PDA

View Full Version : playing from 3.5 - 5

fantomu
2012-12-08, 11:45 PM
Ok we started in a 3.5 game and, were going through the world as it changes into 4th and then 5th. I'm playing a budding a shadow pouncer but I dont see any way to create it in 4th. There isnt enough info to make it in 5th yet anyone have any ideas?

Tegu8788
2012-12-09, 12:24 AM
Mechanically, what do you want to do?

Hawk7915
2012-12-09, 02:56 PM
Assassin isn't the strongest striker in the books, but it is a blade-wielding, teleporting, sneaky, back-stabbing killer which is what comes to mind for me when you say Shadow Pouncer. The right Paragon Path (especially Long Night Scion) can let you have a ton of fun teleporting and dealing free damage and making multiple attacks in one round.

If your shadow pouncer is a bit more on the Arcane side of things, Hexblade might be a better choice for you, still going into Long Night Scion.

Kurald Galain
2012-12-09, 03:39 PM
Ok we started in a 3.5 game and, were going through the world as it changes into 4th and then 5th. I'm playing a budding a shadow pouncer but I dont see any way to create it in 4th.

How about a Fey Pact warlock? There's also a warlock paragon path that's all about teleporting.

Swordmage can also be made to work, in particular an eladrin swordmage.

vasharanpaladin
2012-12-09, 05:17 PM
Feycharger's closest, but you'll find that "shadow pouncers" don't exist in 4th and will not exist in 5th. 'Tis a bad, bad time to be a D&D fan...

fantomu
2012-12-13, 02:10 AM
Mechanically, what do you want to do?

well the build im working with right now is a rogue fighter swordsage shadowlord mix that gets 4 full attacks in a round at the higher levels.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-13, 03:18 AM
I don't think Feycharger works (for Shadowpouncing purposes) anymore after the nerf.

vasharanpaladin
2012-12-13, 03:21 AM
I don't think Feycharger works (for Shadowpouncing purposes) anymore after the nerf.

That's why I said "closest," yes. The point is that the OP's set himself up for disappointment; his chosen build cannot exist post-3.5e.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-13, 04:47 AM
That's why I said "closest," yes. The point is that the OP's set himself up for disappointment; his chosen build cannot exist post-3.5e.

It could before they nerfed Feycharger :smalltongue:

vasharanpaladin
2012-12-13, 02:57 PM
It could before they nerfed Feycharger :smalltongue:

Exactly. :smallwink:

Tegu8788
2012-12-13, 03:10 PM
well the build im working with right now is a rogue fighter swordsage shadowlord mix that gets 4 full attacks in a round at the higher levels.

Ok, you named a bunch of classes, then gave one example of a mechanic that doesn't exist anymore.

Use small words, and try again. I'm assuming you mean that you want to make a lot of stabs at bad guys.

vasharanpaladin
2012-12-13, 04:05 PM
Ok, you named a bunch of classes, then gave one example of a mechanic that doesn't exist anymore.

Use small words, and try again. I'm assuming you mean that you want to make a lot of stabs at bad guys.

Close. It's a build that teleports as part of a charge and gets multiple attacks at the end of it. There used to be a few builds that could so something similar in 4e (Under the names "Slasher" and "Feycharger"), but they all got nerfed into oblivion.

...I take that back. Feycharger still works, it's just one shot per encounter now.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-12-13, 04:39 PM
Twin Strike Ranger? Or possibly a Half-Elf Avenger who takes a dilettante power. In Paragon Tier, there's a feat that lets them turn the dilettante power into an At-Will.

So before Paragon, you could be an Avenger who Twin Strikes once per encounter. At Paragon, you could do it as many times per encounter as you wanted. That's four attack rolls against your Oath of Enmity target, and Avengers are divine assassins; you could easily be in the service of the Raven Queen. Takes care of the shadow stuff.

You could grab a magic item for the teleporting, but I think there's also Avenger powers that might cover it...