PDA

View Full Version : Neverwinter Nights 1 Build Help

Outer_Heaven
2012-12-09, 05:59 PM
Okay.. first and foremost, I want to say Hello to everyone. I tried doing such on the "new members say hello here" thread that is made known at the very top of the forums, but when I went there, the forum was Closed, and I couldn't post a message there. Maybe I was looking in the wrong area, or what have you.. but I saw no options to reply, or anything.. So, yeah.. Name's Outer_Heaven, but you can call me Outer. Name is an indication that I'm a fan of the Metal Gear franchise; one of many. I'm nowhere near new to gaming, but I do need a bit of assistance.

I play on a Persistent World in Neverwinter Nights, and I currently have a level 10 Fighter, pure Fighter levels. I have a Token for Champion of Torm, because I did a test build with Fighter/CoT and had a decent outcome, but not exactly what I was looking for.

Before I continue, I should state that the server I play on has a level cap of 30, and is an RP Persistent World. Now, on to the matter at hand.

My character was created with the 16, 10, 15, 10, 13, 10 standard approach. Focuses on Strength as a Primary, Constitution as a Secondary, Intelligence as Tertiary. My Fighter wears Heavy Armor, and uses a Sword and Shield combination--I know, I know.. if you want a powerful fighter build, you should have a Two-Hand or Dual-Wield build! Yes, I know.. however, I'm not going for severe mega powerhouse uber build.. I'm simply looking for a build that is competitive, can hold its own, and isn't a push over to take down. The weapon being used is a Longsword, and the Shield is a Tower Shield.

Feats that have been taken, in no particular order, were Toughness; Weapon Focus (Longsword), Weapon Specialization (Longsword), Cleave, and Great Cleave. I've off-set the lack of Strength and Constitution with a server-designed "Gift" system that provides very small perks, but those perks offer potential for later-epic levels. Gifts are as simple as +1 Str, and +1 Con.

So, yeah.. any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. If any further clarification for the intentions of the build are needed, by all means -- please ask! I'd be happy to clarify, or go in to further detail.

I'm intentionally holding off on advancing much further in levels, because I would like an opinion on the build. I would prefer to include the CoT levels in some way, as well.

Outer_Heaven
2012-12-11, 10:20 PM
No one has any recommendations? Unfortunate.. well, sorry for wasting everyone's time.

SmartAlec
2012-12-12, 07:38 AM
It's been a while, but I remember the Expertise and Knockdown feats as excellent and worthwhile. Their Improved versions, doubly so. They give you a bit of flexibility - Expertise for when you're surrounded and need survivability over damage, and Knockdown for neutralisation and spellcaster interruption.

Parry is not very useful. Discipline is handy.

One or two Rogue levels to nab 5, 10, or any increments of 5 levels of Tumble is useful as every 5 points of Tumble nets you +1 AC.

Champion of Torm is fine, but with a low charisma, the lay on hands and smite evil abilities of the class will be less useful. The extra will save bonuses are very useful, however, as if a fighter has an achilles heel, it's low will saves. Against creatures with a fear aura, you'll be easily in trouble.

Daremonai
2012-12-12, 07:45 AM
In NWN1, knockdown is essentially a win button, unless your opponent has been pumping ranks into discipline.

Wookieetank
2012-12-12, 09:29 AM
No one has any recommendations? Unfortunate.. well, sorry for wasting everyone's time.

Unfortunately I don't have any fighter reccomendations, as all my NWN1 characters were either arcane archers or dragon disciples. I'd be interested in finding out which server you're playing on as I've been looking to get back into NWN and never did get around to trying out any of the roleplaying servers yet.

Giegue
2012-12-12, 10:39 AM
Most of the role play servers require EXTENSIVE hacks/add-ons, which is why I tend to stay off of them. I'd LOVE to try them, but every single one I find usually has several hacks/mods you have to download to play on them and after some bad experiences with the PrC pack I am VERY hesitant to alter my game in any way....but anyway.....

I'm more of a caster person myself, so I don't have much to say, but I will say that if your server allows it, try and pick up devastating critical when you reach epic levels. Most servers disallow it, but if yours doesn't then you really should build towards it. It's basically death magic for fighters and probably one of the most broken feats in the game(hence why it's outright banned on so many servers.). Other then that I don't have much to say beyond GET GOOD ITEMS. Fighters are reliant on magic items far more then casters, so it is very important to assure you have all the nice stuff you can get.