PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Invocations

The Demented One
2006-10-29, 07:17 PM
Annihilating Blast
Dark, 9th, Eldritch Essence

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a annihilating blast. A creature or object struck by an annihilating blast must make a Fortitude save or take double damage. In addition, a creature or object reduced to 0 hp or less by an annihilating blast dies. Its body is totally disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust.

Baleful Dismissal
Lesser, 4th

You teleport a single creature within 30 ft. of you to another location within 30 ft. of you. If it is unwilling, it may attempt a Will save to negate this invocation. You must have line of sight to the location you are moving the creature to. You must teleport the creature onto solid ground capable of supporting it. You cannot move yourself with this invocation.

Bladestorm Blast
Least, 2nd, Eldritch Essence

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a bladestorm blast, a blast made up of thousands of small blades you summon for a split-second. A bladestorm blast has a critical threat range of 19-20/x2, and deals slashing damage. Damage reduction applies to the damage of a bladestorm blast, though it is treated as a magic weapon for overcoming damage reduction. Spell resistance does not apply to a bladestorm blast.

Bleakrot Blast
Lesser, 3rd, Eldritch Essence

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a bleakrot blast. A creature damaged by a bleakrot blast must make a Fortitude save or be covered in small, fungal growths for one minute/level. These fungi infest the subject’s wounds, causing him to gain only half the benefit of spells that heal damage for one minute/level. Dispel magic cannot undo the effects of this invocation, though diminish plants, remove curse, or remove disease automatically end its effects.

Bound Beyond Death
Dark, 9th

You speak a command in Dark Speech to a single creature within 30 ft. of you. If that creature fails a Will save, it must carry out the command, bound to your will as the geas/quest spell. In addition, if the subject of this invocation dies before completing his task, he is immediately raised as a ghost. If destroyed, the ghost is restored by its rejuvenation ability unless it has completed its task. You have no control over the ghost, except for the geas laid on it.

Channeled Luck
Lesser, 4th

You channel a day’s worth of luck into a single moment. For twenty four hours, you take a -1 penalty on all attack rolls, saves, skill checks, and ability checks and lose the benefit of all luck bonuses. However, once during the duration of this invocation, you may gain a +20 luck bonus on any attack, save, ability check, or skill check.

Daemon’s Whisper
Lesser, 3rd

You gain telepathy out to 5 ft./level for twenty four hours. In addition, as a standard action, you may attempt to probe the mind of any creature within your telepathy’s range. If it fails a Will save, you gain access to its surface thoughts, as the detect thoughts power.

Dark Mirror
Least, 2nd

You reflect all divinations targeted at you back on their casters. For 24 hours, whenever a divination spell would reveal information about you, such as your alignment, surface thoughts, or similar to its caster, it instead reveals the same information, but in regards to its caster–thus, a caster would perceive you as being of the same alignment as he is, and having the same surface thoughts as he does. The caster does not receive any indication the information is not accurate.

Dire Hex of Ill Fates
Dark, 8th

You cast a great and terrible curse upon your foe. This invocation works as the curse of despair invocation, but the curse you may lay is even worse. In addition to the normal options, you may choose to reduce on of the target’s ability scores to 1; give the target a -6 penalty to two ability scores; give the target a -8 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, and ability or skill checks; or cause the target to have a 75% chance of being unable to take any action each round. The penalty on attack rolls the subject takes increases to -3, and its duration becomes one minute/level, rather than one minute. The dire hex of ill fates cannot be dispelled, and the break enchantment, limited wish, and remove curse spells are powerless against it unless cast by a caster with a caster level that exceeds yours by at least four. A miracle or wish can remove the hex with no difficulty.

Eldritch Sniping
Least, 1st, Blast Shape

This blast shape invocation makes your eldritch blast unerringly accurate. An eldritch blast modified by this invocation ignores all miss chances caused by concealment. Even total concealment is ignored, though you must still target the correct square.

Ethereal Abduction
Dark, 8th

When you use this invocation, you, any creatures touching you, and any objects carried by you or the other creatures are teleported to any location you are familiar with, as the greater teleportation spell. In addition, when you use this location, you may make a melee touch attack against any creature. If the attack is successful, the creature is teleported along with you, regardless of whether or not it is willing.

Eyes of the Dead
Least, 2nd

To use this invocation, you must pluck out and consume the eyes of a corpse. You then view the creature’s perception of its own death and the events of the five minutes leading up to it, finding out as well as it did how it died.

Freezing Blast
Greater, 6th, Eldritch Essence

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a freezing blast. A freezing blast deals cold damage, and a creature struck by one must make a Fortitude save or be frozen solid for one minute. A frozen creature cannot move, attack, or cast spells. They are considered immobile, lose their Dexterity bonus to AC, and take an additional -4 penalty to AC. Each round, a frozen creature may attempt another saving throw to end the effect.

Glorious Obsession
Dark, 7th

All enemies within 20 ft. of you must make a Will save or become madly obsessed with you. They become charmed, and take 1d6 points of Charisma damage. In addition, they take a -4 penalty on all Will saves against any invocation you use. These effects last for ten minutes/level.

Hoarfrost
Lesser, 3rd

All ground within 20 ft. of you is covered in a rime of ice, which lasts for 1 round/level. When you use this invocation, all creatures other than you in the ice-covered area must make a DC 15 Balance check or fall prone. In addition, in subsequent rounds, a creature attempting to move through the rime must make a DC 15 Balance check or fall prone. Even if it makes the check successfully, it can move only at half its base land speed.

Lashing Blast
Least, 1st, Eldritch Essence

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a lashing blast. A lashing blast seems to be a whip of eldritch energy, and a creature struck by it must make a Reflex save or fall prone.

Lifeleech
Greater, 5th

You gain the ability to leach off of healing spells for twenty four hours. Whenever a spell of the healing subschool is cast within 60 ft. of you, you recognize it is being cast, though you do not learn what spell it is. You may choose to attempt to leach that spell. If you do, you and the caster of the spell must make opposed caster level checks. If you succeed, you gain the benefits of the spell. If you fail, the spell functions normally.

Mindburning Blast

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a mindburning blast. A creature capable of casting spells struck by a mindburning blast must make a Will save or lose one of its spell slots or prepared spells of the highest level it is capable of casting.

Occult Glamer
Lesser, 3rd

You send forth a wave of mesmerizing light. All enemies within 20 ft. of you must make a Will save or be fascinated for 1 round/level. If they are attacked, they immediately break out of their fascination.

Phantasmal Stalker
Dark, 7th

You summon an incorporeal sphere of eldritch energy, known as a phantasmal stalker, which appears in your space. The phantasmal stalker is of Tiny size and has an AC of 12 plus your Cha modifier at the time you used this invocation. It has all traits of the incorporeal subtype, even though it is not a creature. If the phantasmal stalker is destroyed, you may not use this invocation again for 10d6 minutes. If you move, the phantasmal stalker moves with you, remaining in your space unless you mentally order it not to. In addition, as a standard action, you may direct the stalker to move up to 10 ft./level.

At the beginning of each round, you may designate a single creature within 10 ft. of the stalker. That creature must make a Will save or take one point of Wis damage and become panicked for 2d4 rounds. Even if it successfully saves, it is shaken for 1 round. A creature that successfully saves against the effects of the phantasmal stalker is immune to its effects for twenty four hours.

Rebuking Blast

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a rebuking blast. An undead creature struck by a rebuking blast must make a Will save or be rebuked, cowering in fear of you for one round/level, to a maximum of ten rounds. If it fails its save by five or more, it instead falls permanently under your control. The total HD of undead you control this cannot exceed your caster level.

Soulsense
Least, 2nd

You gain a heightened sense in regards to fiends, celestials, and their kin for twenty four hours. You gain a +10 insight bonus on Listen and Spot checks made to sense outsiders. In addition, you receive a +10 insight bonus on Survival checks made to track outsiders, and are treated as having the Track feat when tracking them.

Soulweary Blast

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a soulweary blast. A creature struck by a soulweary blast must make a Fortitude save or be fatigued for 1 round/level. If the creature is already fatigued, it does not become exhausted.

Stoneshape Blast
Greater, 6th, Eldritch Essence

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a stoneshape blast. A creature struck by a stoneshape blast must make a Fortitude save or begin a slow process of petrification, which lasts one round/2 levels. It takes a -2 penalty to Dexterity, and its base land speed is reduced by 10 ft. Each round, it must save again or suffer the same effects, which are cumulative. If a creature’s base land speed is reduced to 0 ft., it cannot move. If a creature fails four saves in a row, it is petrified, as the flesh to stone spell. At the end of this invocation’s duration, unless the creature was petrified, all of its harmful effects are undone.

Swarm of Delirium
Least, 2nd

You force a single creature within 30 ft. of you to believe it has been covered by a creeping horde of insects. If it fails a Will save, it takes a -1 penalty on all attack rolls and skill checks. In addition, it must make a DC 15 Concentration check in order to cast a spell. Both these effects last for one minute/level.

Targeting Blast

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a targeting blast. A creature struck by a targeting blast must make a Will save or be marked with a crosshair-like symbol for one round/level. As long as it is marked, you gain a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls made against it. This bonus increases by one for every five caster levels you have.

Unseen Hand
Lesser, 3rd

You telekinetically draw a single item within 30 ft. of you, weighing no more than 10 lbs./level, to your hand. If it is unattended, it is automatically drawn to your hand, arriving at the end of your round. If it is held, the creature holding it may attempt a Reflex save to negate this effect. If it fails, the item is drawn to you.

Voice of Doom
Least, 1st

For twenty four hours, your voice becomes extremely loud, hearable with no difficulty at a range of fifty feet/level, maximum one thousand feet. You also gain a +10 enhancement bonus on Intimidate checks

Draz74
2006-10-30, 11:26 PM
Without having time to read all of this thoroughly, I give it an overall "thumbs up."

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-10-31, 07:38 AM
Your invocation levels are a little off. They are generally higher than they should be. I don't have time to go into specifics.

Triaxx
2006-11-02, 01:19 PM
Phantasmal Stalker
Dark, 7th

You summon an incorporeal sphere of eldritch energy, known as a phantasmal stalker, which appears in your space. The phantasmal stalker is of Tiny size and has an AC of 12 plus your Cha modifier at the time you used this invocation. It has all traits of the incorporeal subtype, even though it is not a creature. If the phantasmal stalker is destroyed, you may not use this invocation again for 10d6 minutes. If you move, the phantasmal stalker moves with you, remaining in your space unless you mentally order it not to. In addition, as a standard action, you may direct the stalker to move up to 10 ft./level.

At the beginning of each round, you may designate a single creature within 10 ft. of the stalker. That creature must make a Will save or take one point of Wis damage and become panicked for 2d4 rounds. Even if it successfully saves, it is shaken for 1 round. A creature that successfully saves against the effects of the phantasmal stalker is immune to its effects for twenty four hours.

Exactly how is it destroyed? How many HP does it have? Why would I want to use it? I could down them with a normal blast, or use Bound beyond Death to send them after anyone else who happens to be attacking me.

The Demented One
2006-11-02, 07:12 PM
Exactly how is it destroyed? How many HP does it have? Why would I want to use it? I could down them with a normal blast, or use Bound beyond Death to send them after anyone else who happens to be attacking me.
I've defined their hp. The reason you use them is because, unless you want to position them, you don't need to use actions to use them. You can hit a foe with a blast, and mindrape them with the stalker, all in the same round.

Triaxx
2006-11-02, 07:33 PM
Makes sense. Could it be ordered to attack anything that enters a square? Thus creating a door guard? Or would that require an additional ability?

The Demented One
2006-11-02, 07:42 PM
Makes sense. Could it be ordered to attack anything that enters a square? Thus creating a door guard? Or would that require an additional ability?
It can't be "programmed" like that, because it lacks any intelligence or consciousness.

Triaxx
2006-11-02, 08:06 PM
Hmm... Then an extra ability would be needed.

Divided Mind
Prereq:Warlock 7, Phantasmal Stalker
Effect:Divided mind allows a Warlock to direct a portion of his or her mind to guide a Phantasmal Stalker in a task, such as guarding a doorway, by attacking anyone entering that door. In exchange for this the Warlock has a -2 to AC, because the mind is not entirely on the task at hand.

The Demented One
2006-11-05, 04:41 PM
Bump for a few more invocations.

The_Snark
2006-11-05, 04:51 PM
Unseen hand should have a range limit, and the Frozen Blast should probably deal cold damage.

I like them. Warlocks in general have always struck me as being a lot of fun to use.

Triaxx
2006-11-05, 08:18 PM
Alright, now I love Phantasmal Stalker, and Hoarfrost is fantastic. Combined with Ethereal Abduction, a you could transport an enemy and yourself back to a jail cell, and then lock it behind you.

Freezing Blast would be great for delaying a foe while I deal with someone else. Perhaps the range of Unseen Hand should be 15ft./level.

The Demented One
2006-11-05, 09:31 PM
Unseen hand should have a range limit, and the Frozen Blast should probably deal cold damage.

Fixed both those issues.

Fizban
2006-11-05, 09:45 PM
And now warlocks can have cool random arcane tricks too. You've outdone yourself once again. /copy-paste.

Gralamin
2006-11-08, 12:24 AM
I admit when I said I trusted you Demented, I didn't read this thread. Then you said bladestorm blast and I think wtf? and so come here and am amazed. They all make sense, and are perfectly balanced, as well as giving warlocks more variaton.

Homebrew Mastermind
You are a master of homebrewing
prereqs: a huge amount of homebrew posts, half of which must be good. A truly mighthy post.
Benfit: The entire forum is amazed by you.

Seffbasilisk
2006-11-08, 04:35 PM
Frozen blast doesn't deal the +2d6 like Brimstone Blast or Vitrolic Blast?

Nerd-o-rama
2006-11-08, 04:55 PM
Eldritch Sniping
Least, 1st, Blast Shape

This blast shape invocation makes your eldritch blast unerringly accurate. An eldritch blast modified by this invocation ignores all miss chances caused by concealment. Even total concealment is ignored, though you must still target the correct square.
You have no idea how much I needed this last campaign I was in. All these abilities look top-notch, flavorful, and (gasp) useful! I really want to use some against my PCs now...

Merlin the Tuna
2006-11-09, 01:24 PM
Eyes of the Dead
Least, 2nd

To use this invocation, you must pluck out and consume the eyes of a corpse. You then view the creature’s perception of its own death and the events of the five minutes leading up to it, finding out as well as it did how it died.

This right here is made of win.

Seffbasilisk
2006-11-11, 02:11 AM
I ask about Frozen Blast, because i'm playtesting a Warlock using a new feat I wrote, and wanted him to use that Invocation as well.

The_Snark
2006-11-11, 02:54 AM
I don't think Frozen Blast does deal the extra damage; after all, it's like a more powerful version of Hellrime Blast, which doesn't deal lingering damage.

JellyPooga
2006-11-11, 10:01 AM
Would a 'Greater Unseen Hand' type invocation be balanced (basically Telekinesis as opposed to Mage Hand). I thought of it only becasue a Warlock with Telekinesis might make the 'Master of the Unseen Hand' PrC useful, but doubted the balance of it (Telekinesis at will seems pretty powerful to me). Thoughts?

Were-Sandwich
2006-11-11, 11:33 AM
Hell yeah. I'd suffer through the suckyness of Warlock, just to getr MOTUH. Its not that great a PrC, but damn its cool.

Gralamin
2006-11-11, 10:56 PM
Well a Ring of Telekinesis is 75,000 gp, and is telekinesis at will, so I can see it as pretty balanced if its a dark or maybe a greater

Fizban
2006-11-12, 12:02 AM
Somewhere on the wizard's boards there was a telekinesis invocation, but it was seriously nerfed. I'd personally allow telekinesis every 1d4 rounds as a dark invocation, and give it a name referring to ghosts.

Were-Sandwich
2006-11-12, 06:36 AM
I think making it Dark is a bit harsh. By WBL guidlines a 12th level character can own a Ring of Telekinesis, so it should be alright as a Greater Invocation.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-11-14, 08:46 PM
Walking to the bus this morning I was just thinking how awesome an invocation for telekinesis would be, for the MOTUH class.