moments. But besides all that, stepping in front of anyone less armored than she is...Well, that's just a thing she does, and despite her comment to him it's doubtful either that she'd be able to break the reflex OR justify to herself letting even a highly-problematic asset like Charcoal die due to her own inaction.

If he gets himself killed by being a hot-headed little demon-ridden foal, that's his lookout. If he dies due to something she could prevent...Well, no, she wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Didn't Charcoal already send that bird? It's the entire reason he's still got Malphas bound. Or did we want to send a second bird?

Meteor suggested sending both, due to the folk at Drellin's Ferry stating that they couldn't get a bird out, and because of her own personal experience with intercepted messengers.

MandibleBones
2014-03-03, 04:05 PM
Okay! Back from the Funeral Weekend of Doom™. As soon as this internet stops being slow, I will send Shunka a PM with Meteor's scouting results, and then we can get back on the road officially (trying very hard not to forget this time) either tonight or tomorrow.

Edit: And that is based on the assumption that you are moving on, which I would have seen is not necessarily the case, if the IC page had fully loaded before I replied here. Shunka, did you want the Meteor update?

Glad to see everyone is okay, and as usual, my apologies for real life being stupidly busy this semester. Had I realized it was going to be this bad, I would have taken fewer courses.

Edit 2: Yes, Charcoal already sent the bird, and it'll get to Bridle shortly (at which time I'll have some information for Charcoal through the eyes of the bird). If you want to send a second one, that's cool too!

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-03, 08:59 PM
Aaand posted.

FWIW I think it's likely that Meteor and Bookend will conclude most of their discussion via PM, then probably post that as a spoiler for anyone interested. Which means the party might be moving on soon in any case, depending on others' plans.

And now I'm going to try to get 3 hours of sleep to keep my head straight while being up all night working. Again.

Theoboldi
2014-03-03, 09:08 PM
Shunka, I suppose telling you at this point would be somewhat mean-spirited, but Charcoal only was yelling while talking to Bookend. Should probably have made that a bit more clear. This is 'bitter' Charcoal, not 'angry' Charcoal. I thought it may possibly have a difference on what she thinks, though I only really expect it to change one or two sentences in this specific post at most. Though you should probably get some sleep first. :smalltongue:

That said, the fact that she continues to just straight up ignore him is really starting to give some nice ideas for how his character is going to develop, and what actions he might take. Especially once he starts binding Naberius and other ego-increasing vestiges. :smallbiggrin:

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-04, 03:32 AM
Shunka, I suppose telling you at this point would be somewhat mean-spirited, but Charcoal only was yelling while talking to Bookend. Should probably have made that a bit more clear.

Ah, nah, she's keeping her ears forward because she's had practice with sergeants shouting in her face, not because Charcoal is or isn't shouting. She's just playing the 'I am not reacting.' card.

That said, the fact that she continues to just straight up ignore him is really starting to give some nice ideas for how his character is going to develop, and what actions he might take. Especially once he starts binding Naberius and other ego-increasing vestiges. :smallbiggrin:

Oh come now, she doesn't always ignore him! Why, there was a point in the Keep courtyard where they were almost courteous to each other for a few seconds.

Theoboldi
2014-03-04, 12:51 PM
Oh come now, she doesn't always ignore him! Why, there was a point in the Keep courtyard where they were almost courteous to each other for a few seconds.

I'm still hoping that Sojourner tells Charcoal he doesn't love him back during the time that Meteor is away, and that she then will try to strike a truce with him after talking with bookend, in the process accidentally activating Malpha's influence. But that's just me. :smalltongue:

Nihilarian
2014-03-04, 05:58 PM
I'm still hoping that Sojourner tells Charcoal he doesn't love him back during the time that Meteor is away, and that she then will try to strike a truce with him after talking with bookend, in the process accidentally activating Malpha's influence. But that's just me. :smalltongue:I'm workin' on it, I'm working' on it.

You rush a miracle worker you get lousy miracles. :smalltongue:

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-04, 09:48 PM
Just a quick question:

Does nobody else see the graveyard humor of 'If you complain when people try to save you, you'd better not complain if they don't and you die.'?

I really was trying for 'grimly bitter smartass' there... <_< Both in the 'You're probably going to bitch whatever I do.' and in the 'If you die, I don't want you to come complaining to me about it.' aspects.

Theoboldi
2014-03-04, 10:03 PM
I liked it, at any rate. Fit her pretty well, and how you described it is also basically how I understood it. Which is why Charcoal's immediate answer was basically boasting that he doesn't need her.

Noctemwolf
2014-03-05, 01:57 AM
I'm still hoping that Sojourner tells Charcoal he doesn't love him back during the time that Meteor is away, and that she then will try to strike a truce with him after talking with bookend, in the process accidentally activating Malpha's influence. But that's just me. :smalltongue:

We'll hafta see. So long as Charcoal keeps it subtle (Well, not over the top) Sojourner probably isn't going to say much. He may be uncomfortable, but he's more the type to just let it lie.

radmelon
2014-03-05, 02:27 AM
You two make an adorable couple. Also, charcoal and meteor, but that'd require more angry sex than is feasible in the middle of a goblin invasion. :smalltongue:

Theoboldi
2014-03-05, 07:15 AM
You two make an adorable couple. Also, charcoal and meteor, but that'd require more angry sex than is feasible in the middle of a goblin invasion. :smalltongue:

Ah, the sign that your OC is successful. People starting to ship him.

I prefer Metecoal. :smalltongue:

We'll hafta see. So long as Charcoal keeps it subtle (Well, not over the top) Sojourner probably isn't going to say much. He may be uncomfortable, but he's more the type to just let it lie.

I'm beginning to wonder just how far he will have to go before Sojourner gets it. At this rate, he'll only get the hint if Charcoal gets down on his knees and proposes to him.

By the way, with this.....

There's no way what he said was true... Twilight Sparkle?
is Sojourner questioning whether Charcoal really is a student of Celestia or whether his comparison is apt? I'm not sure I'm understanding it correctly.

He's a, pretty, touchy stallion.

Also, you may want to remove a comma there. I doubt you want to add more fuel to this ship than we already have. :smalltongue:

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-05, 01:33 PM
Also, you may want to remove a comma there. I doubt you want to add more fuel to this ship than we already have. :smalltongue:

I have a drum of JP-7 and I'm not afraid to use it.

Charcoal's ears ought to be burning already though.

Noctemwolf
2014-03-07, 01:15 PM
I have a drum of JP-7 and I'm not afraid to use it.

Charcoal's ears ought to be burning already though.

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek: oh dear...

And dangit, Theo! You responded too quickly! XD I had an idea on what to post, now I must figure something anew with Emeraldcoat's timely intervention.

radmelon
2014-03-07, 02:51 PM
Kiss him you fool! :roach:

Theoboldi
2014-03-07, 05:42 PM
And dangit, Theo! You responded too quickly! XD I had an idea on what to post, now I must figure something anew with Emeraldcoat's timely intervention.

Oh. Oops. :smallredface:
Sorry about that. Shouldn't be some impatient. On the upside, I at least think that I could not have made it any clearer IC what exactly Charcoal is feeling for Sojourner. ^.^

That said, could you please still answer that question I asked in the earlier post? I'd really like to know.

By the way, with this.....

There's no way what he said was true... Twilight Sparkle?
is Sojourner questioning whether Charcoal really is a student of Celestia or whether his comparison is apt? I'm not sure I'm understanding it correctly.

Noctemwolf
2014-03-08, 12:21 AM
Kiss him you fool! :roach:

0-0*** ummm.... I'll consider it? XD

Oh. Oops. :smallredface:
Sorry about that. Shouldn't be some impatient. On the upside, I at least think that I could not have made it any clearer IC what exactly Charcoal is feeling for Sojourner. ^.^

That said, could you please still answer that question I asked in the earlier post? I'd really like to know.

Your fine. I've figure how to somewhat remain where I wanted. Soj' is actually gonna be a little angry for once, I think.

and in answer to the question I somehow never got to, I was meaning that he didn't think the comparison was a good one. He's not on the level of Twilight Sparkle, no way! :smalltongue:

and the, comma, was supposed to indicated a pause, more than, emphasis. He wasn't calling Charcoal pretty, so much as you might like him to have done so. he was saying he was a pretty touchy stallion, both in the physical way and apparently the emotional way too.

edit:

Gaaah. I Am so stuck. I'll keep working on it though. Thing is, I almost don't feel like he'd actually be angry- he's not confrontational. He's more the type to crawl in the corner and shut down than stand up and fight.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-08, 01:49 AM
Gaaah. I Am so stuck. I'll keep working on it though. Thing is, I almost don't feel like he'd actually be angry- he's not confrontational. He's more the type to crawl in the corner and shut down than stand up and fight.

So what does he do when there's no corner available?

Noctemwolf
2014-03-08, 02:14 AM
So what does he do when there's no corner available?

I guess it's that point where bending doesn't help anymore, and you'll have to snap unless you fight back. I think this works so far. A little more prodding might make the teapot tip over, I think. Gotta keep feeling out his personality. Almost feels like sometimes I made him too understanding and/or passive.

Theoboldi
2014-03-08, 02:37 AM
I guess it's that point where bending doesn't help anymore, and you'll have to snap unless you fight back. I think this works so far. A little more prodding might make the teapot tip over, I think. Gotta keep feeling out his personality. Almost feels like sometimes I made him too understanding and/or passive.

Heh. Actually, now I'm an bit of a tough spot on what to write. :smalltongue:
On the one hand, Charcoal would really like to insist on his words and try to make Sojourner see things the way he does. On the other hand, he is going to feel sorry about what he did and is unlikely to disrespect Sojourner's wishes. I'll be waiting for THEChanger's response, first, but I'm definitly interested to see where this goes.

Edit: Actually, you know what? Scrap those first musings on what I am going to do! I think I have a pretty decent idea on how I want Charcoal do develop next, a change mostly induced by that single questioning of the word 'torture'. It's actually gonna be a big 'Wham!' moment for him, and will cause to become more cynical, either way. The degree of that change will depend on what happens next and on how the talk with Meteor will go, though, so it's not set in stone all that much yet. Anyway, just wanted to write something about the potential I see there. :smallbiggrin:

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-08, 03:55 PM
What Meteor did was psychological torture by modern standards. By many modern standards most forms of law enforcement can be argued to be psychological torture. Kazak pons are mean and nasty and awful.

I just wanted to throw this out there because it's a nasty grey area, and it has come up in discussion more than once already, but by modern 21st-century definitions, what Meteor did (killing a bound enemy in order to intimidate and coerce other bound enemies) absolutely does fall under the definition of psychological torture.

Go back less than a century and what she did was just 'making a threat clear.' This is a REALLY grey area, and it's particularly scary because (as Michel Foucault points out in his book Discipline and Punish) our societies are founded on coercion based on force, rather than trust. That's what the penalties imposed by the law are. "Don't do what he did, or this will happen to you." It's particularly notable in societies which still have public caning, or societies which still have the death penalty, but it applies to imprisonment, and its public element exists everywhere we see the police taking someone aside for questioning and know that someone has incurred a penalty, be it a car pulled over for speeding or a homeless individual who has had the misfortune to attract the attention of an officer who doesn't like his looks.

Meteor has been a source of these grey arguments, and I apologize to anyone who is profoundly disturbed by that. I didn't expect them to get this deep or this nasty, but I did set out to make a pony who was a warpony, and as far removed as I felt I could finagle from the sunshine and butterflies flavor of most of the show. She was born into a military society based on the 17th-19th c. Cossacks, where every male of adult age had a rank, and everyone except the children drilled for battle and fought. It amazes me to this day that when people go for 'military space alien culture' it is invariably Japanese or Roman, rather than Cossack. Not enough known about them in popular culture, I suppose.

Prior to, oh, somewhere in the late 19th-mid 20th century, depending on where on the globe you're looking, this sort of thing would be perfectly excusable by the simple argument that it was an enemy. Torture of the enemy for information was not officially encouraged with bright banners everywhere, and gentlemen generally did not do it themselves, but unless it was utterly egregious it wasn't something one generally was surprised to discover happening in war.

So Meteor is a Kazak (http://bridle.wikia.com/wiki/Kazak_Ponies), and Kazaks have a reputation (more prevalent outside the Vale, less prevalent in Stalliongrad where their actual behavior is far more mundane and discrete*) for being bloodthirsty creatures (consider Meteor's response when being accused of having 'a griffonish philosophy'), and she's under a lot of pressure. Depending on where your pony is coming from, she might be a horrific beast who no-pony should associate with or trust (Charcoal's position pretty well described, I think) or she might be exercising reasonable restraint and taking personal responsibility for the more unpleasant elements of this situation rather than having a subaltern handle it (although that would beg the question of whether she has any subalterns, given that it's a group of civilians and a rather weird set of differing Princess-mandates...She personally feels she has to convince everybody, all the time, instead of simply saying 'do this' so at least by her own definition, she's not in command)...From my perspective of the inside of her head, she wouldn't have forced someone else to carry out such an order and is very much a 'won't give an order which she wouldn't herself follow' kind of pony.

I suppose at this point pretty much every pony in the party is developing their own answers to the questions: Was that torture? Was it justifiable? Was the fact that it was about as fast and painless as could be managed a sign of restraint or just urgency? And it all comes down to 'Is Meteor a monster or someone taking monstrously desperate measures to do something good?'

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-08, 04:19 PM
P.S. Oh no, Sojo! ICEBERRRRRRRG!

http://cdn01.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/14/Titanic-Ship-Sinking-After-Iceberg-Collision-Atlantic-Ocean-01142014-01.jpg

Theoboldi
2014-03-08, 07:37 PM

http://cdn01.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/14/Titanic-Ship-Sinking-After-Iceberg-Collision-Atlantic-Ocean-01142014-01.jpg

You see, this is why I like Metecoal so much more. Those two know perfectly well they hate each other's guts. Stuff like this just can't happen. :smalltongue:

Theoboldi
2014-03-09, 07:09 PM
Have a post, with a nice bit of drama on the side!

Anyway, I hope I didn't cut any potential posts of THEChanger off with that, but here it is. I should learn to be more patient.

Oh, by the way, I'm gonna let that count as Sojourner having officially rejected Charcoal. Which means that the next pony to be nice to him is going to be the next beloved. Just wanted you to know. :smalltongue:

Noctemwolf
2014-03-09, 09:54 PM
.... You know, I actually feel a little sad now. I was enjoying that. I thought it was cute. XD

but all good things come to an end. A Captain must go down with his ship! *salutes*

And thanks for the information about, quote on quote, 'Torture', Shunka. I didn't really know, so I made sure to go back and see what had actually happened. I don't think I actually saw it the way it might have actually been- Was it that Meteor was killing them to frighten the other's into giving information? The way I saw it (So, subsequently, Sojourner saw it this way) That they weren't going to get any more useful information out of them and thus they were unnecessary. And I wasn't really expecting this out of Sojourner, and now brings about more, possible, interaction...

I'm sad, but so happy at the same time. This is fun. XD

[spoiler]
Well, I think Sojourner more agrees with what Meteor was doing rather than Charcoals more idealistic view. And I can see where that practicality might come from- The first half of his life he was raised in a tribal society. Their more, 'Primitive?' (Is that the right was to look at it?) outlook may have been more influential on him than I first realized. That's more why he agrees with Meteor- the world is a harsh place, kill or be killed, and these goblins wanted nothing more than to kill other ponies. in particular, though It's not in his original background, I do have other's he knows and does have feelings for in Euqstria... He definitely wouldn't want them to get hurt because of his inaction.
But now he's really, REALLY gonna be in the dumps, because he hates making other's mad at him, That why he almost never talks- because then no one can hate him for expressing what he thinks. unless, of course, he's simply agreeing, empathizing, or speaking on something more objective. He's probably going to try apologizing to Charcoal at some point int he future- not now, especially because he's still angry for being yelled at and basically told he was wrong. But his self-esteem issues and self-doubt is about to kick him in the gonads.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVZlLOFDAfM

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-09, 11:24 PM
1. Meteor expressly had said the night before when they 'almost raided' the Keep, that the goal of the ambush was to capture some of the enemy scouts to get information. And with Shining Hope off the map, well, that probably wasn't going to involve cookies.

2. Meteor had also previously had some things to say about how they couldn't afford to keep prisoners around because they didn't have enough people to guard them and ensure they didn't either escape or signal their allies.

That was several months ago, real time! But all in the last 72 hours game time. So hopefully no-one from the Adventurer Group was surprised by Meteor.

So she was going to kill them anyway due to 2.

She did kill the one helpless, tied-up prisoner (quickly, admittedly) and shove his body at the other helpless, tied-up prisoner while yelling 'NEXT!' Partly because if he wouldn't talk, he was, as suggested 'unnecessary.' Partly because it might make the other one who hadn't seen Charcoal's intervention more talkative. So that was pretty clearly an intimidation/threat move.

Meteor is weighing a few repugnant acts against saving the lives of hundreds or perhaps thousands of ponies. One reason she didn't ask anyone else to help was that she didn't want anyone else stuck with the responsibility for it. She's entirely aware that it's not something either Princess would likely be happy with.

But from her reading of the situation, it's arguable that she's sacrificing herself to a possible future CM in order to ensure the lives of other ponies.

Theoboldi
2014-03-10, 09:23 AM
One reason she didn't ask anyone else to help was that she didn't want anyone else stuck with the responsibility for it.

Dear goodness, does Charcoal ever have a bone to pick with that idea. In fact, it is right now becoming the biggest problem he has with Meteor. The next time the two of them talk to another is going to be loads of fun. ^.^

That said, Shunka, how's Meteor's and Bookend's conversation coming along? I'm mostly asking because you did mention something about finding it difficult to find for a reason for Meteor to trust Charcoal IC, and because I am an impatient bastard. And because I am making something effort to set up a small scene for them.

Also, have you or Nihilarian already decided whether you're going to post that thing once it's done?

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-10, 11:38 AM
Dear goodness, does Charcoal ever have a bone to pick with that idea. In fact, it is right now becoming the biggest problem he has with Meteor. The next time the two of them talk to another is going to be loads of fun. ^.^

Three reasons Meteor thinks this way:

1: Everybody else here is a civilian and even with the best of intentions may not grasp some of the military nuances. Charcoal's interference with her initial interrogation reinforced that decision even before they got into an argument.

2: One of the things she picked up as a way of leading at whatever passes for Militsiya OCS was 'Never order someone to do something you wouldn't do yourself.'

3: The means of interrogation was not as horrible as it might have been, but was still questionable; killing helpless captives isn't strictly procedural...But if we assume pre-Breaker Morant mentality to the Militsiya, which seems reasonable, it's commonly overlooked when a force has no capability to securely maintain prisoners and the prisoners' actions indicate they are not likely to give or respect paroles (the one she killed pretty much flat-out stated his intention to rejoin the enemy force and that he wouldn't betray them). So just in case there was any future question raised about her methods, she was carrying them out herself in order to protect the rest of the party from possible culpability. There's a definite distinction between a soldier killing an enemy soldier on the battlefield and a civilian doing it...Which isn't a problem for an ad hoc party like this unless the circumstances are questionable.

That said, Shunka, how's Meteor's and Bookend's conversation coming along? I'm mostly asking because you did mention something about finding it difficult to find for a reason for Meteor to trust Charcoal IC, and because I am an impatient bastard. And because I am making something effort to set up a small scene for them.

Bookend hasn't responded since Friday, I'm hoping he's having a great weekend. :)

The conversation...Is progressing. Meteor has tried to explain where she's coming from (her perspective: Charcoal is obviously nuts and dangerously unpredictable, and generally when you've got someone uncooperative you don't give them an inch...if anything, you push them until they break and start toeing the line...She has also pointed out that she has been ignoring some of what he said because if she acknowledges certain things, she has to either place him under arrest...and we have no means of securely transporting prisoners...or kill him outright.).

It's just...not a very good idea to inform someone in the military that you intend to obstruct them in the performance of their duty. Particularly if you state it in a fashion that directly suggests aiding the enemy by forcibly interrupting during a combat situation. See also 'treason,' 'partisan,' etc. Meteor felt that if she acknowledge him saying that, it left her with few options: she could either place Charcoal under arrest immediately, gagging and bagging him (that party-stunning scream, after all) and handing him off to Emeraldcoat to worry about his paroles and actions...Or basically declare him an enemy immediately and beat the tar out of him and thereby proactively prevent his stated interference. Either of those solutions not only takes a potentially useful combat asset off her list, it causes further potential disruption to what she already considers a dangerously unstable team.

In conversation with Bookend, she literally compared Charcoal to a keg of alchemist's fire: great if you can get it pointed at the enemy and delivered without it exploding all over you, but a dangerous liability right up to the instant you deliver it to target.

Bookend doesn't agree with all of this (everyone have their surprised faces on?) but has managed to get across to Meteor that what she has been doing hasn't improved matters any.

Also, have you or Nihilarian already decided whether you're going to post that thing once it's done?

I haven't double-checked with him, but I think I'd suggested that publicly before, and my feeling was that yes, we would! I just hadn't realized others would start up as well and was initially taking it to PM so everyone could get-on-with-adventuring instead of waiting on me and Nihilarian. It should've been obvious to me that with Meteor off the scene, Charcoal would want to discuss things out of her earshot as well. My bad!

Rendel Nep
2014-03-11, 07:58 AM
Applemite is a blend of yeast extract used in he brewing of apple cider, spices and salt.

Theoboldi
2014-03-11, 09:52 AM
I haven't double-checked with him, but I think I'd suggested that publicly before, and my feeling was that yes, we would! I just hadn't realized others would start up as well and was initially taking it to PM so everyone could get-on-with-adventuring instead of waiting on me and Nihilarian. It should've been obvious to me that with Meteor off the scene, Charcoal would want to discuss things out of her earshot as well. My bad!

Heh. Don't worry. It's not like it would have taken a shorter amount of time the other way. (Though admittedly we can't tell how far you've gotten through the conversation this way, so that's kinda annoying. But not very much.) So I'm at least not bothered much more than my usual impatient self would be.

Three reasons Meteor thinks this way:

1: Everybody else here is a civilian and even with the best of intentions may not grasp some of the military nuances. Charcoal's interference with her initial interrogation reinforced that decision even before they got into an argument.

2: One of the things she picked up as a way of leading at whatever passes for Militsiya OCS was 'Never order someone to do something you wouldn't do yourself.'

3: The means of interrogation was not as horrible as it might have been, but was still questionable; killing helpless captives isn't strictly procedural...But if we assume pre-Breaker Morant mentality to the Militsiya, which seems reasonable, it's commonly overlooked when a force has no capability to securely maintain prisoners and the prisoners' actions indicate they are not likely to give or respect paroles (the one she killed pretty much flat-out stated his intention to rejoin the enemy force and that he wouldn't betray them). So just in case there was any future question raised about her methods, she was carrying them out herself in order to protect the rest of the party from possible culpability. There's a definite distinction between a soldier killing an enemy soldier on the battlefield and a civilian doing it...Which isn't a problem for an ad hoc party like this unless the circumstances are questionable.

The conversation...Is progressing. Meteor has tried to explain where she's coming from (her perspective: Charcoal is obviously nuts and dangerously unpredictable, and generally when you've got someone uncooperative you don't give them an inch...if anything, you push them until they break and start toeing the line...She has also pointed out that she has been ignoring some of what he said because if she acknowledges certain things, she has to either place him under arrest...and we have no means of securely transporting prisoners...or kill him outright.).

It's just...not a very good idea to inform someone in the military that you intend to obstruct them in the performance of their duty. Particularly if you state it in a fashion that directly suggests aiding the enemy by forcibly interrupting during a combat situation. See also 'treason,' 'partisan,' etc. Meteor felt that if she acknowledge him saying that, it left her with few options: she could either place Charcoal under arrest immediately, gagging and bagging him (that party-stunning scream, after all) and handing him off to Emeraldcoat to worry about his paroles and actions...Or basically declare him an enemy immediately and beat the tar out of him and thereby proactively prevent his stated interference. Either of those solutions not only takes a potentially useful combat asset off her list, it causes further potential disruption to what she already considers a dangerously unstable team.

In conversation with Bookend, she literally compared Charcoal to a keg of alchemist's fire: great if you can get it pointed at the enemy and delivered without it exploding all over you, but a dangerous liability right up to the instant you deliver it to target.

Bookend doesn't agree with all of this (everyone have their surprised faces on?) but has managed to get across to Meteor that what she has been doing hasn't improved matters any.

That said, I'm afraid I can't entirely expand on Charcoal's state of mind in response to all this right now, seeing as I do want him to talk to Meteor about that IC, and posting anything about it here would only make that conversation a simple rehash of what was said here.

And yes, I'm afraid that conversation will have to happen as soon as Meteor and Bookend are done talking. And it will make us take even longer before we finally reach that damned bridge. Yikes. :smalltongue:

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-11, 11:22 AM
And yes, I'm afraid that conversation will have to happen as soon as Meteor and Bookend are done talking.

Oh dear.

And it will make us take even longer before we finally reach that damned bridge. Yikes. :smalltongue:

Who brought the deck of cards?

Noctemwolf
2014-03-11, 11:34 PM
Oh dear.

Who brought the deck of cards?

XD

hey, you can't let good roleplay go to waste.

Rendel Nep
2014-03-12, 03:43 AM
A sudden ninja goblin surprise would fix things.

Noctemwolf
2014-03-12, 04:01 AM
A sudden ninja goblin surprise would fix things.

Would be a good reminder of our mission. Or, could end up being another point of contention. Who knows? =P

Theoboldi
2014-03-12, 06:09 AM
Would be a good reminder of our mission. Or, could end up being another point of contention. Who knows? =P

Problem is, at this point Charcoal actually is actually rather unlikely to help the party if they are attacked, which means that I would get none of the XP. And we'd need to do even more RP about that.

Trust me, it'll get sorted out quicker this way. Also, there's a good chance Charcoal will fall in love with Meteor this way. So that's good, too.

Rendel Nep
2014-03-12, 07:34 AM
I don't think the party with its close proximity to an elephant would be the most likely target of surprise ninja attack. Someone wandering off on their own though...

Theoboldi
2014-03-12, 07:40 AM
In that case, I'd be entirely for it, seeing as I am playing a flying warlock who can turn invisible and has shatter at will. Should be simple enough to take down a few ninjas. :smalltongue:

Unless they sneak up on me. But hey, that's why I'm up a tree. No ninja's gonna go through all the trouble of climbing up there when there's two juicy tin soldiers just standing there on the ground. Who are then going to slaughter them within seconds, because they're Meteor and Bookend. Meaning I won't get any xp, yet again. I didn't really think this through.

Noctemwolf
2014-03-12, 09:11 AM
In that case, I'd be entirely for it, seeing as I am playing a flying warlock who can turn invisible and has shatter at will. Should be simple enough to take down a few ninjas. :smalltongue:

Unless they sneak up on me. But hey, that's why I'm up a tree. No ninja's gonna go through all the trouble of climbing up there when there's two juicy tin soldiers just standing there on the ground. Who are then going to slaughter them within seconds, because they're Meteor and Bookend. Meaning I won't get any xp, yet again. I didn't really think this through.

I think more than likely we're just going to end up moving on once all the drama is through. Just my opinion, though.

Theoboldi
2014-03-12, 09:14 AM
I think more than likely we're just going to end up moving on once all the drama is through. Just my opinion, though.

You can't let me have any fun imagening goblins getting slashed to pieces, can you? :smalltongue:

Noctemwolf
2014-03-12, 09:16 AM
You can't let me have any fun imagening goblins getting slashed to pieces, can you? :smalltongue:

Sojourner already drove in the knife. I might as well twist it a little. :smalltongue:

Theoboldi
2014-03-12, 09:55 AM
Sojourner already drove in the knife. I might as well twist it a little. :smalltongue:

If it's of any consolidation, by the time Shunka and Nihilarian are done with their PM stuff, I should have plenty of time, meaning that any talk between Meteor and Charcoal should be over fairly quickly.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-12, 11:38 AM
hey, you can't let good roleplay go to waste.

Indeed! I'll have you know that I roleplay a mean game of cards, sirrah! *Looks you in the eye while dealing alternate cards off the bottom of the deck.*

But hey, that's why I'm up a tree.

But what if a rabid lumberjack approaches?

If it's of any consolidation, by the time Shunka and Nihilarian are done with their PM stuff, I should have plenty of time, meaning that any talk between Meteor and Charcoal should be over fairly quickly.

About that. No updates since Friday. :/ Pondering moving on in party realtime with Shunka just being sort of sulkily amiable.

Theoboldi
2014-03-12, 11:45 AM
Hrm. That's somewhat worrying. I do hope he's alright, and it's just some sort of hardware problem or writer's block.

That said, would it still be possible to have that short talk between Meteor and Charcoal? He was actually even going to try and tell Meteor that he didn't think she is a monster, for goodness sake. Along with some whinyness about recent issues, though. But not too much.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-12, 03:35 PM
Hrm. That's somewhat worrying. I do hope he's alright, and it's just some sort of hardware problem or writer's block.

Me, too. I'm not super-worried just yet, as he's not one of the people who I see always logged in, all the time and who is constantly updating things (vide you an I).

That said, would it still be possible to have that short talk between Meteor and Charcoal? He was actually even going to try and tell Meteor that he didn't think she is a monster, for goodness sake. Along with some whinyness about recent issues, though. But not too much.

Oh! That's what I meant by moving back to the party real time, as from my pespective, Charcoal is still 'out in public party chat' as opposed to Meteor and Bookend being off in the no man's land of PM-ville.

Theoboldi
2014-03-12, 03:46 PM
Very well. In that case, do what you want. Though I personally will only have time during the weekend to do any real RP this week and next week, owing to school related stuff, so that conversation would have to wait until then. Just FYI.

people who I see always logged in, all the time and who is constantly updating things (vide you an I).

Also, that is so accurate it is frightening.

Nihilarian
2014-03-12, 10:31 PM
First I'd like to apologize for keeping you waiting. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I am going to withdraw from the game. I was surprised to get a message from Shunka, as I thought the game had died. I tried to come back and play but honestly I haven't been having fun with it. It may in large part be because I just don't watch the show anymore, and haven't in a long time.

I really am sorry. For a long time I had fun playing, even if we didn't exactly go anywhere. I hope the game goes well.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-12, 10:39 PM
First I'd like to apologize for keeping you waiting. I've been thinking about this for a while, and I am going to withdraw from the game. I was surprised to get a message from Shunka, as I thought the game had died. I tried to come back and play but honestly I haven't been having fun with it. It may in large part be because I just don't watch the show anymore, and haven't in a long time.

I really am sorry. For a long time I had fun playing, even if we didn't exactly go anywhere. I hope the game goes well.

I am very sorry to hear that, Nihil, and I hope it hasn't been (though I suspect part of the lack of fun has been) due to Meteor's mentality. I think that placing things in a borderland orc-invasion really moves it away from a lot of the elements of the show, unfortunately.

I've definitely enjoyed your participation. I was looking forward to hopefully finding a calmer headspace for Meteor and Charcoal and perhaps exploring more of Meteor and Bookend's relationship (the one pony in the party she literally looked up to). But if you aren't having fun, I totally don't want you to feel dragged along.

radmelon
2014-03-12, 11:57 PM

What made you think the game had died? Were you not following the thread? :smallconfused:

Theoboldi
2014-03-13, 07:33 AM

Aw. Too bad. I had somewhat dreaded that this was the case, but I suppose there's nothing that can be done about it. Though your contributions will be missed, it's no use to try and play in a game that you do not enjoy. Hope that you have more fun with whatever else you'll play in in the future.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-14, 12:26 PM
Waiting to hear how we'll handle this OOC, as it will have pretty darn significant impact on how things go with Meteor. If Bookend is still around, but background, then from Meteor's IC perspective things pretty much move on (though I'm definitely going to miss Nihil's civil barbarian). If the IC effect is that Bookend just gave Meteor a piece of his mind and walked away from the party, well, that will have really serious effects on how she acts from here on out, I'm afraid.

So I haven't lost interest or anything, but I'm waiting to hear how this is going to be handled, because I feel it is quite critical to the next few moves.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-15, 03:27 PM
Looks as if Bones' last login was last Sunday evening, so not quite a week.

I'm noting that we're down to five PCs, which is doable, perhaps even easier on the GM. On the other hand, I look back a year and we had, what...Ten? :(

Theoboldi
2014-03-15, 03:51 PM
Looks like he'll be coming to some bad news, then. Poor him. He's been doing his best to hold this together against all odds, especially considering how little time he seems to have. At least there's the upside of less players being easier to DM, as you said.

That said, I am still somewhat sad that so many of us left. There's nothing that can be done about a plain lack of time or a loss of interest in the subject matter, but it always is disappointing nontheless. Hopefully the rest of us will manage to stay around, as considering the rather niche direction this campaign has taken in its tone and themes would make re-recruitment difficult, to say the least. At the very least, I am reasonably certain that I'll be able to stay around in the foreseeable future, and I do hope that most of the others here will be so, too.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-15, 04:43 PM
Looks like he'll be coming to some bad news, then. Poor him. He's been doing his best to hold this together against all odds, especially considering how little time he seems to have. At least there's the upside of less players being easier to DM, as you said.

Alas, yes. :( And yet it HAS held together, although some folks have left. While I enjoyed playing with all of them, I particularly am feeling the loss of Hope (pun fully intended) and Bookend, because they were the two characters who had really solid foundations of 'I have a longstanding relationship with Meteor' and with Hope in 'little sister whose mad sensibilities must be protected' role and Bookend providing a stern but not unrealistic civilian anchor, Meteor was a little less apt to take, well, expedient approaches.

That said, I am still somewhat sad that so many of us left. There's nothing that can be done about a plain lack of time or a loss of interest in the subject matter, but it always is disappointing nontheless. Hopefully the rest of us will manage to stay around, as considering the rather niche direction this campaign has taken in its tone and themes would make re-recruitment difficult, to say the least. At the very least, I am reasonably certain that I'll be able to stay around in the foreseeable future, and I do hope that most of the others here will be so, too.

Difficult, yeah. "Looking for more players for a game of MLP in Red Hoof of Doom. That means things are a bit harsher and darker due to an invading carnivorous goblin/dragon army, and the party itself is in conflict between fluff and rainbows vs blood and grit. Think you have a pony who might fit?" :6

I can hear the massive chorus of "WTF?!" from here.

Rendel Nep
2014-03-15, 08:23 PM
I think people would be surprised this game is still running.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-15, 08:32 PM
I think people would be surprised this game is still running.

Hmmmmm. So you think maybe, I don't know...Poke the people who were here in the beginning? Assuming that Bones thinks we need more cannon fod small horses?

I am not saying that we definitely do, though if we lose 1 or 2 more people things will get pretty iffy.

Rendel Nep
2014-03-15, 09:39 PM
Didn't that list get deleted? Anyway I'm sure people in the recruitment forum are pretty easy going. I've see a few threads recruiting for pony games with a purpose built RPG system. Wouldn't be that unusual.

Although I think this makes Cordon the heavy melee hitter now.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-16, 01:14 AM
Didn't that list get deleted? Anyway I'm sure people in the recruitment forum are pretty easy going. I've see a few threads recruiting for pony games with a purpose built RPG system. Wouldn't be that unusual.

I think we still have all of the original suspects applicants in the application thread, believe it or not, which is available in archive.

Although I think this makes Cordon the heavy melee hitter now.

Maybe! Though I think Meteor still has the alpha strike from hell, providing she has altitude to work with. She's upgraded very significantly since the Koth-fight. Dungeon-Crasher + Diving Charge on IBR = 6d6+6.

...And then she's altitude zero, velocity zero, and trying to get clear before something realizes how crunchy she really is.

Rendel Nep
2014-03-16, 02:38 AM
Ooh the applicant thread still exists? that's handy. With that new information I guess Cordon will be the loud and obvious distraction. What with all his rallying and defensive fighting.

Theoboldi
2014-03-16, 06:17 AM
With that new information I guess Cordon will be the loud and obvious distraction.

Isn't that what Charcoal usually does? :smalltongue:

radmelon
2014-03-16, 02:09 PM
Dusty is competant in melee as well, though not that tanky. Meteor's definitely going to be carrying the party in melee though.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-16, 02:34 PM
Dusty is competant in melee as well, though not that tanky. Meteor's definitely going to be carrying the party in melee though.

Not really. That's her alpha strike (non-repeatable, pulling out all the stops, saving nothing for defense...last time she did something similar she got critted hard and nearly killed) from a diving charge. She can't sustain it. She needs distance to build that speed. Once she's stuck in, her damage drops off considerably.

That's why in fights Meteor seems to be a 'hit something, fly off and hit something else' skirmisher rather than 'hit the thing and stay there pound on it until it dies' which Bookend was -- although usually between Meteor and everyone else's attacks the thing in question was dead on impact anyway. Meteor + Bookend on the Manticore was an eye-opener for me.

And she's very fragile compared to him. Not a tank.

Noctemwolf
2014-03-16, 10:58 PM
I'll still be around so long as you guys are willing to continue.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-16, 11:42 PM
Totally willing. Just need to hear from Bones and have some idea how we're handling this.

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-19, 04:02 AM
Okay, okay, I need to stop stressing over this. We KNOW that Bones is having a rough semester (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17112763&postcount=1311) and totally need to take that into account. He's been absent longer before without it even being an issue because we all were conversing ICly and keeping the roleplay going.

What's gnawing at me is that it's not so easy to just go ahead and DO that this time, and that's why his absence is so noticeable.

I am very, very sorry folks if any of you think I am holding everyone up. Is it pretty clear why I am? It makes a huge difference for how Meteor will act if Bookend ICly abandons the party vs. how she will act if he's still there as a background pony. Particularly given the conversation, in which he didn't, well, really chew her out, but he made it very clear to her that he thought she was making some bad choices and needed to examine what she was doing and maybe change it.

I really am sorry. It just is one of those things which would make a huge difference.

Mweh, you know what? I'm going to PM Nihil and ask him if it's okay to keep Bookend going as a background pony, and then move on with that, and Bones can make him as active or not as he chooses. I'd really rather have run it by Bones first, but I am now worrying about other people losing interest because I'm stuck.

EDIT: PM'ed Nihil. As soon as he gets back to me, I'll post a thing and we can get around to resolving some of this and moving on as a group with everyone participating.

radmelon
2014-03-19, 09:56 AM
I don't think you're holding us up at all. I love Meteor's character, I've never been in a game with this much roleplaying. Seriously, this is the best game I've ever been in. Don't feel like you're being a killjoy, because you're not. :smallcool:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69811530/Reaction%20pics/mlfw8120-bop.jpg

Shunka Warakin
2014-03-19, 12:14 PM
Okay, we've got a green light from Nihilarian:

Sorry to bother you again, but Bones is away for an extended time due to schooling or I'd ask him to ask you to be sure everything was fine with him.

He has been running the party's best-equipped healer (Sapphire) as an NPC for quite a while, just in the background, only really noteworthy in combat.

Are you okay with Bookend remaining in a similar role?

I am afraid that I'm kind of hung up on how to have Meteor respond if Bookend causes her to doubt her behavior (which needed doing!) and then walks away vs. if he does so and 'becomes a background pony'.

The former kind of ICly says 'I'm sorry but I no longer can work with your decisions.' and that'd probably result in Meteor having, well, some issues as a result. The latter will still cause significant change, but it will be a lot less traumatic.

Are you comfortable with this idea? He is, after all, your character and I'm not going to put words in his mouth, it's just a question of 'does Bookend remain with the party, or say his piece to Meteor and turn away, disappearing into the woods'?

I'm very sorry for the imposition.

- ShunkaI'm fine with him being run like Sapphire.

I'm giving you free reign to decide what Bookend does in the future. If you want him to follow you quietly and follow your orders, that's fine. If you want him to die for drama reasons, that's fine, or if you want him to turn to the dark side that's fine. If you want him to return home and build his library or look for that keep whose deed he found or get married and get a job as a bartender or something, it's fine. Whatever you feel makes the best story, I approve. :smallsmile:

Does that help? I just woke up so tell me if I misunderstood the question.

Also, thanks a bunch Radmelon. I get really worried when I'm playing a character who has a central-ish party role and is having excessively loud and dramatic conflicts with other party members that I am dragging everyone down or holding the party back or otherwise, in a nutshell, preventing people from enjoying the game.

In fact, it worries me so much that at times I stop enjoying things myself.

I had a similar party role (though not at all the same sort of character, a noblewoman swashbuckler type in an Ironclaw game who was constantly snarking and threatening a peasant whose player insisted on trying to be modernishly "I don't respect your authority or title simply because it's a thing you were born with so I'm going to behave rudely to you at every opportunity.") and there was always this underlying feeling that if things went just a tiny bit further she'd simply turn and cut him down...Or to add insult to injury, have her minions do so. Everyone else was apparently having a grand old time watching this, but it stressed me more than a little, particularly because the other player really didn't 'get' the idea that IC is supposed to be taking place in a near-Renaissance society where no, one did not score points by 'standing up to the Man' but instead was liable to be beaten bloody or killed for harassing the nobility.

I will try to get a post up tonight, but I am trying to grade midterm papers in time to get them back to people by Friday. I want my weekend to be a real weekend, damn it.

Noctemwolf
2014-03-21, 01:43 AM
I agree with melon. I love games that end up with heavy amounts of roleplaying, ESPECIALLY when characters have to deal with issues like this- it helps get to the core of the character and really learn about them, you know?

So don't be worried at all. I'm loving this and I hope the roleplay continues for a good while.

radmelon
2014-03-31, 11:22 AM
Wow, everything sure got fancy all of a sudden? It's good to be back. :smallcool:

Noctemwolf
2014-03-31, 04:51 PM
It took me forever to figure out where to find the right page to find this one. 0-0

radmelon
2014-03-31, 07:49 PM
Really? It took me a few minutes. :smallconfused: I suppose I used the quick links thing quite often already, but I would have thought it was more obvious.

Anyways, this campaign takes place around the season 3 opener, right? Man, I can't wait for Dusty Tomes's reaction to hearing that the crystal empire is back. It's like an archaeologist's dream.

Rendel Nep
2014-04-01, 05:35 AM
Still here as well, Just hadn't had an opportunity to post.

Theoboldi
2014-04-01, 11:25 AM
Ah, nice to be back. Though I am somewhat annoyed that I can't check my subscribed threads on my mobile anymore. What's up with that? >.>

Anyway, I'll be waiting for Meteor's triumphant return, Shunka. Or something along those lines. Hooray for imminent character development! In a not entirely pleasant direction, but still!

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-02, 03:33 PM
Oh what the hell???! I have been restarting my computer daily (turning it off when I wasn't around because we've had some power outages) and it keeps coming up with the forum still being 'under repair' but I happen to check from my hubby's laptop and BAM it has been back for a couple of days?! What the hell?! Time to purge cookies...

And I'd just written Bones on Tumblr this morning about how it was down and what had happened before it went down, too.

Glad to see it's back, glad to see people posting. Unfortunately I will be very busy this afternoon, tonight (probably up all night, wah) and tomorrow, but expect an IC post by Friday morning, latest.

Noctemwolf
2014-04-08, 03:42 AM
So..... *fiddles awkwardly*

How has everyone been recently? Any news to share, beyond computer troubles and such?

Nothing crazy for me, save perhaps geting a good job soon as an electrical apprentice.

MandibleBones
2014-04-08, 09:41 AM
Briefly checking in. I owe you all an explanation for my absence, and you'll get it soon. Not dead. Promise.

radmelon
2014-04-08, 12:10 PM
I've got finals, so I've been having to (mostly) eschew ponies in favor of making sure I won't fail. Calculus I'm confident about, but I'm having the hardest time with chemistry I've ever had. Even worse, I'm not finding the tests difficult, I'm just getting reasonable but wrong answers. :smallmad:

But once that's all over with then everything will be just fine.

Theoboldi
2014-04-08, 04:51 PM
I've got to ditto radmelon there. Currently being rather busy with my finals, though I'll have the next week mostly for myself, which will serve as a nice break from everything. Still, my time is somewhat limited currently, and will be so in the next few months. But I'll be able to keep up.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-10, 10:48 AM
Hey folks, sorry. Things are busy here, too. Had to take on some part-time tutoring...Okay, a lot of part-time tutoring...recently. My apologies. I was half-fearing we were dead here.

THEChanger
2014-04-10, 03:23 PM
Still about, lurking like...like...like a thing that lurks.

My brain may be slightly fried from huge piles of research and writing, but I am still here. :smallsmile:

Theoboldi
2014-04-11, 10:22 AM
It just occured to me that tomorrow it'll have been one month since the last IC post. And despite that, we're still going, and everyone still seems determined not to let this die.

Anyway, I just want to reitterate that, it being easter next week, I'll have loads of free time over the next two weeks. If nothing else happens I'll at least get up an IC during that time, though it will only be some simple reflectig monologue stuff. Just to keep at least a snail's pace. :smalltongue:

Theoboldi
2014-04-13, 08:44 PM
You know, I always hate it when my posts end up being that long. Seems like way too much of a textwall. I am pretty sure that I could have my character say what I want him to say in much fewer words. Sigh.

Noctemwolf
2014-04-14, 12:08 AM
You know, I always hate it when my posts end up being that long. Seems like way too much of a textwall. I am pretty sure that I could have my character say what I want him to say in much fewer words. Sigh.

Dude, I envy that. I like long walls of text. XD I dunno, it makes me feel like something was accomplished even if it was actually nothing. So, yea.

textwalls 1

tiny posts 0

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-14, 01:48 AM

I thiiiiiiink I can speak with some authority on the topic of wall-o-text posting and say...No, don't worry about it. You're FINE. It's great reading and full of character, and it's NOWHERE NEAR as long as SOME PEOPLE have been known to put up *doesn't glance in mirror*.

I'm working on a post now to get Meteor back around the fire, but I'm not entirely sure about posting the Meteor/Bookend conversation because it just sort of stopped mid-exchange when Nihilarian realized he wasn't enjoying ponies anymore.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-14, 11:10 AM
"Even if the rest of Equestria isn't. But even if they don't deserve saving, the princess is still in danger. Somewhere out there, those goblins and reptiles are still tinkering around with the artifact that is threatening her. And I'll be damned if I won't stop them."

Charcoal, he may not be the hero Equestria needs, but he's the one it deserves. ;)

Theoboldi
2014-04-14, 11:33 AM
nice stuff

even more nice stuff

Aw, shucks. I'm really trying to keep the more monolouge-ish stuff at least somewhat down, as I really don't like it when my posts boil down to large character motivation exposition dumps. That's something I always try to avoid in RPs, as posts like that can feel very long. Especially if the character is ranting about something.

Charcoal, he may not be the hero Equestria needs, but he's the one it deserves. ;)

Ah, the wonderful route of the anti-hero. To be entirely honest, this is pretty much what I had planned for him the moment he ran of after Sojourner's comment. Though if Meteor had talked to him, his attitude would probably be even more grim right now. Still, first time a character of mine got compared to Batman. That's gotta count for something. :smalltongue:

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-14, 12:56 PM
Oh hay, more armored ponies (http://earthsong9405.tumblr.com/post/82373342162/a-thingy-thing-thing-ive-decided-to-do-because-i).

Noctemwolf
2014-04-14, 04:41 PM
Oh hay, more armored ponies (http://earthsong9405.tumblr.com/post/82373342162/a-thingy-thing-thing-ive-decided-to-do-because-i).

I'm not sure you understand how much I love those pictures.

If there were two things I loved, you combined both of them into one.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-14, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure you understand how much I love those pictures.

If there were two things I loved, you combined both of them into one.

Those are not my pictures! Sorry, different armored pony artist. I have psoted links to a few of them here...

Noctemwolf
2014-04-14, 05:28 PM
Those are not my pictures! Sorry, different armored pony artist. I have psoted links to a few of them here...

theeeen, THEY combined them into one. 0-0*

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-14, 08:04 PM
theeeen, THEY combined them into one. 0-0*

Heh. You saw the other ones I posted, ya? The ones on DA with the gritty-medieval Shining Armor and my own sketches of Meteor in her armor?

radmelon
2014-04-15, 03:28 PM
Huzzah! My finals are done! This should give me a lot more time free, now that I don't have to study. On the other hand, having had two dental visits with xrays in the past four days, I'm due for a bunch of dental work (two cavity filling sessions, then wisdom teeth removal). First batch of fillings is tomorrow. Not looking forwards to that. :xykon:

Theoboldi
2014-04-15, 03:32 PM
Remember. Painkillers are your only friend in these dark times. Make sure they never, ever wear off.

Noctemwolf
2014-04-16, 01:03 AM
Sorry for no responses of my own. I'm waiting for Bones.

I had something I wanted to ask him about before I continued on with my posts. If he doesn't show within a few days though, I'll be sure to continue, though.

Man do I feel like a douche bag now, though. _-_

and yes, Shunka, I did see the deviantart posts. Just in case, mind posting them again? Or I might just go post hunting, that's always fun... *Archaeologist hat at the ready*

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-16, 03:33 PM
Man do I feel like a douche bag now, though. _-_

Welcome to the club! Meteor is probably a founding member at this point.

But we'll see where things go in the next little conversation.

I will probably be posting tonight.

Hardhats are probably a good idea.

And I'll see if I can find the time to dig up the other armored-pony art inspiration later.

Theoboldi
2014-04-16, 03:41 PM
And I'll see if I can find the time to dig up the other armored-pony art inspiration later.

You want armored ponies? I'll give you armored ponies! (http://underpable.deviantart.com/art/Megamare-X-Chrysalis-v2-362198249)

What do you mean that's not what he was talking about? Yeah, I just wanted to have an exuse to share this with someone. It's awesome.

radmelon
2014-04-16, 05:34 PM
Just got back from my first dental fillings since I was 6. Went in terrified, left laughing. My mouth is still numb, and the lorazepam (antianxiety pills) are probably still working.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-16, 07:27 PM
You want armored ponies? I'll give you armored ponies! (http://underpable.deviantart.com/art/Megamare-X-Chrysalis-v2-362198249)

What do you mean that's not what he was talking about? Yeah, I just wanted to have an exuse to share this with someone. It's awesome.

Awwwwwwww, dat's cute. :D

Just got back from my first dental fillings since I was 6. Went in terrified, left laughing. My mouth is still numb, and the lorazepam (antianxiety pills) are probably still working.

Glad to hear it went well! Dental surgery is always a source of anxiety for me, but I seem to be resistant to painkillers for reasons unknown, particularly local injections.

Theoboldi
2014-04-16, 08:16 PM
Awwwwwwww, dat's cute. :D

....That's a weird way to describe what looks like the lovechild of Darth Vader and the Zerg. :smalltongue:

Nice to hear some good news. Hope that the rest of it goes just as smoothly. Though I guess that you won't have to worry about the next surgery for at least some time now.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-17, 01:38 AM
....That's a weird way to describe what looks like the lovechild of Darth Vader and the Zerg. :smalltongue:

Don't be silly! Queen Chrysalis is always cute!

Did you see the more three dimensional version (http://underpable.deviantart.com/art/Megamare-X-Chrysalis-v1-348938582)?

Theoboldi
2014-04-17, 11:18 AM
Don't be silly! Queen Chrysalis is always cute!

Did you see the more three dimensional version (http://underpable.deviantart.com/art/Megamare-X-Chrysalis-v1-348938582)?

Yup. And that one I'd agree is cute. Look at that smile. It's adorable.

radmelon
2014-04-17, 02:51 PM
Nice to hear some good news. Hope that the rest of it goes just as smoothly. Though I guess that you won't have to worry about the next surgery for at least some time now.

Nope. I still have the other side's fillings to go, and then the wisdom teeth. In fact, later today I'm getting a ctscan to see how close they are to the nerve there. At least the xray is quick.

Theoboldi
2014-04-17, 02:55 PM
Already? Huh. I've had to wait a few months between the removal of upper and my lower wisdom teeth. :smallconfused:

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-17, 04:58 PM
Nope. I still have the other side's fillings to go, and then the wisdom teeth. In fact, later today I'm getting a ctscan to see how close they are to the nerve there. At least the xray is quick.

Oh man! Good luck with that, hopefully it's not going to be as much of a problem as they think (however much that is!).

Noctemwolf
2014-04-17, 09:23 PM
Best of luck with the wisdom teeth!

I was lucky to be way, way out of it with that laughing gas or whatever.

although apparently I was saying some weird things while I was still drugged. 0-0*
Don't let anyone ask you questions you DON"T want to answer.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-18, 02:12 AM
Sorry, Theo, I'm just sort of waiting to see if we get a post in from anyone else at the fireside since everyone's there but Sojourner at the moment.

Noctemwolf
2014-04-18, 02:39 AM
Sorry, Theo, I'm just sort of waiting to see if we get a post in from anyone else at the fireside since everyone's there but Sojourner at the moment.

I'm posting tomorrow whether Bones has returned or not, though I highly Doubt 'Journ has much to say unless someone else wants to talk to him. Like I said, i was just kinda waiting to ask Bones a question. I do hope he's alright- He hasn't posted in a while. :smallfrown:

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-18, 04:18 AM
I'm posting tomorrow whether Bones has returned or not, though I highly Doubt 'Journ has much to say unless someone else wants to talk to him. Like I said, i was just kinda waiting to ask Bones a question. I do hope he's alright- He hasn't posted in a while. :smallfrown:

Okay. I hope so, too. I know he has had some back trouble lately. And while it has been a little bit since his last post, it hasn't been NEARLY as long as it was between that post and the post before, so I think he's just busy as heck with school and stuff right now.

Theoboldi
2014-04-19, 03:12 PM
Noctem, you really need to stop making promises you can't keep. :smalltongue:

I don't really have much to add on the "Mandibles is still missing-thingy", except to say that I hope he's doing alright and that I'm really hoping that it is only work that's keeping him busy at the moment.

That said, does anyone know whether Rendel is still around? He hasn't posted anything IC and OOC for a while. I'm not as concerned about THEChanger, as he does a lot of lurking, usually, but Rendel has been rather quiet recently.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-19, 04:25 PM

Eh, I do that too. Sometimes stuff comes up.

That said, does anyone know whether Rendel is still around? He hasn't posted anything IC and OOC for a while. I'm not as concerned about THEChanger, as he does a lot of lurking, usually, but Rendel has been rather quiet recently.

His last activity on the forum is yesterday, so he's okay, just being quiet. HI RENDEL! :)

Theoboldi
2014-04-19, 04:33 PM
Eh, I do that too. Sometimes stuff comes up.

Heh. Don't worry, I'm not blaming him for it. I just find that in the whole history of this game, I can't remember a single time someone who promised to make a post on a given date actually delivered on it. It's getting kind of funny at this point. :smalltongue:

His last activity on the forum is yesterday, so he's okay, just being quiet. HI RENDEL! :)

To be entirely honest, my bigger worry is that he simply thinks the game died. As said, the silence worries me somewhat. But that may just be my belingering impatience.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-19, 04:39 PM
Heh. Don't worry, I'm not blaming him for it. I just find that in the whole history of this game, I can't remember a single time someone who promised to make a post on a given date actually delivered on it. It's getting kind of funny at this point. :smalltongue:

We should make it our secret code phrase for 'Guys, I'm here, but I won't be able to post.'

To be entirely honest, my bigger worry is that he simply thinks the game died. As said, the silence worries me somewhat. But that may just be my belingering impatience.

We could drop him a line? Meteor's tummy is rumbly. She missed dinner because Bookend did the 'We have to talk. Right. NOW.' thing.

Theoboldi
2014-04-19, 04:45 PM
We could drop him a line? Meteor's tummy is rumbly. She missed dinner because Bookend did the 'We have to talk. Right. NOW.' thing.

Maybe. Though it would end up somewhat akward if he doesn't respond. :smalltongue:
That said, if you want to do it, go ahead. Meteor has the easiest motive to speak to him right now, as you said. /tryingdesperatlytomakeyoupostIC

Noctemwolf
2014-04-19, 05:20 PM

I'm really bad about those kinds of promises. ;-;

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-19, 05:36 PM
I'm really bad about those kinds of promises. ;-;

As Theo pointed out, we ALL are. ;) It's cool, don't sweat it. We're just happy to have you here.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-19, 06:00 PM
Also, I went ahead and tossed Rendel a note.

Noctemwolf
2014-04-19, 10:55 PM
As Theo pointed out, we ALL are. ;) It's cool, don't sweat it. We're just happy to have you here.

Thanks. :smallbiggrin: Also, small post be small. Well, put's em back at the campfire if anyone's gonna try anything. I don't know if there's much more to do with this scene...

Theoboldi
2014-04-20, 02:44 PM
Thanks. :smallbiggrin: Also, small post be small. Well, put's em back at the campfire if anyone's gonna try anything. I don't know if there's much more to do with this scene...

Don't worry, there's always the bickering of the Mr. and Ms. Contentious, a.k.a. Meteor and Charcoal. Though I'm not entirely sure how far that will carry us anymore. But hey, gotta stay optimistic.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-21, 08:20 PM
No time at all tonight. I will post IC tomorrow.

Noctemwolf
2014-04-21, 10:50 PM

Take your time, please. no rush. I think. :smallbiggrin:

Theoboldi
2014-04-22, 01:01 AM

I'll just reiterate what I said previously about such promises. ^.^

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-23, 10:24 AM
I'll just reiterate what I said previously about such promises. ^.^

*Mumblegrumble*

Theoboldi
2014-04-23, 10:39 AM
*Mumblegrumble*

Would it be smug to say I told you so? :p

That aside, I am getting somewhat worried about us already being on page 48 of this thread. Unless they removed the page limit in the update, we'll need a new OOC soon. And Mandibles is nowhere in sight. Though I suppose we could make one ourselves if it comes down to it. Still, somewhat worried about that.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-23, 11:39 AM
Would it be smug to say I told you so? :p

That aside, I am getting somewhat worried about us already being on page 48 of this thread. Unless they removed the page limit in the update, we'll need a new OOC soon. And Mandibles is nowhere in sight. Though I suppose we could make one ourselves if it comes down to it. Still, somewhat worried about that.

I would rather we do that, then quote it into a new thread via cut-paste when MB returns, than in any way, shape or form decrease the already thin trickle of posts maintaining interest here.

I refuse to comment on whether I will or will not post an IC update later today or tonight.

For reasons.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-23, 07:43 PM
Oh look, it's vast quantities of pseudo-Slavic small-horse spam.

radmelon
2014-04-24, 12:16 AM
Well, it's a testament to my boredom and insanity that my first thought was a mental image of a pseudo-Slavic small-horse spam sandwich involving Meteor, Charcoal, and another member of the party.

I have no regrets. Spam is delicious. :smallcool:

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-24, 12:26 AM
Just happy to still have players interested here at this point, regardless of their culinary inclinations. ;)

As far as I can tell from his tumblr, Bones is both going through finals (the rough part of which starts for me in the second week of April as I attempt to zip through all my students' final projects and then continues into the third, then the fourth week I have to grade exams). He also seems to have been a little under the weather lately.

EDIT: Oh, and speaking of things culinary, Rendel Nep seems not to have logged in in about a week, so he hasn't logged in since before I tossed a message his way about the game.

Noctemwolf
2014-04-24, 02:39 AM
:smalleek:

God this is getting kinda deep. And, Thinking about it now, especially if this takes all of D&D into account, he's right.... Tartarus is a real place.

well.

You'd think Sojourner would know better... I honestly wasn't thinking much about it despite his knowledge of other planes.
huh.

Just happy to still have players interested here at this point, regardless of their culinary inclinations. ;)

As far as I can tell from his tumblr, Bones is both going through finals (the rough part of which starts for me in the second week of April as I attempt to zip through all my students' final projects and then continues into the third, then the fourth week I have to grade exams). He also seems to have been a little under the weather lately.

EDIT: Oh, and speaking of things culinary, Rendel Nep seems not to have logged in in about a week, so he hasn't logged in since before I tossed a message his way about the game.

Best IRL gets taken care of first. I'm sure this can be put on Stasis if we all still want to continue.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-24, 02:52 AM

God this is getting kinda deep. And, Thinking about it now, especially if this takes all of D&D into account, he's right.... Tartarus is a real place.

well.

You'd think Sojourner would know better... I honestly wasn't thinking much about it despite his knowledge of other planes.
huh.

Meteor isn't exactly drilled and schooled in planar knowledge. For all she knows, these things came from Tartarus.

But she is at least trying to make an honest effort here.

And jeeze, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, multiple posts in one day.

Noctemwolf
2014-04-24, 03:00 AM
Meteor isn't exactly drilled and schooled in planar knowledge. For all she knows, these things came from Tartarus.

But she is at least trying to make an honest effort here.

Fair enough, it's true.

And jeeze, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, multiple posts in one day.

what?
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-24, 03:21 AM
what?
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I've been posting practically nothing IC for weeks. Then I posted twice in one day. Er, night. It's a sign that the end of the world is coming. ;)

Theoboldi
2014-04-24, 10:58 AM

well.

huh.

Well, Charcoal does have the advantage of infernal voices constantly whispering the secrets of the afterlife in the back of his mind. (I love warlock invocations.) Though I don't mention that too often. I probably should bring it up more often.
That said, I always like trying to incorperate knowledge of a factual afterlife into my characters' worldview, when applicable. Makes for some interesting views on morality and life. Especially once they start going off the deep end. :smalltongue:

On a different note, I'm starting to feel somewhat sorry for Mandibles. Not only is he busy with studying now, after he is done with that he'll have to come back here and read through what is slowly sizing up to be 'War and Peace' in length.

Rendel Nep
2014-04-24, 04:15 PM
No I'm still here. Dunno why it says I haven't logged in, just can't think of anything to contribute.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-25, 12:18 AM
Forlorn hope NP. 1: In early use, a picked body of men, detached to the front to begin an attack, many of whom were not expected to survive; a body of skirmishers...a body of soldiers selected for some service of uncommon danger, the hope of whose safety is a forlorn one; a body of soldiers fighting a delaying action so that others might withdraw, with the implicit expectation that they would not themselves survive to do so. b. transf. and fig[I], chiefly of persons in a desperate condition. c. [I]pl. The men comprising such a body; hence, reckless bravos. d. A perilous or desperate enterprise.

Theoboldi
2014-04-25, 05:16 AM
Shunka, would you please clear out your inbox somewhat? I can't send you any messages anymore.

Also, I hope this post is at least somewhat satisfactory. It's getting somewhat difficult for me to find reasons why Charcoal would trust the orders of a pony that keeps on mocking and insulting him at every chance she gets, even when I am putting extra effort into making him try to tell her why he does the things he does in a way that even makes her look somewhat positive, and am making him try and emphasize that he wants to put his differences aside every single post. And there's the fact that she pretty much just threatened to kill him before he threatened her in any way.

At this point, I almost feel like retiring the character. He doesn't fit within the group and is clearly causing more trouble than anything else. I should probably just replace him with a more amoral character. By now, every attempt he has made to coorperate have only brought him more insults and made him more bitter. At this rate, the only route this character can go down is becoming more and more villainous. And then people complain when he does, even though I'm doing everything within my power to keep him at least somewhat reasonable and a productive member of the team. :smallannoyed:

Rendel Nep
2014-04-25, 10:12 AM
Too little, too late?

MandibleBones
2014-04-25, 11:41 AM
Let me begin with an apology. Part of the duty of a DM is to referee players, to guide them toward telling a better cooperative story, and I have failed in that — both by not discussing the infighting when it started, and especially by not being present for some time.

Part of the reason for that, as Shunka noted in a PM, is that I've had some serious financial setbacks this semester, as well as taking a much heavier load in school than usual (I am not entirely certain where the time goes each week, but I have never looked forward to summer more in my life). My mental health has also been an issue this semester, and, for that matter, I've been going through a divorce. But the truth is, that's not the whole reason I haven't been around.

I haven't watched the latest season of MLP. I haven't been on EQD since summer of 2013. I don't reblog ponies on Tumblr anymore, and I actively avoid them on Facebook. Where once, the brightly-colored unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies of Equestria brought me unmatched joy, now, images only remind me of the worst part of the Brony fandom.

I'm sick of it. I'm sick of some of the people in this fandom, and unfortunately, they are the loudest people. I'm sick of the misogyny, I'm sick of the vitriol, I'm sick of the fixation on gore porn, and I'm sick of the determination of a large portion of this fandom to twist and distort ponies into something else. I feel like many of us have forgotten what "love and tolerate" means.

It's strange. When I first came to this fandom, I was thrilled that I found people with whom I could discuss watching a show about brightly-colored ponies and friendship. I started to lose the fear of telling people I liked My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic. Now, after three years in this fandom, I have that fear again. I no longer fear they'll judge me for liking the show. I have fear they'll think I'm one of those Bronies. And most of the time I see ponies these days, I am reminded of that fear, that disgust.

The reason I was avoiding this game was the hope that I could overcome that, that I wouldn't give up on this game, with these players I enjoyed. That I could somehow find joy in something related to ponies, because I really did enjoy running this game. It's become apparent to me that I can't do that, and so I'm calling this game where it is: done.

If the rest of you want to find a new DM, I'll be glad to share whatever notes I haven't yet used, and you're all welcome to continue expanding the Bridle Wiki if it brings you joy to do so. I am sorry some of you aren't having fun, and I truly wish things could have ended differently.

Thanks again for more than a year of good times and good gaming, and I hope to see all of you in other games. I won't be running one for a while, but I do hope to play a bit.

Friendship is Magic,

Mandible Bones

radmelon
2014-04-25, 12:22 PM
I can honestly saw that this has been the best tabletop campaign I have ever played. I've never been so invested in a character, I've never roleplayed so hard, and I've never more looked forward to updates. So seeing this post saddens me greatly (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69811530/Reaction%20pics/1385087247157.gif).

I would love to continue this with some other DM, if only to keep it going, but I doubt any would be as good a DM as you were Mandible. I'm serious, you're great. Great pacing, you managed several parties at once, and you masterfully converted a published module to use pseudo-slavic small horses. I wish you the best of luck in the future.

I can't really blame you for getting sick of the fandom, the vocal (hopefully) minority can be toxic and autistic to a mind-boggling extreme. Most of my mlp-loving friends have drifted away somewhat in the past year, and I've thought of doing so myself.

That aside, this was a great game while it lasted (and it's hopefully not quite dead) and I will remember it forever.

Theoboldi
2014-04-25, 12:31 PM
Guess that means goodbye, then. I have to admit, you did a great job with this, Mandibles. The sheer amount of effort you put together for us is amazing, and I can say that my lack of fun in recent times is in no way your fault. You've been a great DM, and of the best I've played under. I'll really miss you and the wonderful work you did on this.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-25, 02:15 PM
I don't have time to make a big post right now, but I've knocked a hole in my inbox. I'm going to insert a bunch of short notes here.

You're allowed to have a hundred messages. 96 of the messages in my inbox were things about this game that I wanted to keep for reference or because I might enjoy looking back at them.

Which says something, I guess.

Bones, first...Thank you. For most of the last year this has been the most fun game I've participated in. It's been the only one where I feel like there has been multilayered character growth and where the protagonists were doing something that mattered to someone other than themselves, and those are both huge. The latter especially. Most games and most player characters end up doing things which are purely profit-oriented. I want to say a bit more so I hope you will continue following this thread for at least a few days. I am not an active participant in the fandom. I don't go to cons, I do my art (well, sometimes), for some damned reason about half a thousand people seem to like it which kind of scares me. I've seen some gore art, I've seen MUCH more porn art than gore art, but I've seen hugely more nice, normal, benevolent pony art than either porn or gore. And for whatever reason, I have yet to meet anyone nasty in the fandom...All the people who come to my streams or message me have been nice, polite, considerate, and very empathic whenever anyone talked about their problems. I continue to believe that the average person in the fandom is a good person and (just like in politics and religion) vocal minorities are ****ing everything up for everyone. Be that as it may, Bones, you have to follow your heart.

Theo, because it seems like you're confused as a player about this - practically every time Charcoal has tried 'to tell her why he does the things he does in a way that even makes her look somewhat positive, and am making him try and emphasize that he wants to put his differences aside every single post' it's reading as accusative and belittling. I don't see the positive. Unless it means there was more negative in there that got cut out. Every damned time, they talk, it seems (from my perspective) that Meteor worked pretty hard, especially this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265093-Red-Hoof-of-Doom-Adventurers-IC&p=17357371&viewfull=1#post17357371) last time (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265093-Red-Hoof-of-Doom-Adventurers-IC&p=17359100&viewfull=1#post17359100), to try to be neutral, and it gets thrown back in her face, and THEN she gets offensive. In that first post she actually started out trying to be humble about it and admitting she wasn't doing a good job.

We can go two ways from here. We can just part ways, maybe to meet again elsewhere on the forum (it is a surprisingly big forum). We can try to set up another pony game for those who are interested (I know GFawkes (Hope) recently said he was interested but didn't see how to reinsert Hope into the game.

So what we could do, if Bones is willing and we find another GM, is perhaps a partial reboot, backing up to, well, heck, we could almost start it where they are now, just rewriting the infighting and such a bit with some adjustments to characters, some reasons why they fit together the way they do, etc. If people are willing.

I said before I'm not really an active participant in the fandom. I don't even have a pony OC. But I invested scads of time studying things about archaic militaries and border conflicts when building and playing Meteor, and she had a sort of noble tragic thing going that I haven't ever gotten out of another PC, in a situation that had some depth and a feeling of danger and desperation (as I said before, it felt like what the PCs were doing mattered) that I've not encountered in another game.

So I will definitely miss her if this just falls apart here.

Again, thank you Bones, for providing the setting and encouragement for that to happen.

And thanks to the rest of you, though if people are willing I'd rather go forward than not.

Theoboldi
2014-04-25, 02:30 PM
Theo, because it seems like you're confused as a player about this - practically every time Charcoal has tried 'to tell her why he does the things he does in a way that even makes her look somewhat positive, and am making him try and emphasize that he wants to put his differences aside every single post' it's reading as accusative and belittling. I don't see the positive. Unless it means there was more negative in there that got cut out. Every damned time, they talk, it seems (from my perspective) that Meteor worked pretty hard, especially this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265093-Red-Hoof-of-Doom-Adventurers-IC&p=17357371&viewfull=1#post17357371) last time (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265093-Red-Hoof-of-Doom-Adventurers-IC&p=17359100&viewfull=1#post17359100), to try to be neutral, and it gets thrown back in her face, and THEN she gets offensive. In that first post she actually tried to be humbling about it and admit she wasn't doing a good job.

I already presented my point. I don't understand meteor any longer. Her demands have been nothing short of cryptic, and her tone constantly has become increasingly belittling and quite frankly very smug. If I may be entirely honest, lately I've just found that she became completly obnoxious. Trying to interact with her character was nothing less than a chore. Maybe you tried to portray her as humble, but it still didn't work out for me. In the end, she still pretty much was trying to threaten Charcoal into falling into line, all while keeping a grandiose and condescending tone without actually giving me, much less Charcoal himself, any clues as to what it actually was that she demanded from him. It seemed as though the only thing she would accept was a complete and total surrender to her superiority. Those last few posts were painful for me to work through, and I had no idea just what more she wanted at any given moment. It was a complete chore.

We can go two ways from here. We can just part ways, maybe to meet again elsewhere on the forum (it is a surprisingly big forum). We can try to set up another pony game for those who are interested (I know GFawkes (Hope) recently said he was interested but didn't see how to reinsert Hope into the game.

So what we could do, if Bones is willing and we find another GM, is perhaps a partial reboot, backing up to, well, heck, we could almost start it where they are now, just rewriting the infighting and such a bit with some adjustments to characters, some reasons why they fit together the way they do, etc. If people are willing.

A reboot? Maybe. But I don't want things to end like they did here. I don't want to play a Charcoal in a party together with a Meteor. Not because it wasn't fun, far from it. I enjoyed their interaction. But more often than not, I felt that all of my interactions were essentially wasted. That everything he said seemed to be completly ignored. At times it seemed as though I was pretty much talking to a wall, with nothing actually being achieved by anyone. And that eventually just wore down on me.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-25, 03:07 PM
A reboot? Maybe. But I don't want things to end like they did here. I don't want to play a Charcoal in a party together with a Meteor. Not because it wasn't fun, far from it. I enjoyed their interaction. But more often than not, I felt that all of my interactions were essentially wasted. That everything he said seemed to be completly ignored. At times it seemed as though I was pretty much talking to a wall, with nothing actually being achieved by anyone. And that eventually just wore down on me.

Yeah, as we established, a complete chore for you and I both.

What I had in mind if people were up for a reboot was two things:

1) with Hope present, Meteor wouldn't try something like that.
2) we move the discovery of the truth potions up to something captured from the first group encountered by the adventurer team (perhaps they were scouting and the sera were meant for use on ponies).

Boom. No interrogation scene. We build Charcoal & Meteor's relationship up purely on the things they did in combat, which actually was pretty cooperative, and there is no reason for the original problem. Oh, they can still misunderstand each other in the inevitable way Meteor occasionally misunderstands anybody who doesn't have a rank and specialization label tacked onto them, but it isn't the bitter "I am going to ignore this because I don't know what else to do with it." relationship that existed previously.

If we do want to do something of this sort we could perhaps check with Doxkid, who has some recent activity, and is familiar with the campaign already as a co-Gm for parts of it.

THEChanger
2014-04-25, 03:48 PM
I am not a part of the MLP fandom. I don't watch the show, and know what I know purely from proximity via the wonderful thing which is the internet. Despite this, the Red Hoof of Doom has been one of the most engaging games I have been a part of, and that is due in large part to your work, Bones. It has been a privilage to be a part of it, and I thank you. I am deeply sorry for the things which are going on in your life outside the game, and while hearing this from an anonymous person over the internet may mean very little, I wish you the best of luck.

All of that said...I will not be joining a reboot of this game. My interests, unfortunately, lie elsewhere at this time, and while I have enjoyed playing with you folks, Lord Emeraldcoat is just no longer a character of interest for me. Perhaps if we were to simply continue with the story as it is, but I do not think what interest I still have would remain through another recruitment, another DM, etc. So I wish you, my fellow warriors, adeiu, and may we meet on the fields of battle once more.

Theoboldi
2014-04-25, 03:52 PM
Yeah, as we established, a complete chore for you and I both.

What I had in mind if people were up for a reboot was two things:

1) with Hope present, Meteor wouldn't try something like that.
2) we move the discovery of the truth potions up to something captured from the first group encountered by the adventurer team (perhaps they were scouting and the sera were meant for use on ponies).

Boom. No interrogation scene. We build Charcoal & Meteor's relationship up purely on the things they did in combat, which actually was pretty cooperative, and there is no reason for the original problem. Oh, they can still misunderstand each other in the inevitable way Meteor occasionally misunderstands anybody who doesn't have a rank and specialization label tacked onto them, but it isn't the bitter "I am going to ignore this because I don't know what else to do with it." relationship that existed previously.

If we do want to do something of this sort we could perhaps check with Doxkid, who has some recent activity, and is familiar with the campaign already as a co-Gm for parts of it.

I'm still not entirely sure whether that is going to end well. Someone with the moralistic inhibitions of Charcoal (Let's face it. He doesn't just have a stick, but an entire log up his arse.) and someone who is as 'ends-justify-the-means-y' as Meteor are a recipe for disaster. It's like putting dynamite and fire in the same room. We can make this one incident unhappen, but I'm not sure whether something similar won't still come up in the future.

Maybe I could have Charcoal take a more cynical outlook from the beginning of this reboot? Him being somewhat jaded by his constant contact with otherworldly horrors of the grand uncaring ccosmos, and all that? It seems much safer to me than just removing a single incident to me. But that's all just theoretical, of course. First, we need to see whether we can pony up (pun fully intended) a DM for this reboot. And all those who would want to join. You seem to be a tad bit better connected in that regard, but I'd be happy to help if I can.

GFawkes
2014-04-25, 04:14 PM
I'm never sure where to start with these things, even with Shunka's assist in reintroduction. I figure I owe everyone an apology for suddenly vanishing last year. The two keywords in what happened are 'hospital' and 'psychological', followed by a long period of an awkwardness/avoidance loop.

Secondly, congratulations. I've only seen one other campaign go on for even close to this long. Applause all around.

On this reboot idea, that could work. I'd PM'd Bones about a few ideas to continue back when we started, and I'll pass them on to our new DM, if we choose to continue

I said before I'm not really an active participant in the fandom. I don't even have a pony OC. But I invested scads of time studying things about archaic militaries and border conflicts when building and playing Meteor, and she had a sort of noble tragic thing going that I haven't ever gotten out of another PC, in a situation that had some depth and a feeling of danger and desperation (as I said before, it felt like what the PCs were doing mattered) that I've not encountered in another game.

So I will definitely miss her if this just falls apart here.

Again, thank you Bones, for providing the setting and encouragement for that to happen.

I have/had a similar situation with Hope. It was shortly before I made her that I'd learned not to get too attached to characters, and Hope was, well, my hope that it wasn't a rule I should follow. Just about every other character I've made, with a few exceptions, has been a roughly interchangable build. Hope was one of the few I'd actually call a character, more than just data on a sheet*. That's partially why, if we continue, I'd prefer to keep the same party. Yes, there were issues with the group, but the fact that you (it doesn't feel right to include myself) made progress despite those proves that it works on some level. Shunka actually told me that if Hope had been around, Meteor might have been more gentle due to character growth. Hell, I've got a scene planned that only requires the group be camping and Meteor be on watch for character growth to happen.

There's more I want to say, but I have no idea how to say it, so I'll end there for now. I did peek back at the thread starting from when I vanished, so I'm relatively caught up.

*Relevant (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0610.html)

MandibleBones
2014-04-25, 04:39 PM
First, thank you everyone for the outpouring of support. You remind me why I loved this game. Second, while my previous opinions still stand, you all give me hope that I might find joy with ponies again. Sadly, I still have neither the time nor ability to continue to run this game, regardless.

If someone else is willing to run this game, even for just a while, I fully support a short reboot —*or even a retcon. I would be interested in playing, actually, if someone else were running. Let me send Doxkid a PM and see if he's interested in this.

Could I get a show of hands of people interested in a reboot / retcon?

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-25, 05:00 PM
I am not a part of the MLP fandom. I don't watch the show, and know what I know purely from proximity via the wonderful thing which is the internet. Despite this, the Red Hoof of Doom has been one of the most engaging games I have been a part of, and that is due in large part to your work, Bones. It has been a privilage to be a part of it, and I thank you. I am deeply sorry for the things which are going on in your life outside the game, and while hearing this from an anonymous person over the internet may mean very little, I wish you the best of luck.

All of that said...I will not be joining a reboot of this game. My interests, unfortunately, lie elsewhere at this time, and while I have enjoyed playing with you folks, Lord Emeraldcoat is just no longer a character of interest for me. Perhaps if we were to simply continue with the story as it is, but I do not think what interest I still have would remain through another recruitment, another DM, etc. So I wish you, my fellow warriors, adeiu, and may we meet on the fields of battle once more.

Thank you for playing, I enjoyed your presence. It's possible we might not require another reboot or another DM, if Doxkid is up for it, as Doxkid is already a co-DM in the game. But if you'd rather part ways regardless...It has been a pleasure, and I'm sorry there wasn't more, and less tense, interaction between Emeraldcoat and Meteor. There was a lot of potential there.

I do hope you enjoy whatever it is you do next. :)

Could I get a show of hands of people interested in a reboot / retcon?

Bones, if you ask me (which I know you didn't, sorry) I would recommend just enjoying them for what they are again. Watch the shows and enjoy them. If you enjoy some of the art the fandom has produced, continue to do so. But be cautious about immersing yourself in the fandom because, well, just like all fandoms, it has its splinter factions, its inner politicking, conflicting views and outright trolling. But I'd just go back to the roots of the show, because that's where all the good stuff started.

Okay, rework (retcon/reboot/whatever). Definitely interested.

If we go and retcon that Hope was 'always there' then that'd significantly affect Meteor's character (for the better, I mean).

And maybe we can both nudge our characters in that sense, Theo: Meteor gains more hesitancy about using "any means" due to Hope, and Charcoal is perhaps a bit more flexible due to whatever. We un-grit the campaign a little bit and lighten it a touch.

Hope could be a reason for changing Charcoal's behavior, too. There is an entire category of 'war story' which revolves around the jaded combatants being reminded of what it is they're fighting to protect. And Hope is, well, VERY OPTIMALLY NAMED in that sort of a story environment.

So we'd sort of have to handwave/retcon some of the prior interaction. We'd end up with a party where Meteor was both more cautious and more constrained by Hope's presence, and perhaps Charcoal was a bit more willing to flex to keep Hope alive (it is impossible to avoid inadvertent semi-puns with that name, isn't it?) and the lack of a bitterly antagonistic relationship between those two would probably make all of the other characters more comfortable with participating in discussions about what to do and how best to do it, as well as giving the party a slightly lighter (do I have to say, more ____-ful?) flavor.

How does that sound?

(Let's face it, putting a Magical Girl Filly in the party immediately has some effects on the overall flavor. Hell, it probably even changes the mood-lighting a bit and increases the use of pink in the scenery...)

Theoboldi
2014-04-25, 05:14 PM
How does that sound?

It sounds nice enough. If it all works out as planned, that is. But I will have to change Charcoal's personality around somewhat. He started this campaign knowing what he was trying to protect, and then slowly lost the believe in that because of the things that happened. And even as a more jaded version, those ideals would still be important to him. Though this way, he could probably stand disappointment a tad bit better. It still probably is a bad idea, but it could work out.

But yeah. I'm definitly up for a reboot. Though I'll need some time to think about what to do exactly about Charcoal to make things less viotile in it.

Rendel Nep
2014-04-25, 07:28 PM
I'm still mostly keen. Thanks Manible bones for probably the best Play-by-post game I've had so far.

GFawkes
2014-04-25, 10:06 PM
If we reboot, I think I can put in two short scenes, one with Meteor and one with Charcoal, that should change their outlooks. I'd be willing to make the threads, though they'd be public ones. All I really need to know is if these two situations happened: Meteor stood watch while we camped, and Charcoal went shopping. If those two things happened, I can get a scene rolling that'll develop them.

In any case, up for a reboot.

Theoboldi
2014-04-26, 03:38 AM
If we reboot, I think I can put in two short scenes, one with Meteor and one with Charcoal, that should change their outlooks. I'd be willing to make the threads, though they'd be public ones. All I really need to know is if these two situations happened: Meteor stood watch while we camped, and Charcoal went shopping. If those two things happened, I can get a scene rolling that'll develop them.

Well, depends on where in the timeline it happens. The very first thing Charcoal ever did in the campaign was going shopping, so there's that. But either way, I think it should be easy to imagine a time in his life in bridle during which he went shopping. I take it you would want me to play Charcoal as he was at the beginning of this campaign in that scene?

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-26, 03:34 PM
Just to clarify and provide a frame of reference, this is what I am hoping we can achieve in terms of changing the interactions between Meteor and Charcoal so both characters are more fun to play and people aren't forced to sit around watching "Meteor and Charcoal Cage Match Round 4":

While I keep using phrasing talking about the initial interrogation scene, my thought is not that we are just 'erasing one scene', we are 'reworking the way they interacted when they very first met' and then we are taking into account how that changed ALL of their interactions from then on out.

So as I see it, "the very first time they meet" they don't get into a fuss over the prisoners, because Meteor never does the interrogation the way it happened originally. We either (1) insert the capture of the elixirs of truth so the party already had them, in which case it is just a matter of asking questions, hooray, and so Meteor doesn't DO anything that even vaguely looks torturish, or (2) use Hope and Miel's combined capabilities to do the thing they did previously to substitute for it in the jail, which Meteor never saw, and once again, is nothing that is like torture.

And if Meteor and Charcoal don't get into that initial conflict, then there isn't anything to conflict over after that. We look at what happened otherwise: well, there was a battle...And they both did their thing pretty well in that fight.

So instead of leaving scene 1 with animosity they leave scene 1 with mutual respect.

And we then simply gloss forward a little bit through the bit at the Keep, and up to this point, and simply say 'And because there wasn't that argument, the two converse occasionally about stuff, Meteor does listen to Charcoal's suggestions and implements them when they're the best ones, for instance in the courtyard and when she talks to him it is on the equal level she took with Bookend and Sojourner and Emeraldcoat and so on, and that will continue forward.'

Because not that much has happened in terms of the party doing things since the interrogation. I see it something like this:

1. Interrogation. - either consisted of Hope being so nice to them they had trouble not answering her or use of elixirs of truth
2. Battle against Kath - there was no initial conflict between the two, after the battle, Meteor is relieved that all of the newcomers are combat capable and did a good job and worked with together with the original group.
3. Party moves to Keep and searches it - since there was no prior argument/conflict between the two, the conversation in the courtyard isn't snarky, it's jsut about what they found so far and where they should check next.
4. Party decides to head to bridge - no arguments, just listening to input comparing thoughts on what they should do.
5. Party encounters elephant - all that's happened there is the arguments which relied on the Interrogation happening...So that never happened. Everybody enjoys a meal around the fire and instead we talk about possibilities with the bridge.

We change part 1, then we 'roll that change forward'. Meteor doesn't have any reason to argue with or dismiss Charcoal's participation in the search, Charcoal's discovery of the bones and trickery becomes an 'oh, that's how they did that!' moment instead of a confrontation. And so on and so forth.

Basically, every conversation the two had since that initial fuss, we glance back at and just say either (1) if all it was was them railing at each other, it didn't happen or (2) if it was an argument over something else (like the fake ghost of the Keep) then it wasn't an argument, it was just them discussing how it happened in an atmosphere of mutual respect.

So while we're talking about 'rewriting the one scene' that rewrite will unravel all of the problems since, if we do it well. And when we are done, the two will be working on a footing of respect instead of hatred.

It's every darn time travel movie ever. Go back, fix the mistake, happily ever after.

That help? :)

Thoughts?

Theoboldi
2014-04-26, 03:54 PM
Well, it does sound nice enough. Nice enough to fix the inter-party relationships into a working collective. I'm still somewhat worried that events may repeat themselves in some other fashion, but I guess we can now see such stuff coming and try to avoid it. Hopefully.

Too bad, though. I almost was looking forward to using 'jaded demonhunter-Charcoal'. :smalltongue:

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-26, 04:14 PM
Well, it does sound nice enough. Nice enough to fix the inter-party relationships into a working collective. I'm still somewhat worried that events may repeat themselves in some other fashion, but I guess we can now see such stuff coming and try to avoid it. Hopefully.

Too bad, though. I almost was looking forward to using 'jaded demonhunter-Charcoal'. :smalltongue:

If we see it coming, we can hash it through in PM before it gets out of hand and keep it at a "low simmer" instead of "the kitchen just exploded."

Noctemwolf
2014-04-26, 09:17 PM
I Don't have much to add to what everyone's said. Save that I'm sorry to see you go mandible. Still, yea do what yea need to do.

I'd be more than willing to keep this going. I've loved it, even when I've been quiet. However this wants to work out, I'm all for it.

radmelon
2014-04-27, 02:52 AM
I'd definitely like to continue, and I do think that the proposed retcon would help smooth things over immensely. As much as I love the roleplaying that's been going on (more than any other game I've ever played) I must confess that I feel that the current state of affairs between the two makes teamwork impossible.

Doxkid
2014-04-27, 04:12 AM
I return. Sorry for being MIA for so long guys; I accidentally deleted my sub during a mass purge of old threads/games and didn't notice this was missing for...quite some time apparently.

I'll be watching over things and doing my best to ensure the game does not end yet.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-27, 04:43 AM
I return. Sorry for being MIA for so long guys; I accidentally deleted my sub during a mass purge of old threads/games and didn't notice this was missing for...quite some time apparently.

I'll be watching over things and doing my best to ensure the game does not end yet.

Is that something like 'taking over GMing duty?' or...?

Doxkid
2014-04-27, 10:41 AM
Almost. I'm currently the last resort, but if we cannot find someone else to run the game (which would most likely require a LOT of my help) then I'd be willing to try DMing for you guys.

MandibleBones
2014-04-27, 11:16 AM
My request, Doxkid? Try it. Not sure whether or how much my input is worth at this point, but I'd much rather see you running it than someone who hasn't been part of the game: you know what's going on. You've got six players willing to reboot and play with you (seven, if you count me as a player), and the know-how to get it done.

Theoboldi
2014-04-29, 07:12 AM
At the risk of going to page 50 of this thread, I would like to repeat what Mandibles has said. Doxkid, you are currently our best shot, not only because you've been here since the earliest days and have our trust to do this well, but also since you expect any new Dm we would find to need a lot of your help anyways. Of course, if you don't have any time for it, or wouldn't have fun, just tell us. If you really don't want to, then it's about time we who still want to play this need to get moving and find ourselves a new DM.

Doxkid
2014-04-29, 11:05 AM
Alright guys, let's do this. Just give me a day to finish preparing for the last major test before finals start and then I'll get to work.

I'll be free Wednesday afternoon and we can proceed from there.

Shunka Warakin
2014-04-29, 02:58 PM
I know the thread pagecount warning says "around 50 pages..." so since for some stupid reason I can only PM up to 5 people and there are 7 actives, I'm going to just go ahead and roll us on to page 50, with the understanding that a new thread needs to be created ASAP.

Thanks Doxkid, VERY much appreciated. This campaign has lasted a long time and I'm sure it says something about player enjoyment and interest that we're willing to go through these gyrations rather than let it just fall over due to complications IC and OOC.

Just FYI everybody, the next three weeks are final projects consultations and finals grading sessions (up all night, raw, raw, raw) so I will be very busy but I will try to drop a line in here and there.

Doxkid
2014-04-30, 04:59 PM
As of now we have three important "I"s that we need to take care of.

1- Inter-team hostility.
2- Introducing Mandible's character.
3- Invasion prevention.

Since I have some free time I'll get to work on points 1 and 2 today. 3 will come once I've updated my notes, but I'm not exactly going out to the disco during the weekend so we'll definitely be moving forward by then.

Sending out a volley of messages in a few minutes.

Doxkid
2014-05-04, 07:20 PM
I think the relationship problems can be dealt with by reintroducing Hope while we bring in Mandible's character. If anyone is opposed to that feel free to PM me and we can work things out. With that said, Alright, there are two things that we need to address:

1: How is your character generation going Mandible?
2: GFawkes, are you still interested in playing?

GFawkes
2014-05-04, 09:57 PM
Still interested, ready, willing, and able. And any other preparedness based adjectives you want to add in as well.

EDIT: I should probably level Hope up. Any notes on new gear/wealth she'll have?

MandibleBones
2014-05-05, 03:02 PM
Character generation is not going well, due to Dead Week and Finals Week, and a convention last weekend. I will try to get that done today. Thank you for the patience!

Amendment: here is Soaring Grace (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=883357), who seems to be an appropriate former non-player character to accompany these fine ponies.

Doxkid
2014-05-06, 09:03 AM
After speaking with several of you it seems like the best bet for keeping the party in a nice, happy bundle is to do a firm RetCon that outright removes some of the relationship problems we've faced.

Shining Hope never left so enhanced interrogation was never needed, Soaring Grace is with you guys, Meteor + Charcoal are still best-buddies and I haven't spent two days desperately writing and then rewriting a 7 page essay about the Hero ofthe novel Passing by Nella Larson (which is now available by request through PM).

Mandible you should have roughly 14000 gold by my quick estimate. I'll do an proper inventory later, but that seems about right from what I've tallied.

Shunka I've going to mug you for that retcon idea/info and, after I play around in the IC thread for a bit doing tallies and guesswork, I'll figure out just how much everything should change.

I'll rescan the private messages I've received and address each individually today if I didnt do so already through this message.

MandibleBones
2014-05-06, 09:24 AM
Is that 14,000 additional gold? Because I've spent WBL for a 7th level character already.

Shunka Warakin
2014-05-07, 07:38 PM
The other name hadn't quite connected until I used it earlier today in a PM having to do with party roles and such, but...

I just realized, we're going to be proceeding henceforth with both Hope and Grace.

Now all we need are a pair of earth pony bards named Style and Panache.

GFawkes
2014-05-07, 10:42 PM
So I relooked through Hope's sheet (and boosted it to level 7), and the base class, and found two things:

1. We don't have to hide death from her, yay!
2. She now gives AC in an aura, double yay!
3. If we have interparty conflict that doesn't get resolved quickly, she loses her powers. Poo.

Explanation on the last one. As part of her Magical Girl Code (not really called that), she gets to define the parameters of it. I chose that one of her core tenants is Unity, or that things are best done with friendly groups. The downside is that, like most codes, she loses her powers if she breaks it. However, as part of the Magical Girl's Code, she loses her powers permanently; not even Atonement works. There might be some way to twist a Wish or Miracle though.

On another note, we should probably get a new OOC up.

Noctemwolf
2014-05-08, 03:02 PM
I eagerly await the new OOC thread =3

Rendel Nep
2014-05-08, 06:42 PM
I also eagerly await the new OOC thread and further the demise of this one. :smallbiggrin:

Shunka Warakin
2014-05-10, 04:40 PM
3. If we have interparty conflict that doesn't get resolved quickly, she loses her powers. Poo.

Explanation on the last one. As part of her Magical Girl Code (not really called that), she gets to define the parameters of it. I chose that one of her core tenants is Unity, or that things are best done with friendly groups. The downside is that, like most codes, she loses her powers if she breaks it. However, as part of the Magical Girl's Code, she loses her powers permanently; not even Atonement works. There might be some way to twist a Wish or Miracle though.

Is this something that's part of the class that you chose previously along the lines of "Friendship is Magic", or something that you are patching in as "a means to keep Meteor and Charcoal from killing each other"? Because I think we're going with a sizable retcon (the torture incident never happened...So the entire approach the characters took to each other wasn't flavored by it) to fix that one, so if you feel you are in any fashion having to twist your character to make it happen, then no, you don't have to.

Only 19 more posts until someone shuts the universe down!

MandibleBones
2014-05-10, 08:16 PM
If Doxkid hasn't made a new thread by the time we're at the end of our posting limit, I will, but I want to give the DM a chance to do it :-)

GFawkes
2014-05-10, 09:56 PM
Is this something that's part of the class that you chose previously along the lines of "Friendship is Magic", or something that you are patching in as "a means to keep Meteor and Charcoal from killing each other"? Because I think we're going with a sizable retcon (the torture incident never happened...So the entire approach the characters took to each other wasn't flavored by it) to fix that one, so if you feel you are in any fashion having to twist your character to make it happen, then no, you don't have to.

It's something I chose for the 'Friendship is Magic' approach back when the game started. Looks like it was more important than I thought.

Theoboldi
2014-05-10, 10:23 PM
So. Uh. Since we're all waiting and have nothing better to do, did anyone of those still watching the show see today's episode? Cause I'm getting a feeling that at least a bit of the stuff in our dear DM's notes was contradicted today.

Holy Buck. Tirek. Effin' Tirek returned. He took Discord's powers. Discord's! And then Twilight had a Dragonball Z battle with him. She was punched through a mountain! A goddamn mountain! And she won! And then she and her friends turned into the pony equivalent of super saiyajins and blasted the crap out of him!

So, how are they gonna top that next season?

Shunka Warakin
2014-05-11, 01:24 AM
I'll be watching it in about an hour, so I'll read this later.

(But I don't believe in having to force fan stories to retroactively fit the show. If an official episode came up where they all went off to Stalliongrad and it turned out to look like the Hawaiian islands with a bunch of ponies lounging around on the beach sipping Mai Tais, I wouldn't suddenly make Meteor a surfer mare.)

Theoboldi
2014-05-11, 09:06 AM
Heh. Don't worry, I'm not one to do that either. Gotta cut the writers of those things some slack, they are after all doing their best to fit within the canon as is. And even when they don't, it can be a legitimate stylistic choice. At the very least, the writers of the show are keeping to their usual policy of being incredibly vague about loads of stuff, so that's good.

Still, now I kinda want to see surfer mare Meteor. Because I find the thought hilarious beyond end.

MandibleBones
2014-05-11, 03:13 PM
So. Uh. Since we're all waiting and have nothing better to do, did anyone of those still watching the show see today's episode? Cause I'm getting a feeling that at least a bit of the stuff in our dear DM's notes was contradicted today.

Holy Buck. Tirek. Effin' Tirek returned. He took Discord's powers. Discord's! And then Twilight had a Dragonball Z battle with him. She was punched through a mountain! A goddamn mountain! And she won! And then she and her friends turned into the pony equivalent of super saiyajins and blasted the crap out of him!

So, how are they gonna top that next season?

Not ruined, just... consider this game an AU.

Shunka Warakin
2014-05-11, 04:53 PM
I'll be watching it in about an hour, so I'll read this later.

(But I don't believe in having to force fan stories to retroactively fit the show. If an official episode came up where they all went off to Stalliongrad and it turned out to look like the Hawaiian islands with a bunch of ponies lounging around on the beach sipping Mai Tais, I wouldn't suddenly make Meteor a surfer mare.)

I still haven't had time to see it. *Sniffle* We only got caught up as far as the Trade Fair last night.

Which was kind of predictable, and also made me a bit grumpy. RD does have a one-track mind, yes, but you'd think that whole 'Loyalty' thing might have caught up before Fluttershy was being led off in chains er, was already packed and heading for the road. I mean, I know that most of the Mane 6's real problems end up being struggles between Want and whatever their Element is (was!), but still, that was a bit over the top. I expected the anvil to drop when FS's bear call did...Not five minutes later. Of course, then the whole deal-breaker thing wouldn't have happened as it did. Mweh.

I am also VERY disappointed that green-eyed Rarity in the episode before that wasn't a return-of-Chrysalis-marker. Otherwise didn't mind it so much. For a Spike-centric episode it was about average.

Leap of Faith wasn't too bad. More Granny Smith is always a + in my book. And her overconfidence, well...We've seen it before, just not empowered by false belief.

I actually really liked the Sweetie Belle episode before that. A lot. I liked Luna's Dickensian intervention, and I liked pretty much all of it except for how Sapphire Shores acted. She seemed a lot less high-and-mighty in previous encounters.

Yeah, I have not been devoting the necessary amount of time to pony lately. :(

Theoboldi
2014-05-11, 08:00 PM
Not ruined, just... consider this game an AU.

That's as much as I expected. And honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. This way, there's maybe still some curveballs waiting for me down the line. Non-canon stuff is pretty darn useful for surprising players, you know.

Then again, I'm one of the guys who still prefers Vinyl Scratch with red eyes, so take what I'm saying on matters of canon and implication of such with a grain of salt.

MandibleBones
2014-05-12, 10:33 AM
It's actually on my to-watch list after Finals are over. Maybe watching it without some of the fandom ridiculousness will reinvigorate my joy with ponies.

Noctemwolf
2014-05-14, 01:09 AM
It's actually on my to-watch list after Finals are over. Maybe watching it without some of the fandom ridiculousness will reinvigorate my joy with ponies.

Good to hear. ^^

So how is everyone?

I haven't seen the season finale either, but one of these days...

Doxkid
2014-05-18, 05:04 PM
Finals are done and I've evaded death for yet another boy's night out.

Time to get everything started in this new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?349613-Red-Hoof-of-Doom-OOC-2&p=17486250#post17486250).