PDA

View Full Version : Remove Curse, Wish, or Miracle

Story
2012-12-10, 12:10 AM
The SRD entry on Gauntlets of Fumbling states that "the gloves can be removed only by means of a remove curse spell, a wish, or a miracle."

But it can also be removed by Limited Wish, since it can duplicate the effects of Remove Curse. Is this an oversight? A wish could be intended to mean any type of wish even though it's hyperlinked to the 9th level Wish spell. But if Wish/Miracle remove the curse by duplicating Remove Curse, the list is redundant. I'm having trouble figuring out why they would phrase things like this. I suppose it's far from the only oddly worded section of rules.

Psyren
2012-12-10, 01:24 PM
The SRD entry on Gauntlets of Fumbling states that "the gloves can be removed only by means of a remove curse spell, a wish, or a miracle."

But it can also be removed by Limited Wish, since it can duplicate the effects of Remove Curse. Is this an oversight? A wish could be intended to mean any type of wish even though it's hyperlinked to the 9th level Wish spell. But if Wish/Miracle remove the curse by duplicating Remove Curse, the list is redundant. I'm having trouble figuring out why they would phrase things like this. I suppose it's far from the only oddly worded section of rules.

Your disconnect comes from thinking that Limited Wish, Wish and Miracle only have the effect of duplicating existing spells. What you're forgetting is this clause:

Produce any other effect whose power level is in line with the above effects.

In short, the spells have power of their own that does not stem from duplication. And by definition, any effect capable of a spell they can duplicate is already in line with their power level.

There are actually articles that provide alternative uses for Limited Wish. One such use is to give arcanists a magical equivalent of Psychic Reformation.

Story
2012-12-10, 02:38 PM
I know they can have other effects, but if they already have the explicitly stated ability to duplicate a spell which does the same thing, why bother?

Is there some situation under which you're allowed to cast Limited Wish but not allowed to duplicate Remove Curse?

Psyren
2012-12-10, 02:58 PM
I know they can have other effects, but if they already have the explicitly stated ability to duplicate a spell which does the same thing, why bother?

Is there some situation under which you're allowed to cast Limited Wish but not allowed to duplicate Remove Curse?

One possible scenario would be a range limitation. RC is touch range, and a Wish or LW to duplicate it would be as well. By themselves though, Limited Wish and Wish are unspecified - you could actually be able to decurse an object from across the room.

Of course, an equally plausible scenario is that you're right - i.e. those two can only decurse something by imitating RC - which would make the entry redundant, and merely a reminder to the DM/players that "hey, remove curse isn't the only option for getting these things off."

Story
2012-12-10, 06:03 PM
Except that some of the other curses can only be removed by Wish or Miracle, meaning that it's intended to be a nonduplication effect of those spells.

So I guess the moral of the story is Limited Wish can remove the curse at touch range (by duplicating Remove Curse) while Wish can remove the curse even at a distance using a different effect.

Psyren
2012-12-10, 06:12 PM
There are some effects Limited Wish can remove as well though - by itself, that is. Geas, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasQuest.htm) for instance, is subject to Remove Curse but has additional requirements the caster must meet. Limited Wish, on the other hand, can remove it without these additional requirements. If you use LW to imitate RC rather than using its own inherent power, you will have to meet these.