PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Shielded Melee Control, help needed

Rapidghoul
2012-12-09, 11:18 PM
I'm joining a campaign next week, and I decided to break my long line of casters, supports, and skill-monkeys and go with my very first full BAB character. We're starting at level 4 with all PF stuff available and standard rules (2 traits, regular starting wealth, etc.). The party is a pistol-wielding Conjurer, a Strength/Travel buff Cleric, a skill monkey Rogue, and a Barbarian. I'm going to go with a shielded maneuver combatant for added damage, control, and protection.

I'm debating between the following two builds and could use some advice, both on which seems stronger and if there's anything that could be improved:

1. Human Shield and Weapon Infiltrator [Ranger archetype]
Charges into combat, shield slams for free bull rush, wolf companion uses AoO for a trip attempt.
Pros: Wolf Animal Companion - free trip attacks for more control.
Spellcasting - Things like Compel Hostility and Entangle will give control, and access to wands / scrolls helps too.
Infiltration - Make up for normal vision and get other bonuses like Skill Bonus and other movements.
Early access bonus feats ignoring prerequisites, namely Shield Slam and Shield Mastery.
Cons: Fewer feats means cutting things like Combat Control out.
Lower damage output, meaning less threatening.
Lower AC and CMD makes things more dangerous.

2. Human Phalanx Soldier [Fighter archetype]
Uses Combat Patrol and a guisarme for trip attempts all over the field, or shield slams adjacent opponents away to be able to use the guisarme.
Pros: Heavy armor - better AC for melee.
One-handed polearm use - attack at reach with one hand (Guisarme) and adjacent with the other (Shield Bash).
More bonus feats - room enough for the full Greater Trip and Combat Patrol chains, albeit not until level 9.
Cons: Longer wait for Shield feats
No Animal Companion means fewer attacks / maneuvers.
Far fewer skills, no infiltration, and no spells means fewer options overall.