PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Rain II: Summer's Waking Heart

Pages : [1] 2 3

Thanqol
2012-12-10, 11:21 PM
All-conquering Heat, O, intermit thy wrath!
And on my throbbing temples, potent thus,
Beam not so fierce! incessant still you flow,
And still another fervent flood succeeds,
Pour'd on the head profuse. In vain I sigh,
And restless turn, and look around for night;
Night is far off; and hotter Hours approach.

James Thomson, The Seasons, Summer (1727)

IC Thread 1: Spring Slowly Comes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230343)
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228232)

BlasTech
2012-12-10, 11:54 PM
"Sometimes, when the stars align and the wind is right," said Caine. "She listens all right, she just doesn't like talking I reckon."

"Fair enough." shrugged Isabelle, she could understand the thought behind that behaviour. "Anyway, I'd best hand this back, catch you guys in a second."

Leaving the small gathering behind, she trotted after Amy Acre, calling the girl's name when she was close enough for it not to be impolite.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-11, 08:19 PM
"Ok, I can live with that. I'm actually pretty hungry, now that you mention it." Jon finished changing and storing his gear and looked around for a lunch table as his stomach growled.

Thanqol
2012-12-11, 09:30 PM
"Fair enough." shrugged Isabelle, she could understand the thought behind that behaviour. "Anyway, I'd best hand this back, catch you guys in a second."

Leaving the small gathering behind, she trotted after Amy Acre, calling the girl's name when she was close enough for it not to be impolite.

Amy had just set her spear down. When called, she turned around silently.

"Ok, I can live with that. I'm actually pretty hungry, now that you mention it." Jon finished changing and storing his gear and looked around for a lunch table as his stomach growled.

The food was steak sandwiches and a general BBQ; lots of meat and onions. People started to disperse into individual conversations.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-11, 09:57 PM
Jon wandered around, eating a messy sandwich and trying to catch up on gossip as he slowly bounced between conversations.

[I can make a social roll if you like, or else Jon will probably pick up on anything he overhears that interests him]

BlasTech
2012-12-12, 07:01 AM
Isabelle approached and, after a short pause to consider how best to phrase things, wordlessly took the hat from her head and held it out for the girl to take.

Thanqol
2012-12-12, 07:08 AM
Jon wandered around, eating a messy sandwich and trying to catch up on gossip as he slowly bounced between conversations.

[I can make a social roll if you like, or else Jon will probably pick up on anything he overhears that interests him]

The conversations had just become general mingling and conversation, people getting to know each other and being friendly. Jon was a little bit excluded - the Summer Court just seemed to get on better with their own - but he was by no means unwelcome.

Isabelle approached and, after a short pause to consider how best to phrase things, wordlessly took the hat from her head and held it out for the girl to take.

Amy Acre took the hat. She turned to walk out in the direction of the downed scarecrow it had been taken from.

Deadly
2012-12-12, 10:30 AM
[Derp, missed this]

"Yeah - look, I gotta get to my tute. See you around, all right?" said the girl, hurrying off.

[No prob]

"Sure," Charlene said and waved. "Good luck."

She paused to consider her next move. The girl wasn't off to another lecture immediately, as one would expect, so Charlene had some time. She could go sit in on another random lecture; somehow she doubted Ashley had been thinking of one sleep-drawing girl in one business class, there ought to be more going on.

There was one other thing she had been thinking to do, however, and she might as well do it now. Turning, Charlene set about wandering the halls and outside areas of the university, trying to find anything that looked like any of the drawings, the chalice in particular. Perhaps it featured on some department logo or sports team or something, or on a mural or painting somewhere.

[Wits+Investigation I expect?]

Thanqol
2012-12-13, 03:37 AM
[No prob]

"Sure," Charlene said and waved. "Good luck."

She paused to consider her next move. The girl wasn't off to another lecture immediately, as one would expect, so Charlene had some time. She could go sit in on another random lecture; somehow she doubted Ashley had been thinking of one sleep-drawing girl in one business class, there ought to be more going on.

There was one other thing she had been thinking to do, however, and she might as well do it now. Turning, Charlene set about wandering the halls and outside areas of the university, trying to find anything that looked like any of the drawings, the chalice in particular. Perhaps it featured on some department logo or sports team or something, or on a mural or painting somewhere.

[Wits+Investigation I expect?]

[Sure, I'll take that.]

BlasTech
2012-12-13, 05:04 AM
Amy Acre took the hat. She turned to walk out in the direction of the downed scarecrow it had been taken from.

Isabelle watched until Amy was out of sight in the cornfield before heading back to the barbeque, looking for Vorel or Flint.

Deadly
2012-12-13, 07:07 PM
[Sure, I'll take that.]

[Spending willpower

Wits+Investigation-3 Untrained+3 Willpower = 4 : 6, 2, 8, 1

One success]

Charlene wandered for a time without much luck, but she wasn't going to give up easily. She might not find anything in the end, but she was going to do her very best to make sure she didn't miss anything. Thus determined, she carried on.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-13, 08:01 PM
Jon continued socializing and ate his fill, getting ready to go once it looked like Isabelle had finished up her own round of meet-and-greet.

Thanqol
2012-12-14, 04:07 AM
Isabelle watched until Amy was out of sight in the cornfield before heading back to the barbeque, looking for Vorel or Flint.

Jon continued socializing and ate his fill, getting ready to go once it looked like Isabelle had finished up her own round of meet-and-greet.

This seemed... normal. Like a bunch of friends just getting to know each other. Safe.

Pope did pull them aside to say, "No, seriously, if you ever see Amy Acre do anything or get any leads about what her deal is, please tell me," but unless they were trying to gather any specific information it would just be conversations until hometime.

[Spending willpower

Wits+Investigation-3 Untrained+3 Willpower = 4 : 6, 2, 8, 1

One success]

Charlene wandered for a time without much luck, but she wasn't going to give up easily. She might not find anything in the end, but she was going to do her very best to make sure she didn't miss anything. Thus determined, she carried on.

Charlene finally spotted the goblet she was looking for when walking through the Administration Office - the large, silver cup with the words FIRST PRIZE CHEERLEADING TEAM, OREGON. U. 2019. There were a lot of other trophies in this room along with it, silver and gold and burnished wood.

The dean's office was just up the hall.

BlasTech
2012-12-14, 05:05 PM
Isabelle moved amongst the summer court, enjoying the implicit feel of camraderie and acceptance within the group. It did strike her as odd that even Pope seemed to know little about Amy, but while her curiosity was piqued, she didn't want to ruin a good day by antagonising the cowgirl with questions.

She chatted to Vorel and Flint, summing her fight with Amy up into the line; "Missed her by that much", while holding her arms about as wide apart as they could go, and idly asking whether there was anyone who could teach her how to use those hopeless paintball guns any better.

She chatted with Mr Topchunkyguy for a bit about toys and distribution, steered mostly clear of Caine and his politics, and had a quick chat with Ash about how she was going.

[Not sure what kind of information or outcomes any of those conversations would yield under casual circumstances. Happy to take a roll or just to leave it as is]

the_druid_droid
2012-12-14, 08:24 PM
Jon also continued chatting, occasionally joining in a conversation with Isabelle. He was a little surprised to see that even Pope seemed not to know much about Amy, but then again, she looked like someone who appreciated her privacy, and her spear certainly wasn't worth arguing with.

Thanqol
2012-12-15, 04:26 AM
Isabelle moved amongst the summer court, enjoying the implicit feel of camraderie and acceptance within the group. It did strike her as odd that even Pope seemed to know little about Amy, but while her curiosity was piqued, she didn't want to ruin a good day by antagonising the cowgirl with questions.

She chatted to Vorel and Flint, summing her fight with Amy up into the line; "Missed her by that much", while holding her arms about as wide apart as they could go, and idly asking whether there was anyone who could teach her how to use those hopeless paintball guns any better.

She chatted with Mr Topchunkyguy for a bit about toys and distribution, steered mostly clear of Caine and his politics, and had a quick chat with Ash about how she was going.

[Not sure what kind of information or outcomes any of those conversations would yield under casual circumstances. Happy to take a roll or just to leave it as is]

Jon also continued chatting, occasionally joining in a conversation with Isabelle. He was a little surprised to see that even Pope seemed not to know much about Amy, but then again, she looked like someone who appreciated her privacy, and her spear certainly wasn't worth arguing with.

Flint mentioned he ran a Pentathlon course, one of the challenges of which was marksmanship. If she ever wanted to learn to shoot straight he had a firing range.

Topbreaker was eventually teased into giving a bitter rant about a hundred-and-thirty year old business being forced to shrink because they weren't able to compete with currency-manipulation and borderline slave labour. "Most people don't even think about what they're doing, but by buying Chinese they're tearing out the industrial heart of America."

Ashley seemed kind of down and broody and wasn't very talkative.

The day began to wind down, and people started to head home one by one.

Deadly
2012-12-15, 08:51 AM
Charlene finally spotted the goblet she was looking for when walking through the Administration Office - the large, silver cup with the words FIRST PRIZE CHEERLEADING TEAM, OREGON. U. 2019. There were a lot of other trophies in this room along with it, silver and gold and burnished wood.

The dean's office was just up the hall.

Charlene stopped and backtracked as she realized she had seen that cup before. Happy that she had found a clue, but unsure what the connection was, Charlene took some notes and looked around. It was getting a little late, but she now had a few ideas to go on for tomorrow.

She pocketed her notes and took a quick pass by the dean's office before heading back to join up with her friends.

BlasTech
2012-12-16, 01:50 AM
Isabelle kicked back on a fence as the court began to disperse. It had been a good day, her first really good day since returning from the hedge. She'd made some new friends, gotten a bit of sunshine and had a fair bit of fun.

It would have been premature to say that it had made her feel normal, but it felt like one little victory over what the Fey had done to her.

"Y'all ready to head back?" she said to Jon and Vorel, talking around a stalk of grass that she'd procured for that one joke. She'd been a bit sad that she'd had to give that hat back after all.

Thanqol
2012-12-16, 05:43 PM
Charlene stopped and backtracked as she realized she had seen that cup before. Happy that she had found a clue, but unsure what the connection was, Charlene took some notes and looked around. It was getting a little late, but she now had a few ideas to go on for tomorrow.

She pocketed her notes and took a quick pass by the dean's office before heading back to join up with her friends.

The office seemed fairly typical, but Charlene noticed some strange things around the doorway. Faint grooves in the door and frame, as if from talons, and the smell of brimstone.

Isabelle kicked back on a fence as the court began to disperse. It had been a good day, her first really good day since returning from the hedge. She'd made some new friends, gotten a bit of sunshine and had a fair bit of fun.

It would have been premature to say that it had made her feel normal, but it felt like one little victory over what the Fey had done to her.

"Y'all ready to head back?" she said to Jon and Vorel, talking around a stalk of grass that she'd procured for that one joke. She'd been a bit sad that she'd had to give that hat back after all.

"Good to go," said Vorel.

[Scene over, you guys are on your own, meet up and talk amongst yourselves, I'll respond when you cause something to happen]

the_druid_droid
2012-12-17, 12:20 AM
"I'm ready when you are." Jon crossed over to Isabelle and leaned against the fence beside her as he watched the Summer Court disperse. He wondered how the Spring gathering would compare when he went to visit them in a few days' time.

Deadly
2012-12-17, 08:03 AM
The office seemed fairly typical, but Charlene noticed some strange things around the doorway. Faint grooves in the door and frame, as if from talons, and the smell of brimstone.

Once again Charlene wondered at the sorts of things people could ignore, or maybe rationalize away. How much had she herself been oblivious to in the past? No doubt a whole lot.

She made a note of what she had seen and moved on. Looked like there could be danger here. Having friends nearby for that would no doubt be wise.

And with that she headed out to meet back up with her friends.

BlasTech
2012-12-17, 03:06 PM
"Right, lets get movin' then." replied Isabelle, making her way out of the farmyard. She gave Pope one last wave, and a cry of 'See ya, Amy!!" to the cornfield before heading back towards where Felix had dropped them off.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-17, 08:27 PM
Jon waved his goodbyes to the remaining Summer courtiers and then tagged along with Isabelle and Vorel toward home.

Deadly
2012-12-18, 07:08 AM
Charlene made a quick stop at a restroom to revert from Sara back to Charlene, so that her friends would recognize her.

"So, how did it go?" she asked of them when she found them.

Thanqol
2012-12-18, 07:58 AM
Talmage was out, and Vorel proceeded to her room to clean off after arriving back. She'd stay there with her computer unless detained or questioned.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-18, 11:26 PM
Charlene made a quick stop at a restroom to revert from Sara back to Charlene, so that her friends would recognize her.

Jon was still in a good mood by the time they reached the house. "Pretty awesome, actually. We played paintball - I hadn't picked up a gun in forever, but I used to love it. We met Amy Acre too. She was the whole other team, and even then we lost. She's something else."

BlasTech
2012-12-19, 04:42 AM

"Yeah, it went pretty well for getting our butts kicked." Isabelle replied. "Summer court has some pretty interesting people in it; a couple of guys I'd probably steer cleer of given the chance though.

Paintball was pretty fun, although Pope did some freaky mind thing while we played, ordering us around through our heads and the like. Apart from that, I'd say the day went well. How was your day off?

Deadly
2012-12-19, 08:38 AM
"Well, if I had known there was going to be paintball I might have tagged along after all," Charlene said.

"I don't think my day can compare in terms of excitement. I'm investigating the university and the dean for Vickrum, looking into the rumors about possession. So I sat in on a lecture and wandered around a bit. Found a girl who draws strange images in her sleep, one of which showed a silver cup which I found again near the dean's office. His door had claw marks and a smell of brimstone," she recounted briefly.

"So all I've really done is confirm that it sure looks like something's possessing the dean, and might be harassing sleeping students too."

BlasTech
2012-12-19, 10:44 PM
"Claw marks and brimstone" Isabelle deapanned. "Oh brilliant, that's always a good sign."

"Then again." She paused, thinking. "If the university really does have a fun-sized hellbeast in charge, why would he only be harassing sleeping students? You'd think he'd have eaten a few by now."

the_druid_droid
2012-12-20, 12:39 AM
"And are we even sure he's possessed, or could he be something more like one of us, or something from the Hedge or people's dreams?" Jon leaned against the wall and tapped a finger against his leg as he thought.

Deadly
2012-12-20, 08:41 AM
"Maybe the dean doesn't like students who slack off?" Charlene offered with a mild shrug. "But you're right, I don't really know what he is or what is going on, which is why I have to learn more. If something is getting into students' dreams while they doze off at lectures, perhaps I need to get in there too, and maybe that'll lead me to some answers about the dean as well."

BlasTech
2012-12-20, 07:44 PM
"Have you had much practice with walking dreams like that?" asked Isabelle, shifting uncomfortably at the thought.

Deadly
2012-12-21, 10:27 AM
"Have you had much practice with walking dreams like that?" asked Isabelle, shifting uncomfortably at the thought.

"Not exactly," Charlene admitted. "But most of these students have even less, and unlike them, I can learn it. If they can't protect themselves against what preys upon them, someone else has to."

BlasTech
2012-12-22, 12:55 AM
"Well, I can get behind that sentiment." Isabelle said. "But I don't know. After that deal with Gammy Snaps, I can't think of dreamwalking without remembering this really big head with really bad dental hygene. Do you have any ideas on how we could learn to control the dream a bit better, did you find any books at the university?"

the_druid_droid
2012-12-22, 01:21 AM
"Well, I can get behind that sentiment." Isabelle said. "But I don't know. After that deal with Gammy Snaps, I can't think of dreamwalking without remembering this really big head with really bad dental hygene. Do you have any ideas on how we could learn to control the dream a bit better, did you find any books at the university?"

"Well, we could ask someone for advice," Jon considered, then hastily added, "not Gammy Snaps though - I don't think she would be the best teacher..."

Deadly
2012-12-22, 09:01 AM
Charlene shook her head. "Sorry, I plum forgot to look into the whole shaman nightmare thing. As for advice and learning, Talmage mentioned Lafayette, the magistrate. Maybe if we ask around ... she'll find us, or something."

the_druid_droid
2012-12-22, 07:46 PM
"So what about tomorrow? Are you going to go back? I can come along; I don't have much planned until I get a chance to talk with the Spring Court at their meeting."

[Not actually sure how far away in-game the meeting is; it might actually be the next day, but I don't recall.]

BlasTech
2012-12-23, 06:33 AM
"Hey, I just had my outing for the day, so I'm free for whatever you guys wanna do." Isabelle shrugged.

Thanqol
2012-12-23, 06:35 AM
[Not actually sure how far away in-game the meeting is; it might actually be the next day, but I don't recall.]

[A week or so. It's also evening now - you can go out, but it'll be a night event.]

Deadly
2012-12-23, 07:26 AM
"I'll be going back tomorrow. You're welcome to tag along." Charlene looked around. "We could go out now, maybe see if we happen upon the magistrate or someone else who knows about shamans or nightmares. The bars should be filling by now."

the_druid_droid
2012-12-23, 10:49 PM
“Why not?” Jon shrugged, “We can go looking for information and Spring Court members, maybe ask them about how they get Glamour. I’m actually running low... and I’d rather not go to Caine.”

As he spoke, Jon levered himself back to a full standing position and turned toward the door, ready to go if the others were.

BlasTech
2012-12-24, 05:39 AM
"Sure, lets do this. I have a feeling I know which bar will have that DJ girl at it though." Isabelle noted, remembering the feeling of euphoria as they'd driven past one nightclub in particular.

Deadly
2012-12-24, 06:24 AM
"We could go there, then," Charlene said in response to Isabelle as she followed Jon out.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-24, 11:54 PM
“Lead on, Isabelle.” Jon motioned for her to take the lead, then paused as he reconsidered. “Or do you want to take the car? I’m fine with either.”

BlasTech
2012-12-25, 04:36 AM
"Let's roll then" Isabelle replied, tugging on her coat again and heading for the door. She tried to remember how far it had been from the nightclub to the mansion, tossing up whether she should bother with Felix and the car.

[Assuming the nightclub is nearby, she'd walk it. But if it's relatively far, she'd ask for Felix to give them a lift out; she won't drive herself given that she doesn't have her license on her]

Thanqol
2012-12-25, 08:16 PM
[Going anywhere from the Ivy Watchtower requires a car or several hours on foot through mountainous terrain - and having already made that walk today you're in no state to do so again.]

Felix drove them, materialising behind a corner and putting on his driving gloves just as they started looking for him. He dropped them outside the Cage and drove away.

The Cage was alight with colours arising from pitch blackness. Neon lights, glowsticks and pounding strobes splashed through the night like a painter's hallucinations. The music (http://youtu.be/PKtTmZnVhhI)pounded loud enough to hear with your bones. The people danced as if it was the reason they were alive. Glassy eyes, glazed over with drugs, flashed out at them through the darkness.

A series of black limousines were parked around outside, tall men in dark glasses, ear-cables and cheap suits standing around outside them. They looked like the secret service would if they recruited primarily from prison inmates.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-25, 08:59 PM
The clubs hadn’t exactly been Jon’s scene during school, but he had gone out at times with friends, and now his curiosity about the Cage and its connection to his Court drew him toward the entrance.

Deadly
2012-12-27, 08:37 AM
Charlene gave the place and the limos outside a glance. "Someone big must be in there," she said as she followed Jon.

She had been at a fair number of clubs, although not here in Oregon City, but it was much the same experience everywhere. The music and the glazed looks brought back memories, flooding in and bringing a sadness and sense of loss with it. Not just her loss, but the loss of presence and mind of every glassy-eyed shade in this place. Being sober at a club had always been a special experience.

Thanqol
2012-12-27, 09:01 AM
Inside the Cage, it was so loud as to blot out any attempt at speech lower than a full-on yell. There were some private booths over by the wall where it'd be quieter, but this place did not have a volume control.

Up on the stage, behind the blue holograms and weapons-grade sound system was the silhouette of a girl. Bright blue glasses glinted, along with the shape of wings.

Suit guys were moving through the dance floor - a professional pattern, searching. There was no urgency to it, just a constant patrol cycle. Some other suit guys, who looked way more like rich executives and way less like mercenaries, were drinking at the bar or chatting up women. Two guards flanked one of the booths.

BlasTech
2012-12-27, 06:07 PM
"Even if someone important is here, the security seems a bit, excessive." Isabelle observed as they went inside. Casting a look around the stage and the dance floor, she concluded that this club was a little darker than she remembered.

Not in the sense of the lighting; but in the sense of the hired goons everywhere. It set her on edge slightly, as if the people there knew there was something wrong going down but hadn't told her yet.

"Your court, your call!" She yelled to Jon, over the sound of the music.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-27, 11:24 PM
Jon drifted in the direction of the guarded booth, trying to get a look at who was inside. If it was someone from the Court, he might be able to get inside and learn something, but if not he could always pass it off as casual interest.

He barely managed to make out Isabelle's statement over the music, and waved a hand for them to stay put while he took a peek.

Thanqol
2012-12-28, 05:36 AM
Jon drifted in the direction of the guarded booth, trying to get a look at who was inside. If it was someone from the Court, he might be able to get inside and learn something, but if not he could always pass it off as casual interest.

He barely managed to make out Isabelle's statement over the music, and waved a hand for them to stay put while he took a peek.

One of the guards noticed him and tapped him on the shoulder. Big guy. Big smile. Definitely scary. "New in town?" He yelled over the music.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-28, 11:43 PM
One of the guards noticed him and tapped him on the shoulder. Big guy. Big smile. Definitely scary. "New in town?" He yelled over the music.

Jon took a half-step back. Maybe this hadn't been so bright.

"You could say that... I'm, ah, a friend of Talmage. I thought he might be back there." Name-dropping might keep him out of trouble, or it might be a serious mistake. Jon really hoped it was the former in this case as he tried to yell over the music.

Thanqol
2012-12-29, 12:41 AM
Jon took a half-step back. Maybe this hadn't been so bright.

"You could say that... I'm, ah, a friend of Talmage. I thought he might be back there." Name-dropping might keep him out of trouble, or it might be a serious mistake. Jon really hoped it was the former in this case as he tried to yell over the music.

"Oh, yeah. Head on in," yelled the thug, waving him towards the booth.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-29, 12:43 AM
"Oh, yeah. Head on in," yelled the thug, waving him towards the booth.

Jon breathed a little sigh of relief and nodded appreciatively.

"Is it ok if my friends come along?" He waved toward Isabelle and Charlene, "Talmage knows them too. They're cool."

Thanqol
2012-12-29, 12:44 AM
Jon breathed a little sigh of relief and nodded appreciatively.

"Is it ok if my friends come along?" He waved toward Isabelle and Charlene, "Talmage knows them too. They're cool."

"More is better," yelled the thug.

the_druid_droid
2012-12-29, 12:50 AM
Jon nodded again, and waved the others forward as he entered the booth and took a look around.

BlasTech
2012-12-29, 05:06 AM
Isabelle made her way through the crowd, following Jon and trying not to show any outward signs of intimidation; despite the whole bodyguard set up having her slightly on edge.

She kept her eyes open though, looking for any signs that might point to why there was such tight security here.

Deadly
2012-12-29, 06:55 AM
[Talmage, seriously? :smalltongue:]

If Charlene could have heard Jon over the music, she might have slapped him or something. Or at least been more worried.

As it were, she couldn't hear what was being said, and only saw the gestures to follow. She hesitated a bit before following Isabelle. All this security, and suddenly the guards are all friendly and letting us in?

Thanqol
2012-12-29, 07:01 AM
Inside the booth they suddenly came face-to-face with themselves. A mirror, floor length, surrounded by an elaborate gold lattice.

But unlike every other mirror they'd seen since they'd come back, it was showing their Meins. Isabelle, crackling with elemental power; Jon, tall and antlered; Charlene smooth faced and scarred.

The two guys in the booth looked at their reflections in the mirror. Then they looked at them.

They smiled. Lots of teeth. Lots of sharp teeth.

"Hey there," said the one on the left, thin with black hair and an entire design that came across as jagged. "You people selling?"

the_druid_droid
2012-12-29, 03:45 PM
They smiled. Lots of teeth. Lots of sharp teeth.

"Hey there," said the one on the left, thin with black hair and an entire design that came across as jagged. "You people selling?"

Jon’s heart sank, and he suddenly regretted bringing his friends along for this. He had hoped someone from the Court might be back in the room, but these weren’t the sort of people he wanted as part of Spring.

Resisting the urge to flee, Jon did his best to smile and explain, “Well, I’m still sort of getting the feel of things around here, so maybe you could be a little clearer on what you’re looking for?”

He silently hoped he could steer things away from these jagged people and their frightening smiles.

Thanqol
2012-12-29, 07:49 PM
The man paused, as if weighing up his options. Then he said, "Nah, if you don't know you're probably not selling. It's all right, good to meet new people. Sit down, have a drink, take a load off,"

He poured three cups from a bottle of wine, barely visible through the darkness.

BlasTech
2012-12-30, 03:33 AM
Isabelle took a seat, but made no move towards taking the drink just yet. Instead, she gave the two spiky booth-dwellers a friendly smile.

"Thanks for the hospitality" she began, offering them a hand. "No point getting off on a bad footing, right? Name's Isabelle."

Deadly
2012-12-30, 08:34 AM
Charlene tensed the moment they entered and the man asked his question. This did not look remotely like a good situation. Unpleasant looking men in black everywhere, sharp teeth, mildly (or highly) shady questions in a small booth of a night club ... and a mirror that showed their true faces. The word shady once again entered her mind. Better step carefully around this.

And then the mood changed and things seemed less threatening. But of course you never could be certain.

"Thank you." Charlene sat down but politely declined the wine before he had poured it. Better be friendly and play it nice and safe so long as you don't know what's what, she figured. "No wine for me, please."

the_druid_droid
2012-12-31, 03:10 AM
Jon didn’t turn down the wine, but before he reached for it, he tried to get a whiff of whatever had been poured into the glass from a distance, without seeming too obvious. He slowly extended a hand, “I’m Jon. Nice to meet you both.”

Thanqol
2012-12-31, 05:07 AM
Jon caught a whiff of something metallic and exceedingly sweet from the wine glass.

"Ferro," said the man on the left. He leaned forwards and smiled. "So, me and my pals, we're new in town - and you're not on the guest list, which must mean you are too. Fantastic place to be, actually, best in the world - because that means you're without attachment. I don't know what the locals have told you, my friends, but you have a gift - an exceedingly valuable and in-demand gift in that you can do magic."

Ferro leaned forwards. "Now, this town's been off everyone's radar for a long time, so there's a whole bunch of hickory traditions grown up from the people around here, but me and my associates - we're the big leagues. We have money, we have power, we have know-how. And we're recruiting. One month only. And we only take the best."

He produced a business card, put it on the table, and slid it across.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8069/day597s.jpg

"Maybe you have a problem you want fixed. Maybe you have a life you'd like to live. Maybe you'd like to know what you're really capable of. Maybe you'd like payback. Payback is a big one for your kind. Think it's impossible? We don't.

"If you're smart enough to find us from what's on that card we'll tell you more, tell you our deal, let you make a decision. If you're not, well, it was very nice meeting you."

the_druid_droid
2012-12-31, 09:04 PM
Jon took a small, tentative sip of the wine, still slightly curious. He looked over the business card and nodded quietly, although he wondered what they meant by "his kind". The two certainly didn't seem like normal humans, but it sounded like they weren't Changelings either.

Somehow, that last fact worried him. He wasn't sure he wanted to know what else might be lurking around in the world.

Thanqol
2012-12-31, 09:54 PM
Jon took a small, tentative sip of the wine, still slightly curious. He looked over the business card and nodded quietly, although he wondered what they meant by "his kind". The two certainly didn't seem like normal humans, but it sounded like they weren't Changelings either.

Somehow, that last fact worried him. He wasn't sure he wanted to know what else might be lurking around in the world.

Wine tasted good. Really good.

"All right? That's all you get for free. Anything else is contingent on you being smart enough to get what we're saying," said the man on the left. "Get out there, go check out the bar, have a drink on us, and think about it. All right?"

Deadly
2013-01-01, 08:07 AM
Charlene looked at the card for a while, then picked it up. "Thank you," she said, still unsure what to make of these fellows, but convinced that finding out more might be wise, one way or the other. As she turned the card between her fingers, a random impulse made her pause and glance at it in the mirror.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-01, 02:33 PM
Jon gave the wine a curious glance, then shrugged and picked up the glass to take with him. “Thanks, we’ll go have a look around. Appreciate the hospitality.”

He turned and watched the club moving for a moment as he waited for his friends to join him in departing.

BlasTech
2013-01-01, 03:34 PM
"Thanks" Isabelle said, her voice distant as she looked over the card. Maybe there was a book or something back at the tower that could give them a clue.

Wait, why did my mind go to books of all things? Isabelle wondered, maybe she'd just read too much last night.

"Right, we'll look into it, hope to see you guys again. Ferro." she gave the spiky buisness-thing a nod in farewell before following Jon back out to the dance floor.

Thanqol
2013-01-01, 09:06 PM
Charlene looked at the card for a while, then picked it up. "Thank you," she said, still unsure what to make of these fellows, but convinced that finding out more might be wise, one way or the other. As she turned the card between her fingers, a random impulse made her pause and glance at it in the mirror.

Card seemed paper and ink; there weren't any glamours or illusions on it that the mirror was seeing through.

They headed back out into the club. The music was still deafening; the liquor and drugs were flowing freely, the silhouette of the DJ up above glinted with electric blue, as inaccessible as an eagle atop a mountain.

BlasTech
2013-01-02, 07:35 PM
"Ya think that might be out spring court member up there?" Isabelle asked, straining to be heard over the sound of the music and pointing towards the DJ up top.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-03, 08:55 AM
"Ya think that might be out spring court member up there?" Isabelle asked, straining to be heard over the sound of the music and pointing towards the DJ up top.

"I'd take that bet," Jon shouted over the music, still sipping at the wine. "Want to mingle, or try to catch the DJ between sets?"

BlasTech
2013-01-04, 12:19 AM
"I dunno" Isabelle replied, having a look at the other bar patrons while simultaneously doing her best to not attract any druggies or drunks. "Anyone around look interesting?"

Deadly
2013-01-04, 07:49 AM
Charlene pocketed the card and followed her friends, taking a glance around along with Isabelle. "If she takes a break sometime," she yelled in response to Jon. "No sense just standing about until then."

Thanqol
2013-01-04, 08:45 AM
There was no one that seemed to stand out amongst the dancers, other than the security guys and the guys at the bar.

And looking at it, there didn't seem to be any way up to the DJ. It looked like a mountain of piled up audio and computer equipment spanning three technological decades, lacking stairs or ladders. It was perhaps possible to climb it, if you were brave and sure footed.

The figure at the top was just a silhouette of black and electric blue - distant and unattainable.

Down below the party continued to pulse, deep and visceral.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-05, 01:33 AM
Jon nodded at Charlene’s suggestion, the plan reinforced when he realized the DJ was working in something more like an eyrie than a stage.

“Mingling it is, then.” He headed over toward the bar, looking for someone to chat with while he finished off the wine.

Deadly
2013-01-05, 09:40 AM
Charlene followed Jon, feeling rather uncertain where to even begin among the great mob of partying people. She didn't remember these places being so overwhelming and full of faces. Maybe it was that she had never paid attention to every face before, but they all stood out now. She busied herself at the bar by ordering an orange juice and seltzer.

[I am reminded that Charlene has Presence 1 and Socialize 0. She's really lost her comfort in this sort of setting and is going to take some time getting back in the flow, so I'm not going to play her very bold here. Just a heads up for Jon and Isabelle]

BlasTech
2013-01-06, 03:23 AM
Isabelle swept up to the bar and was soon nursing a bottle of beer. Admittedly, she still felt rather put off by the atmosphere in the club. It was a good deal grittier than the ones she used to go with her friends. For starters, those had normally closed by midnight, and never would have let patrons get away with some of the more ... potent substances that some of the people here were enjoying.

[At 2 presence, and 1 socialise, Isabelle isn't going to be feeling much better at this]

the_druid_droid
2013-01-07, 02:24 AM
With the warm glow of the wine lingering in his throat and stomach, Jon's confidence seemed to bubble over. He took a seat at the bar, ordering another drink, and glanced around at the other clubgoers around him.

In a seat nearby was a pretty girl with short, dark hair, who sipped at her drink and nodded slightly along with the deafening music. Although this sort of thing hadn't really been Jon's way before he was taken, tonight he felt good - this was the Spring Court's turf, the drinks were flowing, and deep down he could feel a little of the animal magnetism stir - so the antlered Changeling decided to try and strike up a conversation with his bar-mate.

[Got tired midway through this post, so think of this as Part 1 of a two-part post, rather than a prompt for DM input, since we've already been cleared to act independently for a bit. Part 2, and possibly other stuff will be going up tomorrow.]

Thanqol
2013-01-07, 03:54 AM
[You can also make Glamour harvests, Composure+Socialise seems relevant]

BlasTech
2013-01-07, 06:37 AM
Isabelle sipped her beer.

She tapped the small tabletop that she and Charlene were sharing.

She sipped her beer again, before looking around the club.

Thirty seconds had now passed.

She sipped her beer again, contemplatively, before coming to an insightful conclusion.

"Ugh, this is boring." she said, before turning and grabbing the first guy she saw.

"Hey you, buy me a drink." she ordered.

Thanqol
2013-01-07, 10:39 AM
"Ugh, this is boring." she said, before turning and grabbing the first guy she saw.

"Hey you, buy me a drink." she ordered.

The guy looked around.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1373/candiceweb.jpg

... wait a minute. After a few seconds it clicked that he wasn't a guy at all - just a very boyish looking girl.

"... As you say," she said, brushing away her initial surprise at being spoken to. "Two more of these," she said to the barkeep, indicating the honey coloured cocktail she was holding.

Deadly
2013-01-07, 06:30 PM
Charlene took a sip of her drink and looked around at the people dancing, followed the rhythm of the music, watched at the lights dancing across their faces.

She wanted to dance. She had danced before. She had been good at it. It had come naturally to her, and she had always enjoyed it. But for years there had been no music but the beat of her heart and the horn blaring, no movement except the running and hiding. The hunt had taken over the part of her that once danced.

She took another sip and got up.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-08, 12:05 AM
To Jon's own surprise, he managed to get the girl talking, and they chatted about the crazy DJ's perch, the music, drinks, and half a dozen other things. It all felt easier somehow than he'd expected, and as the music and energy of the club continued to wash against him, Jon began to smile wide and drink in the atmosphere.

Eventually, the girl excused herself, but when Jon glanced toward his drink, he noticed scribbles on the girl's napkin - a name and phone number. His grin overflowed into a goofy smirk as he tucked it into a pocket. He wasn't even sure what he would do with it, but the whole thing had felt good. Really good. Jon decided he was going to like the Spring Court.

[Using this to set Jon on a trajectory to up Socialize. He doesn't have it, but it strikes me that he'll need it; that was an oversight.

Also rolling for Glamour harvest, pool is 3 - 1 = 2:

[roll0]
]

BlasTech
2013-01-08, 06:35 AM
... Huh.

Such was Isabelle's mental thought process when her impulsive tactic not only netted a girl, but actually worked with respect to getting a free drink.

"Have to admit I didn't expect you to actually buy me one." Isabelle confessed, once the music reached a level that she could be heard. "Now you'll have to stay long enough for me to buy you one in return."

"Isabelle." She smiled, offering the well dressed, if a little gender-confusing, newcomer a hand. "You come here often?"

Thanqol
2013-01-08, 07:05 AM
"Artemis," said the girl, shaking Isabelle's offered hand.

She spaced out for a moment, as if looking at something over Isabelle's shoulder. Then she focused again - the transition was crisp, unmistakable.

"I do not come here frequently, no. In truth, I am here on business - but it consists primarily of tedious waiting and would be of little interest to you."

Elsewhere, the skin on the back of Jon's neck began to prickle.

He'd become very sensitive to danger - he had to be, in his line of work. And right now that sense was telling him something was wrong.

Not threatening; it didn't feel like it was meant for him. But something here had just gone wrong somehow. There was a scent behind the sweat and alcohol he could almost make out.

And he noticed he wasn't the only one. Some of the guys at the bar, the suits, were looking a little uncomfortable and sniffing at the air.

Deadly
2013-01-08, 06:33 PM
Charlene slipped away from the bar and into the dance, disappearing among the moving figures on the floor. She felt strangely conscious about the move, and that was not how it was supposed to be. She was not supposed to think about it, she was not supposed to concentrate on the movement or focus on the rythm, but it had been years and what had once come naturally now took effort.

And yet - she very slowly realized - she was probably the only one who noticed, because everyone else was doing it right and weren't paying much attention to stuff like that. A young woman sitting alone at the bar, that drew attention, but the same woman dancing could practically disappear - even, and perhaps especially, if she wasn't the most spectacular dancer. At least, if she did it right.

Charlene wasn't sure how well she was doing at anything right now, but she was learning and turning her focus to blending in and following the rythm. And it might all have been for a sudden nagging feeling that she needed to hide and pay attention to her surroundings.

As she danced, she paid attention even as she did her best to not be the focus of attention herself. That was a new feeling, and a different kind of dance.

[Like Jon I'm aiming for some skill training here, but in Charlene's case it'll be Expression for now]

BlasTech
2013-01-08, 06:41 PM
"Artemis," said the girl, shaking Isabelle's offered hand.

She spaced out for a moment, as if looking at something over Isabelle's shoulder. Then she focused again - the transition was crisp, unmistakable.

"I do not come here frequently, no. In truth, I am here on business - but it consists primarily of tedious waiting and would be of little interest to you."

"I think you're not getting just how bored I am today." Isabelle half-joked, as she tried to follow the woman's gaze. There were not that many things back there besides the dance floor and the private booths.

"Part of the security? Or with one of the booth crews?" she ventured. "Not alot else around here that counts for business."

Thanqol
2013-01-08, 09:35 PM
"I think you're not getting just how bored I am today." Isabelle half-joked, as she tried to follow the woman's gaze. There were not that many things back there besides the dance floor and the private booths.

"Part of the security? Or with one of the booth crews?" she ventured. "Not alot else around here that counts for business."

"What, the Invictus? No. They are decent enough if you are smart enough to win their respect," she said. "I'm keeping an eye on them, but -"

She stopped. Sighed. Looked like she was about to do something she didn't want to.

"I apologise, but might I enquire as to the significance of the handshake? I have great difficulty reading body language or subtext, but it is my understanding that a handshake is a comradely or businesslike gesture, which sets a different tone from what I presumed to be a flirtatious opening. The dissonance has me unsure of the tone I should be taking with this conversation."

She produced a small notepad and a pen, and flicked it open. "I understand by this point I have almost undoubtedly 'blown it', so I would appreciate any advice for next time."

the_druid_droid
2013-01-08, 10:18 PM
Jon glanced quickly at the others shuffling around at the bar, wondering if they were at all like him. He wondered only for a moment though, before he did his best to smoothly excuse himself and head for the bathrooms - while trying to glance around and see if he could locate the danger any better. For the moment, he was just glad it wasn't heading for him, and he wanted to keep it that way.

Thanqol
2013-01-09, 12:07 AM
Jon glanced quickly at the others shuffling around at the bar, wondering if they were at all like him. He wondered only for a moment though, before he did his best to smoothly excuse himself and head for the bathrooms - while trying to glance around and see if he could locate the danger any better. For the moment, he was just glad it wasn't heading for him, and he wanted to keep it that way.

Bathrooms were unoccupied and without that same sense of something going wrong; he was away from the source here.

BlasTech
2013-01-09, 08:38 PM
"What, the Invictus? No. They are decent enough if you are smart enough to win their respect," she said. "I'm keeping an eye on them, but -"

She stopped. Sighed. Looked like she was about to do something she didn't want to.

"I apologise, but might I enquire as to the significance of the handshake? I have great difficulty reading body language or subtext, but it is my understanding that a handshake is a comradely or businesslike gesture, which sets a different tone from what I presumed to be a flirtatious opening. The dissonance has me unsure of the tone I should be taking with this conversation."

She produced a small notepad and a pen, and flicked it open. "I understand by this point I have almost undoubtedly 'blown it', so I would appreciate any advice for next time."

Isabelle tried, she really tried, to repress a laugh at the over the top OCD her new acquaintance was displaying. In the end, her best efforts were unable to prevent a rather disbelieving chuckle from escaping.

"Look. Don't worry about it." She said, turning a good natured smile on the other woman. "If anything, you shouldn't be beating yourself up over what was really my mistake. To tell you the truth, I was expecting a guy when I grabbed you."

She shrugged easily. "Which probably explains the change in tone. While I've got no problems with people like that, I'm not looking for a girlfriend myself, sorry."

"So, again, my fault." She continued, a hint of embarrasment joining her still upbeat expression. "But if it's any consolation, you're picking up on this stuff alot more conciously than I could, and you definitely haven't 'blown it'."

"Me, on the other hand, might have. Although I wouldn't mind another girl-who-is-a-friend, if you'd be interested in that job instead?" she finished, giving the other girl a hopeful grin. "At the very least, I'm pretty sure I owe you a drink regardless."

[I don't know if this requires some kind of roll, I'm getting a feel that it probably might even though I'm not sure what it would achieve. Presence + socialise + offer of a drink? :smalltongue:]

Thanqol
2013-01-09, 09:07 PM
Artemis looked like she was writing down every word that Isabelle said. She nodded and closed the notebook. "Understood. However, I shall pass on your offer. I suspect you lack the necessary durability to endure sustained contact with myself or the spheres I move within."

the_druid_droid
2013-01-09, 11:25 PM
Jon spent a minute washing his hands in the bathroom to kill time. He'd hoped to zero in on the feeling of danger as he walked, and although he was glad to be safe for now, he couldn't leave his friends out there without some warning.

Drying his hands quickly, Jon headed back out the door and into the club, trying to figure out what the threat might be targeting while trying to avoid drawing any attention and blend in with the glassy-eyed clubgoers.

BlasTech
2013-01-10, 04:13 AM
Artemis looked like she was writing down every word that Isabelle said. She nodded and closed the notebook. "Understood. However, I shall pass on your offer. I suspect you lack the necessary durability to endure sustained contact with myself or the spheres I move within."

Isabelles eye's flashed. Was that a challenge?

She opened her mouth to offer a reflexive comeback, but her the words died unspoken. Instead, she looked to her hands, pensively, before giving a small smile to Artemis.

"You might be surprised." she replied, as thoughts of arcadia echoed through her head.

Thanqol
2013-01-10, 04:25 AM
Jon spent a minute washing his hands in the bathroom to kill time. He'd hoped to zero in on the feeling of danger as he walked, and although he was glad to be safe for now, he couldn't leave his friends out there without some warning.

Drying his hands quickly, Jon headed back out the door and into the club, trying to figure out what the threat might be targeting while trying to avoid drawing any attention and blend in with the glassy-eyed clubgoers.

The sense was still there, getting sharper. Someone here was in trouble.

But the lights were still dim and the music was pounding and clues were hard to come by.

[Wits+Composure -5]

Isabelles eye's flashed. Was that a challenge?

She opened her mouth to offer a reflexive comeback, but her the words died unspoken. Instead, she looked to her hands, pensively, before giving a small smile to Artemis.

"You might be surprised." she replied, as thoughts of arcadia echoed through her head.

"I do not think I am," she said. "Your kind are brittle. Prone to irrationality."

Deadly
2013-01-10, 08:51 AM
Charlene continued to dance, slowly getting more comfortable with it. Perhaps this was helped by the fact that she wasn't thinking too much about it now, instead just following the flow and glancing around for a sign of her friends whenever the rhythm afforded her a look.

[I'm sure she can find Isabelle again, since she's still at the bar, but would I need to roll to spot Jon?]

Thanqol
2013-01-10, 08:55 AM
Charlene continued to dance, slowly getting more comfortable with it. Perhaps this was helped by the fact that she wasn't thinking too much about it now, instead just following the flow and glancing around for a sign of her friends whenever the rhythm afforded her a look.

[I'm sure she can find Isabelle again, since she's still at the bar, but would I need to roll to spot Jon?]

[Not really, no]

Deadly
2013-01-10, 09:04 AM
[Thought so]

Seeing Isabelle at the bar with someone else, Charlene decided to look for Jon first. She spotted him coming out of the bathroom and slowly made her way in that direction.

BlasTech
2013-01-10, 08:44 PM
"I do not think I am," she said. "Your kind are brittle. Prone to irrationality."

Isabelle frowned, her good cheer evaporating further, only to be replaced with a sense of unease. She leaned back and took a good look at the girl in front of her, searching for signs that might explain why she seemed to know more about arcadia than any normal person should.

"'Your kind." She repeated slowly. "You mind elaborating on what you mean by that?"

Thanqol
2013-01-10, 09:03 PM
Isabelle frowned, her good cheer evaporating further, only to be replaced with a sense of unease. She leaned back and took a good look at the girl in front of her, searching for signs that might explain why she seemed to know more about arcadia than any normal person should.

"'Your kind." She repeated slowly. "You mind elaborating on what you mean by that?"

"Changelings," said Artemis, nodding. "I saw your reflection in the mirror."

the_druid_droid
2013-01-10, 10:53 PM
Jon kept up his search, pricked onward by the sense of looming danger, but having trouble blotting out the distractions of the club to zero in on it.

[This roll comes down to a chance die, so we'll see, I guess:

[roll0]
]

BlasTech
2013-01-10, 11:50 PM
"Changelings," said Artemis, nodding. "I saw your reflection in the mirror."

"That shouldn't have mattered, not with the mask." Isabelle replied, frowning and once again getting that feeling that she was in over her head here. "shouldn't have been able to see it, or should've forgotten about it after a few minutes. Either way, definitely shouldn't even know that word."

"So what's a nice girl like you been doing, that lets you see things like this?"

Thanqol
2013-01-10, 11:51 PM
"That shouldn't have mattered, not with the mask." Isabelle replied, frowning and once again getting that feeling that she was in over her head here. "shouldn't have been able to see it, or should've forgotten about it after a few minutes. Either way, definitely shouldn't even know that word."

"So what's a nice girl like you been doing, that lets you see things like this?"

"You know how angels don't cast shadows?

"It's kind of like that."

BlasTech
2013-01-11, 12:46 AM
"Well, thanks for using that analogy rather than the vampire one" Isabelle quipped, if only to fill in the gap with words.

She swirled her drink, staring into it as if hoping it would help make better sense of the girl's words.

"So, what. You found this ... flaw in their lie and followed it? I'm guessing that there's probably a lot more to it than just that and that you probably don't want to talk about it, but if there's anything you want to share, well, I'm all ears. I figure this drink you bought me earned you at least that much."

"The only thing I'd really ask to know, is whether any of this 'business' of yours means trouble for me or mine."

Thanqol
2013-01-11, 12:59 AM
"Well, thanks for using that analogy rather than the vampire one" Isabelle quipped, if only to fill in the gap with words.

She swirled her drink, staring into it as if hoping it would help make better sense of the girl's words.

"So, what. You found this ... flaw in their lie and followed it? I'm guessing that there's probably a lot more to it than just that and that you probably don't want to talk about it, but if there's anything you want to share, well, I'm all ears. I figure this drink you bought me earned you at least that much."

"The only thing I'd really ask to know, is whether any of this 'business' of yours means trouble for me or mine."

"If I am successful, a great deal of trouble for your kind will be averted," said Artemis.

BlasTech
2013-01-11, 01:10 AM
"If I am successful, a great deal of trouble for your kind will be averted," said Artemis.

"And in that case, do you need any help?" said Isabelle.

Thanqol
2013-01-11, 01:17 AM
"And in that case, do you need any help?" said Isabelle.

"It is not the sort of thing that can be helped with. I am waiting for someone to show up, and then I shall try to convince them to do something they do not want to do. They may not even come," she said.

Deadly
2013-01-11, 04:05 AM
Charlene edged her way through the crowd until she reached Jon. Seeing his searching gaze, she said, "What's going on?" and looked around.

[Wits+Composure-5 = 1 : [roll0] ]

BlasTech
2013-01-11, 04:17 AM
"It is not the sort of thing that can be helped with. I am waiting for someone to show up, and then I shall try to convince them to do something they do not want to do. They may not even come," she said.

"This person. It's not one of them is it?" Isabelle asked, her momentary relief suddenly replaced by apprehension again. "One of the fae?"

Thanqol
2013-01-11, 05:33 AM
"This person. It's not one of them is it?" Isabelle asked, her momentary relief suddenly replaced by apprehension again. "One of the fae?"

"If I am lucky, it will not be," said Artemis grimly.

Two of the suit guys at the bar had stood up and were outright sniffing the air like dogs at this point. The bodyguards were starting to fall back around their bosses defensively.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-11, 08:31 PM
Charlene edged her way through the crowd until she reached Jon. Seeing his searching gaze, she said, "What's going on?" and looked around.

[Wits+Composure-5 = 1 : [roll0] ]

Jon finally noticed Charlene, and leaned in close to warn her without having to shout. "I'm not sure, but something feels wrong - like someone is in danger. I don't think it's any of us, but it may not be safe to stay here for much longer. Where's Isabelle?"

BlasTech
2013-01-11, 09:04 PM
"If I am lucky, it will not be," said Artemis grimly.

Two of the suit guys at the bar had stood up and were outright sniffing the air like dogs at this point. The bodyguards were starting to fall back around their bosses defensively.

Isabelle was silent but her mind raced; one of the gentry, potentially coming here? She was no Amy Acre, this wasn't just getting in over her head, this was falling through a crevasse, landing in quicksand and then being dropped into the ocean.

She glanced around, noticing the suddenly wary stances of the security guards near the bar, and her uneasiness threatened to explode into a full panic. The guards looked worried, as if something bad had happened, or was about to happen.

"I'm sorry, I need to get my friends out of here." Isabelle said, looking around and trying to spot their faces in the crowd.

[EDIT #2: Guess not?]

Thanqol
2013-01-11, 09:05 PM
"Good-bye," Artemis said, turning back to face the bar.

BlasTech
2013-01-11, 09:14 PM
"Good-bye," Artemis said, turning back to face the bar.

Isabelle paused.

"Good luck." she said, before plunging into the crowds, making a beeline for Jon and Charlene.

Deadly
2013-01-12, 04:04 AM
"She was at the bar with someone else a moment ago," she said and looked around in time to spot Isabelle hurrying towards them. "There she is."

the_druid_droid
2013-01-13, 12:40 AM
"Isabelle, hey! I was trying to find you; something doesn't feel right around here, and I don't know if it's a good idea to stick around much longer tonight." Again, Jon leaned toward the other Changeling, trying to make himself heard.

BlasTech
2013-01-13, 02:56 AM
Isabelle didn't waste time with lengthy explanations, at least not when nobody could hear her anyway. She just grabbed the two of them and started pulling them, rather ungently, towards the entrance.

"C'mon guys, we are leaving. Now!" she shouted.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-14, 12:12 AM
Jon looked surprised briefly when Isabelle grabbed him, but he quickly processed what she'd said and agreed with the sentiment. He hurried along with her, pushing through the intoxicated crowd as well as he could.

Thanqol
2013-01-14, 01:10 AM
Nothing stopped their retreat from the bar. Soon after, the suit guys left too, walking in a close formation with hands on pistols. They got into their black cars and drove away.

Nothing strange happened, and the sense of danger was lower out here.

BlasTech
2013-01-14, 06:18 AM
"Phew, I'm glad I was able to get you guys out of there in time." Said Isabelle, as they emerged into the relative quiet outside the bar. Once there, she began looking around, trying to spot any signs whether the danger the guards had noticed was materialising.

"You should head back to the Watchtower, it's not safe here."

Deadly
2013-01-14, 07:12 AM
Charlene followed out without a word, but only because she found it prudent to get out of immediate harm's reach before deciding what to do about it. Run and hide, assess the situation, THEN act accordingly.

If something was going to happen, then she couldn't just walk away without at least knowing if it was something to inform others about. And if she did have to inform others, at least she needed something to inform them about. Saying "um, something was going to happen and it's probably happened now, but I don't know what because we ran" didn't cut it.

"What's going on, what's in there?" she asked hurriedly, her mind still running. "Do we have to get people out?"

BlasTech
2013-01-14, 04:31 PM
"I ... I don't think so" replied Isabelle, looking back at the . "I think if anything bad was going to happen, it would mostly be limited to people like us."

"I was talking with a girl at the bar who was waiting for someone to arrive. She didn't know exactly who, or when, but she had to convince them to do something they didn't want to do. From what she was saying I really think it was going to be someone from arcadia, maybe even one of the gentry, maybe coming here to cause trouble for us."

"Either way, when the guards all started acting weird I thought it best to come grab you guys and get out of the danger zone."

the_druid_droid
2013-01-14, 11:28 PM
"I didn't feel like they were coming after us specifically..." Jon looked a little uneasy, "but if it is someone from back there, we shouldn't waste time - we need to get somewhere safe!"

Deadly
2013-01-15, 09:07 AM
Running away and hiding was Charlene's first instinct when it came to the Gentry, her second was to warn others, because it wasn't good to be on your own, and surely if They were coming here certain people ought to be told about it.

But she didn't want to go cry wolf if it turned out it was just a sheep, or one of the dogs. And if it wasn't coming for them, then it was coming for someone or something else. Charlene sank a bit. "I think we need to know what's happening, actually happening. We can't just run and hide if we know one of Them is coming, and we can't just go spreading possible panic without being sure."

BlasTech
2013-01-15, 06:47 PM
"Yeahhh." Isabelle replied, adding her own reasons to the end of that list - most of which concerned whether or not Artemis might be in trouble. "Which is why I said you guys should head back to the watchtower."

the_druid_droid
2013-01-15, 11:58 PM
"But..." Jon glanced behind him nervously, "Look, I can't just leave you - especially not both of you - and it sounds like you both want to stay. I really think we ought to go back now. We haven't even been in the real world for a week, and this is risking going back There."

He looked anxious, like he knew his friends wouldn't listen, but couldn't quite bring himself to leave without them.

Deadly
2013-01-16, 09:15 AM
"I-" Charlene stopped. Dammit, Jon was right, this was risking a lot. But they couldn't just run and they couldn't let one go in alone. There really was only one option. "We should stay together. Besides ... you agreed it wasn't coming for us, and we're just checking to confirm, then we're out of there." In her head she added, because it seemed like the thing to think at this time, and maybe they like to go after those who run? There was a novel idea.

BlasTech
2013-01-16, 06:33 PM
"Look, you guys can head back to the tower, or scope it out a bit and leave, or whatever." Isabelle said, after a pause. "But that girl I spoke to, she said that if she could convince this guy to do something he didn't want to do, then it would mean a whole lot less trouble for the Changelings here. I'm guessing she has to convince him to leave without causing any problems"

"I ... just think she's going to need some help to do that. Girl didn't exactly have a way with people when I was speaking with her. The guy might not be coming here for us specifically, but you can bet we're going to be in trouble if he sticks around."

the_druid_droid
2013-01-16, 11:55 PM
Jon grimaced, and made a little worried grunt before giving himself a shake and squaring his shoulders. "I'm not going to leave either one of you behind like this. So if you won't come back with me, I'll stay here. I'll just... keep my head down, or something."

Deadly
2013-01-17, 07:50 AM
"Or maybe he intends to bring something here and she wants to convince him not to?" Charlene suggested. That seemed more likely to her. In her experience you didn't get anything out of talking to Them. They just didn't listen, or at least didn't answer back. "Either way ..." Charlene still didn't like it, but it was the only option. "We'll find out, and then hopefully we'll know what to do."

the_druid_droid
2013-01-17, 11:50 PM
"Alright. Let's get on with it." Jon headed back for the doors of the club, trying to look more confident than he felt.

BlasTech
2013-01-18, 01:10 AM
Isabelle followed along behind the other two, shaking her head in disbelief. Honestly, you try to tell the others to 'go on without you', and they turn around and not only refuse to go on, but head back into the danger first.

As if she needed any more evidence that they were all completely nuts.

Still, it was a nice kind of nuts to know your friends would do that sort of stuff with you.

Thanqol
2013-01-18, 03:34 AM
The club was much the same as they'd left it, albeit without any of the suit guys. Artemis was still sitting at the bar.

But there was still that sense that something was amiss.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-18, 10:57 PM
Jon did his best to ignore the feeling that something was off, and tried to get lost in the sea of ravers, moving along with the beat although he wasn't feeling it quite as much as he had before.

BlasTech
2013-01-19, 01:54 AM
"That's the girl" Isabelle said, pointing to Artemis. "Doesn't look like much has happened yet, you guys notice anything?"

Deadly
2013-01-19, 07:40 AM
"Something still seems wrong, but I can't see anything," Charlene said. "Should we go talk to ... her?"

BlasTech
2013-01-20, 01:16 AM
"Something still seems wrong, but I can't see anything," Charlene said. "Should we go talk to ... her?"

"Guess so, unless you have any better ideas? Where's Jon off to anyway?" Isabelle wondered, as she watched their friend dissapear into the crowd.

Shrugging, she walked towards Artemis, greeting her with a "hey again" as she drew close.

Thanqol
2013-01-20, 01:45 AM
"Hello?" said Artemis, looking up.

Deadly
2013-01-20, 09:10 AM
Charlene followed Isabelle to the bar. "Hi. I'm Charlene," she said by way of greeting and offered a hand. "Isabelle said you were waiting for someone."

the_druid_droid
2013-01-20, 11:08 PM
Off in the crowd, Jon kept an eye on his friends by the bar, and tried to see if anyone or anything was moving toward them. He hoped whatever it was would be visible, at the very least.

BlasTech
2013-01-20, 11:17 PM
"Hello?" said Artemis, looking up.

Charlene followed Isabelle to the bar. "Hi. I'm Charlene," she said by way of greeting and offered a hand. "Isabelle said you were waiting for someone."

"Yeah ... soooo, hope you aren't too upset to see me again, but it turns out that trying to get my friends to leave was a little harder than I'd thought." Isabelle added, looking around. "I don't suppose anyone interesting turned up while I was gone?

Thanqol
2013-01-21, 12:20 AM
Artemis gave a long, blank look, like she was trying to figure out what was going on here. "Not that I noticed," she said guardedly.

Deadly
2013-01-21, 07:49 AM
Charlene decided to get to the point, the better to not worry the girl, and also because it would be nice to know sooner rather than later. "We're just a little concerned. Do you know who or what you're waiting for? Isabelle said she thought it might be one of the Gentry, you see."

Thanqol
2013-01-21, 08:09 AM
Charlene decided to get to the point, the better to not worry the girl, and also because it would be nice to know sooner rather than later. "We're just a little concerned. Do you know who or what you're waiting for? Isabelle said she thought it might be one of the Gentry, you see."

"I know who I am waiting for. I do not know what they'll be when they turn up," said Artemis. "I understand it would be bad form to go into detail without knowing you significantly better than I do."

BlasTech
2013-01-22, 02:04 AM
"Fair enough ..." Isabelle replied, grinning. "So we'll just go stand by the bar and stare awkwardly for a bit?"

(OOC: busy day. Consequently. This is probably a dumb post)

Thanqol
2013-01-22, 03:19 AM
"What, exactly, do you intend to do by waiting with me?" said Artemis. "I do not see what, if anything, you could contribute."

Deadly
2013-01-22, 10:34 AM
Charlene was getting a little bit frustrated, made worse by her desire to be out of there soon. It was a perfectly simple yes/no question if you got right down to it. How could she not know whether she was waiting for one of Them or not?

"We just want to know what to expect and whether it's something to warn others about. A lot of people around here would like to know if one of the Gentry was coming to town, but we don't want to start a panic if it's just a misunderstanding."

Thanqol
2013-01-22, 08:36 PM
That smell was finally getting powerful enough for Jon and Charlene to recognise. Blood.

Who knew from where in this deafening and disorienting place?

"Panicking would be counterproductive," said Artemis. Her body language was hard to read because she didn't have any - it was a little unsettling.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-22, 10:36 PM
Jon wrinkled his nose at the smell and moved toward the wall, trying to find something to step on to get a look out over the crowd, to see if anything stood out.

Thanqol
2013-01-22, 10:40 PM
Jon wrinkled his nose at the smell and moved toward the wall, trying to find something to step on to get a look out over the crowd, to see if anything stood out.

The crowd seemed fine, continuing to dance and drink like nothing was wrong.

BlasTech
2013-01-23, 08:03 AM
That smell was finally getting powerful enough for Jon and Charlene to recognise. Blood.

Who knew from where in this deafening and disorienting place?

"Panicking would be counterproductive," said Artemis. Her body language was hard to read because she didn't have any - it was a little unsettling.

"Oh yes, I agree." replied Isabelle, still grinning. "But you know how rational we can be, particularly when we don't have a clear picture on what's going on."

Thanqol
2013-01-23, 08:26 AM
"Oh yes, I agree." replied Isabelle, still grinning. "But you know how rational we can be, particularly when we don't have a clear picture on what's going on."

"If you agree then there is nothing else to discuss," said Artemis, completely failing to pick up on the subtext.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-23, 11:15 PM
The crowd seemed fine, continuing to dance and drink like nothing was wrong.

Jon sighed a little to himself and then finally began inching over toward the bar. It didn't look like he was going to be able to see whatever was coming, so he might as well try to stick close to his friends for when it eventually got there.

The evening had been shaping up to be so much nicer than this, earlier.

BlasTech
2013-01-24, 01:31 AM
"If you agree then there is nothing else to discuss," said Artemis, completely failing to pick up on the subtext.

"Oh, but there is." Isabelle said, still grinning. "You see, I think some of us are still deciding whether or not to panic; it is a rather important decision after all. Also, we've managed to think of at least three rational arguments as to why we needed to come back and find out more about what was going on."

Thanqol
2013-01-24, 01:39 AM
"Oh, but there is." Isabelle said, still grinning. "You see, I think some of us are still deciding whether or not to panic; it is a rather important decision after all. Also, we've managed to think of at least three rational arguments as to why we needed to come back and find out more about what was going on."

"You should probably have a word with your friends, then? I do not think I would be able to convince them," said Artemis.

The club still had that growing scent of blood, but everything still seemed to be proceeding as normal at the bar and on the dancefloor. There were signs that even ordinary people were starting to notice something amiss but most of them were proceeding to ignore it or leave without ceremony.

BlasTech
2013-01-24, 03:59 AM
"Ah." said Isabelle, eyes tight with worry behind that plastic grin. "Well, that raises an interesting question, doesn't it"

"Really, it's the reason I wanted to come back, in fact" she continued, shooting Charlene a glance. "I mean, you want to get this guy to do something he doesn't want to do, right? But if you don't think you could even convince my friends to leave, what makes you so sure you can convince him to what you want him to do?"

[Question; is this blood scent thing a physical smell or a magical sense warning thingy? Mostly wondering if Isabelle can recognise it, given she has the'tolerance for biology' merit and a stack of experience in medicine]

Thanqol
2013-01-24, 04:14 AM
[It's actual blood from a body in the air, so sure, Tolerance For Biology would let you pick it up. Good call.]

"We have a history together," said Artemis. "I know how they think. A rational or persuasive argument would not work, they don't respect that. That is all I have to say."

Deadly
2013-01-24, 06:57 AM
Charlene stood up, doing her very best to remain very calm, which made her look very tense instead. "Excuse us," she said and walked away, making sure Isabelle followed.

Once out of earshot, and then a little further because you never know, she glanced up briefly to see if she could spot the DJ, then turned to Isabelle. "If she's human, then I'm the queen of this place. She practically just said she's one of them!" Charlene was trying hard to stay calm. "They don't respond to reason! Did she seem reasonable to you?"

the_druid_droid
2013-01-24, 10:29 PM
As the smell grew, Jon attempted to flag down the bartender, hoping to ask a few questions.

Thanqol
2013-01-24, 10:32 PM
As the smell grew, Jon attempted to flag down the bartender, hoping to ask a few questions.

"Yeah, what you need?" said the bartender, who was a gruff, bearded man without any sense of the remarkable about him.

BlasTech
2013-01-25, 12:25 AM
[It's actual blood from a body in the air, so sure, Tolerance For Biology would let you pick it up. Good call.]

"We have a history together," said Artemis. "I know how they think. A rational or persuasive argument would not work, they don't respect that. That is all I have to say."

"Well that's something" Isabelle replied, dropping the grin at last "although I'd still feel better if I could give you some speech coaching or something too. What kind of arguments do yo-"

She aborted her question as Charlene suddenly decided she needed a word.

"Back in a sec." she said to Artemis, walking off after the other woman.

Charlene stood up, doing her very best to remain very calm, which made her look very tense instead. "Excuse us," she said and walked away, making sure Isabelle followed.

Once out of earshot, and then a little further because you never know, she glanced up briefly to see if she could spot the DJ, then turned to Isabelle. "If she's human, then I'm the queen of this place. She practically just said she's one of them!" Charlene was trying hard to stay calm. "They don't respond to reason! Did she seem reasonable to you?"

After hearing what she had to say, Isabelle was quiet for a good ten seconds as she processed those words. After a few false starts, where she opened and closed her mouth soundlessly like some kind of fish, she finally found the presence of mind to reply.

"Er ... are we talking about the same woman here?" Isabelle said, struggling to keep a chuckle from escaping. "I'll grant you there's something odd about that girl, but if anything she's way too rational. She's like a robot, a note-taking, emotionally stunted, logic rules all, can't-get-a-date-to-save-her-life robot."

"Now I'll grant you that the gentry don't really have emotions like normal people, but I doubt that one of them would've ..."

She stopped as a faintly metallic smell drifted through the smoke and the haze of the nightclub.

"D- do you smell that?" she asked, suddenly distracted.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-25, 01:16 AM
"Can you get me a beer and maybe point me toward someone in charge around here?" Jon looked hopeful - but only just a little.

Thanqol
2013-01-25, 01:29 AM
"Can you get me a beer and maybe point me toward someone in charge around here?" Jon looked hopeful - but only just a little.

The bartender looked up, and with a slow, inevitable air (http://youtu.be/EOEGudEoSW4?t=1m7s), pointed up at the top of the pile of speakers, audio equipment, and flashing lights at the silhouette of DJ Jaeger.

She was dancing strangely, standing stiff and waving her arms out to the side. Like she was on drugs or something. It looked unnatural.

Deadly
2013-01-25, 05:48 AM
"D- do you smell that?" she asked, suddenly distracted.

"Yes, there's blood," Charlene said nervously. "And I don't know about that girl. If she's not one of them, she's close enough that I don't like it. She's completely unhelpful in any case." And that's putting it nicely, Charlene thought.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-26, 02:06 AM
Jon nodded and took the beer, then tried to edge through the remaining crowd toward the DJ's mountain of gear, looking to see if there was any sane way up it.

Thanqol
2013-01-26, 04:39 AM
Jon nodded and took the beer, then tried to edge through the remaining crowd toward the DJ's mountain of gear, looking to see if there was any sane way up it.

There didn't look to be any remotely sane way up it. In fact, upon closer examination, it looked like what already seemed an absurd climb would be made more difficult by dint of the fact that a lot of the equipment was wet with blood.

BlasTech
2013-01-26, 06:36 AM
"Yes, there's blood," Charlene said nervously. "And I don't know about that girl. If she's not one of them, she's close enough that I don't like it. She's completely unhelpful in any case." And that's putting it nicely, Charlene thought.

"Blood? I ... I thought that smelled familiar" Isabelle replied, hesitanty. "It smells so strong, you'd think it was coming from this room ... but if that's the case, why has no-one paniced yet?"

Isabelle glanced back to where Artemis was sitting.

"Anyway, I take your point; we're not getting anywhere with her. Whatever it is she's up to, she doesn't seem like she's going to open up about it over drinks ... although I like to think she might turn out to be helpful in the end."

"Anyway, I'm open to ideas for what to try next?"

Deadly
2013-01-26, 07:50 AM
"Blood? I ... I thought that smelled familiar" Isabelle replied, hesitanty. "It smells so strong, you'd think it was coming from this room ... but if that's the case, why has no-one paniced yet?"

Isabelle glanced back to where Artemis was sitting.

"Anyway, I take your point; we're not getting anywhere with her. Whatever it is she's up to, she doesn't seem like she's going to open up about it over drinks ... although I like to think she might turn out to be helpful in the end."

"Anyway, I'm open to ideas for what to try next?"

Charlene began moving towards the tower and Jon. "The DJ is from Spring, right? She might know what to do," she said hurriedly. "And we should warn her, if she doesn't already know." It was hard to imagine that she didn't. They should have done this sooner, but how would they reach her?

the_druid_droid
2013-01-26, 11:47 PM
Jon managed to tear his eyes away from the bloody equipment and spotted Charlene approaching. Running over he grabbed her arm and dragged her toward the electronic mountain, then pointed to all the blood.

"I think I found out where that smell is coming from... what do we do now?"

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 04:27 AM
Isabelle leant closer to the bloody equipment, a cold detachment settling over her as she did so.

"Nobody's panicing, so that must mean they can't see this." She said, as she swiped a finger along the nearest piece of equipment, testing to see how fresh the blood was. If it was still moist, she would've shaken her hand, probably splattering one of the nearby dancers just to see their reaction.

"Where the heck did it come from?" she continued, looking up.

Thanqol
2013-01-27, 05:29 AM
It looked to Isabelle like it was flowing down the pile of audio equipment.

It also looked, to her trained medical eye, that that wasn't dancing the DJ was doing. That was muscle spasming induced by periodic, electrical shocks.

Deadly
2013-01-27, 07:59 AM
"Oh god," Charlene said, staring at the blood. Okay, stop the accident, call for help, and give first aid, her rational side sprang to life. "We need to get help! Can one of you get up there and see if she's ..." She was about to say hurt, but that seemed obvious. "... alive?" She looked at Isabelle, knowing that she had more medical training

BlasTech
2013-01-27, 04:31 PM
"Oh hell." Isabelle said, her eyes wide as she looked up the mountain of equipment. "She's not just hurt, she's getting tortured!"

Without a thought, Isabelle leapt up onto the pile of equipment; insurmountable or not, her instincts drove her towards the DJ, to help in any way she could.

Thanqol
2013-01-27, 09:16 PM
"Oh hell." Isabelle said, her eyes wide as she looked up the mountain of equipment. "She's not just hurt, she's getting tortured!"

Without a thought, Isabelle leapt up onto the pile of equipment; insurmountable or not, her instincts drove her towards the DJ, to help in any way she could.

[Climbing this is Strength+Athletics, -3 from the disorienting light and massive sounds that emerge from the speakers, -1 from the wetness of the blood, -4 total.

Every attempt represents about a minute's work, you may try as many times as you like, losing only time in the process.]

the_druid_droid
2013-01-28, 12:27 AM
"Oh, crap! Crapcrapcrap..." Jon rushed back toward the bar and flagged the bartender down as quickly as he could.

"Hey! Hey, I think the DJ needs help! Something's wrong up there - can you get a ladder or something?" Without waiting for a reply, Jon rushed back to the pile of gear and began to climb himself, not knowing what he'd do when he got to the top.

[Str+Athletics-4 is a pool of 2 die:

[roll0]

]

BlasTech
2013-01-28, 04:26 AM
The lights, the noise, the sound ...

Isabelle was no stranger to climbing things thanks to a well spent youth and plenty of trees near her home, but that hadn't extended to scaling blood-slick electronics in the middle of a stupid disco apocalpyse.

[roll0]

Unfortunately, after a minute or so of trying to find a way up, she hadn't made much progress at all. Cursing in frustration, she instead tried to spot the plugs for that electronic monstrosity, maybe if she could kill the power she could stop the pain, or at least the music.

Thanqol
2013-01-28, 05:22 AM
Have you ever seen the power supply for a sound system like that? It was a nightmarish mess of wires and plugs, more tangled than the subprime mortgage crisis. It looked like if you pulled out the wrong cable you'd cut off all life support to a Russian satellite. It also didn't help that the viewing conditions remained terrible.

[Wits+Crafts/Computer to try and switch it off safely. If you want to switch it off unsafely just roll a chance dice.]

The bartender said something along the lines of "There's a stepladder over by that wall," but his next action looked like it was going to be a 911 call.

Deadly
2013-01-28, 05:58 AM
[Charlene would be reduced to a chance dice as well]

Charlene had followed Jon. Satisfied that the bartender was going to call for help, she hurried off to find the stepladder and get it to Isabelle.

Thanqol
2013-01-28, 06:09 AM
The stepladder was too short to help much, but it'd give a leg up (+1 on the roll).

the_druid_droid
2013-01-28, 11:49 PM
After slipping back down the pile, Jon ran as quickly as he could the grab the ladder, then braced it and scampered up, trying his best to reach the DJ.

[Going to spend Willpower on this, so the total pool with the ladder should be 6:

[roll0]
]

Thanqol
2013-01-29, 02:34 AM
I had a way then losing it all on my own
I had a heart then but the queen has been overthrown
And I'm not sleeping now the dark is too hard to beat
And I'm not keeping up the strength I need to push me

The lights (http://youtu.be/0NKUpo_xKyQ)were shining as Jon climbed up.

His hands and knees were soaked in blood. The strobes made it glow violet-green-black. The boxes shook under his feet. The crowd, invisible in silhouetted motion below, pulsed and beat with the music, and a tendril of orange ran through the glassy red-green.

'Cause they're calling, calling, calling me home
Calling, calling, calling home
You show the lights that stop me turn to stone
You shine it when I'm alone

He pulled himself up to the top.

Alexandria Jaeger was hanging from electrical cables wrapped around her wrists, held aloft like the Christ. Her glasses were cracked and there was blood dripping slowly from her head. Electric blue feathers were stained with bright red blood that shined like rubies. Her beautiful, unconscious, deathly features were illuminated by the glow of her equipment.

God knew how long she'd been hanging there like that.

On the wall behind her were written words in white chalk, delicately sketched with a steady and controlled hand.

Freedom
Is
Everything

Noises, I play within my head
Touch my own skin and hope that I'm still breathing
And I think back to when my brother and my sister slept
In an unlocked place the only time I feel safe~

BlasTech
2013-01-29, 02:58 AM
"Dammit, why can nothing ever be EASY?!" thought Isabelle, as she surveyed the tangle of electrical cables. She knew a little about electronics, a little about computers, but it mostly ended up being which button to push to turn the thing on, or to summon Clippy.

She tried to trace the power cable back to its source, but the task wasn't exactly easy.

[Wits + computer is 3 dice, but I'm assuming there's some penalty from the disco conditions again?]

Thanqol
2013-01-29, 03:01 AM
"Dammit, why can nothing ever be EASY?!" thought Isabelle, as she surveyed the tangle of electrical cables. She knew a little about electronics, a little about computers, but it mostly ended up being which button to push to turn the thing on, or to summon Clippy.

She tried to trace the power cable back to its source, but the task wasn't exactly easy.

[Wits + computer is 3 dice, but I'm assuming there's some penalty from the disco conditions again?]

[Lighting and sound penalty still applies, -3]

BlasTech
2013-01-29, 04:42 AM
[Well, I guess it's bad form to abort the check now, here goes nothing]

Isabelle grimaced, if the girl really was getting shocked by the electricity, then she needed help. She only hoped that she didn't unplug something vital.

[roll0]

[My dice have a fine sense of how to torture me, just wait till I actually roll something besides a chance die and watch the low numbers appear :smallbiggrin:]

Thanqol
2013-01-29, 04:50 AM
The lights over the bar went out, but nothing useful happened.

Deadly
2013-01-29, 06:38 AM
[Wits+Computer-3+Willpower = 5 : 2, 9, 2, 6, 3

One success]

Charlene wasn't any better versed in the arts of electronics, but she had a keen eye for detail and thought she could follow a bit of the mess to its sources. With no time to waste and no room for mistakes, she took a deep breath and followed the lines again, then reached out and pulled a switch, praying under her breath that she was right.

Thanqol
2013-01-29, 06:52 AM
The sound went out. The electricity stopped flowing. The normal lights came back on.

People looked around. Some screamed.

BlasTech
2013-01-29, 05:30 PM
"Thanks" Isabelle said, grasping Charlene's shoulder for a moment as the other girl finally killed that infernal music.

Hadn't her dad always joked about that kind of music being evil? Well it certainly felt that way today. Spinning, she spotted the stepladder that Jon had set up and hurriedly tried to scale the mountain of equipment.

(Str 3, Athletics 1, Ladder 1, Blood -1, 4 dice)

[roll0]

Thanqol
2013-01-29, 07:15 PM
Isabelle reached the top quickly, and saw the same thing that Jon did. Immediate medical impression was that the girl was still alive, but she was in the process of unlocking death's door. She could administer first aid but if she lived through this it would be a miracle.

BlasTech
2013-01-29, 07:35 PM
"Charlene!" called Isabelle, looking down from the mountain of equipment. "Check to see if the bar has a first aid kit or anything!"

Miracle or not, Isabelle wasn't going to give up, and miracles of medicine was just what she did.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-30, 12:29 AM
"Oh god..." Jon wanted to be sick at the sight, but he was the only other person up there, and she was a part of his Court, dammit, and he couldn't just leave her like that...

As the lights shut down and Isabelle arrived, he did his fumbling best to unhook the DJ from the cables and get her somewhere safer, not even sure as he did it that she was alive. All the while, in the back of his head lingered the question:

Did she do this to herself? Is this what happens to some of us?

Thanqol
2013-01-30, 12:37 AM
Jon wasn't exactly a medical expert but even he'd find it hard to believe that this girl hit herself in the back of the head with a heavy blunt object and then crucified herself on electrical cables. The probability of suicide was zero.

Deadly
2013-01-30, 07:20 AM
Charlene rushed back to the bar in the hope of finding a first aid kit.

Thanqol
2013-01-30, 07:31 AM
Charlene rushed back to the bar in the hope of finding a first aid kit.

There was one there, behind the counter, specialised for dealing with overdoses and alcohol poisoning.

Deadly
2013-01-30, 07:36 AM
"Do you have anything else?" she asked and looked around for the bartender, already halfway rushing back to get what little she had to Isabelle

Thanqol
2013-01-30, 07:42 AM
"Do you have anything else?" she asked and looked around for the bartender, already halfway rushing back to get what little she had to Isabelle

"No, man, not until the ambulance gets here," said the bartender.

Deadly
2013-01-30, 07:46 AM
Damn. Well, something's better than nothing. Charlene hurried back and crawled up the ladder, trying to get the kit to Isabelle. "Anything else I can do?"

BlasTech
2013-01-30, 03:12 PM
Isabelle frowned, one of the biggest dillemmas for first responders was whether or not to move the patient; it usually came down to a balancing act between their injuries and the danger of treating them in their current location.

She shifted her weight, trying to get a feel for how stable this pile of equipment really was, while running her eyes and hands over the DJ, looking to see if she would survive a trip down the mountainside.

Thanqol
2013-01-30, 09:09 PM
It was almost certainly a safer prospect to try and stabilise her before carrying her down. Conditions weren't ideal but they were already on a minutes-to-live timetable here.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-30, 11:20 PM
[Whoops, miscued on something in the description of the DJ.]

Jon's worry shifted gears as he tried to help Isabelle sift through the tangle of cables holding the girl up. He could tell she hadn't hung herself, and there were signs of violence he could see as the lights came back up, but that meant that someone had done this to her - and that thought was almost as bad.

Was it connected to the person Isabelle had been telling them about? She had said the girl was waiting for someone here, maybe even one of the Gentry. But if it had been them, why do this? Why not just take her back?

BlasTech
2013-01-31, 06:28 AM
No time to move her.

Nothing to do but her best.

“Get me water, and give me room.” Isabelle ordered, as she ripped open the first aid kit and got to work. Outwardly, she appeared cool, the practiced calm of a professional, or at least the kind of person who was far too practiced in medicine for such a young age.

Under the surface, though, Isabelle’s mind was racing.

Cranial trauma. Rear of the skull. Impact suggests weapon. Can’t have been self-inflicted, wrong angle. Blood loss dangerous, must maintain core blood pressure, transfusion urgent.

“Check her wallet, see if it has blood type on it.”

Back to triage, worst wounds first; head wound, electric shock, so much blood. Don’t focus on that, still alive, pulse weak, but there. Has to be enough. Has to be enough. Kit is suited for drugs, overdoses, includes counter agents, syringes, possible to jury rig a transfusion?

Her thoughts were in three; one kept an eye on Alexandria, her vitals and her treatment, the second kept an eye on her surroundings taking in the resources she had while the third …

A man, revived during his dying breath. His fiance thought it was due to the power of their love. A woman, clinging to life long enough to see her newborn cry, never thinking what it was that really held her in this world. The enemy, thought dead, but clinging to hatred of the hero, as if that were what really kept him alive. A loyal dog, the aged retainer, friends, family … stories upon stories, all with a central theme; that a person can survive, no matter how close to the brink of death they may have been.

Kept alive by a timely wind in thrall.

Flecks of glamour glittered around her, orange like the fire, green like the leaves when seasons changed.

Spring, help me save her, help her live, help me save one of your court.

Summer, give her the strength to survive, strength to fight what was done to her. Give her my strength.

“Pressure, here” she instructed.

Please. Let it be enough. Let that hell we've been through be worth something.

[Going all out here to save her life. Wits (2) + Medicine (4) + Willpower (3) + Emergency Care (1). Whatever is in the first aid kit, hopefully Hollistic Awareness can count for something, also possible pledge, will probably need to discuss this in the OOC thread but it's at least 10 dice before penalties.]

BlasTech
2013-01-31, 03:07 PM
Isabelle worked and worked and worked. She could feel her actions having some effect, slowing the bleeding, holding the pain at bay, stoking that slender flame of life.

The part of her mind that was keeping an eye on things around saw Jon, and his expression; fear, panic, concern.

"Don't worry" she said. "I'll get this, I swear it."

[roll0]

Thanqol
2013-01-31, 07:53 PM
Nobody died. Nobody died. In the twelve minutes it took the emergency response team to burst in through the door, nobody died.

Just before they did, though, Artemis stepped up to the top of the pile of equipment. She looked at the blood, the body, the writing. If she had a reaction, she didn't show it, she just started to walk away.

"Ma'am, I need you to clear the area," were the reflexive, rote words out of the ER guy's mouth once he'd reached Isabelle. His partner was speaking fast into the radio, something about getting a cherrypicker.

the_druid_droid
2013-01-31, 10:59 PM
Jon brought bottles of water over from behind the bar, then stepped back, upset to see the girl's injuries as she lay there on the floor, but unable to look away from Isabelle's fight to save her life.

BlasTech
2013-02-01, 07:21 AM
Nobody died. Nobody died. In the twelve minutes it took the emergency response team to burst in through the door, nobody died.

Just before they did, though, Artemis stepped up to the top of the pile of equipment. She looked at the blood, the body, the writing. If she had a reaction, she didn't show it, she just started to walk away.

"Ma'am, I need you to clear the area," were the reflexive, rote words out of the ER guy's mouth once he'd reached Isabelle. His partner was speaking fast into the radio, something about getting a cherrypicker.

"Hold it." Isabelle ordered, pausing only long enough to ensure that her uncommon reaction had gotten his attention before continuing.

"Your patient is suffering from three serious injuries; a cranial impact injury to the rear of her skull, significant blood loss and multiple electrical shocks, resulting in arrythmia of the heart as well as several superficial burns."

"The blood loss is the most immediately pressing, but keep a crash unit or defib close to hand until you have her to a proper facility."

Thanqol
2013-02-01, 07:39 AM
"I, uh -" the ER guy blinked blankly, and then, "- Director Longshore?"

The other guy hit him in the arm. "Focus, man!"

"Yeah, right. Sorry, Director, didn't recognise you there," said the ER guy, "We got it from here."

BlasTech
2013-02-01, 07:48 AM
Isabelle froze.

What.

"I ... See that you do." she replied, her earlier focus shattered, her mind a free-falling haze. "Keep her alive."

Woodenly, she started walking. She needed to get away from here. Pausing only for one last look at Alexandria, she began to climb down the pile of equipment.

[Ohhhh snap. Well played Mr Thanqol]

Thanqol
2013-02-01, 07:56 AM
Unless physically attacked, the ER team would then proceed to stabilise and move Alexander's body to the ambulance.

As they were heading out the door, a police squad headed in. They'd then proceed to round everyone they could up and start taking statements and asking a lot of boring questions. It'd be well past three AM before the night would finally end.

[Wrapping this up unless anyone has anything they want to do]

Deadly
2013-02-01, 08:42 AM
[Not in particular]

Charlene watched Artemis as she left. That girl might be worth watching, she thought gloomily.

For now, she did her best to help what little she could, and stayed out of the way the rest of the time. She didn't feel comfortable around medics at work, and didn't have much to contribute in any case. It was a huge relief when they drove off with the patient, to be replaced by police.

Charlene answered as best she could when asked, but otherwise stayed silent and kept out of the way. It was another relief to finally be out of there.

BlasTech
2013-02-01, 04:20 PM
Isabelle drifted her way out of the club, answering questions while asked but otherwise not drawing attention to herself.

She should feel happy, but for now she just felt.

Lost.

[All done too]

the_druid_droid
2013-02-02, 10:29 PM
Jon saw Isabelle's reaction to the name, and tried to catch up with her, but by the time he'd gotten out of the paramedics' way and explained things to the bartender, the police had appeared and he was stuck answering questions. Jon promised himself he'd speak with her tomorrow, at the least.

[I'm cool with moving on]

Thanqol
2013-02-02, 10:34 PM
Eventually, they'd all wind up back in the Ivy Watchtower on a clear spring afternoon.

Felix was around, but Talmage had left the moment he'd heard what had happened. There was a spare moment to catch your thoughts.

BlasTech
2013-02-03, 06:13 AM
Isabelle wasn't so much 'catching' her thoughts, as she was watching them run, jump and otherwise frolic all over the grassy knoll of her mindscape.

She had no appetite to play shepherd, so there wasn't much else for her to do except to find a chair next to an unoccupied table, and splay herself on top of it in a manner that would've earned a ... well maybe one raised eyebrow and a sniff from Felix, had he been there.

[Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it nighttime when we left for the club?]

[Edit: ahh ok.]

Thanqol
2013-02-03, 06:16 AM
Isabelle wasn't so much 'catching' her thoughts, as she was watching them run, jump and otherwise frolic all over the grassy knoll of her mindscape.

She had no appetite to play shepherd tonight, so there wasn't much else for her to do except to find a chair next to an unoccupied table, and splay herself on top of it in a manner that would've earned a ... well maybe one raised eyebrow and a sniff from Felix, had he been there.

[Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it nighttime when we left for the club?]

[Yes, this is tomorrow afternoon after you've rested up]

Deadly
2013-02-03, 09:13 AM
Charlene was outside, smoking the last of her cigarettes and watching nothing in particular. Just standing against the wall.

They had done what they could. Going back in had been the right choice, and Isabelle might have saved the girl's life, time would tell for sure. They could have done a lot worse.

But could they also have done a lot better? Something had happened. Something or someone had been there, and got away. Maybe it would have done a lot worse if they had not been there. Who could really say?

And then there was this Artemis, a complete enigma.

Charlene took a last puff and sighed. They had done what they could, but it didn't feel like all it should be. She turned around and headed back inside.

the_druid_droid
2013-02-03, 11:00 PM
Jon hung around the main hallway, occasionally wandering through the sitting rooms that branched off it, letting his eyes wander over paintings and furniture, idly poking at some of the little pieces of bric-a-brac that gave off such a Victorian feel. A part of him was trying to sort through his thoughts, but mostly he was looking for something to say to Isabelle. On the way back to the Watchtower, she'd looked... haunted.

After his fourth or fifth disapproving look from Felix, Jon gave a half shrug and slowly started off to locate Isabelle. If he was going to say anything, he might as well get on with it.

His fellow Changeling wasn't too hard to locate; in fact as far as Jon could tell, she hadn't moved since he'd first seen her slump down by the window. He approached slowly, half on tiptoe, then leaned on one of the chairs nearby and cleared his throat softly.

"Hey, Isabelle... how are you holding up?"

BlasTech
2013-02-04, 04:57 AM
Isabelle's first answer was to thump her face onto the tabletop.

Her second answer, a frustrated groan, eminated from somewhere within that pool of tawny blonde hair.

the_druid_droid
2013-02-04, 11:31 PM
Jon winced at the thump, but pressed on. "I know you're feeling bad, but I wanted to thank you. The DJ was hurt pretty bad, and you probably saved her life. I couldn't do that, as much as I wish I could have. Watching you do that was... impressive."

BlasTech
2013-02-05, 06:40 AM
"... Thnks" came Isabelle's muffled reply. With one last sigh, she rolled her head onto its side so she could converse with Jon rather than the tabletop.

"I just hope it was enough." she said, softly, when her eyes found her fellow changeling.

"I mean, I know how bad it was, and I did all I could, but ... I don't know ... if she doesn't make it after all that ... I don't want to ... ughh!" she broke off, rubbing her face into the table again.

"Srry. Brain not workn tday."

the_druid_droid
2013-02-06, 12:46 AM
Jon moved to sit in the chair he'd been leaning on, and drew it up closer to the table. "Look, whatever happens now isn't your fault. It's not anyone's fault, except whatever or whoever did that to her in the first place. You gave her the best chance she probably has to make it through, and I know Talmage knows that. It's not like I would've been any help back there."

BlasTech
2013-02-06, 06:17 AM
"Yeah ... I know" Isabelle sighed, her voice sounding like she didn't quite believe the words. She rolled over, staring up at Jon again.

"Look, I appreciate the thought Jon." she said, wearily. "but all up, while I am really worried for her, it's like only a third of the crud I'm trying to sort through today."

"I mean, yeah I really really want to know she's going to be okay ... but ... ughhh" she rolled her face into the table a little bit more before continuing. "You ever have one of those days where you've got a million thoughts going on and no idea how to even begin thinking about them? Yeah, well that's kinda how my head feels right now."

Deadly
2013-02-06, 09:30 AM
Charlene was about to sit down herself, but then decided not to. She was looking rather lifeless too. "I for one would like to take my mind off things and do something. Maybe we all should," she suggested.

the_druid_droid
2013-02-06, 11:40 PM
"Yeah, I know the feeling. Maybe Charlene's right - we can't do very much sitting around. I think you both wanted to go back to the University sometime, and I wouldn't mind keeping an eye on my sister. From a distance this time - I promise I won't do anything stupid if we go back."

BlasTech
2013-02-07, 12:22 AM
"Wrks fr mee" Isabelle mumbled to the table. "I ws only gng to bug Vrel fr her cmputer anywy, bt it cn wait."

Deadly
2013-02-07, 08:27 AM
Charlene nodded. "I do need to go back there and finish my job. Though I'm a bit unsure how to continue. You wanted to check their library, I think?" she said to Isabelle and thought a bit. "And perhaps I should just start by paying the Dean a visit. Even if he's possessed by a demon he's not going to eat random students who come to see him ... right?"

the_druid_droid
2013-02-07, 10:04 PM
"Let's hope so..." Jon said, looking uncertain. "I'm really more worried about running into that janitor though. He doesn't seem to like us very well."

BlasTech
2013-02-08, 07:46 AM
"Oh yeah, that guy" said Isabelle, distractedly, as she lifted herself off the table. The fact that she didn't immediately begin staring into space and muttering about shirtless scotsmen spoke volumes as to her mental state today.

"Yeah I can take a look at the library, but I'd rather come with you if you're going anywhere near the Dean's. Granted he might not eat regular students, but we're hardly regular now aren't we?"

Deadly
2013-02-08, 07:53 AM
"Good point," Charlene agreed. "So we go to the Dean first then, and if we're not eaten we can go to the library together afterwards? Sounds like a plan. Now we just need to decide what we're going to see the Dean about," she said as she got her jacket

Thanqol
2013-02-08, 07:57 AM
Felix already had the car warmed up for them as they started to head outside.

"Situation update," he said without any perceptible emotion, other than perhaps a vague sense of self-satisfaction, "Jaeger's in a coma. Talmage is saying whoever can heal her can name his price."

BlasTech
2013-02-08, 11:11 PM
Isabelle glanced to her two friends, the mental lethargy of the day evaporating in light of the news.

"Do you think you guys can handle the school if I look in to this?" she asked.

the_druid_droid
2013-02-09, 12:24 AM
Isabelle glanced to her two friends, the mental lethargy of the day evaporating in light of the news.

"Do you think you guys can handle the school if I look in to this?" she asked.

"Sure. We'll let you know if we find out anything." Jon shuffled into the car before giving Isabelle one last look. "Good luck."

Deadly
2013-02-09, 07:51 AM
"Yeah, no trouble," Charlene said to Isabelle as she sat on the back seat. "And we probably wouldn't be much help there."

the_druid_droid
2013-02-10, 12:27 AM
"So... how can I help you out?" Jon glanced over at Charlene, looking a little sheepish with the memory of his last visit to the University still uncomfortably fresh in his mind.

Thanqol
2013-02-10, 06:07 AM
It was short order before Charlene and Jon were deposited at the University, but Isabelle had been loaned a vehicle in the meantime (a car that Talmage used as 'The Rental' because no intelligent purpose would either buy or steal. Everything worked, it was just either slightly too small or too far away or inconveniently placed). If she took it, her trip to Providence Williamette Falls would be uneventful.

BlasTech
2013-02-10, 06:29 AM
Isabelle accepted the ride gratefully, but made extra sure to drive carefully to her destination; it wouldn't do to get in an accident when she still didn't have her license on her.

Reaching her destination, helpfully provided by Felix, she parked the car and looked around; hoping to see signs of Talmage nearby.

[Sorry for delay in post, today was Chinese New Year, so had a rather full day of food-related stuff on.]

Deadly
2013-02-10, 03:43 PM
"So... how can I help you out?" Jon glanced over at Charlene, looking a little sheepish with the memory of his last visit to the University still uncomfortably fresh in his mind.

Charlene stopped outside the university and considered for a while. She gave Jon a look and seemed to have an idea. "We are going to see the dean, but we can't just barge in without a purpose. One of the drawings that girl made was of a trophy, which I found was an actual cheerleading trophy in the administration wing, so perhaps there's a connection. And we're both fairly sporty people. That's why we'll be inquiring about the university's sports teams."

[I have no idea why students would go to see the dean, seeing how I'm not especially familiar with the US system of higher education, so any specific ideas would help a lot. Somehow I think the dean wouldn't be concerned with helping students join a team or stuff like that.]

the_druid_droid
2013-02-11, 01:23 AM
Charlene stopped outside the university and considered for a while. She gave Jon a look and seemed to have an idea. "We are going to see the dean, but we can't just barge in without a purpose. One of the drawings that girl made was of a trophy, which I found was an actual cheerleading trophy in the administration wing, so perhaps there's a connection. And we're both fairly sporty people. That's why we'll be inquiring about the university's sports teams."

[I have no idea why students would go to see the dean, seeing how I'm not especially familiar with the US system of higher education, so any specific ideas would help a lot. Somehow I think the dean wouldn't be concerned with helping students join a team or stuff like that.]

[I think it varies depending on what he's the dean of, but if it's general academics, you could probably complain about grades. Broadly, I think the deans handle more administrative things, so we could try and put in a complaint about a team coach, a professor, or something.]

Jon nodded. "Ok, I can help with that. Which way to the office?"

Thanqol
2013-02-11, 03:58 AM
Isabelle accepted the ride gratefully, but made extra sure to drive carefully to her destination; it wouldn't do to get in an accident when she still didn't have her license on her.

Reaching her destination, helpfully provided by Felix, she parked the car and looked around; hoping to see signs of Talmage nearby.

[Sorry for delay in post, today was Chinese New Year, so had a rather full day of food-related stuff on.]

In some quirk of Fate, Talmage was coming out right as Isabelle showed up. He looked grim, but that seemed to radiate off him in waves, inspiring feelings of sympathy and drive. He was somehow inspiring when he was troubled.

[The dean mostly handles admin and organises teachers and courses, equivalent to the Chancellor in an Australian university]

Walking through the university as a Changeling was strange. Everything seemed normal, with the exception of the team of timber wolves playing rugby on the pitch. It wasn't clear what their human opponents were seeing, but the wolves were applying all kinds of dirty tricks, like dismembering themselves and throwing their heads across to intercept the ball mid-flight.

BlasTech
2013-02-11, 07:16 AM
In some quirk of Fate, Talmage was coming out right as Isabelle showed up. He looked grim, but that seemed to radiate off him in waves, inspiring feelings of sympathy and drive. He was somehow inspiring when he was troubled.

As if Isabelle needed any more inspiration to do what was right.

"Prince." She greeted him as he strode up. "How is she? Felix only gave us the short version."

Thanqol
2013-02-11, 07:25 AM
As if Isabelle needed any more inspiration to do what was right.

"Prince." She greeted him as he strode up. "How is she? Felix only gave us the short version."

"Comatose," grunted Talmage. "It's pretty bad. Damage like this is going to need some potent magic to clear up."

He turned away, "And I want it cleared up. Not only is she my friend, but whatever attacked her she saw. And I want a name."

the_druid_droid
2013-02-11, 11:48 PM
Jon gaped briefly as they passed the wolves, but quickly turned away. He had promised himself he wouldn't act like a flake this time around, and so he was going to be normal and oblivious to all the creepiness if it killed him.

He just wished he could forget that he was a part of that creepiness.

Deadly
2013-02-12, 07:51 AM
Charlene couldn't help but slow down a bit to watch the play. "I just bet that's how we lost some of our matches back in the day," she muttered, then shook it off. "Jon, we're going to need a little investigation before we see the dean. I need a teacher; name, look and other details. And you'll be my student, you can start thinking of something you've done wrong while we look," she said and began heading out in search of an unsuspecting teacher to impersonate.

[I'll just assume we find a random coach or teacher who fits Charlene's needs, unless you have a particular one you want us to find or anything else. Waiting for Jon to post something he's done wrong too, then we're off to the Dean's office]

Thanqol
2013-02-12, 07:57 AM
Charlene couldn't help but slow down a bit to watch the play. "I just bet that's how we lost some of our matches back in the day," she muttered, then shook it off. "Jon, we're going to need a little investigation before we see the dean. I need a teacher; name, look and other details. And you'll be my student, you can start thinking of something you've done wrong while we look," she said and began heading out in search of an unsuspecting teacher to impersonate.

[I'll just assume we find a random coach or teacher who fits Charlene's needs, unless you have a particular one you want us to find or anything else. Waiting for Jon to post something he's done wrong too, then we're off to the Dean's office]

[Some kind of Socialise roll, or even Politics, seems appropriate in getting an idea of who an appropriate person to imitate would be.]

BlasTech
2013-02-12, 07:58 AM
"Comatose," grunted Talmage. "It's pretty bad. Damage like this is going to need some potent magic to clear up."

He turned away, "And I want it cleared up. Not only is she my friend, but whatever attacked her she saw. And I want a name."

"Me too." replied Isabelle, her face set. "I'll do my best to give her that chance to speak. Someone has to, and it's like you said, I'm the only one around."

"Two things before we go in, though. First off, does the phrase 'Freedom is Everything' mean anything to you?"

Deadly
2013-02-12, 08:03 AM
[Some kind of Socialise roll, or even Politics, seems appropriate in getting an idea of who an appropriate person to imitate would be.]

[Wits+Politics? Charlene's knowledge of politics probably does include some ken of the typical university structure]

Thanqol
2013-02-12, 08:06 AM
[Wits+Politics? Charlene's knowledge of politics probably does include some ken of the typical university structure]

[Go for it.]

Deadly
2013-02-12, 08:09 AM
[Wits+Politics = 5 : 7, 10, 2, 10, 8, ten again 3, ten again 10, ten again 2

4 successes, wow]