PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Best way to improve the threat range of rays?

RndmNumGen
2012-12-10, 03:33 PM
I'm looking for a way to get an increased threat range with Enervation, but I'm struggling to come up with a good solution. It seems my only option so far is the Improved Critical(Ray) feat, but that +8 BAB requirement is really nasty for a Wizard, and I want it much sooner than Lv16, at which point Enervation has lost a lot of it's punch.

Are there any other methods to improve the threat range of spells or, failing that, get around the BAB requirement for Improved Critical? Say, as a prereq-less bonus feat or something?

NightbringerGGZ
2012-12-10, 05:02 PM
When a magus uses Spell Strike as part of Spell Combat he can use the weapon's critical threat range. This normally only works with melee touch spells, but the Myrmidarch archetype lets you use Ranged Touch spells with your ranged weapon.

Alternatively, a normal Magus can use the Close Range arcana to deliver Ranged Touch spells as melee touch spells.

Another option would be to go down the Eldritch Knight Path, allowing you to qualify for the feat a bit earlier.

Tokuhara
2012-12-10, 05:02 PM
I usually go with a Spellslinger in this rare case. Yeah, the Improved Critical (Ray) is your only option, The other critical feats do stack with say Evervation. Plus, if you choose a single firearm (say a musket), with Spellslinger, you now have a 19-20 x3 Critical on the enervation. For those following at home, that's 1d4 x3 negative levels to a target, which can completely hose some poor screwball.

RndmNumGen
2012-12-10, 06:14 PM
Enervation isn't on the Magus spell list.

Spellslinger could work, though I'm confused as to how exactly you're getting the 19-20 threat range, as the class only gives you the x3 crit chance.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-12-10, 06:56 PM
Magus is the way to go, they do get the ability to add spells to their list albeit it requires a stupid amount of multiclassing or extremely high (19) levels in Magus. But you could just play a Samsaran as your race and add it to your list that way, using Mystic Past Life.

Use Spellstrike to give it a 18-20 threat range and then your arcana ability to make it keen.

Also, Enervation absolutely does not lose its punch at higher levels! It's worthless on giant piles of HD meat type enemies, but it is at all levels. You unleash it on outsiders and spellcasters, who become much weaker with just a few lost CL or effective HD. It's also a great spell to empower, maximize, or (if 3E is allowed) Split Ray.

Psyren
2012-12-10, 07:11 PM
Note that in PF, negative levels aren't as crippling as they are in 3.5. You will weaken enemy mages, but not necessarily Xykon them into combat irrelevance.

Tokuhara
2012-12-10, 07:16 PM
Enervation isn't on the Magus spell list.

Spellslinger could work, though I'm confused as to how exactly you're getting the 19-20 threat range, as the class only gives you the x3 crit chance.

Improved Critical. Improved Critical (Ray) gives you 19-20, the class gives you x3, and grab some more Critical feats. Not great, but hey. You're a death ray mage.

http://fakeposters.com.s3.amazonaws.com/results/2012/06/25/fb6cl9stiz.jpg