PDA

View Full Version : [DFRPG] City of Roses: Casefile 1, Wild Nights

Veet
2012-12-11, 02:14 AM
December 19th 2:15 pm, The Dragons Lair (William & Drake)

When William arrived at the Dragons Lair the light drizzle that had opened up into a steady pour. By this time the lunch crowd had moved out and there would be only a few stragglers left in the bar until the after work crowd found its way. Drake was waiting by the door and Oleg was busying himself wiping down counters and casting furrowed looks at the woman in the far corner hunched over a cup of tea. She had shown up about an hour before, making clumsy attempts to ask for help when Drake had finally intercepted her she was in near hysterics babbling about sorcerers and monsters and a missing roommate. When Drake had finally been able to calm her he was able to ascertain that she was not clued in but had been recently told that her roommate who had been missing for a few days had fallen in with a dangerous cult and needed help but as of yet he had not been able to get the whole story....

December 19th 2:15pm SW Waller Ave and Sheridan St (Touby)

The drone of traffic from the freeway which passed over a bridge at this spot kept things from being eerily quiet. It had been one of those feelings that led Touby here this morning to find fire crews busy putting out a fire in this old warehouse. The place looked like it had been abandoned for some time now, a sign still hung above the entrance proclaiming that this was once a greyhound station but now it only held old equipment that no one missed. The fire damage seems to have been contained in one corner of the building but the crew had pried most of the boards blocking the doors and left them guarded now only with flimsy police tape making entrance a simple matter.

The building was big but mostly empty so a search was relatively easy. Touby discovered in a loft tucked away away from the fire some camping gear, someone had been living here, a few someones from the looks of it.

The sound of one of the doors closing echoed from across the warehouse drawing Touby's attention.....

December 19th 2:15pm Burnside and 20th (Thomas)

Thomas had to shield his eyes as the temperature dropped suddenly and the falling rain turned to an icy slush. The two furry creatures lay in heaps in the alley behind Franks Automotive where they had cornered a pair of boys, now they had several bullet holes pouring out a strange green smoke where Thomas had shot them. There was no sign of the boys he had stepped in to help. A voice came impossible to pinpoint in the sudden flurry of frozen rain.

"Mortal" A tenor male voice echoed "You have allowed my quarry to escape. Perhaps in their stead you would give the answers I sought from them" A shadow appeared at the mouth of the alley obscured by the weather. Thomas raised his gun though it was more an exercise in intimidation as he was pretty sure he had emptied the clip into the creatures. As it aproached it was revealed to be a man, tall, bare chested, blue skinned. The man looked scornfully at Thomas with dark eyes. "Where is the Old Man?"....

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-11, 03:57 AM
William Bannon

William hurried down into the Dragon's Lair, eager to get out of the rain that chilled him to the bone. The place was nice and warm, a safe haven of sorts when it wasn't a danger magnet, which admittedly didn't make it much of a safe haven after all. Still, the food was good. Shaking off a bit and finding a place to hang his coat, he looked from Drake to the girl in the corner. Making his way over, he grabbed a seat across from her, "So you're the girl who's friend's gone missing, huh? Why don't you tell me everything you know and I'll see what I can do to help."

Wyntonian
2012-12-11, 11:35 AM
Thomas Seawright

Thomas levels the gun at the man's center of mass. "You'll have to forgive me, friend. I get a mite jumpy when I hear children screaming in abject terror. Now, how about you show me those hands before we learn what color a smurf bleeds, hm?" He weighs the gun in his hand. Empty. Damn.

Anariel, what that hell is that thing? Winter fey?

Note that I'm listening for any trace of evil. It'll come across as any really unpleasant noise.

Also, rolling lore to determine what that thing is.

Welp. That's not going to work. Is there a hidden FATE dice function I'm not seeing, or shall I Honor System it?

Green Bean
2012-12-11, 01:23 PM
"Toby" Sao

Touby went through the abandoned bus station quickly and quietly. He had lived a third of his life in places like this, so he knew the signs of recent habitation. He couldn't put his finger on it yet, but something about the fire didn't fit. He'd learned to follow his hunches, and miraculously it'd been a quiet afternoon.

He didn't flinch when the door slammed, and instead dropped to his knees and crawled into a nearby pile of detritus. At this time of day, it was probably just another investigator, but Touby didn't need an arrest for trespassing right now. He strains his ears, trying to hear footsteps.

Making a Hiding roll - I'll use the recommendation in the core book to roll d6s and treat 1 and 2 as -, 3 and 4 as blank, and 5 and 6 as + until we can come to a proper solution.

[roll0]
Edit: (-1)+5 skill bonus

Veet
2012-12-11, 11:27 PM
William Bannon

William hurried down into the Dragon's Lair, eager to get out of the rain that chilled him to the bone. The place was nice and warm, a safe haven of sorts when it wasn't a danger magnet, which admittedly didn't make it much of a safe haven after all. Still, the food was good. Shaking off a bit and finding a place to hang his coat, he looked from Drake to the girl in the corner. Making his way over, he grabbed a seat across from her, "So you're the girl who's friend's gone missing, huh? Why don't you tell me everything you know and I'll see what I can do to help."

The girl looks up obviously uncomfortable and nervous about being here, as if someone had told her that everyone here might just jump up at any time and say boo.

"I...I'm Becky" she replied "My roommate Laura has been gone for about three days now". She sips at the tea "I...I didn't think anything of it at first, I mean she sometimes goes to visit her parents without mentioning it to me" she is close to tears at this point "Then this morning a man knocked on the door and was looking for her. He told me she had gotten involved in a cult or something and that she was in danger. I asked him what I should do and he gave me this before he left" She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a little match book from the Dragons Lair setting it down on the table.

Veet
2012-12-11, 11:47 PM
Thomas Seawright

Thomas levels the gun at the man's center of mass. "You'll have to forgive me, friend. I get a mite jumpy when I hear children screaming in abject terror. Now, how about you show me those hands before we learn what color a smurf bleeds, hm?" He weighs the gun in his hand. Empty. Damn.

A faint but annoying sound like ice hitting wind chimes sounds in the air around Thomas. The man flashes a sardonic smile, the smurf reference obviously lost on him "The fey bloods were hardly children" he remarks "Besides I promised not to hurt them if they furnished me the information I needed."

Anariel, what that hell is that thing? Winter fey?

It is quite possible. comes a flat calm voice almost blending with the surrounding noise, The two creatures you shot most definitely are. Anariel points out a faint light highlighting the green smoke coming from the wounds where the jacketed bullets had hit them.

The man ***** his head to the side "Perhaps you cannot help me, but you are claimed for another so I cannot make you the same deal" The two furry cascaras burst into green flame at a gesture from him "I will have to repay this favor in the future though" He turns to walk away pausing after a few steps he turns back "I simply need to locate the Old Man. The quicker I find him the better it will be for all, my brothers are coming".

An ice flurry whips up around him and he's gone.

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-11, 11:50 PM
William Bannon

He reaches out, placing a comforting hand on the girl's shoulder before taking the matchstick from her, looking at it and then Drake before turning his attention back to the tearful co-ed, "Who was this man that you talked with, Becky? Can you describe him to me? And what did he say about the cult? Did he say if it had a name? Every detail is important here, so I'll need you to remember exactly what he told you."

Veet
2012-12-11, 11:54 PM
"Toby" Sao

Touby went through the abandoned bus station quickly and quietly. He had lived a third of his life in places like this, so he knew the signs of recent habitation. He couldn't put his finger on it yet, but something about the fire didn't fit. He'd learned to follow his hunches, and miraculously it'd been a quiet afternoon.

He didn't flinch when the door slammed, and instead dropped to his knees and crawled into a nearby pile of detritus. At this time of day, it was probably just another investigator, but Touby didn't need an arrest for trespassing right now. He strains his ears, trying to hear footsteps.

Making a Hiding roll - I'll use the recommendation in the core book to roll d6s and treat 1 and 2 as -, 3 and 4 as blank, and 5 and 6 as + until we can come to a proper solution.

[roll0]
Edit: (-1)+5 skill bonus

There are plenty of places for Touby to conceal himself around, he settles for wedging himself behind an old bench pressed up against a rusting row of lockers. Footsteps echo in the old place as someone heads directly for the little squatters nest with purpose. A young man rounds the corner he's bundled up in a rough wool sweater his hair a dredlocked mess and a faint wisp of a beard touches his chin. He heads straight to one of the bed rolls and begins to rummage around.

Rizhail
2012-12-12, 01:24 AM
James 'Drake' Davis

Drake let Will do the talking, since the wereraven had more experience with this sort of thing. The matchbook and mention of someone pointing Becky to the bar certainly got his attention, though. Great, is this guy someone who actually wants her to get help or is she being used against us somehow? Never can tell with all the things I've pissed off since moving in.

He leaned back, stroking his chin and running through a mental list of his enemies while waiting for the girl to continue. Vampires, fae, demons, and now potentially a cult. Hoo boy, life could get nasty real soon...

Wyntonian
2012-12-12, 10:21 AM
Thomas

Thomas blinks in surprise, but shrugs it off reloading his gun and turning the safety on (Grampa Vergil taught him right) before slipping it into the holster under his arm. He turns and trots the other way down the alley. "Hey! Kids! C'mere, you look like you need a hot meal." he calls, in the same voice his grandfather would use to calm down a pregnant cow.

Self-compel on My Grandfather's Son to follow the kids. It's the right thing to do, and a bit harder than going home and getting some sleep.

Green Bean
2012-12-12, 01:17 PM
Toby

The man didn't look like a cop or an official to Touby, and he was usually pretty good at spotting them. He slowly stood up, and contrived to look like he had just been out of sight, rather than deliberately hiding. He let out a raspy, attention-getting cough, ready to bolt or talk, depending on how things went.

Veet
2012-12-12, 08:32 PM
William Bannon

He reaches out, placing a comforting hand on the girl's shoulder before taking the matchstick from her, looking at it and then Drake before turning his attention back to the tearful co-ed, "Who was this man that you talked with, Becky? Can you describe him to me? And what did he say about the cult? Did he say if it had a name? Every detail is important here, so I'll need you to remember exactly what he told you."

"He said his name was...Mr Blanc" She says sounding unsure "He had an accent, maybe he was from Austraila? I'm not sure. He just said that Laura had gotten mixed up with a cult and was in danger, then after he gave me that he checked his watch and said he had to go". She thinks for a second "She has been hanging around with some of the people into that new agey stuff around campus".

Veet
2012-12-12, 08:38 PM
Thomas

Thomas blinks in surprise, but shrugs it off reloading his gun and turning the safety on (Grampa Vergil taught him right) before slipping it into the holster under his arm. He turns and trots the other way down the alley. "Hey! Kids! C'mere, you look like you need a hot meal." he calls, in the same voice his grandfather would use to calm down a pregnant cow.

Self-compel on My Grandfather's Son to follow the kids. It's the right thing to do, and a bit harder than going home and getting some sleep.

A pair of boys emerge from hiding at the far end of the alley, obviously street kids probably late teens. The temperature noticeably rises to above freezing turning the freezing rain into the normal soggy kind. They look around obviously surprised.

"You drove em off?" One says looking at the burn spots on the ground then up at Thomas thoughtfully.

The other inhales through his nose as if he smells something then says quietly to the other "Watch out, he ain't normal".

Veet
2012-12-12, 08:41 PM
Toby

The man didn't look like a cop or an official to Touby, and he was usually pretty good at spotting them. He slowly stood up, and contrived to look like he had just been out of sight, rather than deliberately hiding. He let out a raspy, attention-getting cough, ready to bolt or talk, depending on how things went.

The man looks up and jumps noticeably then smiles and laughs a relieved laugh "Oh man I thought you were a cop for a second there" he says brushing his surprise off "hey I've seen you around before" He adds pointing at Touby "Yeah I've seen you downtown a few times" He shakes his head "This place is no good to crash anymore, the cops are on to us and worse yet one of the others is too, I'm just back to get my things then I'm out".

Wyntonian
2012-12-13, 12:47 AM
Thomas

Thomas smiles disarmingly. "Yeah, Colt made 'em equal. The blue guy bugged out, though. Friend of yours? Mentioned an old man?" If they look at all worried, he'll raise his hands politely. "No need to be afraid, guys, you don't need to tell me anything. Just wondering."

He raises his eyebrows at the other kid, who pegged him as marked. "And you've got a good nose. How 'bout we go smell us some lunch? I know a place, it's on me. Christ, you kids look colder than I am."

Green Bean
2012-12-13, 01:37 PM
Toby

"Just in time for the winter, too. " Toby shook his head ruefully. "But what do you mean, others? Who else'd want a place like this but us?"

Veet
2012-12-14, 03:11 AM
Thomas

Thomas smiles disarmingly. "Yeah, Colt made 'em equal. The blue guy bugged out, though. Friend of yours? Mentioned an old man?" If they look at all worried, he'll raise his hands politely. "No need to be afraid, guys, you don't need to tell me anything. Just wondering."

He raises his eyebrows at the other kid, who pegged him as marked. "And you've got a good nose. How 'bout we go smell us some lunch? I know a place, it's on me. Christ, you kids look colder than I am."

The two shake their head "Don't know who that guys is, he didn't mention a name just kept asking about his old man, don't know him either" The first boy scratches his head showing a thin film between his fingers, webbed hands. The two exchange nervous glances.

At the offer of food they both look at one another then shrug "yeah sure sounds good" the first one says and they begin to follow.

Veet
2012-12-14, 03:13 AM
Toby

"Just in time for the winter, too. " Toby shook his head ruefully. "But what do you mean, others? Who else'd want a place like this but us?"

The man shakes his head "I didn't bother to find out who he was" he says as he picks up a backpack and starts stuffing a few things in it "In my situation when a big green man shows up looking for something you don't stick around".

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-14, 01:10 PM
William Bannon

William nodded, listening to Becky until she finished, making mental note of everything the girl was telling him, "Okay, good, this is helpful. Do you know where this 'new agey' group is located on campus? Where they usually hang out?"

Rizhail
2012-12-14, 01:57 PM
James 'Drake' Davis

James was taking mental notes as Becky recounted what she knew. "Let me make a few calls, see if I can figure out who this 'Mr. Blanc' guy is. After that, I'll help you with tracking down these new age folks," James said to Will. Looking to Becky, he gave a reassuring smile. "Don't worry ma'am, you've come to the right folks for help on this."

With that, he stood and made his way to his office, just off from the main bar room. Pulling out an old fashioned rolodex, James started putting in calls with folks who might know something about this Mr. Blanc fellow.

Rolling Contacts to see if anyone James knows would be familiar with this dude, based on what information Becky was able to provide.

Contacts(+4): [roll0] total.

Green Bean
2012-12-14, 03:57 PM
Toby

"Big green guy?" Touby tried to sound joking, though inwardly the man's statement sent his brain into high alert. "Like green glowy alien, or more like the canned veggie guy?"

Wyntonian
2012-12-14, 07:10 PM
Thomas

Thomas takes the kids to the Dragon's Lair, and, failing to see James, snags a few menus. He plunks down with the kids at a table. "So, what do you guys go by? And how are you connected to the Weird Stuff around here? I saw your little fingery things, you guys changelings?"

Veet
2012-12-15, 01:25 PM
William Bannon

William nodded, listening to Becky until she finished, making mental note of everything the girl was telling him, "Okay, good, this is helpful. Do you know where this 'new agey' group is located on campus? Where they usually hang out?"

Becky tries to think for a second "I'm not sure about the people she was hanging out with but Laura likes to go to the bookstores around town, I think she met some of her friends at one nearby, it had a funny name I can't think of what it was called"

Veet
2012-12-15, 01:40 PM
James 'Drake' Davis

James was taking mental notes as Becky recounted what she knew. "Let me make a few calls, see if I can figure out who this 'Mr. Blanc' guy is. After that, I'll help you with tracking down these new age folks," James said to Will. Looking to Becky, he gave a reassuring smile. "Don't worry ma'am, you've come to the right folks for help on this."

With that, he stood and made his way to his office, just off from the main bar room. Pulling out an old fashioned rolodex, James started putting in calls with folks who might know something about this Mr. Blanc fellow.

Rolling Contacts to see if anyone James knows would be familiar with this dude, based on what information Becky was able to provide.

Contacts(+4): [roll0] total.

James makes a few calls with no success until he calls a John Glick. James really only knows John by reputation and the few times he's come to the Dragons Lair. He is a half-troll changeling that works for child services. He is known for having a special rapport with runaways.

"Blanc?" his deep voice sounds quiet over the phone "I don't know him but one of the girls who works down here says a guy calling himself Lapin Blanc stopped by looking for a runaway. She said he kind of gave him the creeps and was definitely not from around here. She pegged him as Irish or British". There is a slight pause as he rustles through some papers then replies an an even quieter tone "Also while I got you on the phone I've gotten reports of a possible Sidhe harassing some of the local changelings, a guy who is either green or blue corners em asks em a few questions like they should know then takes off, a few people tell me he told em his name was Jack, you hear anything about this?"

Veet
2012-12-15, 01:46 PM
Toby

"Big green guy?" Touby tried to sound joking, though inwardly the man's statement sent his brain ild nto high alert. "Like green glowy alien, or more like the canned veggie guy?"

He laughs out loud at that description "I'd say the veggie guy definitely" he replies and continues laughing.

"He called himself Jack" Says a woman's voice from behind an old overturned vending machine. Touby and the man both start as a young woman rises from the place she had been hiding, she is dressed in worn plain clothes a very athletic body but a face only a mother could love. She smiles shyly before waving "Hi Peter" she adds to the man"

Peter laughs off a start for the second time "Damn Helen you scared the hell out of me".

Veet
2012-12-15, 01:49 PM
Thomas

Thomas takes the kids to the Dragon's Lair, and, failing to see James, snags a few menus. He plunks down with the kids at a table. "So, what do you guys go by? And how are you connected to the Weird Stuff around here? I saw your little fingery things, you guys changelings?"

The one with webbed hands nods "I'm Ben and this is Collin" The second boy just nods "We're pretty sure we're changelings but we don't know our parents so we can't be sure. Though the others pick on us enough we figure that must mean we are".

Wyntonian
2012-12-16, 12:44 AM
Thomas

Tom nods. "I know that feeling. I was raised by my granddad, my dad died and my mom left right after I was born." He shakes his head, visibly casting the memories - or lack thereof - away. "Anyway, this place is a good one for folks like is. The owner, over there, doesn't take **** from anyone. You'd be safe here. Nice guy, really."

"Anyway, is there anything else you can tell me about that blue guy? Where he came from, what he wanted? I don't regret helping you out, but I'd like to know what I got into. Killed that guy's dogs, I mean, he might not be too pleased."

Green Bean
2012-12-16, 12:57 AM
Toby

"Hey, Helen, I'm Toby." Touby quickly recovered couldn't help but wonder how long she'd been hiding there. "I guess I've heard everything now. What'd he want, anyway? Big green guy going around hassling people, I've got a few friends I should warn, you know?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-16, 01:52 AM
William Bannon

"Hmm, you don't know the name, then?" He pat her shoulder again, "I'll see what I can find out. If you need to contact me again, just call me here." He set down a little slip of paper with his cell phone number on it. It seemed like Drake was still busy with some calls of his own, so William moved to the bar and simply waited, glancing over at the man with the two kids, offering a small nod of acknowledgement.

Veet
2012-12-16, 01:20 PM
Thomas

Tom nods. "I know that feeling. I was raised by my granddad, my dad died and my mom left right after I was born." He shakes his head, visibly casting the memories - or lack thereof - away. "Anyway, this place is a good one for folks like is. The owner, over there, doesn't take **** from anyone. You'd be safe here. Nice guy, really."

"Anyway, is there anything else you can tell me about that blue guy? Where he came from, what he wanted? I don't regret helping you out, but I'd like to know what I got into. Killed that guy's dogs, I mean, he might not be too pleased."

Ben shakes his head "He just showed up with those two dog things, said his name was Jack then asked about an old man. We don't know anything about any old man so we ran. The dog things cornered us in that alley and then you showed up"

"It got really cold when he first showed up" Collin chimes in quietly "and he smelled funny, not like winter, I've only smelled that on trolls and other wyld ones before".

Veet
2012-12-16, 01:23 PM
Toby

"Hey, Helen, I'm Toby." Touby quickly recovered couldn't help but wonder how long she'd been hiding there. "I guess I've heard everything now. What'd he want, anyway? Big green guy going around hassling people, I've got a few friends I should warn, you know?"

"He asked a few questions about an old man then when no one knew what he was talking about started trashing the place and started the fire" she says quietly "that's when I ran off and hid under the bridge, I'm 18 now the trolls won't bother me there".

Wyntonian
2012-12-16, 04:18 PM
Thomas

Thomas arches an eyebrow at that. "Huh. That's weird, I definitely got a Winter vibe from him. Hang on, I'll go see if Drake or William have heard anything."

Thomas makes his way over to the bar. "Hey, Will. Got a couple kids that got hassled by a Wyld guy, name of Jack, that wants to know if they know an "Old Man". I honestly have no idea what's going on, have you heard anything?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-16, 06:19 PM
William Bannon

William sighs, running a hand through his hair, "Haven't heard anything about anything like that. There's a girl here who's friend has gone missing, possibly joined some cult. That's kind of my priority right now, but if I hear anything than I'll let you know. Though, honestly, I try to avoid that faerie stuff."

Rizhail
2012-12-16, 09:09 PM
James 'Drake' Davis

"No, I haven't. If I find out anything about either Blanc or this Jack fella', I'll let you know. Thanks for the info, John," James said as he finished taking a few notes. He hung up the phone and sighed. "Not a lot to go on. I reckon we'd best get to work on this new agey cult thing."

Stepping back out into the bar room, James caught part of Thomas' and Will's conversation.

"Well, it looks like everyone came to the right place today," he said as he stepped behind the bar, slipping past Oleg to grab a beer for himself. James cocked an eyebrow at Will and Thomas, raising the bottle to see if they wanted a drink.

"Thomas, nice to see ya again. Will, I just got off the phone with an acquaintance of mine, a changeling who works in child services. He said one of his folks had run into this Blanc character before; seems he a bit...off, I guess you'd say. Not from 'round here, at least. He was apparently looking for a runaway kid at the time, gave the woman working there the creeps."

Taking a swig from his beer, he looked over at Thomas. "And my contact also asked me to keep an eye out for an odd guy, possibly a Sidhe, who'd been harassing local changelings. He's described as green or blue, and apparently goes by Jack. Sound like your guy?" James asked, knowing full well what the answer would be.

Wyntonian
2012-12-16, 11:48 PM
Thomas

Thomas takes a beer and greets Drake. "Hey, good to see you too. And yeah, that's exactly it, blue guy messing with those changeling kids over there." He points with the neck of his bottle. "I also kinda shot his dogs, so I'm not sure how friendly he'll be."

He leans back, staring at the ceiling. "Hey, think these might be related? And do we know that Will's missing girl didn't just get nabbed by Reds or something?"

Green Bean
2012-12-17, 02:20 PM
Toby

Touby chuckled, a little sadly. "Must be nice. But if green man's still out there, I gotta look into it. Winter's here, we don't need to lose any more squats. Or worse, it gets pinned on us and the cops start running us into jail. Is there anything else you can tell me?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-17, 06:58 PM
William Bannon

William waved off the beer, "Sorry, I don't drink."

Looking to Thomas, he shrugged, "Its possible, its also possible she got herself mixed up with some crazy cult. Drake asked me to help out and I owe him a favor, so I'm going to help."

He glanced over at the girl again briefly, "We should probably get moving. The sooner the better. You want to help Tom with this blue guy, that's fine. I can probably track down the girl on my own, doesn't sound too difficult."

Veet
2012-12-17, 07:26 PM
Toby

Touby chuckled, a little sadly. "Must be nice. But if green man's still out there, I gotta look into it. Winter's here, we don't need to lose any more squats. Or worse, it gets pinned on us and the cops start running us into jail. Is there anything else you can tell me?"

Helen shakes her head "I don't know anything else" she then turns to Peter "We need to find Ben and Colin, they haven't been here since yesterday they need to know not to come back"

Wyntonian
2012-12-17, 08:06 PM
Tom salutes halfheartedly. "Have fun, be safe, call me if you need a hand. Oh, and I'd send in a missing persons report too. Might as well get the police on it, too."

He thanks Drake for the beer and makes his way to a corner before calling a couple friends and contacts, a former army chaplain, a drunk crook of a medium and a cute Indian student about the blue man.

Rolling Contacts to see if I can deduce anything else.
[roll0]

Veet
2012-12-18, 01:48 AM
Tom salutes halfheartedly. "Have fun, be safe, call me if you need a hand. Oh, and I'd send in a missing persons report too. Might as well get the police on it, too."

He thanks Drake for the beer and makes his way to a corner before calling a couple friends and contacts, a former army chaplain, a drunk crook of a medium and a cute Indian student about the blue man.

Rolling Contacts to see if I can deduce anything else.
[roll0]

Kyle, Toms chaplain friend, hadn't heard anything along those lines but promised to keep his ear to the ground. George knew better than to give Tom the mystical runaround and was honest about not hearing anything but gave a warning that Solstice was only a few days away and the Fey crowd puts a lot of weight around that. Then Tom called Mohini.

"I don't know much about a blue man but I have a friend who majors in European literature, she talks about fairies and stuff all the time and I've heard her mention The Green Man before" She talks quickly and almost without breathing "Come to think of it I think his name is actually Jack of the Green, how many faeries could be out there named Jack? It seems an odd name for a faerie to me".

Wyntonian
2012-12-18, 10:26 AM
Thomas

Thomas wedges in profuse thanks, promises her lunch sometime, and returns to the kids. "So, turns out we are, actually, dealing with a fey of some sort, Jack of the Green. I'm off work for the next little bit, so I'll look into this. How about you help me find some of the other kids he's hassled, see if they know anything?"

Rizhail
2012-12-18, 06:12 PM
James 'Drake' Davis

"Actually, I'm going to stay here while you two do your thing," James replied to Will as Thomas went off to make a few calls. "I'll see if I can convince Becky to make a police report, and keep an eye on her just in case. Once the evening rush starts in a hour or two, I'll work the room and see if anyone knows anything about this Blanc fellow, new agey cults, or that odd fae Jack."

Once Thomas finishes his calls, James calls out to him. "Keep in touch, Thomas. If you need any help, especially some muscle, you've got my number. Same for you, Will."

Veet
2012-12-18, 10:50 PM
Thomas

Thomas wedges in profuse thanks, promises her lunch sometime, and returns to the kids. "So, turns out we are, actually, dealing with a fey of some sort, Jack of the Green. I'm off work for the next little bit, so I'll look into this. How about you help me find some of the other kids he's hassled, see if they know anything?"

The two boys seem a little hesitant, obviously nervous. Collin whispers something to Ben. "I Know" Ben shoots back "Here you take this and go back then, I'll show him the flop house" Ben presses the styrofoam container with the leftovers in Collins hands, the two boys hadn't eaten much of their meal at all. Ben looks up to Tom "I know a place other changelings hang out, they might have seen something, it's down by the freeway though".

Veet
2012-12-18, 10:55 PM
William Bannon

William waved off the beer, "Sorry, I don't drink."

Looking to Thomas, he shrugged, "Its possible, its also possible she got herself mixed up with some crazy cult. Drake asked me to help out and I owe him a favor, so I'm going to help."

He glanced over at the girl again briefly, "We should probably get moving. The sooner the better. You want to help Tom with this blue guy, that's fine. I can probably track down the girl on my own, doesn't sound too difficult."

As William heads outside a distant peal of thunder rumbles through the city and rain comes down harder, people passing wrap their jackets closer to them, few have umbrellas. Possibly the most odd thing about this city is that people seem to take offense to using umbrellas. Thunder was not common here either.

So all he had to do was track down a girl and a cult in the middle of a winter storm, no problem at all, but where to start?

Veet
2012-12-18, 11:06 PM
James 'Drake' Davis

"Actually, I'm going to stay here while you two do your thing," James replied to Will as Thomas went off to make a few calls. "I'll see if I can convince Becky to make a police report, and keep an eye on her just in case. Once the evening rush starts in a hour or two, I'll work the room and see if anyone knows anything about this Blanc fellow, new agey cults, or that odd fae Jack."

Once Thomas finishes his calls, James calls out to him. "Keep in touch, Thomas. If you need any help, especially some muscle, you've got my number. Same for you, Will."

James manages to get Becky to call the police in his office and busies himself with various chores as she talks giving her room. The foul weather makes the afternoon a bit slow, it's one of those rare moments when it's just him and Oleg tending to the pub.

"They won't find much" Oleg mumbles as he stacks glasses drawing James attention "I can feel it in my bones" he continues not looking up from his work "somethings coming that isn't friendly to the half breeds, all the changelings are going to be keeping their heads down.....or they might do something stupid". He points to the plaque on the wall the reads 'Accord Neutral Territory' "That's the only reason I'm staying".

Veet
2012-12-18, 11:24 PM
Toby

Helen shakes her head "I don't know anything else" she then turns to Peter "We need to find Ben and Colin, they haven't been here since yesterday they need to know not to come back"

Peter nods and the two leave together quietly. Touby doesn't seem to see anything else useful at this point and heads back to the entrance. The rain is coming down hard now even drowning out the drone of traffic from the freeway. Touby stands under the overhang in the dry doorway thinking of what else to do.

"Can I lend you an umbrella my dear boy?" says a voice from right next to him. Touby jumps to see a man standing next to him, not much taller than Touby but much better dressed, in fact dressed better than anyone Touby had seen in his life.

A red button up silk vest with a dark overcoat and slacks, polished black shoes silver cufflinks and two silver chains hanging from the breast pocket of the vest. He was wearing an honest to god bowler hat and holding a perfectly dry umbrella in the crux of his arm. He looked to be about in his early fifties his hair a salt and pepper mix as was his big bushy mustache. His eyes twinkle as he smiles and winks "Allow me to introduce myself" he continues, he clearly has an accent, high class English "Call me Blanc, Lapin Blanc" he touches the brim of his hat and bows his head "I'm looking for someone important".

Wyntonian
2012-12-19, 12:14 AM
Thomas

Thomas pulls out his keys. "Sounds good. Let's go." He acknowledges James and waves at they leave. "Will do, Drake."

We're off to see the changelings...

Green Bean
2012-12-19, 04:44 PM
Toby

"Oh, thank you, sir!" Touby said innocently. "I'm think I'm catching a cold."

He reached out for the umbrella, but was shivering badly. It took him a couple tries to take the umbrella with his shaking hands, and he almost stumbled and was forced to lean on Mr. Blanc for support.

"Who're you looking for?" Touby's expression was curious, if not overly endowed with intelligence.

Frisking Mr. Blanc here - looking for weapons, a wallet, anything unusual. Since pick-pocketing is Deceit, that's what I'll use here.

[roll0] +4 (Great)

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-19, 06:39 PM
William

William sighed as it began raining, moving along slowly down the street. He had planned to get a 'bird's eye' view of the area to try and find this oddly named bookstore that Becky had mentioned. However, with it beginning to pour down, with the promise of more on the way, he'd have to go around on foot and try to find the place. Pulling out his phone, he did a search for local bookstores. Maybe he'd get lucky and find it in the yellow pages?

Scholarship (Research): [roll0] + 2 = 3

Veet
2012-12-20, 02:30 AM
William

William sighed as it began raining, moving along slowly down the street. He had planned to get a 'bird's eye' view of the area to try and find this oddly named bookstore that Becky had mentioned. However, with it beginning to pour down, with the promise of more on the way, he'd have to go around on foot and try to find the place. Pulling out his phone, he did a search for local bookstores. Maybe he'd get lucky and find it in the yellow pages?

Scholarship (Research): [roll0] + 2 = 3

After the usual list of Powel's and the chain bookstores in the area Williams eye is caught by one listing, Daedalus Books the first review states "Not as big as Powel's but it has what you need". Daedalus could sound like a funny name to someone who doesn't read much.

Veet
2012-12-20, 02:39 AM
Toby

"Oh, thank you, sir!" Touby said innocently. "I'm think I'm catching a cold."

He reached out for the umbrella, but was shivering badly. It took him a couple tries to take the umbrella with his shaking hands, and he almost stumbled and was forced to lean on Mr. Blanc for support.

"Who're you looking for?" Touby's expression was curious, if not overly endowed with intelligence.

Frisking Mr. Blanc here - looking for weapons, a wallet, anything unusual. Since pick-pocketing is Deceit, that's what I'll use here.

[roll0] +4 (Great)

Touby doesn't feel anything overtly weapon like but his hand clasps around something soft most likely cloth. A handkerchief?

Mr Blanc helps Touby to steady himself before producing a small photograph "I'm looking for a young girl who goes by the name Laura, I fear she may have bitten off more than she can chew and I need to make sure nothing bad happens to her" He passes the photo to Touby, the photo appears to be the type that one would see in a high school yearbook of a girl in her late teens brown hair and eyes, pretty but otherwise unremarkable. "Its possible that she is frightened and seeking refuge amongst this cities transitory population".

Veet
2012-12-20, 02:44 AM
Thomas

Thomas pulls out his keys. "Sounds good. Let's go." He acknowledges James and waves at they leave. "Will do, Drake."

We're off to see the changelings...

Collin takes the food and heads away on his own in the direction of the waterfront. Ben goes with Tom "There's a place just off the Marquam bridge by the freeway, used to be a buss station but it's abandoned, sometimes we stay there if we don't have a place to go, but we need to be careful it bumps up right next to the bridge, sometimes trolls hand out there too".

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-20, 06:03 AM
William

"Its as good a lead as any, I guess.." He gets the address off his phone before tucking it back into his pocket, wrapping his leather jacket a little tighter around himself, a cold shudder running through him from the chill of the winter rain. William hurried along, hoping the place wasn't too far away.

Rizhail
2012-12-20, 10:00 PM
James 'Drake' Davis

James cocked a brow, somewhat shocked that Oleg was being so ominous. Sighing, he sat back against the bar and thought about how to proceed.

"Well then, we'd best make sure we're ready for whatever's coming. Keep the 12-gauge under the bar tonight," he said, referring to the pump-action shotgun he'd kept when he left Alabama. "I've got a box or two of steel shot in the office for dealing with full blood fae."

"I'll call in a few of the temp folks tonight, and set up a schedule for the next week or so," James continued, referring to the college students and other younger members of the supernatural community that occasional worked at the Lair when business was good. "Spread word to any changelings you know that they can come here if they're feeling unsafe. We don't have the room to have every half-fae in town crash here, but we can do something to help, maybe even organize with a few other folks to keep an eye on 'em."

James moved over to help Oleg with some of the cleaning and prep, giving his hands something to do while he worked through his thoughts.

"I'm not sure this Jack fella is the problem, though. If he's bothering changelings while trying to find someone else, he might be trying to find whoever is going to be causing the trouble you're sensing. Hmm..."

Coming to a decision, James cracked open another beer. "I won't be around much the next few days, unless something comes up to threaten the Lair or our customers or employees. I'm going to put some time on the street, helping Thomas and Will in their investigations. Anything comes around and acts mean, do what you can."

Veet
2012-12-21, 10:34 PM
William

"Its as good a lead as any, I guess.." He gets the address off his phone before tucking it back into his pocket, wrapping his leather jacket a little tighter around himself, a cold shudder running through him from the chill of the winter rain. William hurried along, hoping the place wasn't too far away.

Daedalus is up in North West part of town not far from the Japanese Gardens and the Zoo. It's a single story place wedged between a corner pub and an old big house that's been divided up into apartments. Inside it looks like a small warehouse that's had throw rugs placed over bare concrete and narrow wooden stacks crowded with all sized of books packed tight. The man behind the counter is husky with short grey hair and round glasses he nods as William enters.

Veet
2012-12-21, 10:37 PM
James 'Drake' Davis

James cocked a brow, somewhat shocked that Oleg was being so ominous. Sighing, he sat back against the bar and thought about how to proceed.

"Well then, we'd best make sure we're ready for whatever's coming. Keep the 12-gauge under the bar tonight," he said, referring to the pump-action shotgun he'd kept when he left Alabama. "I've got a box or two of steel shot in the office for dealing with full blood fae."

"I'll call in a few of the temp folks tonight, and set up a schedule for the next week or so," James continued, referring to the college students and other younger members of the supernatural community that occasional worked at the Lair when business was good. "Spread word to any changelings you know that they can come here if they're feeling unsafe. We don't have the room to have every half-fae in town crash here, but we can do something to help, maybe even organize with a few other folks to keep an eye on 'em."

James moved over to help Oleg with some of the cleaning and prep, giving his hands something to do while he worked through his thoughts.

"I'm not sure this Jack fella is the problem, though. If he's bothering changelings while trying to find someone else, he might be trying to find whoever is going to be causing the trouble you're sensing. Hmm..."

Coming to a decision, James cracked open another beer. "I won't be around much the next few days, unless something comes up to threaten the Lair or our customers or employees. I'm going to put some time on the street, helping Thomas and Will in their investigations. Anything comes around and acts mean, do what you can."

He nods "Gotcha boss" he says as he pulls the old rotary telephone from under the bar "where you off to first?"

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-22, 12:46 AM
William

William returns the nod, offering the man a smile as he looks around the store, "Nice place you've got here."

Turning his attention back to the husky fellow, he approached the counter, "I'm looking for a girl by the name of Laura who's gone missing. She's young, a college student. I was told that she visited this place often."

Veet
2012-12-23, 10:22 AM
William

William returns the nod, offering the man a smile as he looks around the store, "Nice place you've got here."

Turning his attention back to the husky fellow, he approached the counter, "I'm looking for a girl by the name of Laura who's gone missing. She's young, a college student. I was told that she visited this place often."

The man eyes William suspiciously "Are you a cop or something?" He asks.

Green Bean
2012-12-23, 10:36 AM
Toby

"Oh wow, I hope she's okay. This isn't a good time to be on the streets." Obviously, Touby didn't trust him in the least; too many things weren't adding up. His sudden appearance, fancy clothes on the city streets but no wallet or escort, no explanation of who the girl is or how he knows her. He decided to play it cool. "What's got her so scared, sir?"

Veet
2012-12-24, 10:47 AM
Toby

"Oh wow, I hope she's okay. This isn't a good time to be on the streets." Obviously, Touby didn't trust him in the least; too many things weren't adding up. His sudden appearance, fancy clothes on the city streets but no wallet or escort, no explanation of who the girl is or how he knows her. He decided to play it cool. "What's got her so scared, sir?"

Mr Blanc tugs on one of the silver chains attached to his breast pocket and pulls out an honest to god monocle placing it over his left eye he peers at Touby. "It is entirely possible that she has fallen in with a bad crowd who now wishes her harm" He never seems to speak in absolutes "It is my job to make sure no harm comes to her but she has been surprisingly difficult to locate".

Veet
2012-12-24, 11:00 AM
Thomas

Collin takes the food and heads away on his own in the direction of the waterfront. Ben goes with Tom "There's a place just off the Marquam bridge by the freeway, used to be a buss station but it's abandoned, sometimes we stay there if we don't have a place to go, but we need to be careful it bumps up right next to the bridge, sometimes trolls hand out there too".

This time of year it starts to get dark early, that's compounded when its raining hard and overcast making it especially dark when driving on the streets that pass beneath the mess of freeway bridges on on-ramp passes that make up the west side of the Marquam bridge, so of course one of the streets that Ben directed Tom down would be one of those streets and of course Tom would see something strange under there. silhouetted by shadow Tom sees the figure of an especially tall man punching at one of the bridge supports that shoot down into the earth next to the road wordlessly shouting in frustration.

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-24, 07:28 PM
William

William looked down at himself for a moment, at his leather jacket, his Darling Violetta t-shirt, and his skinny black jeans. Running a hand across his face, he felt the cool metal of the nose ring and the two lip rings that he had, finally smirking and eyeing the counter jockey, "Do I look like a cop? Seriously, I'm just a friend of a friend. Laura's roommate is worried sick about her, just wants to make sure she's alright, you know?"

Deceit Roll: [roll0] + 4 = 6

Green Bean
2012-12-27, 02:15 PM
Toby

Every warning siren in Touby's mind was going like a four alarm blaze, but he stayed calm and tried to smile reassuringly. "I'm sure she's fine, sir. But if you want, I'll keep my eye out for her. Most of us don't have anywhere else to go, it isn't right that she's out here when she has something to go back to."

He took a deep breath and tried to keep his tone interested but not overly so. "Where are you staying, maybe I can let you know if I see her?"

Rizhail
2012-12-27, 02:47 PM
James 'Drake' Davis

"I'm going to do a little research, see if I can find out anything about this 'Jack of the Green' fella. A Fae with a title like that should have something in the old tales. I'll be back in time for the evening rush, see if I can't learn anything from some of our regulars."

With that, James walks over to where he'd left Becky to call the police and make her report. "If you find out anything that might help us in our search, or if you just feel uncomfortable or scared, feel free to call or come over here. You can even stay for the evening, if you'd like. Anyone gives you any trouble, you just talk to ol' Oleg over there," he said, pointing over to the giant behind the bar. "He's a good fellow, keeps an eye on things around here."

Grabbing his coat, James then headed out the door, hopping into his beat up old jeep and heading for his small home in the southeast part of the city. While most people didn't know it, he'd managed to put together a ridiculously nice library on all things supernatural, and James intended to put it to use.

Assuming nothing crazy happens on the way to his home, James will hit up his library to do some research.

Lore(+5): [roll0]

Note, the library is rated at Good(+3), so if the task of researching Jack of the Green is more challenging than that, then James won't find exactly what he's looking for (though he still might find hints if his roll is high enough and the DM feels it fits).

Veet
2012-12-28, 12:49 AM
William

William looked down at himself for a moment, at his leather jacket, his Darling Violetta t-shirt, and his skinny black jeans. Running a hand across his face, he felt the cool metal of the nose ring and the two lip rings that he had, finally smirking and eyeing the counter jockey, "Do I look like a cop? Seriously, I'm just a friend of a friend. Laura's roommate is worried sick about her, just wants to make sure she's alright, you know?"

Deceit Roll: [roll0] + 4 = 6

He looks you up an down then shrugs "I know a girl named Laura that comes here sometimes, she's real into old European mythology" He thinks for a second "Saw her a couple days ago last, she was looking for stuff on fairies and old Celtic religions".

Veet
2012-12-28, 12:53 AM
Toby

Every warning siren in Touby's mind was going like a four alarm blaze, but he stayed calm and tried to smile reassuringly. "I'm sure she's fine, sir. But if you want, I'll keep my eye out for her. Most of us don't have anywhere else to go, it isn't right that she's out here when she has something to go back to."

He took a deep breath and tried to keep his tone interested but not overly so. "Where are you staying, maybe I can let you know if I see her?"

He flamboyantly flicks his wrist and a white card appears in his hand "I can be reached here" he hands it to Touby. A business in small black print on one side it reads 'Lapin Blanc' on the other a phone number. He then gestures back to the police tape on the building "Something happened here recently?" he inquires "Don't worry if it sounds queer, I'll believe it".

Veet
2012-12-28, 12:59 AM
James 'Drake' Davis

"I'm going to do a little research, see if I can find out anything about this 'Jack of the Green' fella. A Fae with a title like that should have something in the old tales. I'll be back in time for the evening rush, see if I can't learn anything from some of our regulars."

With that, James walks over to where he'd left Becky to call the police and make her report. "If you find out anything that might help us in our search, or if you just feel uncomfortable or scared, feel free to call or come over here. You can even stay for the evening, if you'd like. Anyone gives you any trouble, you just talk to ol' Oleg over there," he said, pointing over to the giant behind the bar. "He's a good fellow, keeps an eye on things around here."

Grabbing his coat, James then headed out the door, hopping into his beat up old jeep and heading for his small home in the southeast part of the city. While most people didn't know it, he'd managed to put together a ridiculously nice library on all things supernatural, and James intended to put it to use.

Assuming nothing crazy happens on the way to his home, James will hit up his library to do some research.

Lore(+5): [roll0]

Note, the library is rated at Good(+3), so if the task of researching Jack of the Green is more challenging than that, then James won't find exactly what he's looking for (though he still might find hints if his roll is high enough and the DM feels it fits).

Jack of the Green is not hard at all to find in James library. Sometimes called 'The Green Man' A prominent figure in many traditional May Day celebrations in parts of Europe, thought to be a throw back from older religions. Some traditions say he is the son of another figure called 'Old Man of the Forrest'.

AvianMalkavian
2012-12-28, 07:28 PM
William

William mutters 'of course she was' under his breath before quickly smiling and nodding, "Right. Yeah, do you happen to know what she was looking for specifically? Do you know if she was doing this research with anyone else? Sorry, I don't mean to take up your time with all these questions, but anything you can tell me helps."

Veet
2012-12-28, 09:46 PM
William

William mutters 'of course she was' under his breath before quickly smiling and nodding, "Right. Yeah, do you happen to know what she was looking for specifically? Do you know if she was doing this research with anyone else? Sorry, I don't mean to take up your time with all these questions, but anything you can tell me helps."

He nods "Yeah I spent some time helping her find some titles she said she was doing a paper on an old deity called The Old Man of the Forest, even ordered a title for her online that we didn't have here 'The Four Knaves' It actually arrived yesterday but she hasn't picked it up. Want me to tell her you're looking for her when she picks it up?"

Green Bean
2012-12-28, 10:28 PM
Toby

Touby considered lying, but the rumours would be all over the place anyway so there wasn't much to gain. He shrugged. "Hard to say - I heard some big green guy trashed the place looking for someone. But who knows? We don't always see everything the same way you would."

Rizhail
2012-12-31, 12:20 AM
James 'Drake' Davis

Rubbing his eyes after an hour or two of searching his library, James sat back in his chair and sighed. The information he had found was useful, sure, but not as detailed as he'd like. Still, it was a solid start.

He hopped back in his jeep and made the trip back to the Dragon's Lair, looking to question his regulars once the night rush began.

Veet
2013-01-01, 11:53 PM
Toby

Touby considered lying, but the rumours would be all over the place anyway so there wasn't much to gain. He shrugged. "Hard to say - I heard some big green guy trashed the place looking for someone. But who knows? We don't always see everything the same way you would."

Blanc strokes his mustache with his thumb and forefinger in thought, "Interesting. Interesting indeed. I've wasted enough of your time my boy, you've been most helpful why don't you have a hot meal on me" he presses something into Touby's hand then tilts his hat with the crook of his umbrella before walking off into the rain. Touby looks down to find a twenty dollar bill in his hand then looks up to see no sign of Blanc.

Veet
2013-01-01, 11:57 PM
James 'Drake' Davis

Rubbing his eyes after an hour or two of searching his library, James sat back in his chair and sighed. The information he had found was useful, sure, but not as detailed as he'd like. Still, it was a solid start.

He hopped back in his jeep and made the trip back to the Dragon's Lair, looking to question his regulars once the night rush began.

It's dark by the time James pulls in to his parking spot. Dinner crowd should be in full swing by now. He walks in seeing several regulars around at the tables Oleg waves a piece of paper in the air as he heads back to the bar a message, it reads:

Possible reds asking about Blanc, we should talk.
J Glick

Rizhail
2013-01-03, 03:58 PM
James 'Drake' Davis

James headed back to his office and picked up the phone, calling Mr. Glick back.

"Hello again, John," James said when the phone finally picked up. "Before you fill me in on Blanc, I've got a little info on this Jack fella. Name's 'Jack of the Green' or 'The Green Man', an old Sidhe related to May Day celebrations. He's been bugging changelings around town, asking about an old man; may be related to another fae he's supposed to be descended from, the old man of the forest. Let any other changelings know that this guy may be major league bad news."