PDA

View Full Version : "Trapped! Trapped like rats!" (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-12-10, 11:24 PM
Containment
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/level)
Area: 10 ft. radius
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Ref
Spell Resistance: as antimagic field

This spell functions exactly as the spell antimagic field, save that you target a specific area within range. Additionally, this dome is coated on the outside with a wall of force, effectively trapping anything inside it until the spell ends or is dispelled. When the spell is first cast, creatures caught inside must succeed on a Reflex save or be trapped inside the dome. On a successful save, they are moved to the closest empty space outside the dome's radius.

Material Component: A set of masterwork manacles.

Arcanist
2012-12-11, 12:13 AM
Containment
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/level)
Area: 10 ft. radius
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance:

This spell functions exactly as the spell antimagic field, save that you target a specific area within range. Additionally, this dome is coated on the outside with a wall of force, effectively trapping anything inside it until the spell ends or is dispelled.

Material Component: A set of masterwork manacles.

Make it a 9th level spell, make it replicate the effects of Forcecage, and give it a much more expensive material component and bam, your spell makes perfect sense. Also, if you're interested make it Dual Schooled (see PHB2). It will make so much more sense to be Abjuration/Evocation [Force].

Garryl
2012-12-11, 09:45 AM
This should probably be an epic spell, maybe a 9th level spell, but definitely not a 7th level spell. Unless you have one of a few very specific spells or class features, there's no escaping this, and it allows no defense. The nearest equivalent spell I can think of would be a Chained Antimagic Ray plus a Forcecage (9th + 8th level equivalents, respectively). Even without the Forcecage-like component, this would be worth an 8th or 9th level slot for providing an Antimagic Field that you can center on a point other than yourself.

Noctis Vigil
2012-12-11, 04:53 PM
Minor update, only change is that the force wall pops up one round after the field appears. Will probably be upping the level to 8 later though.

Zman
2012-12-11, 04:57 PM
Minor update, only change is that the force wall pops up one round after the field appears. Will probably be upping the level to 8 later though.

Even with the delay I'd make it a lvl9 spell and maybe a more expensive material component. Or at least make the manacles have a value, say ~500gp.

Noctis Vigil
2012-12-11, 05:48 PM
This just isn't as good as Imprisonment, so no, this is not 9th level equivalent. It shuts someone down for a couple of hours tops. If this is made 9th level, at minimum the duration is going way up.

bobthe6th
2012-12-11, 06:10 PM
It is a no save just lose to a character(or a small group).
Imprisonment at least allows a save.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-12-11, 06:55 PM
Mmm. I'd take out the delay-- as it stands, it'll only ever trap immobile people-- but allow a Reflex save to escape the field, at the cost of your next move action.

Asheram
2012-12-11, 07:05 PM
Mmm. I'd take out the delay-- as it stands, it'll only ever trap immobile people-- but allow a Reflex save to escape the field, at the cost of your next move action.

I agree with this. Take out the delay, give it a reflex save, make it so it's a L9 spell.
(L8 With a delay but still a reflex save when the delay runs out)

Zman
2012-12-11, 07:09 PM
Adding in the save is a solid choice for a Lvl 8. No reflex save, Lvl 9.

Noctis Vigil
2012-12-11, 09:20 PM
Raised to L8, added Ref save.

Arcanist
2012-12-13, 01:00 AM
Raised to L8, added Ref save.

It doesn't exactly need a save. What it needs is an increase in level and a shortened duration (1 round/level is enough). The way the spell is now is that it is a no-save-just-suck. Adding a Ref save isn't exactly making it any better for balance since you WILL be casting this on Casters.

Hanuman
2012-12-13, 07:16 AM
I expend 5' of my Strange Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153536).

Dimension door or teleport works equally well, as does dimension stride boots or similar.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-12-13, 10:23 AM
Dimension door or teleport works equally well, as does dimension stride boots or similar.

Anti-magic field.

Hanuman
2012-12-13, 04:27 PM
Oh well, I guess the rest of the part can't get out.

Yay for being different!