PDA

View Full Version : Acid Splash Spell Resistance?

Story
2012-12-10, 06:50 PM
Is Acid Splash supposed to have SR:No? I noticed that Ray of Frost and Sonic Snap have SR but Acid Splash doesn't for some reason. Ordinarily, it wouldn't matter, but when you start stacking Fell Metamagic and to hit buffs, it becomes very powerful.

P.S Is there any way to use Fork Ray on this? Unfortunately it rounds down, so if you roll a 1 on damage, the Fell Drain won't take effect.

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-12-10, 06:55 PM
Is Acid Splash supposed to have SR:No? I noticed that Ray of Frost and Sonic Snap have SR but Acid Splash doesn't for some reason. Ordinarily, it wouldn't matter, but when you start stacking Fell Metamagic and to hit buffs, it becomes very powerful.Most conjuration spells that deal damage don't allow spell resistance. Check Acid Arrow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/acidArrow.htm) in core and the various Spheres in the Spell Compendium.

The idea is that while the acid was magically created, it isn't actually magical in and of itself, so spell resistance doesn't affect it.

EDIT: As for Fork Ray, there are a few ways to make Acid Splash deal more damage. Since it allows an attack roll, sneak attack can be added to it. While I can't find a ruling on it, I would rule in one of my games that so could point blank shot, for the same reason. Both require you to be within 30 ft. of the target.

nedz
2012-12-10, 07:59 PM
Acid Splash is an Orb not a Ray.
This means that Fork Ray may not work ! (Actually I'm assuming you mean Split Ray ? In which case it definitely will not work)

Compare

Energy Substitution (Cold) Acid Splash V Frost Ray

They both have the same range, damage, etc.
The former has no SR but can't be used with Split Ray
The latter has SR but can be used with Split Ray

Story
2012-12-10, 09:17 PM
I just discovered that according to rounding rules, the minimum on a damage roll is 1, even if you're rounding it down. Unfortunately, Acid Splash isn't a ray, so the whole thing is irrelevant.