PDA

View Full Version : fastest way to recharge power points

samuraijaques
2012-12-10, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,

Tell me if this works or not. I'm trying to make a character that can reliably replenish his PP during combat. I have been working on the fastest possible way to replenish PP. The character's name is Levi and he is level 15

Here is how it goes.

Pre combo set up:
This combo requires a spell to power erudite that knows mental pinnacle, bestow power and schism. Before beginning, Levi's psicrystal must spend a full-round action to establish a mental link to gain access to his powers. additionally, a torc of power preservation and stone power both make this combo more efficient

Round 1: Levi manifests mental pinnacle for 11PP (11 +2 for the expensive material component -1 torc -1 stone power) sharing it with his psicrystal and granting them both 45PP (3 x manifester level) and his psicrystal is now a 15th level manifester. Using schism, Levi then manifests bestow power as his swift action for the round, augmenting it to 13PP and granting himself 10PP. Levi's psicrystal then also manifests bestow power (from Levi's powers by making a psicraft check) augmented to 15PP (no stone power or torc for the psicrystal) to grant Levi an additional 10PP.

So far levi has gained 20PP and expended 11

Round 2: Levi manifests bestow power augmented to 13PP with a standard action and with schism to grant himself 20PP. Levi's psicrystal manifests bestow power augmented to 15PP to grant him another 10PP

So far Levi has gained 50PP and expended 11

After that he repeats rounds 1-2 over and over, gaining 39PP every time he does so

So if we average that out, Levi is gaining about 19PP every round (6 seconds). His total power point pool is 210 which means that he can go from a completely empty power point pool to full in a minute and 6 seconds (provided he has enough PP to manifest the first mental pinnacle)

To make things even sillier, Levi can manifest temporal acceleration and keep it going with temporal reiteration turn after turn and still make a net profit of PP with the above method. This means that Levi can fully restore his power point pool in a single swift action of real time.

Did I miss something or is this totally plausible?

Crazy as it may sound, I am looking for ways to improve this. I want the power point regeneration to be as efficient as physically possible. So if anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

docnessuno
2012-12-10, 09:35 PM
Full manifesting class 5 (Ardent is the best option) / Metamind 10
Pick a race that doen't need to sleep (Undeads, Warforged)
Use metamind's capstone
Use a swift action to manifest temporal reiteration every round.
Or persistent temporal reiteration every day (3.0).
Or linked temporal reiteration every round.
Welcome to the land of infinite PPs.

TuggyNE
2012-12-10, 09:53 PM
There's maybe half a dozen markedly different ways of doing this, although most of them use some combination of the original torc of power preservation, earth power, midnight something-or-other (MoI), and some means of sharing bestow power around. And, of course, only some of them are practical in combat.

samuraijaques
2012-12-10, 10:35 PM
@docnessuno
the only problem with that is that you lose 5 manifester levels to do that. definitely not worth it when you can use this method as early as that one and it is potentially just as effective.

@tiggyne
the only problem with those methods is that they are slow. I am specifically looking for a method that is as fast and efficient as possible.

thanks for the replies

Rubik
2012-12-11, 04:28 AM
@docnessuno
the only problem with that is that you lose 5 manifester levels to do that. definitely not worth it when you can use this method as early as that one and it is potentially just as effective.You only lose three if you take levels in illithid savant.

Also, metamind is great for epic, especially with Practiced Manifester.

You could also manifest Synchronicity + Mental Pinnacle with the Linked Power feat linking them together. Free pp and standard actions every round.

docnessuno
2012-12-11, 06:38 AM
@docnessuno
the only problem with that is that you lose 5 manifester levels to do that. definitely not worth it when you can use this method as early as that one and it is potentially just as effective.

True but with ardent you still end up with ML 19 and 9th level powers, as well as the dominant ideal (a reworked time mantle is the best option).

And the temporal reiteration trick has the added bonus of persisting every effect (and not only psionic powers) that is ever cast on you. Get buffed up by wizards and clerics and walk around with more powerups than you could ever imagine. And you can do it with other people too!.

Psyren
2012-12-11, 11:14 AM
the only problem with those methods is that they are slow. I am specifically looking for a method that is as fast and efficient as possible.

Azurin Psion 5 with:

- Midnight Augmentation
- Bestow Power
- Improved Essentia Capacity
- Psionic Meditation

You can now recharge 1 PP as a standard action as often as you want.

shaikujin
2012-12-11, 11:15 AM
This might interest you if you've not seen it yet:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177889

Look for "Garryl's Casual Disconcern for the Action Economy"

7 rounds to get 180~ PP
10 rounds (1 min) to get around 1500~ PP

shaikujin
2012-12-11, 11:23 AM
This is another one mentioned by others before:

1) Feat : Body fuel
2) Feat : Bind Vestige (Naberius)

Burn 1 Str, 1 Con, 1 Dex each round. For each point burned, you get 2 PP, so that's 6 PP a round.

Binding Naberius heals 1 point in each damaged ability every round.

No as fast, but no fuss and requires just 2 feats. Do-able at level 1.

Psyren
2012-12-11, 11:25 AM
This is another one mentioned by others before:

1) Feat : Body fuel
2) Feat : Bind Vestige (Naberius)

Burn 1 Str, 1 Con, 1 Dex each round. For each point burned, you get 2 PP, so that's 6 PP a round.

Binding Naberius heals 1 point in each damaged ability every round.

No as fast, but no fuss and requires just 2 feats. Do-able at level 1.

This one does not work. Vestige abilities are supernatural, and thus qualify as "magical healing," which ability burn cannot be affected by.

shaikujin
2012-12-11, 11:37 AM
This one does not work. Vestige abilities are supernatural, and thus qualify as "magical healing," which ability burn cannot be affected by.

You are right, I never made that link before. Is there anyway to get around it you think?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-11, 11:49 AM
Ability burn was designed to be almost impossible to be easily cured, the easiest way would be going to a fast time plane or similar.

Psyren
2012-12-11, 12:08 PM
You are right, I never made that link before. Is there anyway to get around it you think?

Some argue that the Strongheart Vest soulmeld allows you to Body Fuel all day long. Rather than attempting to heal the burn, it instead prevents it from occurring in the first place. This would be identical to your own build (two feats, can be done at 1st level), only it would use MoI instead of ToM.

1. Shape Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest
2. Body Fuel

The counterargument is that you never actually TAKE the damage and therefore don't satisfy the trigger in Body Fuel that gives you PP. Check with your DM, and be wary of flying DMGs.

Stegyre
2012-12-11, 02:48 PM
Azurin Psion 5 with:

- Midnight Augmentation
- Bestow Power
- Improved Essentia Capacity
- Psionic Meditation

You can now recharge 1 PP as a standard action as often as you want.
I'm not seeing it, unless you include the original torc, which is well above level 5 WBL.
MA only reduces augmentation cost (and is also capped at PL, but that does not seem to matter in this case), so you are spending 3 pp (base) + 3 pp (augmentation) - 2 pp (MA) = 4 pp to gain 4 pp.
Of course, if you do it a lot, you will make it up on volume. :smallwink:

Psyren
2012-12-11, 03:18 PM
I'm not seeing it, unless you include the original torc, which is well above level 5 WBL.
MA only reduces augmentation cost (and is also capped at PL, but that does not seem to matter in this case), so you are spending 3 pp (base) + 3 pp (augmentation) - 2 pp (MA) = 4 pp to gain 4 pp.
Of course, if you do it a lot, you will make it up on volume. :smallwink:

As written, MA reduces the cost of each augmentation. Which means that each one will be reduced by 2 (minimum 1.) So at ML 5, you can manifest Bestow Power augmented twice for 5 PP:

3 base + (3 - 2) + (3 - 2) = 3 + 1 + 1 = 5 PP cost, 6 PP gained, net 1 per round.

Now, they may have intended it to apply only once to the total augmentation, but MoI is notorious for poor editing.

Things get even more fun once you pick up Psycarnum Infusion later.

Stegyre
2012-12-11, 04:15 PM
Mm, now I grock your math.

While I think the reasoning is a tough sell, considering what the OP is contemplating, it strikes me as a non-issue.

samuraijaques
2012-12-11, 06:11 PM
@rubik

You could also manifest Synchronicity + Mental Pinnacle with the Linked Power feat linking them together. Free pp and standard actions every round.

that is exactly the kind of information i was looking for, thank you.

@docnessuno
with erudite you end up with ML 20 and 9th level powers

persisted temporal reiteration is something any high level psionic character can do. additionally, persisted temporal reiteration extends the duration of all effects on you including the bad ones. So if my erudite ran into your ardent he could just manifest hold person on you and you would have to end it to be able to move again.

@psyren
thank you but the methods you listed are all a little too slow for my purposes

@shaikujin
i have read that thread, very good information. i'm glad you brought it back up because now i will not forget to bookmark it.

as for garryl, my way is actually still faster because i can generate power points faster than temporal acceleration burns through them. this means that i can sit in temporal acceleration and keep it going with temporal reiteration indefinitely while still gaining power points, effectively refilling my power point pool as a swift action.

still though, that garryl thing is hilarious.

anyway, thanks a bunch for the continued replies.

looking forward to hearing from you

Psyren
2012-12-11, 06:40 PM
@psyren
thank you but the methods you listed are all a little too slow for my purposes

"Too slow?" Mine is 10 levels earlier than yours :smallconfused:

samuraijaques
2012-12-11, 07:17 PM
@psyren
you misunderstand. i meant it is slower as far as PP per round. your method generates 1 power point per round, mine generates about 18.

sorry if i was being vague

Emperor Tippy
2012-12-11, 09:01 PM
The easiest way is to use dual Affinity Fields to set up a feedback loop and charge you up to full in a round with one manifestation of Bestow Power.

If you can convince your DM that a Psicrystal with the Wild Talent feat can benefit from Bestow Power (as the Psicrystal has a PP reserve it becomes a psionic creature but since it has no stated manifester level, it can receive no PP from Bestow Power) then you can share your Affinity Field with it and you are good to go.

Psyren
2012-12-11, 09:36 PM
@psyren
you misunderstand. i meant it is slower as far as PP per round. your method generates 1 power point per round, mine generates about 18.

sorry if i was being vague

The level difference matters - it actually generates an additional 1 per level (so 11/round at 15, plus your Schism for 5 more, which is 9 more with Practiced Manifester for a total of 20, 22/round with Torc.)

With the added advantage of being able to use this to refill between fights long before level 15.

samuraijaques
2012-12-12, 01:43 AM
@emperor tippy
with mental pinnacle my psicrystal actually gains manifester levels. additionally, since i can share powers with my psicrystal. can't i just share affinity field with my psicrystal and have 2 going like that?

unfortunatley that isn't available till a few levels later

@psyren
you are gong to have to explain that to me. how does the standard torc, midnight augmentation, bestow power combo get better as you level?

thanks for the replies

Psyren
2012-12-12, 02:34 AM
@psyren
you are gong to have to explain that to me. how does the standard torc, midnight augmentation, bestow power combo get better as you level?

thanks for the replies

I did the math in more detail further up, but the short version is that every level you can spend 1 more PP on it, while every extra PP you spend gives you back 2. In short, every level above 4 is an extra PP returned. This applies to both you and your schism (once it gets above level 4 itself.)