PDA

View Full Version : Fun +2 la race?

silverwolfer
2012-12-09, 08:56 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows any fun _+2 races?

Darius Kane
2012-12-09, 09:03 PM
Drow. vddhshsf

Libertad
2012-12-09, 09:06 PM
Drow. vddhshsf

I'm in agreement here. Just remember not to play as a spellcaster; the Caster Level loss hurts.

Half-Ogre (Savage Species) if you want to melee.

Satyrs, because they love to party. Centaurs too.

Half-Fey's a pretty sweet template. Enchantment immunity, wings, and spell-like abilities.

VGLordR2
2012-12-09, 09:13 PM
Two levels in the Ghost Savage Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) is enough to get most of the nice things.

The Viscount
2012-12-09, 09:27 PM
The light sensitivity, which is Drow's major setback, can be countered with a pair of sundark lenses.

Githzerai isn't bad for stat bonuses alone.

Karsite is also fairly good, though the race's problem with magic means being a caster isn't best.

Volodni are great for +2 LA, the only plant race I know of, not counting simply applying templates to existing races.

Petal would be hard to play due to being tiny, but it could be feasible.

The Feral template is rather overpowered for +1 LA, so you could stack it with another +1 LA, if it's that kind of game.

Bakkan
2012-12-09, 09:29 PM
The Saint template is one of the most powerful +2 LA options out there, it's sometimes viable even for mid-level characters with no buyoff. Sure, you have to be a champion of good, but sometimes that's what you want to do anyway.

The Viscount
2012-12-09, 09:38 PM
Two levels in the Ghost Savage Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) is enough to get most of the nice things.

That is true, but isn't one required to pick up the other levels eventually?

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-09, 09:38 PM
Sure, you have to be a champion of good, but sometimes that's what you want to do anyway.

Wait, people do that? :smallconfused:

Well, Drow's already been said.

Githzerai are fun.

VGLordR2
2012-12-09, 10:01 PM
That is true, but isn't one required to pick up the other levels eventually?

The texts suggests that you're supposed to complete the template levels, but there are no rules concerning how many class levels you can take between template levels. Here's the relevant text:

Characters are not required to complete all the levels of a given template class in uninterrupted succession. For example, a character who takes a level of wereboar could then take a level of fighter and a level of rogue (or any other combination of other class levels) before taking another level of wereboar. A character must still take the first level of wereboar before taking the second, just as with a normal class.

Malimar
2012-12-09, 11:00 PM
Half-Ogre (Savage Species) if you want to melee.

Half-Ogre was updated in Races of Destiny. (I think it was updated to +2 LA; it was +1 in SS). Easily my favorite +2 LA race. You can keep your Powerful Build races, I much prefer being genuinely large. (If for no other reason than because natural reach is neato.) The only thing I don't like about half-ogre is that the int penalty is -2, not -4.

Petal would be hard to play due to being tiny, but it could be feasible.

I've got a petal PC in my game (he started out something else, but was transformed into a petal by a random magic effect). He's pretty overpowered compared to the rest of the party, but it's hardly a high-op group.

Caveat: before making a petal PC, ask your DM how they interpret "LA: +2 (cohort)". Many will interpret it as meaning the race is unsuitable for a PC.

gorfnab
2012-12-09, 11:28 PM
I like the Shadow Template (LoM). The Dark Creature Template (ToM) + the Shadow-Walker (UE) is quite fun for stealthy characters

Cranthis
2012-12-10, 12:43 AM
I like the Shadow Template (LoM). The Dark Creature Template (ToM) + the Shadow-Walker (UE) is quite fun for stealthy characters

Lords of Madness, Tome of Magic, and what?

Eonir
2012-12-10, 12:45 AM
Lords of Madness, Tome of Magic, and what?

Unapproachable East.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-10, 12:51 AM
Karsite psions (it is explicitly stated as working) are pretty awesome.

Chameleon template is pretty decent (though only +1)
Dark creature is also pretty good.

maybe a chameleon whispergnome, or dark whisper gnomes? No one will ever find you.

If you can get buy off Dark Blue Psion? (Not that it would be great, but being a dark blue sounds funny).

Half ogre dragonborn water orc is pretty beefy, especially with those wings making you a paratrooper of painful pointy death. there must be something about elemental water infusion that makes orcs want to worship bahamut.

Half fey is one of the best templates out there.

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-10, 01:06 AM
I think the Half-Vampire template is +2. I've always wanted to try playing the Daywalker.

Cranthis
2012-12-10, 01:10 AM
I think the Half-Vampire template is +2. I've always wanted to try playing the Daywalker.

The template is +3

JellyPooga
2012-12-10, 01:48 AM
I've got to put my vote in for the Half-Ogre (RoD version) too. Not, perhaps, the most "powerful" race, but the big Str bonus and decent Natural Armour (to more than compensate for the Size penalty to Attack rolls and AC, respectively) is very nice.

Another vote goes for the Gizthzerai; redunkulous unarmoured AC when considering the Inertial Armour and massive Dex boost.

As an alternative for the same price, the Githyanki have much nicer SLA's than the 'zerai, though their stat bonuses are less tasty.

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-10, 02:16 AM
The template is +3

Okay, I just double-checked. Half-Vampire (Libris Mortis, page 106) is a +2 Level Adjustment template.

You may have been looking at the statblock for the example character, a Half-Vampire Gnoll with a listed LA of +3, but that figure is including the Gnoll's natural +1 Level Adjustment.

Cranthis
2012-12-10, 02:19 AM
Okay, I just double-checked. Half-Vampire (Libris Mortis, page 106) is a +2 Level Adjustment template.

You may have been looking at the statblock for the example character, a Half-Vampire Gnoll with a listed LA of +3, but that figure is including the Gnoll's natural +1 Level Adjustment.

You are correct.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-10, 02:54 AM
Grimlock (40' blindsight and some beefy physical stats)
Sure you're blind, but just think of what makes you immune to.

Get a spiked chain, improved trip, and a bigger size and all of a sudden you can lock down everything you can perceive. People like daredevil, why not play a dumber angrier daredevil?

Wanted to bring up svirfneblin (mostly because I like saying svirfneblin), but they are a +3. Not really worth it, especially considering the net negative stat adjustment.

GreenSerpent
2012-12-10, 03:34 AM
The Phrenic template is possiby the second best after Saint for the +2 LA. Bonuses to mental stats, free psi-like abilities and power resistance (gets even more powerful if using psi-spell transparency). Yes please.

Forrestfire
2012-12-10, 03:41 AM
Phrenic, Half-Fey, and Githzerai (just make sure to not get the psionic version) are all really fun.

Technically acquired Lycanthrope is +2 LA, but since you need to take the hit dice of the animal, it probably is not what you're looking for. However, a Strongheart Halfling Were-Rat Swarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm) is the best thing I have ever played.

nedz
2012-12-10, 11:02 AM
Another vote for Half-Fey — it was fun you were after ?

silverwolfer
2012-12-10, 01:05 PM
gith are +4

Malimar
2012-12-10, 02:36 PM
gith are +4

If you're playing a githyanki and a githzerai simultaneously, maybe. Individually, they're +2 each.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-11, 07:12 PM
Another decent +1 template to remember is Mineral Warrior. Add it to a +1 race or another +1 template. Things like mineral gnolls could be fun (though it sounds like a breakfast cereal).

Get +2str, +4con,-2int, wis, and cha. No change in type (gain earth subtype), +3 natural armor, burrow speed (equal to half your highest speed) 1/day smite anything (add con to hit and rhd to damage), darkvision 60', and dr 8/adamantine. You lose any fly speed you might have naturally, so don't put it on a flyer, or apply this template before the flying template.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-11, 07:23 PM

The Dark template version found in Cormyr tearing of the Weave is better than the one from ToM, since it gives you SU Hide in Plain Sight, it is otherwise functionally the same.

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-11, 07:29 PM
Ah, they definitely butchered svirfneblin. In 2nd Edition, it was the definition of a cool race to play. Crazy good abilities. It's kind of funny how they are smaller than drow, poorer stats than drow, and still bigger LA. So sad.

Be sure your DM is up for the template madness. As a DM, I would allow any out of the box race if it is in my LA limits, but templated (especially template salad) is a whole 'nother brand of crazy to unleash on game balance. Also, the role play explanation can get a little hinky. Whisper gnome mineral warrior grows wings sounds cool; maybe some kind of raptoran parent? Awfully convenient, and as much as I like creativity, I prefer it best when it comes BEFORE the rules monkey wrench.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-11, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty sure the Mineral Warrior Whisper Gnome grows wing via Divine intervention (Aka becoming a drahonborn with the wing aspect).

Darth Stabber
2012-12-11, 10:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the Mineral Warrior Whisper Gnome grows wing via Divine intervention (Aka becoming a drahonborn with the wing aspect).

Silent flying rocks FTW!

toapat
2012-12-11, 10:50 PM
Well, of course a Symbiote character who got taken over by an Intensified Awakened Dread Blossom Swarm.

who said fun had to be sane?