PDA

View Full Version : Maverick of the Outlands - The North Expedition

Aldurin
2012-12-09, 03:49 PM
This thread is for Medic!, Urist, Moranica, TaiLiu and white rider. Other players should refer to the South Expedition thread for posting and actions.

Riding away from the Arcopolis capitol, a cloaked man looks over his shoulder at the city. He knew this would be his last time to return and live in peace, and that he would not be alone on his next visit. The ambient noise soothes his thoughts, the clopping of the hooves of his horse, the metallic clinking of his sword hilt against his armor, and the sound of the air rushing by his face. He had achieved what no one else had even dreamed of doing before. It wasn't exactly how he planned it to go, but in retrospect it may be even better this way.

Maverick of the Outlands: Chapter 1

The heavy metallic noise of elite soldiers in heavy armor marching through the palace was even louder than usual, most of the off-duty watch was more than happy to work overtime to ensure less damage in this time of crisis. Each of you walk up the stairs to the king's chamber, some faces in the group are familiar to some, and the stairs are well known by a couple of you. Entering the King's chamber, the new head of the Elite Guard guides you over to a door on the left side of the room, a chamber used for private discussions for important manners. Before entering, each of you are shaken by the sight of the princess and queen on the floor, killed so shortly before that their blood is still pooled on the ornate marble floor. An elvish woman in white robes is kneeling over one of them, whispering an incantation for a divine spell. When she finishes, her faces becomes even more sullen and she looks over to a man in dark blue robes next to her, not saying a word as the statement is clear to both of them.

Entering the side chamber you see the king and the general of the border guard in quieted discussion. The king's face is still soaked from tears. The two people from the main chamber follow in behind you and close the door. The king whispers something into the ear of the general and exits the chamber. The head of the guard motions for you to sit down at the table as he and the other court personell head to the front of the room.

The general begins the briefing, "I'm General Timeous, commander of the Western defense company of the military. The others are Ellina, the court Cleric, Zimian, the court Arcanist, and the new general of the Royal Guard, Marcus. I'm glad that each of you has volunteered on such short notice with only what little information we feel is proper for the public at this point." He nods to General Marcus.

Marcus takes over for him, "Roughly 3 hours ago, the former General of the guard, Maverick Steelheart, entered the king's chamber, killing the queen and princess and severely wounding the king before the rest of us could intervene. Upon talking with the king, who fortunately survived because Zimian insisted on using magical contingincies, we now know that Steelheart aligns himself with some organization, occupying the Outlands to the west. We believe a bandit group has become organized enough to keep itself hidden and plant agents within Arcopolis, waiting for years to strike and indicating full loyalty to Arcopolis through their actions beforehand."

Timeous continues "Unfortunately, Maverick has escaped to the Outlands, and we need to bring him to justice. The problem is that the ecosystem of the Outlands is extremely unstable, and any large military mobilization attracts the strongest of the creatures living out there, otherwise we would already be moving a platoon out there."

"What we need you to do is travel to the Outlands, posing as a group of explorers intent on mapping more and more of the area. Unfortunately, both our North and South entrances claim to have seen Maverick enter into the Outlands. We're not sure how he's done this but to make sure that we don't lose his trail your efforts will consist of two separate groups starting from different entrances to the Outlands. We want you to bring him back alive if possible, but if you have to kill him then bring the body back here. For your equipme-what is it, Zimian?"

Zimian had signaled that he wished to speak and took over, "Bringing Maverick to justice is important, but we also have a more pressing objective, that must be completed above all else. Given the failure of attempted resurrection spells and the account of the king, we believe that Steelheart bound the souls of the queen and princess to two gems embedded into his sword. King Donovan recounts that Maverick wanted to make sure that the country was in distress, even if he failed to properly kill the king and destroy his body. We need you to recover his sword and bring the gems back intact so we can properly revive the royal family."

Timeous resumes his statement, "That just makes it all the more important that we find him quickly, for equipment we are giving you all cartography equipment, basic survival gear and special sending stones with which you can contact us with weekly. Your survival kits also have secret sleeves containing sketches of Steelheart and his sword. I recommend that you maintain your cover and don't reveal your true mission out there, as you will surely be killed by the bandits if you point out that you're under our employ to hunt down one of their own."

"Any questions before you depart?"

TaiLiu
2012-12-09, 05:10 PM
I was stunned when the kingdom choose me to avenge the King.

I was stunned when I passed the deceased Queen and Princess.

I was stunned when I found out that the Princess and Queen could not be returned to life.

When they told me, I was not filled with question, but with resolve. The souls of the royal must be freed.

I just had one little query.

"When do we begin?"

Rolls:
Bardic Knowledge on the Outlands: [roll0]
Knowledge (Geography) on the Outlands: [roll1]

Current Character Sheet:
Character:
Quoeak Moonshadow (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=477855)
Male Neutral Good Half Elf Bard, Level 1, Init +2, HP 7/7, Speed 30 Feet
AC 13, Touch 11, Flat-footed 11, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
Whip +1 (1d3 (Nonlethal), ×2)
Shortbow, Composite (Arrows (40)) +2 (1d6, ×3)
Quarterstaff +1 (1d6/1d6, Medium)
Leather Armour (+2 Armor, +2 Dex, -1 Misc)
Abilities Str 13, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 17
Condition None

Spells:
Lvl 0: Message, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation. Spell Slots; 2.

Actions:
Quoeak spends a Free Action talking.

Urist
2012-12-09, 09:55 PM
Shaken. Not only was Andrew shaken, but the whole kingdom was, the shaking born of the knowledge that one of their own, one they trusted, had turned on their sovereign. Although he had not been posted to the defense of the King, and knew, from years of watching and learning from Maverick Steelheart, that he would have been helpless to stop him, Andrew still could not rid himself of guilt. He would retrieve Maverick, and the name of the Royal Guard, no matter what the cost.

"When duty calls, loyal subjects obey, my Lords. The other group is heading south, yes? Do we have any ability to contact them, in the eventuality we do find Maverick and require reeinforcement? As well, do we have any known friendly contacts in the Outlands we can rely on?"

Medic!
2012-12-11, 12:25 AM
Brother Derry

The monk's face turns stern and dark. "I see you've recruited some capable and astute men to track this black-heart down and bring him to justice. St. Mere-abelle's is happy to assist. From this point on, I should be refered to as Brother Navigator, lest my appointment as Brother Justice in this matter give us away."

Jonathan whips his black robe off, deftly flipping it inside out and redonning it as a brown home-spun, and he pockets his insignia ring. He gives everyone a quick abashed look, "Either the black robe or the ring would be a dead give-away, I'm afraid." He offers an apologetic shrug.

Moranica
2012-12-11, 04:02 AM
A weathered looking man enters the room. A big sturdy longbow slung on his back and a full quiver. His friendly eyes scan the room as the general starts to speak. He patiently waits until he is finished before raising a hand.

"Indeed, I have questions. You speak of creatures strong enough to take out armies and an everchanging ecosystem. Now, while I've learned to live in the wilds, we could certainly use a guide! I mean, I can track them on our way in, but getting out would be near impossible. Which would be a shame if we had the sword of course. Or can you get us out using magic, mister Zimian?"

"Also, do we get horses as well? If we could catch the man before he reaches this camp of his, we would be more assured of a win."

"And finally, you seem to have a lot of able men here, [looking round at the general, cleric, wizard and elite guards] what makes us the right men for this job?"

white rider
2012-12-11, 06:37 PM
A hooded figure in dark blue robes, Minus stands in the corner of the room leaning on a staff. He was still a bit surprised that his master had allowed him to go on this quest, but evidently even his teacher realized the gravity of the situation.
"What sort of resistance can we expect to face?"

Aldurin
2012-12-13, 02:19 AM
Zimian looks at Melira with incredulity, saying "Do I look like a priest to you?" before Ellina steps in and accepts the flask. "Thank you, I'll be sure to give this to the king." She exits the room after shooting Zimian a disapproving look.

"The information is a lot to take in, but I hope it helps." Continues Timeous." He looks at Gormadoc, "The problem with identifying him by his horse is that both outposts report seeing him on it. Zimian says that the magic to create a replica of himself and his horse is too advanced for even skilled illusionists, especially for him since we've never seen him do anything except use a blade and his genius. We're assuming he has an accomplice who was under a disguise spell in order to leave through both gates to the Outlands, but that's just a theory."

Zimian speaks up again, "The possibility of an accomplice is the main factor in why we called for volunteers and chose all of you. We can't be sure of whether or not Steelheart has more allies within Arcopolis, so it'd be folly to stretch our resources at home. Each of you is established as trustyworthy and capable, and sending you on this mission won't leave Arcoplis undermanned and vulnerable to any more agents."

Timeous resumes his briefing, in response to inquiries on equipment, "Mounts will be more of a hindrance, as roads only progress for about 40 miles past the border before rough terrain overtakes them. Both outposts will have horses trained to return to the border once they take you to the end of the roads, but from there it's on foot unless you're lucky enough make friends with something that flies."

Zimian begins walking to the far wall, "Like Conleth knows, reckless travel in the Outlands is a nightmare. Anyone that survives the inconsistent wildlife and terrain is a force to be reckoned with. Just don't push your luck and go pissing off anything new you discover." He suddenly vanishes, and a moment later the wall comes down to reveal a secret room, outfitted with an odd contraption with wand, scroll and rod slots, several stones projecting odd illusion spells, one of those being a map of Arcopolis, and various other magical oddities. Zimian stands inside by one of the consoles displaying a map of the Outlands. As everyone enters, he continues, "We know very little about what is beyond the first 100 miles, since between the creatures and the mountain range, travel is near impossible, and anyone who has made it over has never come back. As you'll notice by the map, most of the charted Outlands is an arid or forested environment on hilled terrain, given how some weather systems come from some parts of the west, there could be dense jungles and dry desert depending on how the mountains restrict cloud movement. Those sending stones that each of you will have in your equipment pack also have minor Silent Image properties and a tracking feature, so I'll be able to monitor your progress and update the map as you progress into the uncharted regions."

"And I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep your cover mission for as long as possible. If Maverick realizes that someone is close to getting to him, he may attempt to break one of the soul crystals as a warning. At least that's the most logical situation for someone running a hostage situation, but as it is we can't be sure of how he thinks, so approaching and engaging him should be done with caution should you catch up to him. Preferably you report it in first so we can relay the location to the other group so you can take him on together."

General Marcus approaches and begins handing you the special backpacks mentioned earlier as Zimian walks up to the main contraption and says, "Unless you have any more questions, you will be departing for the border outposts immediately. I'll need Brother Derry, Cutter, Mottierre, Moonshadow and Minus to stand on the green circle over there; and Merth, Twin Blade, O'Neil and Melira to stand on the blue circle."

TaiLiu
2012-12-13, 02:59 AM
I obtained my backpack and put it on my back, planning to look through the contents a bit later. I walked onto the green circle, but I wondered at it.

What does the circle do? If it transports us, where to? What shade of green is the circle?

The general offered to answer a few more questions, but I decided not to ask them. I seemed so confident, and asking a question now could tar my image. However, could asking questions make me seem more intelligent? More open minded?

No, I had to seem confident, but not too cocky; I had to seem knowledgeable without looking arrogant.

Perhaps if I looked curious and casual at the same time...

I looked down at the circle, raised an eyebrow, then nodded.

Current Character Sheet:
Character:
Condition None
Spells:
Lvl 0: Message, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation. Spell Slots; 2.
Actions:
Quoeak spends a Move action moving onto the circle.

Medic!
2012-12-13, 11:02 AM
Brother Derry

Jonathan soaks in the information silently, and moves to the green circle when bade, the picture of prompt obedience. "Be sure not to let your guard down at home as well. If Steelheart can get a double to obscure his departure, he could just as easily have two doubles to obscure his staying right here."

Urist
2012-12-13, 11:40 AM
Andrew grabs his gear and sending stone, and moves to stand beside Brother Derry in the green circle, drawing his rapier to salute the general.

"The Royal Guard's honor has been besmirched, but we will regain it. Maverick will not escape our grasp."

Moranica
2012-12-15, 08:49 AM
Cutter gets his stuff and moves onto one of the circles.

"I guess we'll be off then."

white rider
2012-12-15, 09:42 AM
Minus nods, giving a short salute before stepping onto a circle.

Aldurin
2012-12-21, 05:44 PM
Zimian looks at both groups, and says "Ok, this will be but a moment." He then taps the displayed Outlands map at the locations of the two border outposts, and moves back to the machine. He stuffs a scroll into the tube, mounts two rods in the rod slots and pulls one of them like a lever.

In a flash you find yourself only 100 feet or so east of the Outlands border. It's a grand stone wall, reaching up for at least 5 stories, with intermittent defense towers that reach even higher. The tower closest to you possesses an expanded base outfitted with increased room and a large set of metal doors, clearly meant to allow regulated passage between the two sides of the wall.

As you approach a soldier comes out and beckons you closer, leading you into a large stables area. "Ah, so you're the ones that we're expecting."

Moranica
2012-12-21, 05:57 PM
Cutter approaches, a bit unnerved by the instant relocation, and offers the man his hand.

"That depends really, but I assume you mean the group that is supposed to apprehend our runaway maverick? That indeed we are. Are you the one that saw him pass by?"

TaiLiu
2012-12-22, 07:43 PM
As my companion started to talk to the soldier, I looked through the contents of my bag.

Current Character Sheet:
Condition None

Medic!
2012-12-22, 08:33 PM
Brother Derry

"If you have any information to offer, soldier, best do it quickly, we need to be off immediately."

Urist
2012-12-26, 11:32 AM
Andrew salutes crisply, his bearing suddenly stiff and formal. A grimace twists his face, and his voice drops and becomes more gruff.

"Lead on, soldier, we have no time to lose. Every second we delay is another second Macerick has to outrun us."

white rider
2012-12-29, 12:18 AM
Minus steps up and grabs a horse. "I agree, we are hours behind already. Do you know which way he was going?"

Aldurin
2012-12-29, 03:57 PM
The soldier responds, "I was on watch when he came through, earlier today. He said he was on urgent business from the King so we let him through quickly. He took the road from the outpost, as most everyone does. It's easier to get deeper into the Outlands when you take that path, since horses aren't well-suited for the off-road terrain. These horses here will head on back to the outpost if you send them away once you're out of road, but for that first stretch you'll be glad that you have them." He signals to a guard on the upper level, and the gate begins to open outward, revealing a well-trampled path heading off into the distance. "Go ahead and pick a horse. As you said it's not good to delay."

TaiLiu
2012-12-30, 07:40 PM
I choose a pasty coloured horse and mount it.

Current Character Sheet:
Condition None

Urist
2012-12-30, 08:04 PM
Andrew grabs the nearest horse and, loading his gear into the saddlebags, makes ready to ride. His expression grows a little bit brighter, the thrill of beginning the mission cutting through his evident pain.

"Thank you, soldier. Shall we move out?"

white rider
2012-12-30, 08:52 PM
Minus finds a short, calm horse and mounts it.
"Yes, and as fast as possible. Ha!"
Minus spurs his horse and trots out of the stable.

Medic!
2012-12-31, 12:52 AM
Brother Jonathan Wayne

Brother Derry checks his gear for a moment then fumbles his way onto a horse, barely managing to mount it facing the right direction. He offers no words of parting, concentrating too hard on keeping himself astride the horse, versus the opposite.

As the foul creature tramples the dirt (and from the feeling of it, the poor monk's kidneys) he jostles about in the saddle into the Outlands.

Moranica
2013-01-02, 04:40 AM
"Let's go!"

Cutter mounts up and heads out.

TaiLiu
2013-01-03, 11:43 PM
I rode through the gate and into the Outlands.

I knew that if we succeeded, I could get the opportunity to teach the King's daughter. However, it was on this dirt road that I realised that I could gain so much more than a teaching position. I would gain skills and knowledge; I would create bonds and share stories with my companions.

My companions.

I noticed that I knew virtually nothing about them. They were chosen by the King, so they had to have some sort of skill that made them stand out; an ability that made them special.

Why was I chosen by the King? My knowledge? My work experience? My cooking ability?

Maybe my companions would know; I will ask them later - while resting or camping, perhaps. For now, we had to know each other to work with each other. I would introduce myself first.

"I am Quoeak Moonshadow! Teacher, mathematician, chef!"

I turn to the elf with the bow on his back and ask for his introduction in elven.

"Illw aey?"

Current Character Sheet:
Condition None

white rider
2013-01-04, 12:13 AM
"Ha! Ha!", shouts Minus, kicking his horse and almost falling off as it leaps forward, but he manages to stay on and ride with moderate speed down the road.
As the company travels down the rough path, Minus turns to the monk grasping his horse. "You know, I can never get over the fact that they think for themselves."

Medic!
2013-01-04, 02:08 AM
Brother Derry

The monk turns to Minus, and stutters out between wincing bumps, "I...swear...I'll....train...twice...as....hard...i f...I...sur...vive...this....ride!" To his horse he shouts, "Hear...THAT!? I'll...out...run...you...one...day...blasted...bea st! "

Aldurin
2013-01-04, 03:48 AM
The first couple hours down the road are uneventful, but after a turn around a hill the area opens up to forest alongside the road, and a few minutes into it a tree falls in front of the road, blocking it off, and another falls behind you, leaving about 50 ft between the two trees on the 30 ft wide road. Suddenly 6 lizardfolk appear, 3 from each side of the forest. Each trio has one with a javelin and two bearing clubs. The tallest of the group speaks to you in poor Common, "Give horse, give gold, and you not die."

If you want to immediately take action to start the fight, let me know in the OOC so I can break out Initiative rolls for everyone (it's better bookkeeping if it's handled DM-side).

I'm not entirely set up for mapping, but in the front of your group is Cutter on the left and Andrew on the right, Quoeak is in the middle and in the back row are Minus on the Left and Brother Derry on the right. Quoeak is 20 ft from both groups of lizardfolk and everyone else is considered one square closer to their closest group.

To help visualize the area:

-------------
-L---C-A---L-
-L----Q----L-
-L---M-D---L-
-------------

"L" indicates the lizardfolk, the center ones of each group have javelins. Each PC is indicated by initial.

Moranica
2013-01-04, 02:11 PM
"HALT!"

Cutter casually takes his bow from his back while talking.

"We can't give them to you. We're following a dangerous fugutive and he could be a threat to us all. Now really, we are only a small group, but if we were not to return succesfully, an army will surely follow. Now my question to you is. Do you really want to risk having an army come through your lands, or would you rather help us succeed and keep your semi-peaceful existance."

Urist
2013-01-04, 02:42 PM
Andrew draws his rapier, and prepares to dismount, if necessary, while speaking to the tallest lizardfolk.

"Unfortunately, my companion has the right of it. We have a mission of great importance, and we cannot halt. If you make us do so, we will respond with lethal force; however, if you let us go upon our way, we will not trouble you again, and we can both make our ways peacefully."

Diplomacy:[roll0]

Medic!
2013-01-05, 01:55 AM
Brother Derry

The monk eagerly pours himself out of the saddle, grasping the reings in one hand, and strides towards the nearest Lizardfolk. "Take the damned thing! You'd be doing me a favor!" He thrusts the reigns out towards the center Lizardfolk with the javelin in hand.

Aldurin
2013-01-05, 02:26 PM
Quoeak's checks
Knowledge Geography and History:
Lizardfolk are well known as one of the savage races that were pushed into the Outlands during the settlement of Arcopolis. Their usual habitat is supposed to be swamp and marsh areas.
Knowledge Nature:
The surrounding forest consists mostly of coniferous trees growing on what would otherwise be plains. It's definitely not the optimal environment for lizardfolk.
Knowledge Religion:
Lizardfolk religion can vary, and is often imposed by a stronger race of creatures. There is nothing to indicate whether or not these lizardfolk are religious.
Bardic Knowledge:
It's very odd to see lizardfolk outside of their preferred environment. You don't know why they wouldn't continue searching for an area that's at least more humid and instead hunt in the forests.

Spot and Listen checks:
You notice nothing out of place, but then you hear the growling of one of the lizardfolk's stomach, provoking closer examination. Though you're not entirely sure, the lizardfolk look rather frail, and you can almost see the ribcage in some of them.

"HALT!"

Cutter casually takes his bow from his back while talking.

"We can't give them to you. We're following a dangerous fugutive and he could be a threat to us all. Now really, we are only a small group, but if we were not to return succesfully, an army will surely follow. Now my question to you is. Do you really want to risk having an army come through your lands, or would you rather help us succeed and keep your semi-peaceful existance."

Andrew draws his rapier, and prepares to dismount, if necessary, while speaking to the tallest lizardfolk.

"Unfortunately, my companion has the right of it. We have a mission of great importance, and we cannot halt. If you make us do so, we will respond with lethal force; however, if you let us go upon our way, we will not trouble you again, and we can both make our ways peacefully."

Diplomacy:[roll0]

The lizardfolk look confused and begin muttering to each other in Draconic.

For Quoeak and probably Minus (no bonus languages are listed but no wizard in their right mind turns down draconic).
"What did they say?"
"I dunno, I think they're bounty hunters."
"Bounty hunters? Are you sure?"
"Either way, we should kill them just to be safe. But wait for them to give up their stuff before we do."

Brother Derry

The monk eagerly pours himself out of the saddle, grasping the reings in one hand, and strides towards the nearest Lizardfolk. "Take the damned thing! You'd be doing me a favor!" He thrusts the reigns out towards the center Lizardfolk with the javelin in hand.

You see the lizardfolk's eyes widen and his mouth begin to drool when he looks at the horse up close. Suddenly he rushes the horse and tries to bite into it. In response, the horse rears up and kicks at the lizardfolk, hitting him squarely in the face. The javelin-user hits the ground, unmoving. The others on that side are stunned for a moment, unsure of what to do, and left side trio shouts over to check if they're ok, checking their grip on their weapons while they do.

Surprise Round (you can post regardless of order this round)!
Initiative:
Minus: [roll0]
Quoeak: [roll1]
Cutter: [roll2]
Andrew: [roll3]
Brother Derry: [roll4]

-------------
-------------
-------------
-L---C-A---L-
-L----Q-H-*--
-L---M--D--L-
-------------
-------------
-------------

The asterisk is the lizardfolk that boldly did battle with the horse. The "H" is Brother Derry's horse.

TaiLiu
2013-01-05, 04:29 PM
"<Either way, we should kill them just to be safe. But wait for them to give up their stuff before we do.>"

Those words echoed in my head again and again. We had to kill them before they killed us. This was an optimal time for action.

But what were those lizardfolk doing here? This was no swamp.

Then, I remembered their growling stomachs. Of course!

Hunger. That was why they wandered out; that was why they were attacking us and taking our money and our horses.

Do I risk my life and ask them why, or do I kill them and risk a valuable source of knowledge that could potentially led us to Maverick?

...I liked living.

I hopped off my pasty coloured horse and wielded my walking stick as threateningly as possible. Then, I started reciting a dwarven epic in the goblin language.

"U', muk uku, dr'n' 'uk u rukno, rukno t'unv..."

I just hoped that my grunting was passable for words of encouragement...

Rolls or Technical Stuff:
Quoeak hops off his horse. This is a move action.
Quoeak begins Inspire Courage. This is a standard action.

Everyone that can hear Quoeak receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.

Translation: ("Once, long ago, there was a hungry, hungry dwarf...")
Current Character Sheet:
AC 13, Touch11, Flat-footed 11, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
Quarterstaff +1 (1d6/1d6, Medium) (1d6+1/1d6+1)
Condition None

Medic!
2013-01-05, 05:22 PM
Brother Derry

"It's regretable, but we can't let you slow us down here."

The monk lashes out in a furious routine of sweeping arms, seeking a knock-out blow and hoping to avoid a fatal strike against the hungry creatures.

Using Flurry of Blows for a standard action full attack, starting with the near lizard and moving to the next if he drops, and he's within reach (the heroic monk thing says you can move 10ft between attacks, dunno how you want that done during a surprise round, if at all). Going for non-lethal damage at this point.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

white rider
2013-01-05, 06:54 PM
Minus groans as he hears the lizardfolk talking.
"So be it! Ha!"
Minus barks out an incantation, and a large badger materializes in between Minus and the lizardfolk to his left. With a command from Minus, it lunges at the lizardman.
[roll0], [roll1] damage.

Urist
2013-01-06, 01:12 AM
Andrew's eyes narrow at the lizardfolks attack, and any hint of goodwill that existed in them suddenly vanishes.

"Well, you've brought this upon yourselves... Let's make quick work of these scum, men, we have a fugitive to catch!"

That said, Andrew leaps from his saddle, and prepares himself for combat.

Making a Ride check to dismount as a free action. If Andrew makes it, he will charge the lizardfolk to the right(partial charge).

Ride:(DC 20)

Attack: [roll1]
Crit Confirm[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]
Crit Damage(if applicable)[roll4]+2d10

Moranica
2013-01-08, 05:23 PM
".....", Cutter just acts, knowing the talking is over.

He fires at the nearest lizardman.

Bow [roll0]; [roll1] damage

Aldurin
2013-01-08, 05:44 PM
Quoeak's song helps the fight, letting the others strike a little better, though how well they make use of it is limited.

Minus' spell goes off perfectly but the badger's claws only hit the dense scales of the lizardfolk it strikes.

Brother Derry's manages to land one punch that knocks the wind out of the lizardfolk but doesn't knock it down, and the other two strikes hit air.

Cutter shows some great accuracy, firing a shot that hits his target in the heart, the lizardfolk falling over with little more than a grunt.

Andrew stumbles at getting off his horse and hits the ground off balance, and spends the next moment regaining his balance.

The remaining lizardfolk are slow to react and remain surprised for a moment.

Everyone except Andrew gets another round before enemy initiative kicks in.

-------------
-------------
-------------
-X---C-HA--L-
-L----Q-H-*--
-LB--M----DL-
-------------
-------------
-------------

X is the dead lizardfolk, H represents unmanned horses, B is for the badger summon.

Medic!
2013-01-08, 07:35 PM
Brother Derry

Brother Derry lashes out at the Lizardman with less-than-lethal force once more, his arms windmilling with frightening speed.

If the nearest Lizardman drops, he moves to the next, continuing his routine.

Flurry of Blows! With 10 ft movement to set the next Lizardman up for a flank with Andrew if the first drops (and using any remaining attacks on the 2nd Lizardman). Still non-lethal damage.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Moranica
2013-01-09, 04:14 PM
Quickly Cutter draws out his next arrow and fires at the one next to his first victim.

He whispers: "You really should have run." and let's loose.

Bow [roll0]; [roll1]

Moranica
2013-01-09, 04:15 PM
Crit!
Confirming [roll0] ; [roll1] damage

white rider
2013-01-09, 06:10 PM
Minus fires his crossbow at the lizardman to the right of his badger, reloading with a click.
[roll0], [roll1] damage
The badger claws and bites at the lizardman once again.
claw 1: [roll2], [roll3] damage
claw 2: [roll4], [roll5] damage
bite: [roll6], [roll7] damage
Edit: sorry, forgot the +1 to attack and damage :smallredface:

TaiLiu
2013-01-09, 09:11 PM
"Ut kr' ud' ut ud' ut ud'!"

My companions were making quick work of those lizardfolk, shooting and punching and biting and scratching.

"Sudr'n," no't u ouuk romt. "Dr'n''k drud sukd'n - drud b'nb'duummo rukno t'unv!"

It seemed that we had a competent archer, martial artist, magician, and some fumbling horseback rider.

"u!" dr' du'kb'ubm' no't. "Uun nubk un' p'ok 'ud' po Momo dr' Rukno!"

They seemed calmed and prepared, as if they trained for battle day and night. They weren't afraid like me; they weren't huddled next to their horse, fearful of the lizardfolk.

Momo muukr't ud dr' P'ukd. "O p'd O uumt 'ud ouu ub o u' pod'!"

They were either psychopaths or war heroes, experienced with battle.

Quoeak concentrates on Inspire Courage. This is a standard action.
Quoeak uses Total Defence. This gives him a +4 dodge bonus to his AC for 1 round. This is a standard action.

Everyone that can hear Quoeak receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.

Translations:
(And she ate and ate and ate!)
("Mother," cried a young child. "There's that monster - that perpetually hungry dwarf!")
("No!" the townspeople cried. "Our crops are being eaten by Lily the Hungry!")
(Lily laughed at the Beast. "I bet I could eat you up in one bite!")

Current Character Sheet:
AC 13 17, Touch 11 15, Flat-footed 11, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
Condition None

Aldurin
2013-01-11, 01:02 PM
Brother Derry finally manages to subdue the Lizardfolk, who falls unconscious to the ground.

Cutter's arrow hits the javelin-user straight-on, but only wounds him.

Minus' crossbow bolt misses entirely, but the badger manages to sink his teeth into the lizardfolk he was attacking, the creature screaming in pain. (You forgot to consider Augment summoning into the Badger's rolls.)

Quoeak continues to support the others and remains wary.

Their brains finally turning on, the Lizardfolk begin to react. The lizardfolk that's afflicted with a severe case of badger struggles against the creature, drawing a lot of blood and making the badger angrier. The remaining Javelin lizardfolk tries to retaliate against Cutter, but his throw is rather pathetic and the javelin clatters on the ground and skids right under Cutter's horse. The lizardfolk on the top left charges in and attacks Andrew, managing to strike with the club.

Ok, Andrew then everyone else can go, since the slowest lizardfolk was incapacitated all of your turns are consecutive now.

Andrew takes 4 damage from the lizardfolk. I forgot to consider spell duration for summon monster, so the badger keeps the extra turn but disappears when Minus moves (so no more actions from the badger).
-------------
-------------
-------------
-X---C-HAL---
-L----Q-H-*--
-LB--M----D*-
-------------
-------------
-------------

X is the dead lizardfolk, H represents unmanned horses, B is for the badger summon.

Urist
2013-01-12, 07:17 PM
Andrew, snarling at the pain of the club injury, lashes put at the lizard folk with his rapier, aiming to for the heart.

Attack:[roll0]
Crit Confirmation:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Crit Damage:[roll3]+[roll4]

white rider
2013-01-13, 02:33 PM
Minus swears as his badger disappears in a puff of smoke, before reloading his crossbow and firing it at the lizardman his badger injured.
[roll0] edit: derp, forgot the bard. That's 14, and 2 damage
[roll1] damage
Also, you know that one lizardfolk is CR 1, and thus six are something like CR 3 or 4, right?

Moranica
2013-01-13, 02:53 PM
Cutter just keeps them arrows flying.

Targetting the wounded lizardman, he let's loose.

[roll0]; [roll1]

Forgot +1's from bard and point blank range.

TaiLiu
2013-01-13, 06:02 PM
Lizardfolk fall and bleed everywhere.

The fumbling horseman is now a fumbling swordsman. Nice rapier, though.

While everyone else is fighting, I continue my epic while asking the nearest lizardfolk if he loved me in Draconic.

Quoeak concentrates on Inspire Courage. This is a standard action.
Quoeak Feints the nearest lizardfolk. If he succeeds, the lizardfolk will lose it's Dexterity bonus to AC. This is a standard action.

Roll for the Feinting: [roll0]

Current Character Sheet:
AC 13 17, Touch 11 15, Flat-footed 11, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
Condition None

Aldurin
2013-01-19, 07:03 PM
Tailiu: You technically shouldn't be able to both concentrate and feint in the same round, but that's a pretty interesting way to go about it so I'll allow it for this case.

Brother Derry moves to assist Andrew, striking at the lizardfolk from behind in attempt to subdue it. The lizardfolk takes a moment to register what Quoeak just said, and then he stops and his face wrinkles up as he tries to process what just happened, taking a punch to the back of the head, lucky enough that Andrew's rapier hit his scales instead of piercing.

Minus' crossbow shot hits the bottom left lizardfolk right on his bite mark, causing it to hiss in pain but otherwise causing little damage.

Cutter's shot barely skids by the other lizardfolk, leaving a minor cut.

The the lizardfolk on the right gets really pissed off by Quoeak's feint, and tries to charge him. Fortunately this leaves Brother Derry and Andrew a chance to attack it, and both their strike connect, leaving the wounded lizardfolk unconcious.

The middle left lizardfolk limps over to his fallen comrade and takes his club, and attempts to shuffle over to Cutter.

The lower left lizardfolk picks his club back up and moves toward Minus, bleeding heavily and full of anger.

Map:
-------------
-------------
-------------
-X--LC-HA*--
------Q-HD*--
----LM-----*-
-------------
-------------
-------------

Moranica
2013-01-19, 07:26 PM
Realising he is now in melee, Cutter readies another arrow at point blank range.

And let's loose, giving the arrow only 3 feet of air to pick up speed before reaching it's target.

[roll0]; [roll1]

Urist
2013-01-19, 11:11 PM
Andrew, emboldened by striking the lizardfolk he was engaged with, charges the remaining one, weaving through his allies to help surround the lizardfolk before stabbing at it heartily.

To clarify, that's the lizard folk on the lower left that Andrew's charging.
Attack:[roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll]1d20+10[roll]
Damage:[roll1]
Crit Damage[roll2]+[roll3]

white rider
2013-01-20, 09:30 AM
Minus, seeing the Lizardman close to melee range, Minus dismounts to the other side of his horse and fires his crossbow at the beast once again.
[roll0]
[roll1] damage

TaiLiu
2013-01-21, 07:29 PM
I grab my whip and attempt to trip the angry lizardfolk with the club.

Quoeak grabs his whip; this is a move action.
Quoeak trips the lizardfolk; this is a standard action.

Quoeak makes a melee touch attack: [roll0]

Everyone that can hear Quoeak receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. This effect will last for four more rounds.
Current Character Sheet:
Condition None

Aldurin
2013-01-25, 06:03 PM
The two remaining lizardfolk topple under the assault, leaving the group in peace, at least for the moment.

As you recuperate, you have one more issue to address. Three of the lizardfolk are unconscious, one of them to soon bleed out. If you let them live, you may regret it as they know what you're really out here for. But they were merely looking for food, desperation driving them to fight. Do they really deserve to die because you were too slow to remember your cover identity? What do you do?

The combat may be over, but you still have to address the last part of the encounter. A bunch of good-aligned people have a difficult decision on their hands now.

Moranica
2013-01-26, 03:39 PM
Cutter finally gets of his horse and quickly checks the fallen lizardmen, stabilizing them if needed.

"Someone help me out here, we've made our point, I think."

Heal checks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Aldurin
2013-01-26, 04:25 PM
Cutter expertly stabilizes the one bleeding lizardfolk, and determines that the other two are fine and should wake up soon.

Meanwhile Brother Derry walks over to the edge of the tree trunk to see how easy it would be to get around, but before he makes it all the way an unusually large bear suddenly crashes out of the woods, charging into him and grabbing him as it plows into the trunk, causing it to spin around and eventually back on the bear, throwing it into the woods along with the unlucky monk still in the bear's mouth. Bewildered by the tree, the bear charges back into the woods at a blinding speed, and the sounds with it quickly fade. The tree trunk spins to a stop so that it runs parallel with the road, your path westward no longer blocked.

Brother Derry has left the party due to Medic! disappearing without response for 3 straight weeks. As an FYI, you can't catch the bear.

The party gains 1000 xp each, and you all level up! Technically I was supposed to give less but level 1 is painful to balance properly and I'm sure we'd both like it to be over with.

white rider
2013-01-26, 08:12 PM
"Someone get rope- we can leave them tied to a tree or something."
Minus walks around his horse.
"Pity about the monk, though. Ah, well. Did he drop anything of use?"
The reaction to Derry's death is a bit OOC, but I think it wouldn't do to dwell on it.

TaiLiu
2013-01-27, 03:01 AM
What happened?

I shook my head, rubbed my eyes, and thought.

Nothing but blood and gore; nothing but suffering and death.

The death of that odd monk - it was expected: they had warned us of the dangers of entering such an uncivilised and chaotic place. I will mourn for him, but I haven't time now. A more pressing question rebounded throughout my mind: what of the lizardfolk?

The lizardfolk will be angered once they awaken. What is our plan? No, I didn't know. What are their plans? What are my companions' plans?

Is our plan to interrogate the lizardfolk? We had slain their friends; it would be foolish to assume that they would agree to spill information. Were we to leave them there? They will die of starvation!

My companions will know - they must.

"What are we planning to do to the lizardfolk?"

Character sheet:
Male Neutral Good Half Elf Bard, Level 2, Init +2, HP 10/10, Speed 30 Feet
AC 13, Touch 11, Flat-footed 11, Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Condition None

Moranica
2013-02-17, 04:13 PM
As the bear crashes back into the undergrowth, Cutter is quick to follow. Sprinting on foot he charges after it. .... only to return a couple of minutes later.

"That is one fast bear. I could follow it's tracks for a bit, but we have no way of catching it on foot. And our horses can't travel through such thickets. Vengeance will catch up to him though. That is the way the world turns."

As Cutter looks around him, he wonders.

"This land is far more brutal then the forests I lived in. The bears there are scared of people and there are no lizardfold or anything like it. What did we get into...."

TaiLiu
2013-02-17, 08:38 PM
What did we get into?! The answer was simple: a mess.

Still, there were more pressing issues.

"Speaking of Lizardfolk..."

"...What should we do with these?"

Character sheet:
Male Neutral Good Half Elf Bard, Level 2, Init +2, HP 10/10, Speed 30 Feet
AC 13, Touch 11, Flat-footed 11, Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Condition None