PDA

View Full Version : Truenamer Question

thriceborn
2012-12-11, 08:19 AM
So, I'm thinking of playing a truenamer next, and I was looking over the class. One thing I keep seeing on here is that they get Gate at Level 20 at will. All I see is that people can summon them from anywhere, but not that they can summon anyone else. Can someone help me out?

Psyren
2012-12-11, 09:37 AM
It's an Utterance. Conjunctive Gate, from the Lexicon of the Perfected Map, ToM pg. 251.

thriceborn
2012-12-11, 10:06 AM
It's an Utterance. Conjunctive Gate, from the Lexicon of the Perfected Map, ToM pg. 251.

So when people say they get Gate as a level 20 ability, speaking like it's a class feature, and something they auto get is like saying a Sorcerer gets Wish at level 17? It's a choice to be made, but not the only choice avaliable.

Psyren
2012-12-11, 10:12 AM
So when people say they get Gate as a level 20 ability, speaking like it's a class feature, and something they auto get is like saying a Sorcerer gets Wish at level 17? It's a choice to be made, but not the only choice avaliable.

That's because it's a no-brainer. Why would you choose anything besides XP-free, spammable Gate? Especially after suffering through 19 levels of Truenamer? You've earned it at that point.

And though Sorcerers get wish, the 5000 XP price tag makes it Awesome But Impractical in most fights.

Radar
2012-12-11, 04:52 PM
All you wanted to know about Truenamers, but were afraid to experiance personally. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214115)

This class is challenging. It's difficult to even keep being able to use your abilities and those aren't that good most of the time anyway.

Starbuck_II
2012-12-11, 05:13 PM
That's because it's a no-brainer. Why would you choose anything besides XP-free, spammable Gate? Especially after suffering through 19 levels of Truenamer? You've earned it at that point.

And though Sorcerers get wish, the 5000 XP price tag makes it Awesome But Impractical in most fights.

But you played Truenamer in the 1st place because you wanted a challenge; why end the challenge and have something useful like gate.

Or in other terms:
This is Fox only, final desination, you can't have gate.

Psyren
2012-12-11, 05:27 PM
But you played Truenamer in the 1st place because you wanted a challenge; why end the challenge and have something useful like gate.

Or in other terms:
This is Fox only, final desination, you can't have gate.

Raising a Magikarp/Metapod is a challenge too. That doesn't mean I don't want my g*****n Gyarados/Butterfree after all that sweat and toil.

Tokuhara
2012-12-11, 10:53 PM
Raising a Magikarp/Metapod is a challenge too. That doesn't mean I don't want my g*****n Gyarados/Butterfree after all that sweat and toil.

My friend, that statement is very wise.

And now, something funny:

http://www.profilebrand.com/funny-pictures/category/cartoons/611_magikarp-kills-us-all.gif

Blackfang108
2012-12-11, 11:41 PM

It's a lot easier if you start from a caterpie. At least then your Metapod can Tackle. :p

But yeah, I concur.