PDA

View Full Version : Grimoire of the Rift Players Please Stay Out (Plot point help)

Morithias
2012-12-10, 09:15 PM
A plot point I've been toying with in the Grimoire of the Rift campaign is the DMPC of Patricia.

For those of you who don't know the plot of Grimoire, basically a D&D group accidentally rewrites reality so the real world is now a D&D world.

The character of Patricia looks at first to be a cheap joke "Ha, the DM got turned into a girl." but I actually have a very dark plot planned, and I want it to go as best as I can.

Basically I want to de-construct the whole "PCs attract trouble" thing.

Think about it, let's say there are 4 caravans going down a trade route per day, and the PC's are guarding one of them. The bandits only have enough resources to attack one before they have to regroup for a night or two.

Naturally due to the rule of plot, the bandits will ALWAYS attack the PC's caravan.

This is basically a problem I have when I play "scholar" "merchant" and basically PCs who never bother anyone or do anything really that would warrant all this attention....other than the fact that she's a PC.

So basically I'm trying to figure out how to make this girl's life hell. How to completely drive her over the edge until she's a paranoid wreck, and turns to using her scientist (legacy of blood) class levels. To basically slaughter anyone who draws a weapon in her presence. Ultimately becoming more of an a enemy to the other PC's than an ally. Having gone completely over the edge, and driven mad with envy. Equipping herself with mundane items that duplicate magical effects cobbelled together with a mix of steam punk, medieval, and modern technology, and going on a "purge" of the things that made her life hell, up to an including becoming a bounty hunter, and hunting down and murdering dragons who play the great game for no other reason than she's sick of them using humans (and herself) as pawns.

So what's the most plausible and best way, to write this route? To make it really convincing that while the other PCs love the adventure they got, this world has destroyed this woman's mind, because she can't go more than 2 days without something trying to kill her. (Which lets face it, in the real world would give someone brutal PTSD, apparently PC's all have "immunity to mental problems except when the plot calls for it" as a free feat).

Morithias
2012-12-11, 05:39 PM
Can I get some help please? I want this breakdown to seem legit, instead of just wangst that rivals that of Squall. I want the breakdown to make them feel sympathy, so they try to stop her, rather than kill her, and I don't have a ton of experience writing this kind of torment.

What's the best way to write a character who has been destroyed by PTSD, war, banditry, etc?

Grimsage Matt
2012-12-11, 05:48 PM
Well, if you want a lovecraftian vide, just use the vestiges used for this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13760005&postcount=12).

Or, add in some repicts, her name and the fact that her survival is making a dragon rich, as it's the long odds. Every time she overcomes a challange? The Dragon using her as a pawn makes more money. The harder/more scaring (read longer odds aginster her "winning"/surviving) the challanage, the greater the payoff. And the dragon is getting greedy, so it's arranging a ever increasing amount of games, with ever greater payoffs, side bets and such.

And ou just let her figure it out:smalltongue:

Morithias
2012-12-11, 05:55 PM
Well, if you want a lovecraftian vide, just use the vestiges used for this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13760005&postcount=12).

Or, add in some repicts, her name and the fact that her survival is making a dragon rich, as it's the long odds. Every time she overcomes a challange? The Dragon using her as a pawn makes more money. The harder/more scaring (read longer odds aginster her "winning"/surviving) the challanage, the greater the payoff. And the dragon is getting greedy, so it's arranging a ever increasing amount of games, with ever greater payoffs, side bets and such.

And ou just let her figure it out:smalltongue:

Hmmm...that's good, but it doesn't quite fit the portrayal of the Great Game in the setting...it's easily workable though. Damn, I shouldn't have written Lee with such a cheerful and perverted personality, it would be totally out of character for him to do this.

*Sighs* I need to do some research. Ugh, I hate psychology. And PTSD is a horrible thing to have, I'm not going to enjoy reading this.