PDA

View Full Version : Any good space fighter sims?

Maquise
2012-12-08, 11:12 PM
I was wondering if there was ANYTHING in this genre currently on the market. Or rather specifically, that don't require a joystick. I own both Starlancer, and X-Wing Alliance, but can't really play either without a joystick, and I can't afford to get one just for those games.

AdmiralCheez
2012-12-09, 01:49 AM
If you're into Battlestar Galactica, there's a free, fan-made flight simulator out there called Diaspora (http://diaspora.hard-light.net/). I've played a little of it, and I've enjoyed what I've seen, considering it's a fan project. No joystick needed, as it works well with keyboard and mouse, but I think they included the option for those that have one.

Other than that, I can't remember the last time I saw a space flight sim being released.

factotum
2012-12-09, 02:43 AM
The X3 games can be played with mouse and keyboard, but they're not purely space fighter sims--they're Elite-style games where you're expected to trade, fight, build and think your way to loadsamoney and an empire.

If you're specifically after the mission-based space fighter sim of old, I don't think they exist, unfortunately. Last one I remember playing was Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos, which was (a) frustratingly difficult and (b) unknown if it can be played without a joystick.

Partysan
2012-12-09, 03:04 AM
Freelancer was built for mouse controls and I found that to work very well. I also enjoyed the game a lot, but unfortunately it is severely lacking in deeper tactical options as there were for example in the old Freespace games (targeting and disabling ship subsystems etc.). Still, you might like it and it shouldn't be too expensive by now since it's from 2003. It has minor trade components but the focus is clearly on fights and exploration, the trade system is rather primitive and completely optional (although in the lategame after the campaign it pays off to do a bit of trading to be able to afford the best ships).

Ailurus
2012-12-09, 12:43 PM
Freespace 2. Yeah, the base game is 13 years old or something, but its still getting updated via the SCP, high-res texture packs have been created, and people are still creating new campaigns and mods for it. And the age means its $10 on GoG. Plus, its playable with keyboard and mouse, or even just keyboard (numpad controls movement and power management, main portion of the keyboard controls acceleration, targeting and firing). Or you can use keyboard and mouse, though I personally think just-keyboard gives you better control.

tensai_oni
2012-12-09, 01:18 PM
Freespace 2. Yeah, the base game is 13 years old or something, but its still getting updated via the SCP, high-res texture packs have been created, and people are still creating new campaigns and mods for it. And the age means its $10 on GoG. Plus, its playable with keyboard and mouse, or even just keyboard (numpad controls movement and power management, main portion of the keyboard controls acceleration, targeting and firing). Or you can use keyboard and mouse, though I personally think just-keyboard gives you better control.

This. Freespace 2 is an obvious answer, and for a reason. It's pretty fantastic and has a great atmosphere. It's definitely playable without a joystick - I finished it twice using just the keyboard, so I would know.

But if you feel pressed to play Freespace 1 before its sequel... don't. It's a much simpler, less polished game that misses things which made F2 great, and is even BORING at times. No need to play it to understand the sequel's plot either. You'll get all the exposition you need.

Poison_Fish
2012-12-09, 02:29 PM
Strike Suit Zero (http://youtu.be/Z1t99KRs39I) is supposed to come out early next year. While not currently on the market, it's a modern space fighter sim. That is like a unicorn. I don't know how good it will be, but so far it looks pretty decent if you are ok with switching between fighter and mecha.

Philistine
2012-12-09, 04:09 PM
Also, Star Citizen (http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/) is supposed to be coming - at some point in the future, I don't see a projected release date in the FAQ - from Chris Roberts.

Aotrs Commander
2012-12-09, 05:00 PM
This. Freespace 2 is an obvious answer, and for a reason. It's pretty fantastic and has a great atmosphere. It's definitely playable without a joystick - I finished it twice using just the keyboard, so I would know.

But if you feel pressed to play Freespace 1 before its sequel... don't. It's a much simpler, less polished game that misses things which made F2 great, and is even BORING at times. No need to play it to understand the sequel's plot either. You'll get all the exposition you need.

There is a mod out there that lets you play the FS1 campaign in FS2, which is probably your best bet, if like, me, having played FS2, you were curious about the first game.

tensai_oni
2012-12-09, 06:40 PM
It's not mechanics I have issues with in Freespace 1. It's the atmosphere and mission pacing.

The first mission of Freespace 2 has you deploy to rescue a civilian refugee convoy just as it is being attacked by rebels. Then they send in reinforcements, including bombers. Then they send in a capital ship. And THEN, when the situation looks hopeless and you're ridiculously outmatched, suddenly a friendly capital ship arrives and annihilates the enemy. It's dramatic, it's very fast-paced and in the end makes you feel like a hero.

The first mission of Freespace 1 is shooting down 12 enemies hidden in 3-man groups in an otherwise featureless asteroid field. It's even described as boring and not having much importance in-game. The only event that happens is an enemy ace appearing, who you can either shoot down or just ignore without any consequences or even a comment bigger than a single sentence in the debrief.

The rest of each campaign follows these established rules. Dynamically changing situation, dramatic and emotional events for Freespace 2. Boring, static tedium for Freespace 1. The only change of pacing is when Shivans appear for the first time, but by the time you face them for real you already have systems to target and damage them, so all the tension is gone. And their giant capital ship debuts and for the large portion of the campaign exists entirely offscreen - FAIL.

iyaerP
2012-12-11, 06:40 PM
The X3 games have already been mentioned, as has freespace, my other favorite, but there is also Dark Star One. And while it isn't great, I did enjoy what I played of it at a friend's place

Gnoman
2012-12-11, 07:10 PM
It's not mechanics I have issues with in Freespace 1. It's the atmosphere and mission pacing.

The first mission of Freespace 2 has you deploy to rescue a civilian refugee convoy just as it is being attacked by rebels. Then they send in reinforcements, including bombers. Then they send in a capital ship. And THEN, when the situation looks hopeless and you're ridiculously outmatched, suddenly a friendly capital ship arrives and annihilates the enemy. It's dramatic, it's very fast-paced and in the end makes you feel like a hero.

The first mission of Freespace 1 is shooting down 12 enemies hidden in 3-man groups in an otherwise featureless asteroid field. It's even described as boring and not having much importance in-game. The only event that happens is an enemy ace appearing, who you can either shoot down or just ignore without any consequences or even a comment bigger than a single sentence in the debrief.

The rest of each campaign follows these established rules. Dynamically changing situation, dramatic and emotional events for Freespace 2. Boring, static tedium for Freespace 1. The only change of pacing is when Shivans appear for the first time, but by the time you face them for real you already have systems to target and damage them, so all the tension is gone. And their giant capital ship debuts and for the large portion of the campaign exists entirely offscreen - FAIL.

You can damage the Shivans with your default weapon (it's quite possible to shoot one down the first time you encounter them, just very hard), and they still massively outmatch you for a significant portion of the game after that. After you get good enough equipment to take on the basic Shivan ships without too much difficulty, they pull out the God-mode Dragon fighter, and you're in a world of hurt. I also rather like the way that tech is implemented in FS1 (It's a huge deal when you first get shields, for example), and the sudden enemy switch was great when it first showed up.

Triaxx
2012-12-12, 07:36 AM
Love Freelancer. Love the X-series. Just note that the Freelancer style mouse control for X started with Terran Conflict. Before that it's not as nice.

I also like X-Com Interceptor. Not a great X-Com game, but an amazing space sim.