PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Caster Class Confliction

Cranthis
2012-12-10, 10:00 AM
Yay for alliteration. But to the point! Of the following classes, which combination of them produces the best sneak caster?

Base Classes:
Rogue
Spellthief
Sneak Attack Fighter

Prestiges:
Unseen Seer
Arcane Trickster
Daggerspell Mage
Spellwarp Sniper (I'm aware its not actual sneak attack)
Magelord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050202a&page=2)

If I missed any feel free to say so, but thats all I could come up with for now.

Answerer
2012-12-10, 10:05 AM
Beguiler, which is a better choice than any you just listed, with the possible exception of a Wizard into Unseen Seer.

Cranthis
2012-12-10, 10:08 AM
I didn't put any caster base classes on purpose, since almost any of them can make it in.

Answerer
2012-12-10, 10:11 AM
Spellthief...?

Anyway, the best sneaky caster involves zero levels in a "sneaky" base class like Rogue.

If you must dip for Sneak Attack, Spellthief is somewhat interesting because of Master Spellthief, I guess.

Keld Denar
2012-12-10, 10:14 AM
Spellthief or Rogue into Wizard into Unseen Seer, hands down. Rogue our Spellthief is kinda a toss up. Rogue gets a couple more skill points (8 to be exact) and a slightly broader skill list, but ST gets the ability to drain off high level slots from foes. You won't have enough ST levels to put those slots to use, though, so it's not a huge advantage.

USS, however, is hands down the best. 6+ int skill points is the most out of any of those listed, and it it's 3/4 BAB, and it has great class features. The best feature is by far the advanced learning. Picking up Hunters Eye and Divine Insight make you twice the Rogue of any equal level Rogue. That is amazing, to say the least.

Gwendol
2012-12-10, 10:16 AM
Yes, anything into Unseen Seer.

Cranthis
2012-12-10, 10:18 AM
Yes, but that leaves 5 open levels.

Keld Denar
2012-12-10, 10:31 AM
It doesn't much matter at that point. The best thing would be anything full caster, skill points are less important now that you have 8th level spells. Incantatrix would be a strong choice for at least 4 levels for Persistomancy, and probably one level in Archmage for Arcane Reach, assuming you can swallow the prereqs. You could also tap 2 levels into Divine Oracle to pick up Evasion, or 4 levels in Fatespinner for the rerolls. Doesn't really matter much, as long as it is full casting.

nedz
2012-12-10, 10:39 AM
You seem to have ignored Scout ?
OK — you have to run around a lot, but it does work.

And yes full casters are more powerful, but that wasn't the question.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-12-10, 10:48 AM
Spellthief also has a handy ACF in a Dragon magazine that gives you bard casting, allowing for some UM shenanigans on top of USS.

Cranthis
2012-12-10, 10:50 AM
Spellthief also has a handy ACF in a Dragon magazine that gives you bard casting, allowing for some UM shenanigans on top of USS.

Any idea which one?

Keld Denar
2012-12-10, 12:08 PM
That ACF doesn't really make much difference. You lose nothing, but all you gain are a couple of 0th level spells. You are only taking 1 ST level, after all. The only way it would help is if you took levels in UM, but that would take away from levels of USS, which is the superior class in this situation.

gorfnab
2012-12-10, 07:27 PM
Any idea which one?
Trickster Spellthief Variant (Dragon 353)

Rogue or Spelltheif 1/Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF, CC) 5/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 4 - is a fairly decent sneak attacking spellcaster.

Sneak Attacking Spellcasters Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240)