PDA

View Full Version : The Gamers films

Brock
2012-12-10, 01:39 AM
Apologies - couldnt see a thread about theses films already (I think they're brilliant btw) - can't wait to see the new one

"If this is about that farmer - I totally thought he was a demon!"

Dr.Epic
2012-12-10, 02:32 AM
Seen the first on and love it.

Socratov
2012-12-10, 05:24 AM
the first was a bit iffy to me (mostly due to publishing copyrighted material evasion), but the second was priceless! :smallbiggrin:

"I'm chaotic neutral!"
"No, you're evil"

hamlet
2012-12-10, 08:46 AM
"I have no idea."
*roll*
"Actually I do! Bardic Knowledge."

Socratov
2012-12-10, 08:55 AM
And ofcourse:
"Hide behind the mountain of dead bards!" :smallbiggrin:

"Sure, I'll go look at the architecture of this place, it's fascinating!" :smallamused:

hamlet
2012-12-10, 10:08 AM
And ofcourse:
"Hide behind the mountain of dead bards!" :smallbiggrin:

"Sure, I'll go look at the architecture of this place, it's fascinating!" :smallamused:

"My, what rustic yet fine architecture! I think I shall examine it more closely!"

Socratov
2012-12-10, 10:13 AM
yeah funny how they play with the paladin that has a stick up his arse and accompanying tropes :smallbiggrin:

hamlet
2012-12-10, 11:18 AM
yeah funny how they play with the paladin that has a stick up his arse and accompanying tropes :smallbiggrin:

A good example of both a paladin who takes himself a bit too seriously and a party that is absolutely as inflexible as the paladin and insists on the right to be complete sociopaths.

Yes, the whole Paladin's are stupid meme annoys me. Why do you ask?

In any case: "Where did you get that tomatoe?"
"Hello, I'm a bard."

Dienekes
2012-12-10, 11:28 AM
On a whole the second film could be seen as a refutation of the stupid paladin, as throughout the movie the Pally actually grows more lenient and able to make sacrifices for the party, while everyone else stays evil until the end (or until they are forcibly converted by GM fiat, also, I would have thrown my book at the GM if he tried those shenanigans)

Anyway, love the movies, can't wait for the next one. Also, as an aside these movies were how we got my friends now fiance to join our gaming group in college. Good times.

Killer Angel
2012-12-10, 12:06 PM
Both the first and the second film are hilarious, but maibe I give a little edge to the first.
"Hello, I'm Magellan, a traveling mage." :smallbiggrin:

hamlet
2012-12-10, 12:25 PM
Both the first and the second film are hilarious, but maibe I give a little edge to the first.
"Hello, I'm Magellan, a traveling mage." :smallbiggrin:

You seem a trustworthy fellow, would you care to join us on our quest?

Cikomyr
2012-12-10, 12:37 PM
I only seen the 2nd one, and it was pure gold!

"Sir Osric! An evildoer afoot!"
"WHERE?!" /charges into the darkness
"All right, let's torture the baddy"

Brock
2012-12-10, 03:40 PM
Nice to see several posts - loved the fighter build - dont know if you could get 13-20 as crit range - but i know you can get a 15-20 from 3.5.

"As if killing the Bard impresses us"

Sith_Happens
2012-12-10, 04:22 PM
Nice to see several posts - loved the fighter build - dont know if you could get 13-20 as crit range - but i know you can get a 15-20 from 3.5.

Yeah, two of the three feats in her combo are fictional (the real one is Improved Initiative).

Which reminds me, Cass is an utter failure as a munchkin.
Q: "Who takes Improved Iniative?"
A: Anyone with a spare feat slot and half a brain.

Not to mention that not only did he play a monk, he tried to play an elf monk.

JoshL
2012-12-10, 04:24 PM
Big fan of both, excited for the third. Followed the first season of JourneyQuest and liked it a lot, but I haven't been keeping up with web series, so I haven't seen the second. Great stuff! Cracks me up every time I watch it (which has been more times than I should admit).

Tons of funny lines and concepts throughout both, but I love the little details...the theif taking the wallet at the end of the first...drinking Mt. Doom soda...

...how much XP do I get for the peasant?

Mystic Muse
2012-12-10, 04:43 PM
"You're going to sneak attack him with a ballista?"

Killer Angel
2012-12-10, 04:58 PM
You seem a trustworthy fellow, would you care to join us on our quest?

The DM asked for it. Pure golden roleplay! :smallbiggrin:

And how can we forget about "lift with the legs, Rogar, not the back". lol

pffh
2012-12-10, 05:29 PM
My only problem with these films is that they have a similar effect on geeks as Monty Python and the holy grail has. Nonstop quotes for hours on end.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-10, 07:49 PM
The best thing with these films is that they have a similar effect on geeks as Monty Python and the holy grail has. Nonstop quotes for hours on end.

Fixed for you.:smalltongue:

Dienekes
2012-12-10, 09:49 PM
My favorite quote has always been:

Player: The four elements like man alone is weak. But together they form the strong fifth element. Boron.
GM: Lose 50 experience points.

Dr.Epic
2012-12-10, 09:58 PM
My favorite quote has always been:

Player: The four elements like man alone is weak. But together they form the strong fifth element. Boron.
GM: Lose 50 experience points.

The best quote is...

The Shadow!?!?

Ravens_cry
2012-12-10, 10:19 PM
I liked and disliked Gamers: Dorkness rising. On one hand, it had some lovely humour, and I am willing to give it a lot of slack thanks to it's obvious amateur quality that still had a certain verve.
Finally, also it is *very* quotable.
It's just . . . I was a bit iffy about the newbie girl comes in and shows up the alleged 'power gamers' at their own game.
If there was a feat in Core that allowed me to (IIRC) move and attack every time I critted, in ye olde 3.0 with ye olde 3.0 crit rules, my gods, I'd have been all over that feat like a dog on a steak covered in gravy ,and I don't consider myself too much of a power gamer and definitely not a munchkin.
It just feels like the lazy old affirmative action plot that is rather tiresome.
Also, though I know such a spell exists to separate a divine caster from their deity, I would consider it to be a very, very evil thing to use by a DM. Like Disjunction, it's not something you want to bring into play.
The goddess turning one player's character from a sorceress to a priestess, wow, I would never do that to a player, unless I had their previous OK with it.
Not something to be brought up spur of the moment at the end.

Socratov
2012-12-11, 03:29 AM
well, it was obvious they are closely acquainted with a site called TvTropes.org. I mean, the obvious tropes they subverted, the rest they played with or turned up to eleven. (especially if you know how to play DnD)

The_Snark
2012-12-11, 05:01 AM
I think my favorite bit may be Sir Osric's silly outtakes in the second movie. You get the feeling someone was hungry for breakfast when they filmed that...

Also, though I know such a spell exists to separate a divine caster from their deity, I would consider it to be a very, very evil thing to use by a DM. Like Disjunction, it's not something you want to bring into play.

That was actually one of the interesting things - it's not just the munchkin players who are at fault here; the DM is making mistakes too. This bit works much better the second time around, when used on an NPC paladin (as opposed to a PC cleric, yikes).

The idea that a new player could come in and show up all the experienced players does seem a little unlikely... but on the other hand, I know longtime players who always play wizards as blasters and think fighters and monks are fine. So hey, I'll roll with it. Maybe Cass isn't as good a power-gamer as he thinks he is.

Socratov
2012-12-11, 05:44 AM
snip

Maybe Cass isn't as good a power-gamer as he thinks he is.

DING-DING-DING! You go on for the dishwasher!:smallbiggrin:

hamlet
2012-12-11, 08:14 AM
The best quote is...

The Shadow!?!?

The Shadow!

Dienekes
2012-12-11, 08:55 AM
The best quote is...

The Shadow!?!?

The Shadow!

The Shadow.

White_Drake
2012-12-11, 04:13 PM
"You're going to sneak attack him with a ballista?"

Uh Huh! :smallbiggrin:

Drakeburn
2012-12-11, 04:16 PM
Uh Huh! :smallbiggrin:

"With a siege weapon?"

(I just saw the first one for the first time, and I just loved it. And I'm watching the second one as we type).

Cikomyr
2012-12-11, 04:43 PM
Also watching the 2nd one at the moment...

Now. I really love the ending. Although I have a question.

Why did the Sorceress reacted... PLEASED when she was told that she HAD to be good to cast her spell? I mean.. the player is actually happy to be forced to follow an alignment...?

Fruchtkracher
2012-12-11, 04:57 PM
Also watching the 2nd one at the moment...

Now. I really love the ending. Although I have a question.

Why did the Sorceress reacted... PLEASED when she was told that she HAD to be good to cast her spell? I mean.. the player is actually happy to be forced to follow an alignment...?

I would say that is mainly to show how all of them are taken by the greatness of roleplaying, and are cleansed from their evil munchkinery. Talk about clichee...

On another hand:
"I wanna steal his pants!"

Cikomyr
2012-12-11, 05:10 PM
I would say that is mainly to show how all of them are taken by the greatness of roleplaying, and are cleansed from their evil munchkinery. Talk about clichee...

Hey, cliche'd all you want, the idea of turning aside from munchkinery toward roleplaying is not a redemption story we see very often in media.

Dienekes
2012-12-11, 07:08 PM
Hey, cliche'd all you want, the idea of turning aside from munchkinery toward roleplaying is not a redemption story we see very often in media.

And that's why I enjoy it, despite the fact if my GM ever pulled those sort of shenanigans on me I'd throw my books at his face.

North_Ranger
2012-12-11, 07:30 PM
Praise be to thee, O Therin, Goddess of the Light.
Your radiance and mercy guide us safely through the night.
Illumine our darkness and keep us safe we pray.
That we may rise and worship you, O Keeper of the Day.

kpenguin
2012-12-11, 07:35 PM
Praise be to thee, O Therin, Goddess of the Light.
Your radiance and mercy guide us safely through the night.
Illumine our darkness and keep us safe we pray.
So we may rise and worship you, O Keeper of the Day.

Can I say I found this to be a legitimately awesome moment? The bard, who had thus far been useless save in his uncanny ability to die, remembered a small setting detail from the beginning of the campaign and won the day.

North_Ranger
2012-12-11, 07:39 PM
Oh, definitely. I get goosebumps every time I hear that song played or sung, and that moment definitely deserves the adjective "Crowning" and definition "of Awesome" and "of "Heartwarming".

Cikomyr
2012-12-12, 02:11 AM
Can I say I found this to be a legitimately awesome moment? The bard, who had thus far been useless save in his uncanny ability to die, remembered a small setting detail from the beginning of the campaign and won the day.

I don't remember when he heard that prayer, or how he knew it would have any effect...? :smallconfused:

Socratov
2012-12-12, 05:44 AM
I don't remember when he heard that prayer, or how he knew it would have any effect...? :smallconfused:

Bardic knowledge instead of know(religion), and simple prayers are easy to find

Cikomyr
2012-12-12, 06:13 AM
Bardic knowledge instead of know(religion), and simple prayers are easy to find

My question went 2 meters over your head, didn't it?

The_Snark
2012-12-12, 06:34 AM
He heard the prayer at the beginning when chatting up one of the priestesses (there was a brief conversation before "I roll to seduce her"). I'm not sure he knew it would help, it's just that singing at problems is what he does.

Quite possibly, the DM improvised the result because he liked it and wanted to reward the player. "Doing what's best for the story" doesn't always mean screwing over the PCs with no save.

Cikomyr
2012-12-12, 06:38 AM
He heard the prayer at the beginning when chatting up one of the priestesses (there was a brief conversation before "I roll to seduce her"). I'm not sure he knew it would help, it's just that singing at problems is what he does.

Quite possibly, the DM improvised the result because he liked it and wanted to reward the player. "Doing what's best for the story" doesn't always mean screwing over the PCs with no save.

Ah! This is what I wondered. Just before seducing the priestess? Man, that's serious memory power the player displayed. Agree, such amazing in story actions should be rewarded.

Janus
2012-12-12, 02:08 PM
Absolutely love these movies! :smallbiggrin: And being a paladin player myself, I really enjoyed Sir Osric, from his best to his worst moments.
Have to admit that I didn't care for Cas's remark about Mormons (since I am one), but as mentioned in the commentary, it's in-character for him.

I don't like the first movie as much, but it definitely has its moments. Heck, just little things like the absentee PC standing with his hands on his hips make me smile.

Cikomyr
2012-12-12, 02:26 PM
Just watched the 1st movie for the first time. It's definetly weaker than the 2nd, by a long shot. The characters are much more.. bland, less identifiable from each others. Less well setup. And some of the jokes fall flat.

Still happy it was so popular, as it allowed the creation of the 2nd..

The ending was.. surprisingly strong! The battle with The Shadow was boring, but the finale was very interesting. I wonder where the GM was going with his "there is more doors"

Drakeburn
2012-12-12, 08:03 PM
I have to agree that the second movie was better. I couldn't stop laughing from all those dying bards, the giant cat scene, and the sudden shotgun and lightsaber.

Although the first movie did have its moments, like the rogue backstabbing with a ballista and the surprise ending.

hamlet
2012-12-13, 08:22 AM
and lightsaber.

Psionic spirit blade you mean.

Saph
2012-12-13, 08:33 AM
The sneak attack scene from The Gamers is one of my favourite RPG take-offs ever. :smallbiggrin:

I actually liked the first Gamers movie more than the second, mostly because of the "I'm not only smarter, better-looking, nicer and more socially skilled than you, I'm also better at the game you've spent your whole life playing!" character in Gamers 2. (Though some of the jokes were hilarious – "Hide behind the pile of dead bards!")

Can't wait to see number 3!

tiercel
2012-12-14, 11:49 PM

To be fair, the bard isn't actually completely useless before this point:

calming the hungry peasant long enough to get plot information out of him before Sorceress Happens
Countersong! (vs the demon)
charming Nodwick into relinquishing the Munchkin-chest

However, yes, these are dominated by a combination of "you spoony bard" pratfalls, hilariously bad luck, and the player's determination to just embrace "the redshirt effect" and use it to his advantage -- all of which make the bard's eventual Crowning Moment of Heartwarming/Awesome that much more impressive.

But it's one of the things that makes the movie's parodies that much more effective -- they tend to show at least a bit of the best and worst of all the stereotypes, something that, along with more characterization, The Gamers 2 has the luxury of getting into for longer than the original.

It's worth nothing that while Joanna acquits herself early on with fictional-rules character-building panache, that she gets to meet the "min" in Daphne's "min-max" build (when she discovers in the BBEG fight that her fighter really can't tank for beans). It's also worth nothing that Joanna isn't necessarily better at playing D&D than the other players, but she might be better at playing Lodge's game to a degree since she is more interested in the roleplaying aspects -- the very aspects he's desperately trying to railroad his players into.

Hopeless
2012-12-15, 04:58 PM

Back at the start when they went to the temple he asked about the music well he also seduced the priestess with the vow of celibacy...

He was restored to life at the end in that very temple so was probably reminded of that and when confonted by the villain with the mask that grants him the powers of the goddess he served he figured being otherwise unable to interfere he'd use the one things bards can do... okay maybe three things Bards can do and lucked out or his dm threw him a bone which is more likely as the paladin was used to recognise what was holding the goddess prisoner... okay maybe that went over my head too!:smallredface:

Sith_Happens
2012-12-16, 06:53 AM
DING-DING-DING! You go on for the dishwasher!:smallbiggrin:

Pretty much this? Did I mention that he wanted to play an elf monk? Because I did mention it. Pretty sure that's grounds for immediate revocation of one's munchkin license.

Cikomyr
2012-12-16, 09:23 PM
Pretty much this? Did I mention that he wanted to play an elf monk? Because I did mention it. Pretty sure that's grounds for immediate revocation of one's munchkin license.

Wowowow. Stop there. Being munchkin has nothing to do with how good you are a gaming the game (powergaming). Being a munchkin has everything to do HOW you approach the game. Who makes choice based on how much material gain they get out of it (XP included) as opposed to roleplaying

Drakeburn
2012-12-17, 06:10 PM
Can't wait to see number 3!

Neither can I!!! They have more than enough to work on the project. I wonder what is in store for The Gamers: Hands of Fate! :smallbiggrin:

Drakeburn
2012-12-24, 08:33 PM
This is kind of off-topic in a way, but what do you guys think of JourneyQuest?
Personally, Glorion is one of my favorite characters (along with the "DM" as well). With all the scenes where Glorion slashes through everything the "DM" has to offer was quite hilarious. I don't suppose any IRL DM's out there had any similar experiences like that?