PDA

View Full Version : The best/most enjoyable books? PF/3.5

Sajiri
2012-12-09, 06:40 PM
With christmas coming up I'm looking to buy my husband a couple of D&D books. I'm about to order Ultimate Equipment for Pathfinder since he wanted that, but I'm looking for something else as well.

3.5 or PF, we kind of mix and match the content as needed. We have a ton of pdf copies but like to buy physical copies of the best ones even if we don't intend to use them anytime soon, just an enjoyable read.

Im at work so can't check on the collection of what we already have but we have the core books for both editions. There's probably not much left in PF for us to get but 3.5 there's plenty I could track down.

Off the top of my head what we already have along side the core books is...

Pathfinder- Ultimate magic, Ultimate Combat, Dragon Empires (I forget the exact name), all bestiaries. Edit (more I remembered we own)- Advanced Players Guide, Advanced Races Guide

3.5- Draconomicon, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, FR Underdark, Eberron Campaign Setting, Races of Destiny (edit, remembered another) Magic of Incarnum, Weapons of Legacy (Dont remember if this is the exact name)...I can't recall the others we have, but as in the title, what are some of the best/useful/most enjoyable books that I can try tracking down for him?

docnessuno
2012-12-09, 07:02 PM
Spell compendium: The single best book to have in your hand during 3.5 games. If you restrict your spell choices to Core + SC you are not missing much and the bookeeping becomes incredibly easy.
Tome of battle: The best spaltbook from 3.5
Expanded psionic handbook: The most "familiar" alternative casting system of 3.5, quite well done overall.

Pathfinder:
Advanced player guide: More options for the players

Exirtadorri
2012-12-09, 07:06 PM
For 3.5 i am in love with the book of exalted deeds. They make paladins much more definitive ans explains what is "good" and what a paladin should be. They breakdown what make someone good or how healing a whole village is evil.

erikun
2012-12-09, 07:28 PM
For content, one of my favorites is the Races of Stone. I didn't much care for the Goliaths, but I did enjoy reading through the history and ecology of Gnomes and Dwarves. Perhaps I'm a bit biased towards this book, as those two are my favorite races in D&D3; the other Races of ___ books delve into their races as well, I just wasn't as interested in them.

For mechanics, I'll recommend Expanded Psionics Handbook. The psionics system turned out really well, and they did a good job of cramming as much psionic support in that book as they could. (Too bad it wasn't supported as much elsewhere, but it is still solid by itself.)

gallagher
2012-12-09, 07:29 PM
My favorite of the Complete Series is Complete Scoundrel. It might as well be renamed Complete Adventurer because what adventurer worth his spit doesnt have secret pockets, a hidden compartment in his shoe, a couple hidden blades and a few doses of Salvo?

herrhauptmann
2012-12-09, 07:40 PM
Magic Item Compendium.
I'm a big fan of the Tome of Artifacts book, even if I don't think I'll ever put one in my games. Also includes quests to destroy each artifact.

Sajiri
2012-12-09, 08:12 PM
I keep reading about Tome of Battle, maybe I should track that down. Im sure we have a pdf already but Ive never seen it.

A book on psionics might work. As far as I know he's never used psionics because he never knew how they worked but seemed to show some interest in them recently.

Blackfang108
2012-12-09, 08:27 PM
I'm a fan of the Tome of Magic and Magic of Incarnum.

The Redwolf
2012-12-09, 08:59 PM
I'd like to second or third Tome of Battle and Magic of Incarnum for 3.5, also I think it's Tome of Magic that has Binders in it, that's pretty amazing. As far as Pathfinder goes I personally really like Paths of Prestige because it has so much cool stuff in it, and there are a few things that help to convert Binders and Pact Magic to Pathfinder, which cool because it lets you use Binders.

Sajiri
2012-12-09, 09:28 PM
Forgot we had Magic of Incarnum already, and I've never actually heard of path of prestige, I'll have to look that one up

Bakkan
2012-12-09, 09:33 PM
Just want to jump in and fourth Tome of Battle. Yes, it is that good.

For fluff, the Draconomicon has some of the most beautiful illustrations of dragons in the game as well as lots and lots of information about dragon physiology, psychology, society, and so forth. Mostly for DMs, but has a few useful things in it for players as well.

The Players Handbook II is solid, as is to a lesser extent the Dungeon Master's Guide II.

Sajiri
2012-12-09, 10:10 PM
Just want to jump in and fourth Tome of Battle. Yes, it is that good.

For fluff, the Draconomicon has some of the most beautiful illustrations of dragons in the game as well as lots and lots of information about dragon physiology, psychology, society, and so forth. Mostly for DMs, but has a few useful things in it for players as well.

The Players Handbook II is solid, as is to a lesser extent the Dungeon Master's Guide II.

Draconomicon is the first 3.5 book I said we have :p Its actually mine, probably my favourite

Larkas
2012-12-10, 06:54 AM
Tome of Battle, hands down. Seriously, you can't not love it, and it's not only because of the mechanics therein. The fluff is nice, it has a nice art, the presentation is good, and it has a little bit of everything: classes, prestige classes, magic items, monsters and ToB's "equivalent" of spells. Overall, very nice!

Morrolan
2012-12-10, 07:30 AM
I get the occasional chuckle from Libris Mortis, but that might just be me. I agree with the others on Tome of Battle though.

Andreaz
2012-12-10, 07:34 AM
Psionics Unleashed and Psionics Expanded.
The PF answer to 3.5's Expanded Psionics and Complete Psionics. All the awesome, a third of the exploits, almost no suck and even easier to use!

Tome of Battle and Magic of Incarnum;
The most fun alternative systems in 3.5, and both offer amazing synergy for gestalt games, a favorite of mine.