PDA

View Full Version : The Other Legend

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-11, 05:43 AM
Some of you are surely familiar with Legend, the game from Mongoose Publishing. I am not. I was aware it existed, but never enough to spend money on it. However, it is currently very cheap on DriveThruRPG, costing a single dollar (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/97239/Legend), so I got it.

Still don't have an opinion about it. What about you guys?

Hopeless
2012-12-11, 07:38 AM
Its okay I bought Monsters of Legend, Arms of Legend along with the base rules and also went for Vikings of Legend and the first Blood Magic book.

Wasn't really looking for an rpg that locks on an actual historical setting for a game but with the base rules you can pretty much run any fantasy setting you want and use any of their runequest 2 supplements for anything else although they've yet to release anything about cults which is why I mentioned Runequest 2.

I've been running games inspired by Pathfinder scenarios and fitting in a storyline set in a future earth setting where humanity are barely rebuilding their civilisation.

What would you like to run?

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-11, 08:23 AM
What would you like to run?

I don't think I'll run it anytime soon, actually. Too much in my plate.

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-11, 10:07 PM
I only have the one pdf (as it was free when I downloaded it). I definitely like Legend, and I'll probably like it more if/when I ever get the other books.

My thoughts on the system*:
Legend seems like a "fix" for 3.5: it addresses a lot of things I've heard people complaining about (massive power disparity between classes, for example) and made the entire system less complicated. I think I could describe most, if not all of the relevant parts of the system to someone new to Legend and get them working on a character within 15 minutes; something I don't think I could do with 3.5. I like that it's a d20 system, because that's something I'm familiar with.

I recall reading that monsters were basically just a racial track that was multiclassed into another class's chassis, which I thought was pretty interesting. Assuming that all of the monster tracks are reasonably balanced (which may be an unreasonable assumption), this would open up a lot of character concepts that would've been unplayable or difficult to do in 3.5.

Overall, Legend seems to support a relatively high-powered gaming style, where high-level characters are akin to gods. I prefer a little lower-powered stuff, but it's at least the system is internally consistent.

*(Note: I'm going to make a lot of comparisons to D&D 3.5, because that's what I'm most familiar with. It's certainly not the only other system that I could compare Legend to, but it's all I have to go off of)

Edit: Wrong Legend. I think I'll pay more attention, from here on out.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-11, 10:17 PM
I only have the one pdf (as it was free when I downloaded it). I definitely like Legend, and I'll probably like it more if/when I ever get the other books.

I'm not talking about this game. The title is "the other legend" for a reason. :smallwink:
The Legend you're talking about is an indie game by Rule of Cool. The Legend I'm talking about is a mainstream game by Mongoose Publishing.

Amidus Drexel
2012-12-11, 10:21 PM
I'm not talking about this game. The title is "the other legend" for a reason. :smallwink:
The Legend you're talking about is an indie game by Rule of Cool. The Legend I'm talking about is a mainstream game by Mongoose Publishing.

Gah, I wasn't paying any attention. :smallredface: