PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my cleric

Dunkoro
2012-12-09, 04:36 PM
Our GM wanted us to make our own prestige classes (rated by him to be eligible or not) and that's what we came to together:
Divine Magus:
Reqs:
Spellcraft: 9
Know(arcana): 9
Any 2 metam. feats.
3rd level arcane casting or 3rd level divine casting with Spell doman Magic domain or Arcane Cleric ACF
Base Will Save: 5

Weak BAB, Weak Fort and Ref, Strong Will
Full caster progression
1st level: Divine Mage: At each level of this class choose a spell of Cleric spell list (if you're an arcane caster) or from Wizard/Sorcerer spell list (if you're a divine caster) of a level 1 lower than your level in Divine Magus class. Add that spell to the list of your spells known for your class. It is treated as an arcane spell for arcane casters and divine spell for divine casters.
Advance turning or familiar normally.
2nd level: Easy Metamagic I: Choose a metamagic feat you have. It's level adjustment is decreased by 1.
6th level: Easy metamagic II: Works as Easy Metamagic I, but you have to choose another metamagic feat, and additionally reduction from Easy Metamagic I increases to 2.
10th level: Easy metamagic III: Analogic to II (new feat to reduce, reduction is now I:3, II:2, III:3)

I want to play as Dragonborn (for flavour reasons) NG Cleric with Planning domain and Arcane Cleric ACF.

And now my questions:
1. What base race should I use (lesser aasimar is propably too overpowered)?
2. Should I play as Cloistered or normal Cleric?
3. What are the best arcane spells I should get from Arcane Cleric and from Divine Mage?
4. What Metamagic feats I should use for Easy Metamagic I, II and III? Chain+Reach+Extend or DMM:Quicken+Empower+Extend or DMM:Persist+Empower+Extend?

My GM is pretty keen on using RAI and not RAW, but can easily adapt some changes to rules if he sees they have no reason other than lowering the powerlevel (for eg. he allows me to use Persist on spells with non-fixed range, he allows for Nightstick stacking, but theyare usable only as turning attempts and not for fueling divine feats and such).

I don't want my powerlevel to go throught the roof (No, I'm not going to play Kobold and such), I simply want to optimize my cleric for slightly better than averagely optimized party.

docnessuno
2012-12-09, 04:52 PM
1) Human is probably more overpowered than lesser aasimar. both are good choices, but lesser aasimar is obviously the best one for a dragonborn.
2) Cloistered is wildely regarded as the best option.
4) I => Quicken, II => Chain, III => Persist. DMM only persist, considering quicken and chain will end up as +1.

As a side note: if you are worried about your power level you should rework that class. Currently i'd rate it among the 3-4 most powerful PRCs for casters.

Dunkoro
2012-12-10, 04:51 AM
Out of curiosity: what are the other 2-3?
Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Wouldn't reducing spell level adjustment to 0 be better than having +1s? And wouldn't Persist be better as +3 instead of +5 (about 2 additional uses considering 1 Extra Turning, allowing me to persist Mass Lesser Vigor, Divine Power AND Ice Axe =]).

What would the example rework be? Reducing only by 1 on all 3 metamagic feats? I'm afraid it'd be just a weaker Incantrix/Dweomerkeeper at that point.

And for another question: Which prestige class(es) would work good as a supplement for this one (propably for the last 4 levels)? Currently I'm considering 1 Contemplative 3 Shadowcrafter Mage (althought then I'd propably use Heighten Spell with one of the Easy Metamagics).

docnessuno
2012-12-10, 05:35 AM
Out of curiosity: what are the other 2-3?
Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Wouldn't reducing spell level adjustment to 0 be better than having +1s? And wouldn't Persist be better as +3 instead of +5 (about 2 additional uses considering 1 Extra Turning, allowing me to persist Mass Lesser Vigor, Divine Power AND Ice Axe =]).

What would the example rework be? Reducing only by 1 on all 3 metamagic feats? I'm afraid it'd be just a weaker Incantrix/Dweomerkeeper at that point.

And for another question: Which prestige class(es) would work good as a supplement for this one (propably for the last 4 levels)? Currently I'm considering 1 Contemplative 3 Shadowcrafter Mage (althought then I'd propably use Heighten Spell with one of the Easy Metamagics).

And the 2 PRCs you named are conidered the strongest meatamagic users in the game. And none of those grant a -3 (!!!) reduction to a metamagic feat, or access to spell outside of your list. Also both require a pretty useless feat to qualify. If you want to see a class with a similar concept (metamagic reduction) check the Halruuan Elder (Shining South) wich, despite horrible feat taxes, is still a great PRC and categorized in the "Up two tiers (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1573)" zone.

I assumed the minimum reduction was 1, and that's why i aimed for +1 level metamagic. Also if you are stacking nightsticks the cost of your DMM metamagic feats is almost irrelevant as you will be swimming in turn attempts later on.

How would i fix the prc:

Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks.
Feats: Any metamagic feat, Southern Magician.
Spellcasting: Able to cast 3rd level arcane spells or Able to cast 3rd level divine spells.

9/10 casting (all but 1st)
1st: Divine Mage (unchanged)
2nd: Easy metamagic (Exactly the feat from Dragon #325)
4th: Bonus metamagic feat
6th: Easy metamagic
8th: Bonus metamagic feat
10th: Easy metamagic

The result would still be a very strong PRC, wich would surely be categorized in the "up 2 tiers" zone.

Dunkoro
2012-12-10, 06:05 AM
Yeah, I might adapt your fixed version of my prestige class (except I'd propably still make it full casting).
How's that bonus feat races are the only ones that can enter this class straight at lvl 6 (unless I use planning domain, which I will propably do anyway).
My GM lets Nightstick stack, but their turning attempts can't be used for divine feats =]
How about stacking Easy Metamagic on one metamagic feat? reduce in that variant?
And which metamagics would you
And what'd be your take on supplemental prestige class(es)?