PDA

View Full Version : Metallic Dragons and other good aligned encounters

Serpentes
2012-12-10, 07:39 AM
Greetings!
I'm currently DMing for a party of mostly neutral characters (with token good and token evil teamamtes) - they're nearing the end of their second adventure which's going to end with a climatic battle against pair of Black Dragons.

Before they were fighting mostly wild beasts, orcs, goblins, bandits... orc bandits with wild beasts... and some undead along the way.

Their main motivation is probably profit but it helps when the village they stop by asks for help with whatever they're going to fight in the end.

Here's my problem - how to put them against good aligned creatures?

Metallic dragons in particular.

I could only think about very few reasons like:
1) The bandits you've just defeated few days ago stole the hoard of local silver dragon - now he's pissed.
2) Let the PC learn the item you know he wants is stored in the hoard of local Metallic Dragon.
3) Brass and Copper Dragons might consider something as good while they hurt local humanoid population.
4) Golden, Silver and Bronze Dragons might go righteous - slaying people of questionable alignment for greater good.
5) An evil being or some malicious power drives a metallic dragon mad or takes over it's mind.

Do you have any other ideas? I would be grateful for any piece of advice regarding engineering this kind of encounter.

Morrolan
2012-12-10, 07:47 AM
I think that 1 is a good option. Have it be so that the dragon is not just pissed but enraged. In his rage he is (not on purpose) destroying farms, forests and houses alike while searching for the thieves.
Kind of like Smaug in the hobbit, but this dragon would be good. That means that you can sort of give the players two solutions: Either fight the dragon to kill/knock him or calm him down with words.

Runestar
2012-12-10, 08:28 AM
Perhaps what the PCs are doing, while seemingly good in their eyes, might be viewed as against the greater good or interests as interpreted by the dragon?

For instance, while the black dragons might be oppressing the locals, they are also what are keeping out would-be invaders who too fear the dragons' might? Killing the dragons might create a power vacuum, leading to a war amongst the other races like orcs and goblins, each vying for dominance of the land.

The dragon decides the black dragons represent the lesser of 2 evils, and so seeks to dissuade the PCs from defeating them, resorting to force when negotiations break down.

There is the issue of why the dragon doesn't opt to parlay with them first, but decides to attack outright.

Alternatively, have the black dragons be responsible for spreading rumours that the PCs are amoral dragon-killers who have killed someone dear to the good dragon. The dragon is consumed with rage and seeks out the PCs without first bothering to ascertain the truth.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-10, 08:33 AM
-Someone insults dragon is disguise
-One of the evil folks enrages a dragon enough to act
-Good dragon not actually good
-dragon forced to help as children/mate held hostage
-mistaken identity
-offer so tempting party agrees despite the dragon being good

hymer
2012-12-10, 08:41 AM
It seems to me that reasons to kill good dragons are much the same as those for killing evil dragons. The dragon's hoard, cross purposes, vengeance, fame.

A problem (or opportunity) exists, however. The token evil party member(s) are fine with killin evil creatures. The token good(s) have problems killing good creatures, however. And generally, killing good guys moves you faster towards the evil end of the spectrum than killing evil guys moves you towards good (if it moves you at all).

Darth Stabber
2012-12-10, 08:44 AM
It seems to me that reasons to kill good dragons are much the same as those for killing evil dragons. The dragon's hoard, cross purposes, vengeance, fame.

A problem (or opportunity) exists, however. The token evil party member(s) are fine with killin evil creatures. The token good(s) have problems killing good creatures, however. And generally, killing good guys moves you faster towards the evil end of the spectrum than killing evil guys moves you towards good (if it moves you at all).

Everyone knows that evil is one big happy family, why else would demons and devils hold the Blood Picnic all over the lower planes. The last one was potluck, Orcus brought a wonderful roast, and asmodeus brought this terrific chili. Pazuzu's kind of lazy though, all he brought was a bag of chips. I was hopping for some homestyle obyrith cooking.

hymer
2012-12-10, 08:53 AM
Well, I wouldn't put it like that, but yes. :)