PDA

View Full Version : Adventurer Conqueror King

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-10, 11:03 PM
I'm interested in this game mainly because the cover looks so damn cool. What I read about the game itself seems largely unimpressive, though: just yet another D&D retroclone. The title is also oh so silly.

However, I want to like it enough so I can buy it. Does anyone have any good thing to say about this game?

Jessica1990
2012-12-10, 11:13 PM
Thanks, will give it a try.

Tavis
2012-12-12, 12:34 PM
I'm one of the authors, so I have lots of good things to say about it! If you want less biased opinions, though, you can check out the index of reviews here (http://www.autarch.co/blog/adventurer-conqueror-king-reviews).

Quick reasons I might suggest for you to like it:

- There are many more pieces by cover artist Ryan Browning inside, who was an art historian & worked closely with lead designer and history buff Alex Macris to come up with a visual style using real-world clothing, architecture, etc. to evoke the game's default setting, which more closely resembles the late Roman empire than generic medievalism.

- The title is clearly stolen from R.E. Howard (Conan the Adventurer etc.) but catches what the game is good at: taking characters from the point where they're gathering copper pieces, to the loftiest reaches of power where they're sending caravans of gold to the corners of the world to recruit vast armies.

- Since it's a retroclone this framework for economic progression can fit into pretty much any game that's evolved out of D&D. Many things about the rules change over time, but the basic assumptions about prices etc. remain close enough that you can still get a lot of mileage out of the ACKS rules for building strongholds, managing domains, running a temple or a thieves' guild, etc.