PDA

View Full Version : How to encourage more in-party RP?

Captain Avynn
2012-12-09, 08:18 PM
Hello everyone! Been a big fan of the comic for awhile, and the concept of playing tabletop RPGs since I was in high school. Unfortunately never found a group to get into with it.

I've recently tried my hand GM'ing a Deathwatch game (that has since been requested to be turned into a campaign) and a single Rogue Trader game from the starter adventure.

It turns out, I extremely enjoy GM'ing, having only ever done it three times now as of yesterday, and all of my party are new to tabletop RPGs. Do any of you have ideas on how to promote in party dialogue, not necessarily conflict yet as it's too early I think, or thoughts on how to help encourage them to stay in character more?

While I've never played TT RPGs, I have played a few muds for years and years that were roleplay enforced so I do understand the concept. I am just curious on where and how to find a happy balance as well as giving the group a chance to learn how to play such a game while learning the system.

Any advice any of you may have would be incredibly appreciated! :smallsmile:

Occasional Sage
2012-12-09, 08:48 PM
Experience bonuses for good RP is a tried-and-true carrot. A practice many groups adopt (which your players may or may not be comfortable with) is to default to in-character when sitting at the table; agree on some signal (raised hand, a simple statement, etc.) if you want to discuss ordering a pizza or whatnot. If your game is more of a sandbox than a scripted path, start moving the plot to follow the RP at the table and let the players see that their banter has a forward effect on the game.

Basically, try a bunch of things for a session or two each and see what fits your group. Some things will stick, some will not; different people like and respond to different things, and it may take a combination to get roleplaying really going.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-09, 09:54 PM
You could try systems that emphasize this, such as Shadow of Yesterday and FATE. However, it all comes down to your players wanting to do it. Some people just don't like that. I have a friend who never speaks 'in character'. He just says "I tell him to shut up" or stuff like that. He is having fun the way he does it, so I don't try to change it.

DrBurr
2012-12-09, 10:18 PM
If your like me and never liked the whole here's free XP thing, I found the best way to get people to at least talk in character is to talk in character to them with funny voices if you can. In my experience they'll at least respond with I say "...." Make talking as NPCs a regular thing with your group and they'll be more comfortable with talking as Bob the Fighter.

Another thing you can do to get them more invested with the story which may help is to make quests a little more personal, like bringing in the Character's Father or Old Master.

This can take a while to take a reasonable effect with some players but keep at it until their comfortable with RPIng

valadil
2012-12-09, 10:37 PM
It's all about finding the differences between the PCs and making them solve those differences.

I like morality problems. My last group was big on performing necessary evil for a greater good. I turned up the evil knob while turning down necessary until one player spoke up against the party's actions. They wouldn't listen to him so I tweaked it until another player gave in. Keeping things around that level kept them roleplaying. I just sat back and watched some sessions.

The danger there is that some PCs will kill other PCs for disagreeing. Personally I find this immature and I don't actually know any players like this, but they're definitely out there.

Giving them too many things to do will also get the party talking. Tell them to be in three places at once. Make all the places important. If you give players irrational personal reasons for some of the places, they'll have much better arguments.

Siegel
2012-12-10, 05:10 AM
If you don't have a "happy-we-do-everything-together" party then this wall happen automaticaly because you will have to convince people to help you.

This is really cool to see in Apocalypse World. Hadn't had so much inter player RP then in this game.

Captain Avynn
2012-12-10, 12:14 PM
I definately appreciate the insight from all of you on this.

I have tried taking on different mannerisms and word usage when NPC's where interacting with the party. Maybe changing inflection of my voice and pitch would help that be more noticed.

I do have one player who's very much into his character, and another I sometimes wonder if he is in character or acting as himself. Those two I've been trying to encourage to get the rest of the group more involved from the RP angle.

Here is an example of the biggest event that inspired RP in the last game:
The team had just saved a VIP and were making their way back to base, having given up their transport to get the VIP out quicker. As they were moving, they had a crowd of refugees following. They started noticing baddies moving in adjacent alleys, and player 1 wanted to stay and defend them, player 2 wanted to move on to return to base. It ended up in a brief (in character) argument before they left the refugees behind them to return to their base which was expecting another attack.

I was incredibly happy with this event, as it was probably the most indepth the group had gotten so far. However, two of the five were kind of sitting on the side lines. Mind you, there is a bit of an age disparity in the group. Player 2 is in his 50's, Player 1 in his mid 20's, and then Players 3-5 are in their late teens (player 2's son and 2 of his friends).

As for personal preference, I have tried to add elements multiple play styles would enjoy. One of the kids very much enjoys the combat but seems to loose all focus during in party dialogue and in rp situations, another is still learning the character he's playing so I don't fault him at all, the third of the younger players is very reserved. I have heard he enjoyed the session, but I can't really get a good read on him and Player 1 and I were trying to see if we could get more interaction from him without putting him in the spotlight.

I hope this isn't too rambling and explains the situation. At the moment I would be a bit slow to change systems, as I've been GM'ing for less than a month and never even had a chance to play a P&P RPG before.

I will take the free xp or other boons of a sort into consideration. Also the team is due to receive reinforcements, I may add a player connection amongst the reinforcements (former mentor or something like that.)

Thanks for all of the input, it's been tremendous!

Dr.Epic
2012-12-10, 01:23 PM
Deduct/reward experience for roleplaying.